Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Planning and Ordering our Days
 4Real Forums : Planning and Ordering our Days
Subject Topic: Help! Making it manageable Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Booksnbabes
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 11 2010 at 10:13pm | IP Logged Quote Booksnbabes

Big plans? I got 'em. The problem is breaking it down into manageable pieces. I get stymied by MA (which we have tried to use) because there is no daily breakdown--the flexibility I crave is my undoing! Yet Kolbe, Seton, and MODG are so uninspiring to me and so...boring! I can see my kids saying, "Really, this is all we're doing today?"

So how do you lesson plan? Really? How do you know what is practical/reasonable/doable for a day? I want to be able to have everything laid out, but I tend to just jump into things figuring I'll work it all out later.    I'm very much at the end of my rope about this as I feel we've accomplished nothing over the past couple months. It isn't enough that we get math done a couple times a week and the kids read a lot (it isn't, I know it, and dh knows it, and we're starting to seriously consider enrolling them in CLAA or the local Catholic school because of my inability to organize and follow through on the day).

These are personal faults. I don't like routine. I am a last-minute, fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants type of person. I rarely worked on a research paper before the day it was due. I crammed for Chemistry all the time. It worked for me as an individual. It is NOT working for me as head of a school of two (8 and 6 but nearly 9 and 7), with two more (4 and 1) looming!

It is even more frustrating because I am trying to work on those faults, set a bedtime and wake up routine, set a general outline for the day of when things should be done. But EVERY time I get a good rhythm going, life knocks it out of the ballpark and I'm left watching all my pretty intentions shatter around me. I'm physically exhausted, mentally frozen, and I would say it's burn-out but it is all.the.time!   

The big plan this year was Connecting With History as the core, connecting all other studies to it. But I got the manual, opened it up, and never could figure out HOW to do the wretched program!!! I love the materials, I just can't figure out how to make a semblance of a lesson plan from them (despite the sheets provided).

What is it in me that cannot wrap my head around planning? I read these lovely threads about sitting down with one's binders and folders and boxes and baskets, and I aspire to enjoy those things. But I don't because no matter how many things I have or pretty surroundings, no matter how many days I have to organize and plan, I cannot do it. It is so overwhelming and I inevitably aim too high, think too big, and cause problems for us all. I've read every thread in the Planning forum and to no avail. It still doesn't sink in.

*whew!*

Ok, so I've vented and feel a bit better, but I still don't know how it is done! Help!

God bless you!

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 11 2010 at 10:36pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

You might want to consider reading the book ADD friendly ways to organize your life

It won't tell you how to organize your homeschooling.. but it will help you learn some strategies that work for people that have a hard time learning to organize.

what works best for me is something more like lists.. so that we just do the next thing whether we do 6 pages of math in one day of one week or 1 page each day

so like plan for "day one", "day 2" etc rather than January 2, January 3 etc or even Monday, Tuesday etc.

that way when you get knocked off schedule.. you just pick it right back up whereever you left off.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 11 2010 at 10:57pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Booksnbabes wrote:
I've read every thread in the Planning forum and to no avail. It still doesn't sink in.

OK.....so we know what doesn't work.... . Reading "general planning" threads/ideas, etc. about HOW to plan...

How about getting more specific? What about taking your oldest child---age 8, I think??---and using this thread to get ideas, establish some parameters for this particular child and start with that.

Hopefully others with a 7-8-9 yo at a similiar "level" will chime in and use concrete examples that help them??

Does that sound like it would help???? Or is that too specific and sounds overwhelming too?

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

mama2many
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 12 2010 at 7:21am | IP Logged Quote mama2many

Booksnbabes wrote:
Big plans? I got 'em. The problem is breaking it down into manageable pieces. I get stymied by MA (which we have tried to use) because there is no daily breakdown--the flexibility I crave is my undoing! Yet Kolbe, Seton, and MODG are so uninspiring to me and so...boring! I can see my kids saying, "Really, this is all we're doing today?"

So how do you lesson plan? Really? How do you know what is practical/reasonable/doable for a day? I want to be able to have everything laid out, but I tend to just jump into things figuring I'll work it all out later.    I'm very much at the end of my rope about this as I feel we've accomplished nothing over the past couple months. It isn't enough that we get math done a couple times a week and the kids read a lot (it isn't, I know it, and dh knows it, and we're starting to seriously consider enrolling them in CLAA or the local Catholic school because of my inability to organize and follow through on the day).

These are personal faults. I don't like routine. I am a last-minute, fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants type of person. I rarely worked on a research paper before the day it was due. I crammed for Chemistry all the time. It worked for me as an individual. It is NOT working for me as head of a school of two (8 and 6 but nearly 9 and 7), with two more (4 and 1) looming!

It is even more frustrating because I am trying to work on those faults, set a bedtime and wake up routine, set a general outline for the day of when things should be done. But EVERY time I get a good rhythm going, life knocks it out of the ballpark and I'm left watching all my pretty intentions shatter around me. I'm physically exhausted, mentally frozen, and I would say it's burn-out but it is all.the.time!   

The big plan this year was Connecting With History as the core, connecting all other studies to it. But I got the manual, opened it up, and never could figure out HOW to do the wretched program!!! I love the materials, I just can't figure out how to make a semblance of a lesson plan from them (despite the sheets provided).

What is it in me that cannot wrap my head around planning? I read these lovely threads about sitting down with one's binders and folders and boxes and baskets, and I aspire to enjoy those things. But I don't because no matter how many things I have or pretty surroundings, no matter how many days I have to organize and plan, I cannot do it. It is so overwhelming and I inevitably aim too high, think too big, and cause problems for us all. I've read every thread in the Planning forum and to no avail. It still doesn't sink in.

*whew!*

Ok, so I've vented and feel a bit better, but I still don't know how it is done! Help!

God bless you!

We were separated at birth!!!!!!! I'm using Seton right now, but REALLY want to move to CM (thinking "real learning") because I was a HORRIBLE student, but workbooks are dry and boring!
I hope to get some of the ideas given to you to use in my own life!!

M (12/00)
J (12/01)
K (6/06)
J (7/08)
A (7/10)
C (11/12)
My Clones in Action

Back to Top View mama2many's Profile Search for other posts by mama2many Visit mama2many's Homepage

Mimip
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 12 2010 at 7:40am | IP Logged Quote Mimip

Books,

I just wanted to get on before the Board closes for the Fall retreat and tell you that I'm praying for you.

I too am using Connecting Through History and would be more than happy to brainstorm with you. Just PM me and we'll talk

Sometimes when you get to this point its everything around you that seems to be failing, so the school work gets blamed. I know that is not always the case but in my experience its not just an inability to plan. Your heart is so good and your intentions are there: NOW its time to find out why the school work is not happening. It sounds like even if you planned out a curriculum the school work would not be happening?

Jumping on what Jodie and Suzanne said I know that the idea of a checklist for my oldest two, 10 and 8 has really helped. We copied down all the chapters of a book I wanted covered and then each day she highlighted the list when she was done. She is a workbook kid so I just made a checklist for her that said: Handwriting, Reading, Phonics, Math and so on. Each day she knew which book to use for each subject and then either wrote the page or lesson or chapter that she did. I took copywork out of our History at the beginning of the year and made her a series of folders for her to work on using Notebooking pages.

Other subjects we work on together, like Poetry and Art and Music and Science and History. We use the Morning basket idea that Jen talks about and just doing that in the morning covers a multitude of sins

I so feel for you Books, I am the same way, grand plans and then I stick to NOTHING! But I realized that school is just a symptom of what my shortcomings brings out. I struggle each and everyday against laziness and getting up and doing stuff and getting my kids to learn enough. I finally realized that I NEED ORDER and that I need to guard against others wanting my time. The only way I finally got ahead was to listen to so many wise women here and guard my time and guard my interruptions. Order my days with prayer and cleanliness and simplify my expectations and I am finally feeling like I can take a breath and I really WILL be able to home educate my children

A wise woman once told me that God asks nothing more than this very moment. So this very moment know that we are praying for you and that this very moment you can give to Jesus and ask for His help.

Many blessings to you and please be assured I'll be thinking of you often this day. And sorry this was soooo long, totally did not expect that.

Back to Top View Mimip's Profile Search for other posts by Mimip

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 12 2010 at 8:32am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Books, I could have written your post word for word. And this week everything seems to be falling around my ears; I'm just overwhelmed and kicking myself at my inadequacies and faults.

I think this is a big temperament issue. I'm melancholic/choleric. I have tendency for perfectionism. So if I don't have the perfect plan, see it all laid out, I'm stymied and feel like I can't do it, so just hobble along in a mish mash way. I'm always looking for the big window of time to plan, and it never happens.

So big hugs and prayers.

I don't have answers for all the problems, as I'm working out things for myself right now, too.

Some items that are key for me:

1) I needed to read When Children Love to Learn and places like Simply Charlotte Mason and Jen's Language Arts posts to understand how CM works and how DIFFERENT it's going to feel in the day-to-day than traditional schooling.

15 minute lessons ARE short and there was a questioning at first of Am I doing enough? Am I doing it correctly? Are we learning? The answers were quite freeing and quite a relief that I was on track despite my inadequacies. I don't need to do unit studies. I don't have to have things planned to the nitty gritty. I am leading, but the child should be making his own connections because that is how he learns.

2) I need to see the big picture, what the CM (or MA) subjects are and all books required for the year. The site isn't visual for me, and I need to see in spreadsheet or list form, so I had to type that up for myself.

3) This is the key one for me, what does a week and a day look like in the life of? Do I do each subject every day? How do I spread out copywork, dictation, narration, poetry? History every day? Religion, how do I break that down. This is missing link for me. Because I'm not following a program just so, I have to make some decisions here on my own, and I'm not quite sure how to spread it all out.

4) Then I needed to see a breakdown of the subjects for the year, for the term, and for the week.

5) Then it's trying to fit this in my daily schedule, which for now has too much flux and flow. I'm trying to really straighten it out. Back to Standard Time has helped me a bit because I can get up earlier without too much problem (of course, this week I got sick, so then it HAS bene hard).

6) I can see I need uninterrupted planning and quiet time. I NEEEEEED it, and probably will be asking my husband if I can go to the library or something so that I won't be interrupted. If I'm here, it's too distracting.

I do insist on a daily quiet time, but I do snatch a nap when I need it, so it's not always the best time to do some major planning. I am trying to fit in personal time like prayer, spiritual reading, exercise and it doesn't always fall into place.

7) I need to work on a routine of household cleaning, and kids' chores. That's my current goal, because everything is falling around my ears right now. It's a vicious cycle. If my house isn't clean, or if I'm not getting adequate prayer time, or I'm not rested, or not eating right or exercising, it's hard to concentrate and motivate myself to make the daily homeschool life happen. I'm not saying that I have to have all my ducks in a row before I can make it happen, I'm saying that having some holes in my program of life are distractions and weak spots.

Although I'm a perfectionist, I'm not an idealist. I'm actually more of a minimalist and realist. I have big ideas and enjoy them, but practically speaking I know I have limitations, some of them physical, so I do try to not overburden myself.

Questions pop up. Want to hear a few?

Quote:
::Narrate for everything? If a child plows through a book, do I ask for narration on the whole thing? Should I be pacing him for just a few chapters so he can zoom on details?

::Am I lacking in phonics? My son is reading at higher levels, but when he reads out loud, there are lots of mispronouncements. Do I need to go back and reinforce phonics?

::Copywork and dictation are slow. Do I have him copy the dictation work the day before?

Etc. I doubt myself along the way.

I'm still a work in progress. Life happens and since my plans weren't all laid out, we have been floundering a bit. This time of year is always exciting to me, as both the season of the year (autumn/winter) and the Liturgical season point on the Last Things. It gives me a good soul searching, helps me zoom in on my faults, offer up for the Poor Souls, and with the New liturgical Year in Advent I can try to turn a new leaf.

I'm always hopeful!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Nov 12 2010 at 8:57am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Booksnbabes wrote:
Big plans? I got 'em. The problem is breaking it down into manageable pieces.

So...this is a big start. What are your big plans? Do you want to talk specifics? You have 2 children we can help you plan for/with...ages 9 and 7. This is definitely do-able!!! I think Suzanne is right - applying a generic idea seems overwhelming and nebulous right now. Let's get down to some specifics!!!! Give us an outline to help you work with!

Booksnbabes wrote:
I get stymied by MA (which we have tried to use) because there is no daily breakdown

I can't speak for MA, or Michele, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the lack of a daily breakdown is done because the way a home's daily plan looks....the way individual mothers/families translate the big picture plan into a daily plan...looks different from home-to-home because we each have a different style, a different way of implementing the big picture idea!!! It's meant to allow you to grow into your own style!

Booksnbabes wrote:
the flexibility I crave is my undoing!

This will be true without order. Order first. Flexibility within limits...within boundaries...within a comfortable structure. That structure looks different for different families, but certainly some order and organization is necessary. It doesn't have to look like anyone else's!!!!! It DOES HAVE TO MAKE SENSE TO YOU!!!! I'm here to tell you that you can find flexibility within order! Order and lesson plans act as a rudder, guiding the days, providing a direction and forward momentum. Flexibility and freedom do not spring from chaos...they originate in order.

Booksnbabes wrote:
So how do you lesson plan? Really? How do you know what is practical/reasonable/doable for a day?

Before we talk nitty-gritty/how-to....

Let me ask you....WHAT IS INTUITIVE FOR YOU IN PLANNING?????

I wanted to emphasize that because we each have individual ways that we plan, and while it may "look good"...it really doesn't matter if it isn't intuitive for you. Let me think of some questions so you can start thinking on this one...

** Do you naturally tend to make lists?
** Are you a scribble-on-paper list maker?
** Do you like bullets, or do you tend to number?
** Do you enjoy checking off items that are accomplished so you can see at a glance what is left to be accomplished?
** For bigger projects do you go to the computer to break down a project? What program do you use?
** Is the computer something you use regularly, or would it irritate/fluster/flummox you? The computer is a very helpful tool in building plans...but it's no help if it intimidates/flusters you.
** IF...you use the computer and it might be a tool in your arsenal - do you like excel? word? charts? just typing in a list? What types of computer tool specifics (programs/applications) do you know and enjoy?
** Do you feel overwhelmed if you try to list more than what you can do in the next 10 minutes?
** Do you prefer to break down a task into sub-tasks?
** Do you naturally anticipate needs/challenges/tasks ahead?
** What are the REGULAR interruptions in your week? Lessons outside the home? Regular errand day? These are super important to keep in mind as you plan!!!!!! Otherwise...you'll be derailed!
** What about the other areas of your home which should have a proportional place in your planning? Chores? Meals? Making home?

You don't need to answer these questions here or out loud...they are just to get you thinking!! Start thinking about how a plan might look that would make sense to you!! What types of tools do you naturally gravitate toward (ie...what is intuitive for you?) when you have to anticipate/plan/look ahead/contemplate something/anything????? Now...thinking about those tools...what does the end result look like in your head? Don't overcomplicate this! If you land on something simple - go with it! It's fine if you do best hand writing notes in a spiral notebook! You can always refine/adjust/grow/stretch/change/modify...later. Right now...what works?!!

** An outline?
** A spiral notebook with hand-written notes?
** A table with tasks divided up by subject?
** A checklist format?
** An index card file?
** A private blog written for and to an individual child?
** A table/chart/list you build on the computer that you can print and hand out to a child weekly?
** Whose plans have you looked at that made sense???? Jump off from that point!!!

Ok...so now you're thinking about how this lesson plan needs to be INTUITIVE to work for you....

Two things to keep in mind that work for all plans and planning styles...
1) A lesson plan needs to have a lot of margin built in the day in order to work. This margin will cushion those unexpected things that come up. Life happens. Wide margins (some white space) on plans allow for flexibility and spontaneity in the day...as well as grant you some breathing room for those times when God re-directs your plans. It happens.

2) Plans can be built in layers. Expect the unexpected. Sometimes we can cruise along, living out the plans I've considered and written VERY WELL! Sometimes...God's timing trumps mine and I have to peel back some extra layers on my plans so that basics are accomplished. Consider what is CORE/CENTRAL...and what is a layer that can be peeled back if necessary.

So...you know you need some structure and order. There CAN BE spontaneity within those plans you set up. Your plans need to be intuitive to you - not just someone else's plans that seem pretty. They can have plenty of margin and be layered so you can peel something back when a day goes crazy!

Let's get down to some specifics...do you want to start with the 9yo?

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Booksnbabes
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 12 2010 at 9:27am | IP Logged Quote Booksnbabes

Thank you, everyone! Boards are going to be closing, so that will give me lots of time to mull over these questions, suggestions, and empathy.   

I will be back to respond more individually!

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 12 2010 at 2:00pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

Mackfam wrote:
I can't speak for MA, or Michele, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the lack of a daily breakdown is done because the way a home's daily plan looks....the way individual mothers/families translate the big picture plan into a daily plan...looks different from home-to-home because we each have a different style, a different way of implementing the big picture idea!!! It's meant to allow you to grow into your own style!

By all means speak for me because this is it exactly! Keep in mind that Charlotte Mason didn't offer a daily breakdown for her correspondence schools either.

That being said I would like to post more samples of daily breakdowns as I do see how it can be helpful for some. My goal, (great desire? sincere wish? pipe dream? ) is to get MA completely organized as it is a bit of a mess at the moment (yes I know it is!) but unfortunately life keeps getting in the way. I'll get there eventually (please God!).

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 12 2010 at 2:15pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

FYI Booksnbabes I get it --I totally do. You think that a a schedule will stifle you. From one fly by the seat of my pants mom to another let me just say that a schedule can be FREEDOM --really I know it's hard to believe but it is. I have a free down-loadable webinar at Homeschool Connections that you might find helpful. It's called Time Management for Moms 101 but it was based on my talk "Time Management for right-brained moms" You know, those of us who don't LIKE schedules.   

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

Booksnbabes
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 16 2010 at 10:20pm | IP Logged Quote Booksnbabes

Thank you all again! I'm dividing this into two posts, this one the story of changes that we've made this far, and the second with more specific questions.

This weekend was wonderful as my brother agreed to watch the kids while dh and I went out for lunch (your prayers made this happen, I am certain!!! My bachelor brother does not normally volunteer for kid duty! ) It was a date/business meeting. I described the difficulties I was having and though we've talked about them before, for some reason we actually were hearing each other this time (your prayers again, I'm certain).

My amazing dh is a list person, so we made a list and now have a morning and an evening checklist of those things which we wish done daily. I was so resistant--it surprised me. I came to understand it was a matter of pride. I keep all these kinds of things in my head and therefore saw no need for a list. A list implied I was not doing a good enough job and needed help--I took it as criticism even though none was meant (I think I am my own worst enemy...). OF COURSE I NEED HELP!!! I came here begging for it, why could I not ask it of my helpmate?!? (Because I try to do it all here at home so he does not have to do more than he already does--which is so much! But he is my best friend and my opposite in organization--whom better to help me?)

As dh cannot get into my head he insisted on the need for a checklist so he, too, knows what needs to be done.

Guess what? The oldest two LOVE the checklist!    I was so frustrated that the things we did EVERY DAY didn't seem to sink in. (Can NO ONE else see my mental checklist?! ) For the moment at least I simply need to say "Checklist" if they are getting off course during the first couple hours of the morning or the last couple hours of the evening. We have even had time for...brace yourselves!...games and read-aloud time in the evenings!!!

So that's what we've done thus far and how it has gone. On to my next post!

Booksnbabes
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 16 2010 at 11:47pm | IP Logged Quote Booksnbabes

School is still the sticking point. I can create a rhythm to the day with blocks of time, and have done so on paper. But I am having difficulty getting beyond Monday, as each day of the week has different obligations. So I need to develop a rhythm for each individual day. I've not yet had the time to do so, and as such still feel lost.

My second stumbling block is how to divide the subjects out within the week. This is where the flexibility of MA baffles me--I know how often it is suggested to do each subject, but how do I break that down into a weekly schedule? (I realize MA is set up so families can make it work for their own schedules, I just cannot figure out what our schedule is!) Again, I think it comes down to time on this one. I think I will have to have dh work with me to create a spreadsheet form of MA as Jenn mentioned she has done (I can use Excel, I just cannot see in spreadsheets as he can--I mess with fonts and cell sizes too much ). I do believe I will need dh to be in on this one because the process of trying to break it all down is overwhelming for me. I will arrange and rearrange until hours later I'm farther behind than when I started! I want to find "The Perfect Schedule" and not settle for something that might work but might need tweaking.

I know a routine will be freeing, as much as I cringe at the thought of having set things to do each day. That's why I am so exasperated with myself and my inability to create a structure within which we can work! I see the need, I wish to fill it, I keep failing. It doesn't help that I am not terribly patient. I want to just jump in and fix everything at once, and I get so frustrated when I get one thing going well and something else falters. I already feel like I do not have enough time, and planning, for me, takes copious amounts of time!

I do fine with Math-U-See and Faith and Life, as well as any other thing that is already divided out into short lessons that are pretty much independent learning and flow from one to the next. I can continue to do the next thing with these and the girls are also really good at knowing where they are at and what to do next.

Where it becomes difficult is history where I have to divide a long book into manageable sections. I cannot figure out where manageable and getting through the book meet. Short lessons are difficult for me. The kids fortunately have long attention spans for reading, both on their own and when I read to them, so it is difficult to know where to stop so they can do a successful narration. This Country of Ours is not one that can be done chapter by chapter, it needs breaking down, but I'm terrible at it. How do you determine how much to read so you can get through the material in the given term yet not set the poor student up for failure in narrating? How does one take something like CWH and create usable plans?

How does one fit in all the other subjects when the only things being done consistently are math, copywork (poetry or bible verses, this is also their handwriting practice), and religion (Faith and Life, reading about saints, attending daily Mass), and that seems to fill a whole lot of the day??? So much time is spent redirecting, or in trying to figure out what to do next in all the subjects for which I have no plan (art, music, science, geography, history, grammar...)! I feel like I cannot pick them up until I have a plan, and I have not had, and do not foresee having, a great block of time in which to tackle them (I do not mean all at once!, each one seems to require a lot of time).

And this is just the school stuff. I haven't even delved into all the other things I'm trying to work in. I try to look for "pegs" on which to hang all the other things I am trying to fit in the day as well--prayer time, keeping hydrated, focused time with the little ones, time outside, etc.--but again I want to do too much at a time and I am not getting anything off the ground. (Ok this all just sounds like complaining now, sorry!)

Specifics for each child:
9 yo. loves sports, science, and history. We're just not getting the science and history in. Because I do not know what we are doing in the next week or two, I do not have materials on hand for science, and it gets stuck. History we are having difficulty balancing American and Ancient, so I wanted to just finish American and move on to Ancient. But we are not close to finishing, and something in me just will not let us stop midstream and switch. Also I have absolutely no lesson plans for CWH because I cannot figure out how to go about breaking it all down. I know it is set up the way it is to allow families to make it work for them, I just cannot figure out how to work it for us. More time needed here, not sure when it will happen, and I'm worried that because the hours I've already spent trying to get a grasp of how to make it work have been fruitless, additional hours will not help. It really helps me to see how other people do it as I can more readily say something won't work than figure out what will (does that make sense?).

She is doing fine in math and handwriting for the work she does is fine (when she is just writing for herself it's another story ). I'm not getting narration in. Partly because of my aforementioned problems with history, partly because I think I need a refresher course on how to do it. Dictation escapes me. Again, time to refresh on how to do these things (I've read, attended seminars, but it has been a while and we're just now getting to dictation). I have Primary Language Lessons, but have only opened it once as I've not figured out where it fits in.

I intended to have copywork, dictation, and narration all flow from the reading we would do for CWH--this was to be the core for the year, and we haven't even touched it .

Issues with 9 yo. probably stem from not having enough structure. She tends not to stay on task, and tends to take a long time completing her work. This often is because she keeps jumping up to do something else (typically helpful, but not what she is supposed to be doing--we're working on this). She is always asking for some sort of screen time, but she isn't heartbroken if she doesn't get that time, so it is hit and miss with its effectiveness as a motivational tool. Not to mention I do not like giving her much screen time.

7 yo. loves dancing, music, and the Alphabet Path.    Unfortunately we are sidetracked on that currently too as we have to go an hour to a library to get the books and we stalled at F when the ones we requested did not come in by the time we had to be in the town and we weren't going to be back for a couple weeks. We just haven't picked back up and have been following the math, religion, handwriting routine. Also she is a good reader and writer and is, I believe, beyond Alphabet Path. Biggest issue with her is keeping on task as she drifts off into play or daydreaming very easily (we call her our shiny object child ). Not getting narration done with her either as history is stalled and the things are are getting done do not lend themselves well to narration.

Sooo what I gather from what I wrote is I can do what is already laid out for me, but cannot figure out how to make what isn't laid out manageable. Most likely the culprit is time--I've not devoted enough time to planning as we're just getting started with this homeschooling stuff (third year, that's just getting started, right ) and I've not ever had to break down big projects into little ones before (sounds implausible, but I really do just jump into things and plow my way through, always have , it worked ok with one, though we never have done all the MA suggested subjects). The toddler is very good at pulling me away from the girls, so they have to be able to do much of their work on their own (which they can do). I really just need a big block of time during which I can wrestle with creating lesson plans. What works for me in this is planning not by date, but rather by lesson (lesson 1, lesson 2, etc.) so I can just continue on when life inevitably intervenes (upside of my fly-by-the-seat-of-the-pants tendencies, I can just pick up and move on when we've been derailed IF I have lessons to which I can move--nice for when those feast days sneak up on me).

This year we are trying very hard to attend daily Mass (11 a.m.). I really felt a pull to do this when we moved, and we are reaping the benefits, but it is a large chunk out of the middle of our day. I think some scheduling problems are because we are out of the house every day for that time (plus the time getting ready, getting there, getting back, and settling in once we are back). Refocusing the kids after our morning learning block is difficult. Refocusing myself is difficult! I will have to think on this more with regard as to what is best.

Thank you all again!!! The words of encouragement, the individual pms, the sample plans, the ideas to ponder...all have been influential in finding clarity from my initial "cry for help" post. As I have written all of this I have seen some themes develop (time, pride issues, a need to learn how to break a project down) and I'll be mulling over them, determining where I should begin to focus my energy. I'm certain I will not be able to run downstairs, open up my CWH manual, and create the year's plans in the next week or so , but I do have more confidence that order can be achieved and that it will benefit my children (and myself).

God bless you all!

ETA: Sorry for the above being rambling and disjointed. It is late and my mind is wandering, but I did not want to wait to write as it seems even the act of doing so is helping me more fully understand my issues and limitations. And I figured I'd better post while I had the chance. I think I'll be on less frequently as I try to get this all sorted out. I will likely be back with more specific questions as I work.

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Nov 17 2010 at 7:17am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Booksnbabes wrote:
This weekend was wonderful as my brother agreed to watch the kids while dh and I went out for lunch (your prayers made this happen, I am certain!!! My bachelor brother does not normally volunteer for kid duty! ) It was a date/business meeting. I described the difficulties I was having and though we've talked about them before, for some reason we actually were hearing each other this time (your prayers again, I'm certain).

YES!!!! THIS IS HUGE!!!!! Your husband is THE BEST source for brainstorming, and you've just found out why! Though my husband isn't involved in the day-to-day home education, when I present a problem, he can generally cut through the peripheral, narrow, focus, and help me define a problem so that from there we can brainstorm more!!! Another thing about brainstorming with my husband that is super motivating for me is - accountability!!!

You know, I'm definitely a juggle-all-the-details-in-my-brain sort of a gal, too! I can really relate to what you're saying there! My tendency is to manage it all up in my gray matter. Somewhere along the way, no doubt after a big stumble I made, my husband pointed out that I needed to start managing with more tools and less micro-managing with a finger in every pot. Ouch. Hard to let go, but he was right! The larger our family grows, the more tasks I must encounter and meet, the more I see how helpful tools can be at assisting the home and the day to run smoothly.

So...you're rolling! Keep building on those fantastic habits you and he have discussed and implemented! Those habits will go a long way toward SMOOTH AND EASY days!!!

...I'm off to your next post...

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Nov 17 2010 at 10:40am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I'm going to break my responses out into a few different approaches so it isn't all in one long post. I read your post carefully to try to pull out the points that seem most challenging. I've been building these posts in my own "chunks of time" so I hope they aren't too disjointed.

This first post addresses concerns and brainstorms around Time Management in order to plan.

booksnbabes wrote:
I want to just jump in and fix everything at once, and I get so frustrated when I get one thing going well and something else falters. I already feel like I do not have enough time, and planning, for me, takes copious amounts of time!

I know the frustration. It's just a part of life in a family. I have a few ideas:

** Keep working on the home habits you and your husband have developed! I can't emphasize enough to you what a tremendous help this will be to your every-day!! Build those habits!!!

** I would recommend Michele's time management seminar.

** For me, it's all about breaking down BIG TASKS into smaller tasks in a list format and from there identifying what I need quiet/focused concentration time to complete...and what can be done in a snatch of time here or there. Breaking a big plan out into smaller chunks helps me manage my time, and helps keep me pointed in a forward direction.

booksnbabes wrote:
I've not ever had to break down big projects into little ones before

Suzanne's list here is a big help for starting this!
SuzanneG wrote:
One thing that helps me is BEING READY for opportunities for working when they present themselves. Some people make lists of things to do by room, by date, by type of project. I make my lists divided by my SITUATION:     

I DIVIDE and CONQUER and make my lists like this:

1. Things I can do ONLY when I'm by myself---Mommy's Helper is over, my neighbor has the kids, kids sleeping, or they are w/my husband OUT OF THE HOUSE.

2. Things I can do during quiet-time or when children are happily occupied without me.

3. Things I can do when my kids are around and I'm supervising and need to be "present"

4. Things that I can do WITH the kids.

5. Things I can do only with another adult's help. (ie: my husband needs to help move things around for me, etc.)

Then, I keep my master list easily accessible. When the above opportunities present themselves or I make them happen , I am READY TO ROLL! Part of the overwhelmed feeling is not having a plan and not knowing what to do next, even when you get 30 minutes of quiet.

:: Do you have a specific list of the things you need to do? If not, get a notebook, walk around your house, go from room to room and write down EVERYTHING you want/need to do.

:: Now, go through and create your "time-categories"....like I listed above. Yours may be different than mine, but you're thinking about the actual task and what is the minimum-requirement-situation that it can be accomplished.

:: Separate all those tasks into those "time zones"

:: Go back and highlight the ones that are IMPERATIVE that they get completed before the baby comes.

:: Pow-wow with your kids and show them the list. Tell them that your whole family is "getting ready for the baby" and you need their help! 3.5 and 6 years old??? They are ready for some RALLYING and a FAMILY MEETING! Bring them into the plan! Get them excited about how they can help! Reward them for helping you! Especially your 6 yo can occupy the 3.5 yo and maybe even get paid for it. Brainstorm how to use the 6 year old and get her involved. It's such a great age for involvememtn and starting to give them responsibility!

Get creative with how you GET your uninterruped TIME:

1. Get dinner ready, and have your dh feed them, read, etc. That's an HOUR!

2. Do you have neighbors or friends that leave for the weekend? Would they let you come over and do some "planning" and paperwork, computer work, at their house? I do this all. the. time! My neighbors consider it their "community service." And, they LOVE to help me out in this way! it's so easy for them and is such a HUGE help to me.

3. Quiet time in the afternoon. If you aren't already doing this....it's a great time to start implementing it. This would be 1.5 hours/ day that you'd have for working.

4. Rally your husband to work with you in the evening. I tell my husband that NO MATTER WHAT....he has to MAKE ME do X before I go to bed. And, of course, if I"m totally exhausted, which I normally am....he will help!

5. Make portable baskets of work....when I'm in dig-out-mode, everything goes into several laundry baskets and when the kids are playing and I need to supervise, I can move the basket around to wherever they are and get to work.

** Once I'm rolling with a set of plans, I find it important to consider the reality and fabric of life on a regular basis. I do this by consistently brainstorming challenges through weekly meetings. This happens over the course of our term as we're living out the plans. I meet with an individual child, we discuss things pertinent to their week, I make any small changes directly on the chart/lesson plans document, and I print the next week's plans for them. It goes on their clipboard and it is ready and waiting for Monday morning.

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Nov 17 2010 at 10:43am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Next post...Building Lesson Plans that assist Time Management...

booksnbabes wrote:
I am having difficulty getting beyond Monday, as each day of the week has different obligations. So I need to develop a rhythm for each individual day. I've not yet had the time to do so, and as such still feel lost.

booksnbabes wrote:
I think some scheduling problems are because we are out of the house every day for that time (plus the time getting ready, getting there, getting back, and settling in once we are back)

** When I'm building a plan, I carefully consider known/planned/regular trips out of the home and incorporate them into the plans. If we're out of the home for Mass, I list that on my plans and block out time for that - PLENTY OF TIME! I block out the amount of time I'll need to settle everyone back in once we get home, too. Any lessons done on that day are reasonable, and take into account time out of the home. It takes some organization, but for our time out of the home, we also plan some things that can be done in the car like, narrations, listening to a latin lesson, listening to an audio book.

booksnbabes wrote:
Refocusing the kids after our morning learning block is difficult. Refocusing myself is difficult!

Yes! Do carefully consider this. It's a challenge here as well. What works for us is building in extra margin on my plans during this time. So...we might be home at a certain time, but I allow for about 1 - 1 1/2 hours afterward to unload vehicle, unwind a bit, tend to home chores, and then pick up lessons.

I always offer a warning/heads-up to the kids once we get home, "You need to do x, y, and z for me. After that you have an hour to unwind and we will resume lessons promptly at "x" time." It has been a huge help in tidying after trips out, and offering everyone time to settle back into home and unwind.

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Nov 17 2010 at 10:56am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Building Lesson Plans...from Big Picture --> to A Livable Weekly/Daily Plan

Some general format thoughts:
** My preferred format has varied through the years. This year, I needed plans that were self-explanatory and acted as a guide for each of my older children. I knew I would be less-involved in their day-to-day this year because I have an emerging reader and a toddler. I built plans that foster independence, act as a tool for me in helping to keep up with narrations (which I consider key), and assist my students in their self-education. It's been a success! (It helps me so much to *see* what someone is talking about in order to mine it for ideas. Here are my 5th grader's plans for part of the last term: 2010-11-17_095702_Schedule-5th-Term2-Week_7-8.pdf)

** I have found that it helps me to build plans a term at a time. I consider a week, and then narrow to considering a day of the week...what subjects will be accomplished on that day, and spread out the feast on paper. I do not assign dates. It's a generic weekly plan built in a table format (much like Excel) that lists subjects & times down the left side, and days of the week across the top. Each block lists what that child should be doing/reading within the block. If we're behind, or don't get something done, we pick up wherever we're supposed to be on the lesson plans and move forward.

** My weekly plan is pretty static for a term. I don't have to re-build plans frequently. I consider things carefully at the beginning of a term, map it out, plan it, and live it. I do make adjustments to the plans based on weekly meetings with the older children.

booksnbabes wrote:
My second stumbling block is how to divide the subjects out within the week

I'm very visual, so I prefer doing this with another chart in front of me. I just start penciling in what might go where. This could be done on the computer or on paper.

1) Start with a list of all the books you'll be using for that term.
2) Break your booklist down by subject. Now you should have a booklist of every book to be used for your term sorted under their appropriate subject headings.

Next...with your booklist and a blank, skeleton lesson plan chart in front of you...

3) LOOK AT ONE DAY --> LOOK AT ONE SUBJECT
4) Pencil in a book for that subject for a block of time
5) Move to the next day for that subject.

As you move through planning you may choose to whittle or add books.

I have a total of 9 blocks of time for my 5th grader in the plans uploaded above. For some subjects, like history, the subject stays firm for that block of time, but the offering (book, investigation, activity) may change/alternate both during that block of time as well as during the week.

booksnbabes wrote:
How does one take something like CWH and create usable plans?

** Here's how I used it:
  • Review the lesson for the unit by reading over it myself.
  • Review the books suggested.
  • Put aside the CWH book - pull it out again as a resource if needed.
  • Gather all the books I want said child to read from for that term.
  • Plan from the books - not the guide.
Don't let this guide become an obstacle. It's a good and helpful guide and tool. Review it, and set it aside. It's format may be different from the way you intuitively plan or *see things*. Let it act as more of a resource. Build your day-to-day plans in a way that works for you. Find the common point - the point which this program (RC History) intersects with MA - LIVING BOOKS. Plan the books.

booksnbabes wrote:
How does one fit in all the other subjects when the only things being done consistently are math, copywork (poetry or bible verses, this is also their handwriting practice), and religion (Faith and Life, reading about saints, attending daily Mass), and that seems to fill a whole lot of the day???

Keep in mind that some subjects do not need to be covered EVERY DAY OF THE WEEK!

I may set aside a block of time on my lesson plans, but on one day cover Geography, another day Shakespeare, and on yet another Composer Study. We tend to approach some subjects daily, and others once/week. This may be another good list to consider making before you write up your plans.

booksnbabes wrote:
Where it becomes difficult is history where I have to divide a long book into manageable sections. I cannot figure out where manageable and getting through the book meet. Short lessons are difficult for me...How do you determine how much to read so you can get through the material in the given term yet not set the poor student up for failure in narrating?

** While "reasonable" varies somewhat from child to child, age to age, if you're unsure and just beginning (again?) to build the habit of narration, ask them to read less. Starting to narrate, or building the habit of narration is easier when the child is reading less. Once you've built that habit, and once the child is older/more mature, you'll be able to ask them to read and narrate more at a time. As you move along, you'll begin to get to know what is reasonable for a particular child to read. This part is more an art than a science.

An important point to make here - CM moved consistently, a little at a time through books. Narrations came from small sections of reading. This allowed for 1) the child to narrate a reasonable amount, and 2) once the child narrated that amount they knew it, 3) a liberal feast of books since the child wasn't reading SO MUCH from one book. This means retention!! Think back to the analogy CM uses in her volumes of "spreading the feast". We don't want gluttonous consumption of the feast - we want to savor and enjoy every morsel. We do that by slow and steady reading! I allow free reading with independent books, but on the lesson plans, I dictate how much to read at a time.

** If you've got a general idea of which book you'll be asking a child to read on which day (from your earlier work filling in your chart with books for subjects on certain days) you can start breaking down into more detail. Pull your history books out of your stack of books and grab your booklist and lesson plan chart.
  • How many books do you want to cover for the term?
  • Look back at your term expectations for that book. What are they? How far do you want to get? How much of that book do you expect that child to read in one term? The whole book? Half? One section?
  • NOW....will this child be reading from this book every day of the week? Twice a week? Multiply the number of times the child will use the book each week times the number of weeks in your term. Are you still with me?
  • Divide this number by the number of pages you expect to accomplish in a term. That's what your child needs to read each day to finish the term work.
NOW>>> I do sometimes look from this point and decide that stopping at the end of a chapter is a better stopping point, or adjusting pages read to the end of a section...but generally I just let it stand at >>> read 6 pages <<< on my lesson plans.

booksnbabes wrote:
how do I break that down into a weekly schedule?

At this point, you should really have a pretty good draft in place. Start with:

1) Your books
2) Your calendar - keep those out-of-the-home times in mind and plan accordingly.
3) Gather all of the books you'll use together in one spot, preferably near your computer since you said that an intuitive format for you is a spreadsheet/chart built on the computer.
4) All your lists so far - lists of books broken down by subject, lists of subjects you'll cover daily and those you'd like to be weekly or otherwise.

...and start planning.

Get something on paper, then consider it carefully. Get it to a point that is good enough and live it for a couple of weeks. Make notes right on the lesson plans as you find holes or areas that need to be reconsidered.

Printing plans weekly doesn't make me feel LOCKED INTO a certain routine. We live it for a week, and if needed, I make small changes to assist a day's smooth running, and then print for the next week.

Because I can't work in long, uninterrupted chunks of time, I tend to gather my supplies in a basket for portability and work in chunks of time when I can grab them.

I'm not sure if any of this was a help, or totally and completely redundant/no-brainer...or possibly just completely overwhelming.

If something here was a help, thanks be to God. Run with it.

If it was redundant/no-brainer, ignore me.

If it was overwhelming, click right away and think nothing of it!!! You're best bet is that fella that's in your corner!!! He loves and knows your family like no other! He's YOUR BEST brainstorming help!!!

God bless you as you work through this, booksnbabes!

mama2many
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 18 2010 at 11:58am | IP Logged Quote mama2many

I need to revisit this when I have time, right now the babe is asleep and I need a shower.. but as we're mind-twins I NEED THIS THREAD!

M (12/00)
J (12/01)
K (6/06)
J (7/08)
A (7/10)
C (11/12)
My Clones in Action

Back to Top View mama2many's Profile Search for other posts by mama2many Visit mama2many's Homepage

Kristen in TN
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 25 2010 at 12:49pm | IP Logged Quote Kristen in TN

OK, I am very late here and I have not read all the way through this. I do have plenty of experience with MA. First of all, are you a memeber of that Yahoo group? If not, you might want to join if nothing else, just for the valuable resources in the files. Some of them are sample schedules.

I still do things on paper, so I would take each child and have one sheet of paper for them. On this paper, I would break down (in list form) what had to be done at their level and figure out how many times a week they would be doing it.

After that was done, I would make a grid type of schedule for each child. On the right side was time slots of either 20 or 30 minutes, depending on the child and on the top was the days of the week. I would fit these things in for each child. I would fill in the time slots looking at the list and plugging the subjects into days and time slots. I would also do one for me. I didn't fill mine all up, but if there was a subject that we were doing together such as music or science, I would put it on mine (actually mine came first), so I could fill them in to each child's sheet for the same time and day. I would also fill in my schedule when I needed to work with a child, to make sure that we were both "scheduled" for that time. Also, if we were scheduled to be somewhere on a certain day at a certain time, that would go on the schedules. I would also do all this in pencil.

Now, after a week or so, I could tweek this and fix things to work better, perhaps switching a child's math with english, or something like that.

Now we had a skeleton. The single most useful thing that I did for a few years was subscribe to the Simply Charlotte Mason online scheduler. This helped with knowing what specific assignments they were to do each day (reading and what pages, etc.) When we missed a day, it didn't get checked off as completed, so it was there for the next time that specific thing was done. We also did not stick to the schedule rigidly, but it certainly provided a wonderful map for each day and I even I knew when I had to be somewhere teaching something.

I hope that makes some sense and is useful.

God bless,
Kristen in TN
Back to Top View Kristen in TN's Profile Search for other posts by Kristen in TN Visit Kristen in TN's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version