Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Across Time and Place
 4Real Forums : Across Time and Place
Subject Topic: States and Capitals to music? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Marcia
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 27 2007 at 10:16pm | IP Logged Quote Marcia

Does anyone have a suggestion for music to learn the capitals and states? I just jinxed myself when the museum curator told my third grader that she needed to know all the states and capitals in the fourth grade! Really? Who says? I don't even know if I could name them. :) TIA.
Back to Top View Marcia's Profile Search for other posts by Marcia

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Nov 27 2007 at 11:32pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Marcia wrote:
... the museum curator told my third grader that she needed to know all the states and capitals in the fourth grade! Really? Who says?

They say - you know - - them. Fourth graders need to know the states and capitals. It's written in stone. It's just the way it is. Because as we know they will be unable to progress further than 4th grade without that information. I have always found this interesting, especially since as an adult I am called upon so frequently to have that information memorized.

But seriously it is, in almost all cases, listed as a part of 4th grade scope and sequence for the curriculum. I know 4th grade is when I "learned" it and so it continues. As you are quite aware there is no magic reason that it has to be 4th grade.

What we generally do is learn them as we study a particular place or as part of unit studies. They don't necessarily have them all memorized but they are familiar with them and know the ones that are actually pertanent to us in some way (geographically close, relatives/friends living there, etc.)

So to your original question - we haven't used music for this so I'm not really familiar with the options out there. There is this song which I have heard sung - but not used it personally.

Though it's not a song, I recommend this book for visually learners. It's full of funny pictures for each state/capital that are mnemonic devices for memory. My daughter really enjoyed it and it helped her retain a lot.

Yo, Sacramento

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 27 2007 at 11:51pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

We have this CD (Troxel) from Sing-n-Learn. It's VERY catchy and fun, and I FINALLY know all the capitals myself, thanks to this CD.    .   There is a sample at the bottom so you get a feeling for the music. Sing-n-learn sells two states/capital CDs....IMHO,this one is better. A friend of mine has the other one, and it isn't nearly as fun and upbeat.

Each song is played twice. The first time saying the state/capital twice. The second time it gives the kids a chance to say it the first time....to "test" themselves.

We played it in the van when my dad and sister were here last year and they were laughing so hard cuz we were all belting it out.

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

Maddie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 27 2007 at 11:53pm | IP Logged Quote Maddie

When someone mentions a capital city, I STILL hear the corresponding state in my head thanks to this states and capital tape.

We love this one, it's fun to sing to and even my little guys can sing along.

ETA: I must have been typing when Suzanne was posting. She gave a much better review, I second her recommendation.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version