Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Across Time and Place
 4Real Forums : Across Time and Place
Subject Topic: Studying the States(US) Resources & Ideas Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 15 2010 at 12:15am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

I realized we have lots of threads about various aspects of studying the states (Capitals, shapes, quarters, etc) but not one that is a general overview of all the resources and ideas.

So I'm compiling old threads here for ease of searching and studying this topic. Hope it helps.

How the States Got Their Shapes
States and Capitals to Music
Learning States and Capitals
Learning State Capitals
States Books?
"Visited States" Site
Country and State ID - Middle School
State Study (lapbook ideas)
Vintage Post cards - state by state!

Help with ideas and resources to study the states! Keep the thread going...

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: April 15 2010 at 12:27am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

One of the reasons I started this thread is that we recently found this great book I wanted to share - United Tweets of America. So clever and funny! It presents facts about the states through the state bird. For example Mississippi has a Mockingbird singing in a (magnolia) tree dressed as Elvis.      There are additional facts about the state in the margins. My son loves it (and I do, too ). He will never forget the state bird of Colorado - "Lark Bunting bunting" (baseball analogy of course )

You really have to see it to appreciate it's appeal. Check out the "Check inside" feature at Amazon.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 15 2010 at 7:08am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

That book looks so cute Mary! I've added it to my Amazon Wish List, which is forever growing! We really enjoy the different states books by Sleeping Bear Press. I've collected several of them and the goal would be to get them all, but I'll probably not reach it!

Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

Elena
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 15 2010 at 7:23am | IP Logged Quote Elena

We have been using Trail Guidesfor our study of the states. Once I have it on my computer I can just print out the worksheets for the kids and it has been an enjoyable way for us to learn about the states.

One Day at a Time

Back to Top View Elena's Profile Search for other posts by Elena Visit Elena's Homepage

knowloveserve
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 03 2010 at 5:54pm | IP Logged Quote knowloveserve

Question: How do you all organize your state studies? Do you divide the country into sections: "Southwest" "13 colonies" "Midwest" etc? Or do you just pick a single state at a time to study in depth? Or try to tackle the whole USA all at once?

I'm trying to break it down in our house. We've collected 48 postcards (no luck on NH and DE), read a couple books as overviews... gathered a few picture books that are state specific... but we want to go in depth now! And I'm not sure how or more accurately, WHERE to start...

Mimip
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 03 2010 at 7:43pm | IP Logged Quote Mimip

Ellie,

We did it in order of statehood because we started our study of the states when we were studying Colonization and the 13 original colonies and the introduction of the states becoming "one". We made a notebook page for each state and then decorated a 3 ring binder for their state pages. It's working really well for us:)

My best friend separates them into regions and that works for her. She spends one quarter each on the regions and that way the kids always know where the state is on the map!

Back to Top View Mimip's Profile Search for other posts by Mimip

Barbara C.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 04 2010 at 12:40pm | IP Logged Quote Barbara C.

Don't Know Much About the 50 States by Kenneth C. Davis. (Ages 6-9)

Mom to "spirited" dd(9), "spunky" dd (6), "sincere" dd (3), "sweet" dd (2), and baby girl #5 born 8/1/12!!
Box of Chocolates
Back to Top View Barbara C.'s Profile Search for other posts by Barbara C. Visit Barbara C.'s Homepage

pmeilaen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 04 2010 at 9:35pm | IP Logged Quote pmeilaen

This source is a living books approach to the 50 states. It's very useful for a wide age range. My children really like the books listed: Simply Stated. Karen Andreola recommends it.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version