Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Picture Book Discoveries
 4Real Forums : Picture Book Discoveries
Subject Topic: Baseball books Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 12 2006 at 1:28pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

We read through some great baseball picture books yesterday and I thought I'd share the titles with you. The last three would also make great books for Black History month:

-- The Babe Ruth School of Ballet by Tim Shortt is about a little girl who pitches for the Yankees and is best friends with Babe Ruth. She throws an awesome spitball, but what she really dreams of doing is awesome ballet.
-- Peter Mandel's Say Hey! A Song of Willie Mays is a bit of biography about the amazing black ball player who played in New York and San Francisco.
-- For a wonderful story about the start of MLB's desegregation, look no further than Peter Golenbock's book Teammates about Jackie Robinson and PeeWee Reese.
-- The book, The Bat Boy and His Violin by Gavin Curtis is a wonderful book that describes life in the Negro League (before MLB desegregation).

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: May 12 2006 at 1:36pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

We love B is for Baseball by Brad Herzog. He's got lots of pithy little facts about all things baseball beautifully illustrated and neatly tied together. Even my dh was impressed with this and the soccer version. There are "insider details" in the books that keep them from being lightweight twaddle. I'm sure Z is for Zamboni and T is for Touchdown are equally good.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

Sarah
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 12 2006 at 2:55pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah

Teammates was a great book! The boys really liked it.

Babe Ruth book

Back to Top View Sarah's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: May 12 2006 at 4:19pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

This is a really cute little book and puts the game in perspective.
A Prayer for the Opening of the Little League Season
As a long time baseball mom - this was a touching read.

The review at Amazon suggests that those who like this book should check out At the Crack of the Bat, a acollection of baseball poetry. I just requested it from our library so will let you know.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 24 2006 at 12:33am | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

I put our favorite baseball books in an amazon.com list and thought I'd share...reference for next year, of course, b/c who wants baseball books when the leaves are changing . I went a little crazy searching for great baseball picture books and was pleasantly surprised, as was dh, who loves baseball.

Children's Illustrated Baseball Books

Suzanne
mom to 4 girls - 5,4,2,6 months
Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 14 2007 at 5:37pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Just bumping this and adding a few links....

MaryM's blog post with lots of books referenced.
Thread from the Rabbit Trail Forum
Baseball Unit Study thread
Baseball Fiction that my husband has read or wants to read. Maybe a good list for husbands or teenagers. Or any of us, I suppose, who are baseball fans.    

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: July 20 2007 at 2:00pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

A couple very newly published books we just came across and I've added to my blog post.

Jackie's Bat - story of the desegration of baseball and Jackie Robinson's first year told through a fictionalized account of a white bat boy.
Across the Alley - two boys, one Jewish and one black, can't play together but become friends across the alley through interest in baseball and violin.
The Longest Season - told by one of baseball's great role models - Cal Ripken Jr. It tells the story of the Oriole's 1988 season with is long opening losing streak. Cal shares thoughts on winning and losing, perserverance and being a team player.
Champions on the Bench - picture book account of the Cannon Street All-stars a Little League team from 1955 and their experience in youth baseball during an era of segregation and prejudice.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 04 2008 at 8:40pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

It's baseball season again, so I thought I'd bump this and add another picture book that was published just last year:

Stealing Home: Jackie Robinson: Against the Odds

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: June 05 2008 at 3:59pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Thanks, Suzanne. We're big Jackie Robinson fans here. Are your girls JR fans?...how sweet!

We just watched, The Jackie Robinson Story...amazing that Jackie plays himself. It is a serious and rough film (because of the topic of racisim) and may not be for little girls but mom and dad might enjoy it!

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 10 2008 at 4:27pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Roberto Clemente: Pride of the Pittsburgh Pirates

Play Ball! (based on the childhood of NY Yankees catcher Jorge Posada)

And, Cay has a baseball list in Picture Perfect Childhood

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: April 06 2010 at 1:47am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Didn't know which old baseball books thread to revive. Over the break we discovered the newly published Jane Yolen book - All Star! Honus Wagner and the Most Famous Baseball Card Ever. It was a great read. We love anything baseball here and this opened my eyes to a player I didn't know anything about (much to my husband's dismay ). My son now wants the 3 million dollar baseball card of him ! We loved the funny stories from his childhood (like how he carried a slower kid around the bases since he couldn't pass him up without getting out) and coincidences of his early career (first played professionally for a team in Steubenville at turn of century - now our ds is playing baseball for FUS in Steubenville this spring ). Great picture book for any of you baseball fans!

Our Domestic Church

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: April 14 2010 at 9:43pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

How in the world have I missed Patricia Polacco's Casey at the Bat book all these years???!!!

The famous poem by Ernest Lawrence Thayer is interwoven into a modern story of an overconfident young baseball player named Casey who was "counting his hits before they were pitched." It's clever and a great book for remembering humility in sport.

Our Domestic Church

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 15 2010 at 10:51pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Shoeless Joe and Black Betsy

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Aug 03 2010 at 8:13pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

SuzanneG wrote:
Shoeless Joe and Black Betsy

Got it on your recommendation, Suzanne. Good book.

I have another one to add that needs to go back to the library today, so figured I'd better add it or I'll forget.

Baseball Hour - Carol Nevius, illustrated by Bill Thomson

This book is a must see for young baseball players. The text is simple, a poem following a baseball team during an hour of practice. What is amazing are the illustrations. They are very life-like, look like photographs, all in black & white or sepia tones except for the white and red baseball in some pictures. You really feel like you are in the book - and the ball is coming at you in some. I'll even excuse the reference to "home base" because they had to make it rhyme with "pace."

And we should add the baseball players (of the past) thread which has lots of great baseball player biographies which might be of interest to anyone searching for this thread.

Our Domestic Church

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Aug 14 2010 at 1:51am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Baseball Treasures - really good book about baseball collectibles. Covers the history and changes of the game through baseball collectibels/products. Not exactly a picture book, but figured I'd include it here to keep baseball "unit" stuff together.

Our Domestic Church

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Oct 30 2010 at 1:19am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

World Series time... a few additions to this topic. I'm always on the look out...

You Never Heard of Sandy Koufax?! - Jonah Winter
This is a picture book biography of a baseball great. It was fitting here since our 10 yo had "never heard of Sandy Koufax" which his dad couldn't believe. I'd heard of him, but didn't know his story. Mentions the 1965 World Series, when he wouldn't pitch when a game fell on a Jewish high holy day. Inspirational story of patience, talent, and integrity.

86 Years: The Legend of the Boston Red Sox - Melinda Boroson
This one tells the story of the Boston "Curse of the Bambino" and all the years the team/fans had to wait for a World Series appearance/win. Most of book focuses on that 2004 amazing post-season. Has a combo of artist illustrations and real photographs incorporated into the illustrations in fun ways - like as baseball cards and action on TV screen.

Willie and the All-Stars - Floyd Cooper
Story of a young African American boy who loves baseball and follows the big league games, especially the Cubs. Is unaware of the Negro Leagues until he learns about the league and baseball segregation from some men in the neighborhood. He gets an opportunity to go to a game between the Negro League All-Stars and the Major League All-Stars, which were held to boost attendance during the war.

Our Domestic Church

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Nov 20 2010 at 2:22am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Louis Sockalexis: Native American Baseball Pioneer (Bill Wise) - About the first NAtive American to play major league baseball in the late 1890's

She Loved Baseball: The Effa Manley Story (Audrey Vernick) - Very interesting story of a woman who owned a Negro League team and helped advance the rights of African American players. She was also an early civil rights leader in other areas. She is the first and only woman ever inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Our Domestic Church

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: May 12 2011 at 1:34am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

MaryM wrote:

86 Years: The Legend of the Boston Red Sox - Melinda Boroson
This one tells the story of the Boston "Curse of the Bambino" and all the years the team/fans had to wait for a World Series appearance/win.

Two more about Babe Ruth:
The Babe & I (David Adler) - A story about a boy living through the tough times of the depression and helping his family by working as a newsboy. He sells a newspaper to Babe Ruth and with the tip is able to buy tickets to the game. Story of family commitment and work ethic.

The Legend of the Curse of the Bambino (Dan Shaughnessy) - From the perspective of a grandfather talking to his granddaughter, it tells the story of Babe Ruth and the "Curse" on the Red Sox. Starts with the 1918 World Series followed by selling Babe to New York and the start of the curse. A clever angle of the book shows the ensuing Red Sox years with the "spirit" of Babe Ruth interfering with the players to bring about their bad luck. Pretty funny, accentuated by Payne's usual caricature style illustrations.

And a great picture book:
Take Me Out to the Ball Game (Jim Burke) - An illustrated rendering of the text to the famous song of the same name. Illustrations are vibrant and evoke an old time baseball feel. Each page contains a line from the song along with a inset text box with some aspect of the Polo grounds and New York players and history from the era when the song was written by Jack Norworth, 1908. Includes author notes which further explain the baseball history of the era and the song.

Our Domestic Church

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Oct 21 2011 at 4:13pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

l always seem to find a few new ones around World Series time

The Unforgettable Season by Phil Bildner - if you love records, this is a fun one, deals with an amazing season of big records.

Lipman Pike: America's First Home Run King by Richard Michelson- very interesting as it covers very early baseball and a more obscure (because of the time) figure.

Our Domestic Church

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 24 2012 at 10:26am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

MaryM wrote:
How in the world have I missed Patricia Polacco's Casey at the Bat book all these years???!!!

The famous poem by Ernest Lawrence Thayer is interwoven into a modern story of an overconfident young baseball player named Casey who was "counting his hits before they were pitched." It's clever and a great book for remembering humility in sport.

We just checked out a few baseball books, and I didn't see listed Casey at the Bat: A Ballad of the Republic Sung in the Year 1888 by Ernest L. Thayer, illustrated by Christopher Bing. We really enjoyed the humor of the classifieds and clippings related to the part of the lines of the poetry.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version