Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Picture Book Discoveries
 4Real Forums : Picture Book Discoveries
Subject Topic: Baseball books Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 24 2012 at 10:33am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

We also enjoyed Playing Right Field by Willy Welch. It spoke to my son, who is usually right center field, but still....

The ending is really positive, which we both liked.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: May 30 2012 at 11:08pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Brothers at Bat

WONDERFUL story - I love little known real life stories. This is about a large family (12 brothers, 4 sisters) in the 30s-40s who were the longest playing all-brother baseball team in the country. Great story for anyone who loves baseball or large families!!

It has engaging text and fun illustrations which have a nostaligic "vintage" comic feel.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: July 27 2012 at 1:43am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Dad, Jackie, and Me (Myron-Uhlberg)

This book is included in my blog post link earlier in this thread, but it is one I just rediscovered and love the story. Since it wasn't mentoned specifically by name in this thread I wanted to add it. Based on the childhood experiences of the author, growing up with a deaf father, who admired Jackie for standing up courageously in face of prejudice. It works to show the common bond of discrimination for a black man and a deaf man in that era. Great story about father son relationship also - bonding over baseball. Really lovely. What was equally interesting is that in the endnotes it told of deaf baseball player, William Ellsworth "Dummy" Hoy who played from 1886 to 1902. I didn't remember that from my earlier reading of the book years ago. What was so ironic was that I had recnetly requested a newly published babeball picture book on Hoy - and had just gotten that from the library the previous day. SO there I had two books on the same topic without planning. It is an inspiring story. So the new book about Hoy is:

Silent Star: The Story of Deaf Major Leaguer William Hoy (Bill Wise)

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Betsy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 27 2012 at 12:24pm | IP Logged Quote Betsy

MaryM wrote:
Brothers at Bat

WONDERFUL story - I love little known real life stories. This is about a large family (12 brothers, 4 sisters) in the 30s-40s who were the longest playing all-brother baseball team in the country. Great story for anyone who loves baseball or large families!!

It has engaging text and fun illustrations which have a nostaligic "vintage" comic feel.

Mary,
I missed when you posed this the first time. I definitely need to get this. After we had a string of boys and people would ask us how many we were going to have I would say we are trying to field a baseball team.

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Dec 14 2012 at 1:30am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Just as Good: How Larry Doby Changed America's Game - story of Larry Doby who was the first African American player in the American League, signed 11 weeks after Jackie Robinson was signed to the National League. Had a disappointing rookie season and many racists used that to say Jackie Robinson was a fluke. Doby had a great second season proving the racists wrong winning the World Series with the Indians. This photo is featured in the context of the story - showing how he helped change the face of baseball. This picture was one of the first to show affection between black and white athletes in the era of integration.

Our Domestic Church

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 26 2013 at 12:26am | IP Logged Quote Erin

MaryM wrote:
Brothers at Bat

Just read the blurb for this on Amazon, sounded so terrific I came over to share and discovered Mary had already discovered this gem

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 27 2013 at 9:00am | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

BUMP!

Lots of new ones here for us this year, since last year I was neglectful of our annual foray of baseball books, since we were in the midst of house-hunting.

Now, to find out how many our much smaller library system has!

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Oct 27 2013 at 10:12pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

MaryM wrote:
World Series time... a few additions to this topic. I'm always on the look out...

Funny how every World Series time, I think of the baseball books of the year again.

Becoming Babe Ruth (Matt Tavares)
"Matt Tavares's striking homage to one of baseball’s legends offers a rare view into Babe Ruth’s formative years in "the House that built Ruth."

Candlewick Press books are always well done. I really enjoyed this book that covered Babe Ruth's early years and the stories related to his time at Saint Mary’s Industrial School for Boys. It particularly shows the influence of Brother Matthias on young George, who helps him with baseball skills. Once Babe is a famous ball player, it goes back to his generosity to St. Mary's in their time of need after a fire. Great story of Babe's Catholic connections.

Miracle Mud: Lena Blackburne and the Secret Mud that Changed Baseball (David Kelly) - Nice retelling of a little known story related to the formula for breaking in new baseballs.

Something to Prove (Robert Skead) - the story of the great Negro League pitcher Satchel Paige pitched against Joe DiMaggio in an exhibition game set up to test DiMaggio's readiness for the big leagues. Very interesting story of two men who each had something to prove.

Who's on First? (illustrated by John Martz) - illustrated picture book featuring the text of the Abbott & Costello comedy routine of the same name.

Our Domestic Church

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 07 2014 at 11:48am | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Bump!

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

Aagot
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 07 2014 at 7:31am | IP Logged Quote Aagot

A new book we have enjoyed:
A Homerun for Bunny a true story by Richard Andersen
Back to Top View Aagot's Profile Search for other posts by Aagot

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: July 12 2014 at 2:32pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Aagot wrote:
A new book we have enjoyed:
A Homerun for Bunny a true story by Richard Andersen

ooohhh...got to check that one out.

I just read The Streak: How Joe DiMaggio Became America's Hero by Barb Rossenstock. Great story and well told - felt like I was living the summer with the fans.

Our Domestic Church

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: July 16 2014 at 1:20pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Thank you, thank you!

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Nov 22 2014 at 2:25am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

MaryM wrote:
I just read The Streak: How Joe DiMaggio Became America's Hero by Barb Rossenstock. Great story and well told - felt like I was living the summer with the fans.

And another Joe DiMaggio book - he must be popular this year for some reason...

Joltin Joe DiMaggio

The William Hoy Story
Murphy's Goat: The Goofy Start and Glorius End of the Chicago Cubs Curse

Our Domestic Church

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version