Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: May Liturgical planning thread Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 02 2012 at 9:40am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

JennGM wrote:
For Marian Ideas, for the Month dedicated to Our Lady:

I'm preparing our blue tablecloths for our dining room table. I also found some lovely vintage handkerchiefs and napkins that I will use to put under a statue or two of Mary in prominent places to mark her month.

Our homeschool group will have a May Crowing. My mother used to have a small crown of flowers to crown our statue that was kept in the middle of the dinner table all month long. I wish I could find the flowers she used. They were small, pastel, stiffened cloth, on taped wire stems that she made into a crown.

We always listen to our Handmaiden of the Lord, Volumes I and II cds from Daughters of St. Paul, and I pick one Marian song to learn for the month. We've been doing "Regina Coeli" in chant for Easter. I think we might sing "Salve Regina" this month.

Here are from past threads. I don't know if I'll have time to do May day baskets, or not.

May Day
::Marian May Day Baskets

May Crownings
::May Crowning

General Mary and May Ideas
::Mary Tree
::May Planning
::Carnival for Mary’s Month in May
::Marian Craft Ideas
::Mary for May
::Blessed Mother Notebook Project
::Around the World with Mary
::Mary in May

Blogs and Books
::Meredith has lovely ideas from her blog for the Month of May.
::And she has a book full of ideas.
::Also AussieAnnie has some great ideas Under her Starry Mantle
::Helen has Daily Marian mailing you can sign up for here
::Karen Edmisten has a book on the Rosary that would be a wonderful reading material for this month.
::4Real: Our Lady Goes A-Maying
::4Real: The Kitchen Madonna which is newly reprinted by Bethlehem Books!
::Catholic Icing: Mary
::Treasure Chest of Fun and Fact: Mary
::Treasure Chest of Fun and Fact: Marian Apparitions
::Treasure Chest of Fun and Fact: Marian Art
::Treasure Chest of Fun and Fact: Marian Shinres

Coloring Pages
There are various coloring pages for Mary and the rosary mentioned in this thread, including some Rosary Coloring Pages.

Above include many Marian devotions for the month of May. Just a few thoughts:

My roses are blooming -- Our Lady of Guadalupe and John Paul II roses, so I hope to have roses on the table and altar all May. My peonies are also about to bloom, so another beautiful bounty. I found some lovely Marian statues that have a vase attached, and looking forward to filling them up. One will need some flower foam, because the opening was too wide, and my roses flopped over.

My favorite prayerbook is Handbook of Prayers edited by James Socias. It has been recently updated with the new Roman Missal translation, and available in various binding. It is printed by Midwest Theological Forum.

Amazon link for 2011 version, but no Prime option

My spiritual director reminded me of the devotions for Mary in May. Each day in May is a short meditation and then an application to do throughout the day. Today is to give words of love when passing an image of Mary.

The site seems to be down, but the web archive of eCatholichub has the devotions online: Month of Mary May Devotions.

This is the link: http://www.ecatholichub.net/pray/devotions/to-the-blessed-vi rgin-mary/month-of-mary-may-devotions if you need to find the cached or web archive of this page.

We're doing this aloud for our morning prayers, discussing the offering, different ways we can do this throughout the day.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 02 2012 at 11:35am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Adding a few books that we use or have used during the month of May. These are either OOP or reprinted at some time.

::Our Lady Goes A-Maying by Mother Mary Paula Williamson
::Mary My Mother by Sister Mary Jean Dorcy (other titles by her as well, such as Shrines of Our Lady)
::Mary Is Our Mother: The Life of Our Dear Lord's Mother told for children by F. R. Boschvogel, P.J. Kenedy and Sons, 1955.
::Came the Dawn: Mary of Nazareth, God's Mother and Ours by Daughters of St. Paul, Encounter Book, 1982
::Journeys with Mary by Zerlina De Santis, St. Paul Editions, 1981, Encounter Series.

Beautiful paintings of Our Lady from all over the world. My mother had these and I used to love and just page through the illustrations:
::Hail, Holy Queen! by John Collin, S. J., Daughters of St. Paul, 1963
::All Generations Shall Call Me Blessed by Rosalie Marie Levy

Forgot to include:
::4Real: The Kitchen Madonna which is newly reprinted by Bethlehem Books

And two titles from First Book for Little Catholics series: Hail Mary and My Name is Mary.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

kristinannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 02 2012 at 12:02pm | IP Logged Quote kristinannie

Can anyone recommend a good picture book about St. Isidore the Farmer? This is one of my husband's favorite saints so I want to celebrate this day.

Jenn, thank you so much for all of your hard work. I love the coloring pages. I just printed out about 20 of them.   

Katherine Elizabeth 8 months
Back to Top View kristinannie's Profile Search for other posts by kristinannie

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 02 2012 at 12:22pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

kristinannie wrote:
Can anyone recommend a good picture book about St. Isidore the Farmer? This is one of my husband's favorite saints so I want to celebrate this day.

Jenn, thank you so much for all of your hard work. I love the coloring pages. I just printed out about 20 of them.   

You are welcome!

For St. Isidore, I have only found one that is indirectly related to St. Isidore, The Santero's Miracle: A Bilingual Story by Amy Cordova

From This Thread:

JennGM wrote:
MaryM wrote:
The Santero's Miracle

You know, I don't think I ever mentioned that I use that book for St. Isidore's feast on May 15. At least my initial search didn't find on the board.

Mary has reviewed here in this thread on Christmas picture books. I just love this book.

It is a Christmas book, about a man who makes santeros, and his nephew is learning with him. He is making St. Isidro (Isidore) right around Christmas, it gets all snowed in. I won't spoil, but St. Isidore is implored and gives miraculous intervention for Christmas. Lovely!

I think I recently came across a small illustrated story of St. Isidore the Farmer, but it escapes me right now. I don't think it was a dedicated book, though.

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: May 15 2012 at 7:06am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Today is the Feast of St. Isidore. We have a very special devotion to the humble saint and his wife, dear St. Maria here. I know I'm probably late getting these ideas up here for this year, but I wanted to add them to the thread in case others were interested. My friend, Kym, helped me find these.

kristinannie wrote:

I have one picture book to recommend for St. Isidore, and two compilation books that have a little on St. Isidore.

Isidore Finds Time to Care: A Story About St. Isidore (oop) by Sister Rafael
Tilton, Winston Press, 1980 (Christian Heroes series) - small paperback
story book. Not bad for a picture book from the 80's.

Saints for the Small (oop) by Frank Morriss, Bruce Publishing, 1964 - has a short chapter on St. Isidore and his wife, Maria. This whole book is a gem and makes a wonderful read aloud for littles (my 4yo really likes it) since the chapters are extremely short - no more than a full page of text. The short chapter on St. Isidore and St. Maria is dear, emphasizing that their saintliness came from them simply being faithful in their humble lives as farmers.

More Saints Lives and Illuminations by Ruth Sanderson - This is Sanderson's second volume of saints lives and St. Isidore is mentioned in it.

Happy Feast of St. Isidore everyone. May the humble saint pray for us and our efforts at faithfulness in the ordinary duties of life, and especially pray for our efforts in our gardens.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 15 2012 at 10:47am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I have one more to add for St. Isidore. We just read it aloud, and it's a wonderful narrative of St. Isidore.

O'Neill, Mary. Saints: Adventures in Courage by Mary O'Neill, Doubleday, 1963, Illustrated by Alex Ross
(color images).

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version