Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: May Plans Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
domchurch3
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 04 2008 at 8:30pm | IP Logged Quote domchurch3

I was wondering what your plans are for May feast days, celebrations and traditions. I want to plan ahead. Anyone who has something on their blog that they did last year?

Back to Top View domchurch3's Profile Search for other posts by domchurch3

CathinCoffeland
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 06 2008 at 11:04pm | IP Logged Quote CathinCoffeland

We have a Mary Month of May when we have our hs friends over once a week to do a simple Mary related project.

Last year we made May Day Baskets and planted Mary Gardens - here is a pic from last year

We made rosaries to donate and
we also made little statue crowns for our home statues.

We stick with simple as our kiddos are little- meet, craft , run around outside

other ideas we have done- weeding the flower garden around the Mary statue at church... or planting one if you dont have one.

MAking little paper marian shrines.

Maggie
Back to Top View CathinCoffeland's Profile Search for other posts by CathinCoffeland Visit CathinCoffeland's Homepage

domchurch3
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 07 2008 at 6:39pm | IP Logged Quote domchurch3

OOOH! I really like the potted Mary Gardens? What a great thing to do until we can have a landscaped garden. Thank You for the idea!

I also like the idea of having a few kids over once a week for a Marian project and playtime. Instead of having a great huge fiesta (probably not doable this year) we can invite a few of her friends over for a Marian craft and free playtime. Thanks for the lovely ideas!
Back to Top View domchurch3's Profile Search for other posts by domchurch3

Lori B
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 07 2008 at 9:30pm | IP Logged Quote Lori B

I found this at Google Books, but I haven't had a chance to read through it yet. I'm hoping there are some simple (do-able!) ideas for celebrating at home.

LLMom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 08 2008 at 11:40am | IP Logged Quote LLMom

Since we live in the country, we are going to assign a child a day each week and then all through May, they will be responsible for filling our vase with wildflowers for our outside Marian shrine.

Back to Top View LLMom's Profile Search for other posts by LLMom

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: April 08 2008 at 12:55pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

May is SO fun! Other than Advent/Christmas & Lent/Easter it keeps us the busiest as a liturgial celebration time.

Maggie the potted Mary gardens are so cute. You could to them in a variety of sizes.

I've linked to past blog posts some of the things we have done.

Ascension climb & picnic - In The Easter Book by Fr. F.X. Weiser, he tells of the tradition in some countries of mountain climbing or picnicing on hill tops on the Feast of the Ascension. For the past two years I have organized this event for our local homeschool group. It has been very well attended and a greaat visual reminder. (We do the Thursday even though the liturgical celebration of Ascension has been moved to the Sunday)

Another thing we have done is make a display where we could place different images of Our Lady and changing them out throughout the month. This link also includes the ornaments we made for May for our Mary Tree - that was an all year project.

We have used the Litany of Loreto and taken a different line each day of the month and studied that title. For some we have done a project, activity, craft, if I could come up with one.

Pentecost:
Apostle's Display
Apostle shrine boxes (from Altoid tins)

Fun Books for two May feast days (St. Isadore & St. Pascual)

May Day - we often do May Day baskets, decorating them with a Marian theme and leaving them on the door of friends or neighbors.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 08 2008 at 3:36pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Wonderful ideas! I'll have to come back with more plans, but Pentecost and Mother's (or is it Mothers'?) Day and the Visitation also falls in May.

We concentrate on the rosary. I just found out that Domestic-Church has added two sister sites, Marian Devotions and Lent and Easter which contain material from their books.

I think their newest book on Marian devotions would be perfect for this May. We'll also be praying the rosary, using our Rosary Cards and Boxes.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

stacykay
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 12 2008 at 3:43pm | IP Logged Quote stacykay

CathinCoffeland wrote:
Last year we made May Day Baskets and planted Mary Gardens - here is a pic from last year....

Maggie

I, too, love your plantings with the statues. Where did you buy your Mary statues? Are they plastic? How did they hold up? And, last, were the flowers "Mary" flowers?

Thanks for fantastic ideas!!!

God Bless,
Stacy in MI
Back to Top View stacykay's Profile Search for other posts by stacykay

SylviaB
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 27 2009 at 7:38am | IP Logged Quote SylviaB

I thought I would revive this thread to see what everyone had planned this year for May.

I love the idea for a potted Mary garden. Think we will do one on our deck, just need to find a statute now! :)
Back to Top View SylviaB's Profile Search for other posts by SylviaB

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version