Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: baseball players (of the past) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
insegnante
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 14 2010 at 1:45am | IP Logged Quote insegnante

Any older-time baseball players that my 8yo could learn/read about who were admirable for more than their athletic performance? I would prefer old-timers (long retired or deceased) to current/recent players for various reasons. He could probably handle materials up to 5th-6th grade reading level. I would just like to use his recent interest in baseball well to help him learn about other more important things.

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: July 14 2010 at 2:32am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Great idea! Of course Jackie Robinson would be tops on my list. Also Honus Wagner, Roberto Clemente, Cal Ripkin, Roy Campanella. I'll think of more. I've included a few good picture books on these guys as a start.

Jackie Robinson (courage, character)
Jackie Robinson: Testing the Ice
Stealing Home: Jackie Robinson, Against the Odds
-There are so many books on Robinson out there...

Roberto Clemente (charity, generousity)
Roberto Clemente: Pride of the Pittsburgh Pirates

Honus Wagner (humility, kindness)
All Star: Honus Wagner and the Most Famous Baseball Card Ever

Roy Campanella (courage)
Campy: The Roy Campanella Story

Lou Gehrig (courage, fortitude)
Lou Gehrig: The Luckiest Man

He is more recently retired, but I would definitely include him.
Cal Ripkin (hard work, perseverance)
The Longest Season

And there are many men of character and integrity who are recent or current players. It's not a book, but a video - Champions of Faith about faithful Catholic baseball players.

Don't discount an interest in baseball in general - baseball can be a means for great life lessons and character building.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 15 2010 at 10:14am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I turn to dh for his input on baseball books. I love what Mary suggested above. Hank Aaron and Roberto Clemente were dh's favorites growing up (plus he's a Pirates fan, so he remembers vividly the night he died, New Year's Eve. He was listening to the radio in his bed, and heard it on the radio -- crying alone in the dark, mourning the loss of his favorite player). But I digress.

Besides the Champions of Faith DVD Mary mentioned, there is also a
Catholic Athletes for Christ
website.

For parents to read, The Catholic Ideal: Exercise and Sports by Robert Feeney

Vision Books
Two Vision Books cover various athletes, one for each arena in each book. These are OOP, both by Ed Fitzgerald,
::Champions of Sport and Spirit
::More Champions of Sport and Spirit

I'm trying to list these in order of reading level, lowest to highest. Many of the books my son and husband read at this level were general highlights of players, but not detailed biographies. I'm just giving a smattering, as I don't know all the titles in series. So many of these we have on our shelves, I find in library sales, used book sales, and some our library does carry. Just keep your eyes open.

It is frustrating that the new athletes (in almost all arenas) are not good role models for our children, but isn't a reason to discourage them from playing or aspiring to higher levels.

Sports Star Series by Harcourt
::Jim "Catfish" Hunter, S.H. Burchard

Step-Up Books by Random House
::Baseball Players Do Amazing Things by Mel Cebulash (OOP, but copies readily available)

Childhood of Famous Americans
::Babe Ruth: Baseball Boy (One of Baseball's Greatest), Guernsey Van Riper, Jr.
::Lou Gehrig: Boy of the Sand Lots (One of Baseball's Greatest), Guernsey Van Riper, Jr.
::Joe DiMaggio: Young Sports Hero, Herb Dunn
::Roberto Clemente: Young Ball Player, Montrew Dunham
::Jackie Robinson: Young Sports Trailblazer, Herb Dunn     

Sports Heroes Library, by Lerner Publications
::Baseball's Finest Pitchers
::Baseball's Home-Run Hitters
etc.

Franklin Watts publisher, OOP 1980s
Great Moments in Sports Triumph Books
::Great Moments in the World Series, by Edward F. Dolan, Jr.
Getting into the Pros Series
::Getting Into Pro Baseball

Real Books series
::The Real Book about Baseball by Lyman Hopkins, Doubleday, 1962

Little League Library and Major League Library
These were done in 1970s, dh and his friends just loved these. There were also basketball and football ones. The first 12 were issued under a different publisher, with "Little League Library" as the series name, then Random House republished them and added more under the "Major League Library" series name. I couldn't find the number 22 book, but here's the list that I could find:

1) Greatest World Series Thrillers (LLL), Ray Robinson
2) Secrets of Big League Play (LLL), Robert Smith
3) Great Baseball Pitchers (LLL), Jim Brosnan
4) Strange but True Baseball Stories (LLL), Furman Bisher
5) Baseball’s Most Valuable Players (LLL), George Vecsey
6) Great Rookies of the Major Leagues (LLL), Jim Brosnan
7) Great Pennant Races of the Major Leagues (LLL), Frank Graham, Jr.
8) Heroes of the Major Leagues (LLL), Alexander Peters
9) Great No-Hit Games of the Major Leagues (LLL), Frank Graham, Jr.
10) Little League to Big League: Stories of Little Leaguers Who Have Become Star Performers in Five Major Sports (LLL), Jim Brosnan
11) Great Hitters of the Major Leagues (LLL), Frank Graham, Jr.
12) Great Catchers of the Major Leagues (LLL), Jack Zanger
13) Amazing Baseball Teams, Dave Wolf
14) Star Pitchers of the Major Leagues, Bill Libby
15) Baseball’s Zaniest Stars, Howard Liss
16) More Strange but True Baseball Stories, Howard Liss
17) Great Infielders of the Major Leagues, Dave Klein
18) World Series Classics, Bill Gutman
19) Baseball’s Greatest Sluggers, Bill Libby
20) Record Breakers of the Major Leagues, Louis Sabin
21) Stars of the Major Leagues, Dave Klein
23) Baseball’s Great Moments, Herb Gluck

Movies
And there have been some wonderful baseball movies. I think we've had a list before, but some that I really liked in B&W:
::Angels in the Outfield (1951) (fiction)
::Pride of the Yankees (1942) (Lou Gehrig)
::The Pride of St. Louis (1952) (Dizzy Dean)

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: July 17 2010 at 9:47pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

MaryM wrote:
Roberto Clemente (charity, generousity)
Roberto Clemente: Pride of the Pittsburgh Pirates

I'm going to add this one I just read yesterday (newly published this year) - Clemente! - talks about giving a blessing to his boys and asking for a blessing from his parents when interviewed.

JennGM wrote:
I turn to dh for his input on baseball books. I love what Mary suggested above. Hank Aaron and Roberto Clemente were dh's favorites growing up (plus he's a Pirates fan, so he remembers vividly the night he died, New Year's Eve.

Jenn mentioned Hank Aaron. He is another worthy one. Hank Aaron:Brave in Every Way. Last page ends with:
"That night, when he was alone at last, Hank got down on his knees, closed his eyes, and thanked God for pulling him through." (in reference to breaking Babe Ruth's home run record, having received death threats and such leading up to it). Definietly portrayed as a man of courage and faith in this book.

Henry Aaron's Dream - brand new, great illustrations from Matt Tavares whose illustrations I really enjoy. It's a nice bio of him as well.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: July 18 2010 at 11:47pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

insegnante wrote:
I would just like to use his recent interest in baseball well to help him learn about other more important things.

You mean there's something more important than baseball?    Theresa, I'm new to the game, coming to it because my oldest son, now almost 15, dragged me to it when he was young. I'm glad I let him! This game, by its nature, is stocked full of important things! Excellence, courage, perseverance, American history, following rules, manliness, strength, strategy, loyalty, team work, fun, self-sacrifice, tradition, respect, obedience, skill, hard work, hierarchy, discipline, patriotism...oh goodness, I could go on and on.

It's players, by their nature, show the fullness of humanity! Mary and Jenn give great leads to "the good guys" of baseball. We love them all! My boys both wear 44 for Hank Aaron. Recent and current players to admire include Mike Piazza, Mike Sweeney, David Eckstein, Juan Pierre, Jeff Weaver, Jeff Supan.

Yet, "the bad guys" can teach us a ton! Ty Cobb loved the game more than anything ("Baseball was 100% of my life") but because of his complete disregard for others, he died without a friend. Pete Rose, "Charlie Hustle", was kicked out of the baseball, because he couldn't tame his demons. Barry Bonds has disappeared because of cheating and lies.

Many players fall into the complicated category. Babe Ruth played big, lived big and loved big. Check out his last message, The kids can't take it If we don't give it! Check out this article from 2007 about Josh Hamilton's redemption. He started and played clean up in last week's MLB All Star Game.   

Happy day...another little boy who is interested in baseball . Let our family know if there is anything we can do to support him .

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

mamasue
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 19 2010 at 12:23pm | IP Logged Quote mamasue

Wow!! Thanks for all the book ideas for my baseball-loving son's bday gifts!!
Back to Top View mamasue's Profile Search for other posts by mamasue

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: July 19 2010 at 12:35pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

mamasue wrote:
Wow!! Thanks for all the book ideas for my baseball-loving son's bday gifts!!

Ooooooooo, another baseball mom. Good to know, mamasue!

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

mamasue
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 19 2010 at 1:50pm | IP Logged Quote mamasue

Yes!!! Feel very much at home at our Baseball field!!
Back to Top View mamasue's Profile Search for other posts by mamasue

insegnante
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 20 2010 at 2:34am | IP Logged Quote insegnante

Thanks for the suggestions! I am really looking forward to getting some of these books/movies when I have a chance. I didn't know that Babe Ruth was a Catholic or that he had published a message like that at the end of his life. My son already has an interest from his independent reading (this all started with a DK book a relative gave him) and has done some additional reading on the Negro Leagues and the player whom he cutely referred to as "race-i-al barrier breaker Jackie Robinson," and he's mentioned Hank Aaron and Lou Gehrig to us.

This is so tangential, but one thing that makes this a sticky subject is that I had a brother who was a huge baseball fan, but committed suicide over 20 years ago when he was 21 and I was not yet 10. My 8yo has never heard of him and knowing what I know about my son, I don't think he's ready. But when our son talks to his grandmother about this, she tells him about the baseball stuff she has that she could give him -- she's already started sending cards and has many, many more. So of course he asked me "Why does Grandma have so many baseball things?" and I did not answer head on. I actually said, "Because she does" and later in the discussion I mentioned there were a lot of people in our family who liked baseball -- which is true, my father (who died 25 years ago) certainly did, but he didn't collect all those cards or have any game supplies that I know of at our house. And other relatives are big Mets fans too (which my DC area son has decided he is.) (Oh and I think there are some Yankees fans in our extended family -- I don't get it -- we're from Brooklyn!) I am glad he did not ask her why she has all that stuff. Honestly, baseball memories of my childhood are so tied up with memories of my brother. He also played Little League and/or school baseball as an elementary school aged kid, even though he didn't turn out to be a very athletic type. I actually feel like I don't have the heart to bring up to my mother that I'd rather she deemphasize the baseball stuff she has to offer just so I don't have to talk about my brother with my son yet -- I don't know, it just feels sad to have to say something that might amount to, "Not only did your son's life end this way but now I'm even uncomfortable with you sharing things that may remind you of a good time in his childhood [even if you don't mention him directly, because he might come up] with your grandson." We have two little boys and our third will be born soon and he was her only son, so sometimes I wonder if things like this bring up bittersweet memories for her. I know this is off-topic, but I guess when I think about being a "baseball family" I think about people who are gone from this life in my own family... Right now finding and taking a suitable opportunity for my own child to play "real" baseball would be a very tall order for our family, so lawn whiffle ball it is!

Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 20 2010 at 9:40am | IP Logged Quote Natalia

I was a big baseball fan growing up in the Dominican Republic. My team, Licey, had a training relationship with the Dodgers so, despite my family being a huge Yankee fan, I was a Dodgers fan. For years, I lost interested in baseball. Now things have come full circle. My youngest son lives for baseball. Thanks for the list, Mary. I am hoping the library have those we haven't read.

Back to Top View Natalia's Profile Search for other posts by Natalia

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: July 20 2010 at 12:00pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Oh Theresa, my heart weeps for your brother, your family, and you...especially for the almost 10 year old you . My dh and I have worked with grieving children and their families and my dh does some work in suicide prevention. We have a very tender place in our hearts for these crosses.

At the risk of this medium not allowing me to accurately and proportionately share my love and concern for you, I'll offer a few things that I hope will bring you consolation.

Reading your experience, I see much hope. Yes, I see pain and loss, too, yet I predominantly see the healing power of God shining, through your son and through baseball. Baseball is a way to connect with your brother, to his youth and innocence, before his suffering. It can help to face the pain, to lessen the sting. To help you grieve, the little girl who lost her brother and the grown woman who loves her son.

Children absorb information about difficult matters at their child level. God provides a cushion for them emotionally. As they grow, they reintegrate information and experience into their growing awareness. I trust your judgement on how much you feel your son can handle. Perhaps the time is coming when your brother can be brought up to your ds, in a simple and honest manner, like, "Other people in our family have liked baseball. I had a brother, who when he was little, liked baseball. He died when he was 21. We don't talk about him much because we're still sad about it." Most often, a child will accept this as enough information. If a child asks about the cause of death, there are ways to soften the blow while being truthful, for example, "His heart stopped working." For most, this will be enough information. If a child asks, "Why?", a simple "Because of an injury." If more whys come, an adult can reply, "There are details about this that I don't want to share with a little boy, because they are hard, and little boys don't need to know."

I am really touched by the exchange of baseball cards between your ds and dm. On one hand, baseball cards are just baseball cards. On the other hand, I've learned that the exchange of baseball cards can be about relationships. My boys swap cards with each other and with their friends. We had a neighbor who moved out of town and gave my boys a huge box of cards and they will never forget this! Perhaps this exchange of cards can be something special between your ds and dm, something that can be good for both of them.

Praise God, not everyone who likes/loves baseball, plays baseball . Me for example    . But if your ds brings up wanting to play, perhaps your dh or a friend can help make it happen, to lessen the emotional toll on you. Little League seasons are pretty short and sometimes community Parks and Recreation have short leagues in the fall. Who knows, you may end up liking the play, too! In the mean time, know that there are many ways to enjoy the game, as you are helping your ds to do...by reading books, watching games, following a team, keeping stats, following players, computer games (there was a really sweet one that my boys played when they were younger...Backyard Baseball, I think), watching movies, watching histories/documentaries, watching bloopers .

You are a great mom, Theresa! Be gentle with yourself, dear. I'm praying for you .

Love,

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: July 27 2010 at 12:58pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Theresa, I'm so sorry. I'm sure that it was hard to share.    I find great suggestions and much hope in the info Angie gave. I would be of the mind also that baseball interest could be an instrument of healing also - not just painful memories.

I'm also adding another picture book - one on Ted Williams. It's a well done book chronicling a major baseball record. Add Ted Williams to a study of hard work, dedication, and perseverance.

No Easy Way: The Story of Ted Williams and the Last .400 Season (Fred Bowen)

Our Domestic Church

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version