Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Music for Lent Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
missionfamily
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 26 2009 at 4:55pm | IP Logged Quote missionfamily

I would love to have some music to focus on as we try to settle into prayer throughout the day and to keep the tone of Lent going in the background throughout our days. Any suggestions for good Lenten meditation music?

Footprints on the Fridge
Back to Top View missionfamily's Profile Search for other posts by missionfamily Visit missionfamily's Homepage

Matilda
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 26 2009 at 8:09pm | IP Logged Quote Matilda

Ooooh. I would like to know too. I am thinking of some kind of chant, but I have no recommendations specifically.

Waltzing Matilda
Back to Top View Matilda's Profile Search for other posts by Matilda

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 26 2009 at 9:07pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Me too - I was going to ask the same question. I have been listening to the Stabat Mater, Were you there and Saint Matthew's Passion.

I would love to know some Lenten hymns.

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

TracyFD
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 27 2009 at 5:27am | IP Logged Quote TracyFD

There are some wonderful looking CDs found on Amazon by searching the music category under "passion Christ".

Music of the Passion of Christ

A Season of Passion

During circle time we are focusing on learning a verse a week of "These 40 Days of Lent O Lord" and "O Sacred Head Surrounded".

Pinewood Castle
Back to Top View TracyFD's Profile Search for other posts by TracyFD Visit TracyFD's Homepage

TracyFD
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 27 2009 at 5:34am | IP Logged Quote TracyFD

Also this one - try out the listening samples of

Palestrina's Music for Good Friday

Pinewood Castle
Back to Top View TracyFD's Profile Search for other posts by TracyFD Visit TracyFD's Homepage

TracyFD
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 27 2009 at 5:37am | IP Logged Quote TracyFD

I am so sorry - one more - you've got me going on this one!

I remember Gesualdo from music history classes as a favorite!

Gesualdo: Tenebrae

Pinewood Castle

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 27 2009 at 4:09pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Okay, I've been giving this thread way too much thought, but it's for my home, too.

The Lenten Liturgy isn't really characterized by music.

From the GIRM: In Lent the playing of the organ and musical instruments is allowed only to support the singing. Exceptions are Laetare Sunday (Fourth Sunday of Lent), Solemnities, and Feasts.

But of course our homes don't necessarily reflect that. I'm making a round-about point that there isn't an emphasis on hymns during Lent, but silence.

There are some hymns or chants that would be great for Lenten family singing:
Stabat Mater (At the Cross Her Station Keeping)
Parce Domine
Adoremus Te, Christe
O Sacred Head Surrounded
Attende Domine

Maria von Trapp had two hymns in her Around the Year with the Trapp Family, and I've included the sheet music in a .pdf file.

I like to make a contrast with Holy Week, particularly the Triduum and the rest of Lent. So for my house, I'm choosing music that is more of the minor key, and perhaps some folk music (because life still continues). Classical music Masses in minor keys would be great background music, and then also chant cds.

I'm not saying buy all these cds. I'm just giving some ideas of types of music. Do try the library. I've got a few copies of old records on my bookshelves (I love using our record player) and I bought these used and for very little money.

The reason why I say folk music is because I love to play my very favorite cd all year round: Trapp Family Singers: One Voice

This is a great collection, the most recordings you can find under one album (2 cds) from the Trapp Family Records. I digress. I just love playing the second cd.
I have been collecting old lps to find their music, and now most of them are here. I haven't found as many of their religious music cds. There are some recordings here, but they did some really highbrow choal works I'd love to here. I think they are in 78 rpm, though.

My mother was the director for this recording: Non Nobis Domine There are only two hymns that fit into the Easter category, otherwise all the music is good background, and the Lenten ones are Parce Domine, and O Sacred Head Surrounded. I think it's a good one, although I'm trying to get her to do another few cds that cover particular seasons.

Gregorian Anthology by Monks of Solesmes has all through the liturgical year, but for Lent it includes
Nos autem (Holy Thursday)
Christus factus (Holy Thursday)
Ubi caritas (Holy Thursday)
Pange Lingua (Holy Thursday)
Tenebrae (Good Friday)
Vexilla regis (Good Friday)
Ecce quomodo (Holy Saturday)

Saint Meinrad Gregorian Chant Schola Lent & Easter CD Both Lent and Easter, unfortunately.

So much of the chant cds are based on Holy Week, so that's when I plan on playing most of them: Gregorian Chant for Lent and Easter. I love all from Solesmes.

Music for the Paschal Triduum I've enjoyed hearing music from other Byzantine liturgies, like the Ukrainian rite. I'd love recommendations for this area. I've heard some cds when I've gone to a psyanky workshop, and now I'm very interested in playing them at home.

For the classical music background:

Victoria Tenebrae Responses

Eastertide: Music for Lent, Passiontide and Easter

Bach: St. Matthew's Pasion

Bach: St. John Passion

Bach: Mass in B minor

There are even some online sources that you can create your own collection of Latin chants for Lent and Easter: All Masses of the Liturgical Year

Tridentine

I'd love a cd dedicated to Lent and Passiontide completely, both hymns and chant and polyphony. (I'd also like one for Advent, too). Wish there was such an animal.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 27 2009 at 4:15pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

One more on my mind: Passion parts of Handel's Messiah.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 03 2009 at 11:29am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I'm going to add some more suggestions, since I'm still on the soapbox. I recently ordered two cds from The Sisters of the Most Precious Blood. These are delightful recordings done by their congregation in the 60s, but remastered. They are nice background music. I was reminded to add these because that's what they are doing right now in my house -- background music.

The Abbey of Regina Laudis have 3 cds of their own recordings which are lovely. The Christmas wouldn't be appropriate, but the other two again would be nice background chant. The Gregorian Chant Workshop is incredible and really a great place to start learning about chant.

missionfamily
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 03 2009 at 1:17pm | IP Logged Quote missionfamily

Oh Jen...thanks. I filled our laptop library and my iPod with those Mass parts...amazing and these from the Sisters of the Most Precious Blood will be ideal to keep a reflective tone throughout our days. Exactly what I hoped to find.

Footprints on the Fridge
Back to Top View missionfamily's Profile Search for other posts by missionfamily Visit missionfamily's Homepage

Marcia
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 04 2009 at 8:57pm | IP Logged Quote Marcia

http://www.byzantinecatholic.com/music.htm
Back to Top View Marcia's Profile Search for other posts by Marcia

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 05 2009 at 10:53am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Beautiful, Marcia!

And it's because of your link that I had a memory jog and finally found a thread I've been looking for ages!

Schola Cantorum Recordings, especially the site Liturgica.com -- such a terrific collection of music from all liturgies.

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 05 2009 at 2:14pm | IP Logged Quote Maryan

Jenn, great, great, great stuff.

Magdalen College sells some various liturgical cds. You can listen to a sample as well.

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

Maria B.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 06 2009 at 9:31pm | IP Logged Quote Maria B.

Just saw this on Zenit ...

Vatican Offers Internet Lenten Music

VATICAN CITY, MARCH 6, 2009 (Zenit.org).- The Holy See is offering online sacred music to help people worldwide to live this Lent with a spirit of prayer and reflection.
In a special Lenten section of the Vatican Web site, one can listen to liturgical hymns performed by the Musical Chorus of the Sistine Chapel, which for centuries has interpreted music for the Pope's liturgical celebrations. It is directed by Monsignor Giuseppe Liberto, and the oldest choir of its genre.

The site offers five Lenten hymns with lyrics and music, including "M'invochera e Io L'esaudiro" and "Signore, Il Tuo Mostrami Volto."

It also offers passages interpreted by the Pontifical Institute of Sacred Music in Rome, a scientific and academic institution founded by the Holy See, directed by Monsignor Valenti Miserachs Grau.

--- --- ---

On the Net:

Vatican Lenten Web site: http://www.vatican.va/liturgical_year/lent/2009/index_lent20 09_en.html

Back to Top View Maria B.'s Profile Search for other posts by Maria B. Visit Maria B.'s Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 11 2009 at 12:41pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Paraclete Press is running a March Madness Sale from now until Sunday, March 15. So those cds of Monks of Solesmes could be $10. You have to click on each cd to see if it's on sale.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 26 2009 at 10:37am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

JennGM wrote:
Paraclete Press is running a March Madness Sale from now until Sunday, March 15. So those cds of Monks of Solesmes could be $10. You have to click on each cd to see if it's on sale.

They are running the sale again, now until March 31.

See this post for Top 5 Cds No Catholic Should Be The comments have some other suggestions. I was intrigued by the suggestion of recordings by Fontgombault, the daughter-house of Solesmes. I had watched a wonderful documentary on EWTN about them, and didn't realize there were recordings. But it looks like you can't get them in America

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 21 2012 at 4:49pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

I am going through our Lenten plans and just realized I had neglected music!    So here I am making a list and decided to check back here -- I should have known you already had this covered, Jenn et al!! Thank you so much!

Also adding a few more I found from my search:

O Sacred Head Now Wounded (is this the same thing as O Sacred Head Surrounded mentioned above?)
Amazing Grace (traditional lyrics)
Dies Irae
Tallis' Spem in Alium
Tallis' Lamentations in Jeremiah

I suppose some of those would be more appropriate for Holy Week?

Maria posted about the offerings from the Vatican -- thought I'd add the direct links here: here's one link and another

Thanks for all the work on this, ladies! Populating my playlist now....

PS I've also had to add some modern/ non-traditional/non-Catholic pieces to round it out for my teens here.... so I've got Matt Maher's 40 Days, Worthy is the Lamb, Twila Paris' Lamb of God, and What Wondrous Love is This.

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Feb 27 2012 at 3:48am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

JennGM wrote:

The Abbey of Regina Laudis have 3 cds of their own recordings which are lovely. The Christmas wouldn't be appropriate, but the other two again would be nice background chant.

This is very much a side note, but since Jenn frequently recommends the cds from the sisters at the Abbey of Regina Laudis I wanted to post a link to a great story about the Mother Superior there - Sister Dolores (Dolores Hart).

A documentary about her story and the life of hte sisters in general was nominated for an Academy Award in the documentary short category (it didn't win though ) - God is the Bigger Elvis

A Nun Returns to the Red Carpet

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 27 2012 at 6:53am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

MaryM wrote:
JennGM wrote:

The Abbey of Regina Laudis have 3 cds of their own recordings which are lovely. The Christmas wouldn't be appropriate, but the other two again would be nice background chant.

This is very much a side note, but since Jenn frequently recommends the cds from the sisters at the Abbey of Regina Laudis I wanted to post a link to a great story about the Mother Superior there - Sister Dolores (Dolores Hart).

A documentary about her story and the life of hte sisters in general was nominated for an Academy Award in the documentary short category (it didn't win though ) - God is the Bigger Elvis

A Nun Returns to the Red Carpet

I'm sad she didn't win. I've had so many connections to Regina Laudis in my readings, especially the Gregorian Chant connection. There's a book on the convent, Mother Benedict: Foundress of the Abbey of Regina Laudis which includes some of Mother Dolores story.

She has been on EWTN and other places the past few years. You can find some video on YouTube and EWTN website for some audio files, too.

I think the publicity is somewhat to help their fundraising project. The monastery is in need of repairs and so they have a fundraising campaign.

CatholicMommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 27 2012 at 8:38am | IP Logged Quote CatholicMommy

JennGM wrote:

This link doesn't seem to work - is there another one?

Back to Top View CatholicMommy's Profile Search for other posts by CatholicMommy Visit CatholicMommy's Homepage

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version