Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Ideas for Lent Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
kbaldwin
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 20 2010 at 3:38pm | IP Logged Quote kbaldwin

Lent is really tough around here my husband works late hours 7 days a week (he is a CPA). I always need new ideas and I have to plan early because I get a little overwhelmed during this time. Lots of weeks I don't get to mass because my little ones are so little and hard to manage alone. dh goes just 1 block from his office. Looking for some interesting things to do with small kids.

Elena
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 20 2010 at 7:05pm | IP Logged Quote Elena

I blogged about some things we've done at my home before. Maybe you will find these helpful?

One Day at a Time

Back to Top View Elena's Profile Search for other posts by Elena Visit Elena's Homepage

Michiel
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 20 2010 at 8:16pm | IP Logged Quote Michiel

Kim,
I know what you're talking about: my dad was self-employed CPA, AND my birthday was April 9. What birthday? Very busy time.

I did NOT marry a CPA, but even so, I believe in keeping it simple. I have to remind myself of that a lot.

Boy, do I sympathize about handling the kiddos at Mass. Here are some thoughts: some tween-age girls could sit with you and help with the tiny ones, or your own if sibs will tolerate it. Also, my very ADHD son does very well at daily Mass, probably because it's only 25 minutes long and minus a lot of extra stimulation. Perhaps attending a daily Mass weekly would be something meaningful for your family.

We have been talking to our boys about simply giving something up and using the money to donate to cause of choice. For younger ones, an emphasis on kind and loving acts is nice.

None of these things is very exciting, sorry, but hope it might get the idea mill rolling.

Back to Top View Michiel's Profile Search for other posts by Michiel

Matilda
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 21 2010 at 8:57am | IP Logged Quote Matilda

We have done different things in the past (which you can see a round-up of here) but our primary traditions include Mass on Friday followed by a pretzels and water lunch, Divine Mercy chaplet in place of regular night prayers, making charitable contributions, and counting down the days to Our Lord's Resurrection with a calendar that helps us keep focus on our journey. Praying, fasting and giving alms... these are our primary concerns.

Waltzing Matilda
Back to Top View Matilda's Profile Search for other posts by Matilda

Chris V
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 21 2010 at 9:15am | IP Logged Quote Chris V

Thanks ladies, for posting some links for resources about Lent ~ I'm going to take some time today and browse through them.

Last year I was able to download (for free), a handout called Lent Activities for the Family, by Miiko Gibson. She has outlined 49 different activities to do with small children (and some ideas for older children), I wish I could post it! but cannot distribute it. Though it is not specifically geared toward Catholics, it was a really *great* and fun way to have my littles involved in Lent. I'm sure you can look through her website, I know she has last year's still available (just google Miiko Gibson).

What I chose to do with my kids (for our daily activities) was to put all these ideas (49 of them, written on bits of paper) into a large, decorative bowl, used as a center piece on our kitchen table. Each day they would take turns picking a folded piece of paper out of the bowl, then read the activity for the day ~ we'd do whatever the activity was that they chose. *fun* ... Our Lent Bowl

...I'm looking forward to expanding my horizons this year, as they're all a year older and have grown in faith and understanding

Back to Top View Chris V's Profile Search for other posts by Chris V

pixilated_momma
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 21 2010 at 1:01pm | IP Logged Quote pixilated_momma

Here are ideas from my blog. You just have to scroll past the definition of Lent. :)

Hope that helps!

Back to Top View pixilated_momma's Profile Search for other posts by pixilated_momma Visit pixilated_momma's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Jan 22 2010 at 1:28am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

There is a wealth of information shared on the topic over the 5 Lents we have shared on the forum. I picked a few them to review. Most of these old threads have some ideas for young kids.

Lenten activities
What books do you pull out for Lent?
Music for Lent
How Will You Decorate for Lent?
Family Lenten Activities
Christmas Tree and Lent
Lent craft: Act of Contrition Cross
Another children's activity for Lent

Some Lenten calendar threads:
Lent calendar and daily readings
Lenten Calendar
Children's Lenten Calendar

Jenn's Holy Week FAQ has lots of resources and links which apply not only to Holy Week but all of Lent.

And this reminded me that we should be putting the past threads and ideas in this planning thread for the season.
Lent and Easter Lit. Planning Thread - so add your ideas there as well. Thanks!!

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

kbaldwin
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Jan 23 2010 at 3:42pm | IP Logged Quote kbaldwin

Thanks this will keep me busy for a while

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version