Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Marian Craft Ideas? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
blairb4
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 30 2007 at 1:04am | IP Logged Quote blairb4

You ladies were so helpful when I needed a Palm Sunday craft idea for our homeschool group. I'm leading the preschool group again this Friday and would love some ideas with a Marian theme (books, craft, etc). Thanks so much! With a new baby on the way, continued illness, and doctor visits, my brain just isn't there right now.

Thanks so much!
~~~
Blair in TX, wife of Steven '01
Mommy to Mary Clare '03, Elizabeth '05, Baby due Dec
little saints Agnes '04 and Augustine '07
My Blog
Back to Top View blairb4's Profile Search for other posts by blairb4 Visit blairb4's Homepage

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 30 2007 at 6:22am | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

Dear Blair,

Last year, I wrote a series on Marian May Activities. Please go to Crafts, Crownings and Celebrations. Scroll down and read from the bottom up to see the posts in chronological order.

Here is a Tea in Honor of Our Lady of Guadalupe that might work for May as well: Tea Menu, Shopping List, and Photos.

Rosary Making is another good idea!

Happy May!

Cottage Blessings
Brew yourself a cup of tea, and come for a visit!
Back to Top View alicegunther's Profile Search for other posts by alicegunther Visit alicegunther's Homepage

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 30 2007 at 7:49am | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

[QUOTE=alicegunther] Dear Blair,

Rosary Making is another good idea!

QUOTE]

Alice - we have planned to do rosary making this May. My kids have done the ones with spacers before. They want to do the knotted ones - how difficult is this? I will have 10 year olds, 7 year olds and 3 year olds (and mamas. I was planning on ordering from OLRM. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks for all the wonderful ideas on your website. We have everything ready to go with our mini altars and our May Day cones (though we are celebrating May Day on Friday!)
Thanks!

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

CathinCoffeland
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 30 2007 at 9:42am | IP Logged Quote CathinCoffeland

Rosary Making! Of course! I needed one more project for our "Mary Month of May" group and that will be it...boy some times the obvious is the one i miss

Today we are turing little plastic berry baskets into Marian may day baskets

the next mondays will be Rosary making

a trip to the unborn shrine for rosary and cleaning up the grounds.

and making our own container mary gardens.

maggie
Back to Top View CathinCoffeland's Profile Search for other posts by CathinCoffeland Visit CathinCoffeland's Homepage

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 30 2007 at 11:43am | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

Marianna and I were discussing this very thing on the way home from Mass yesterday and she decided she wants to try what she is calling a Scavenger Hunt this year. Can she find one image of Mary in Key West for every day of May? It should be very interesting, Key West is only 7.4 square miles, that's not very large at all!

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

nicole-amdg
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 30 2007 at 5:11pm | IP Logged Quote nicole-amdg

We have lots of images from cards and calendars of Mary, and I've always been fascinated by Joseph Cornell's art assemblages. I think we're going to try to do some "picture study" of photographs of his art and make Mary assemblages in May.

Maybe one of Our Lady of Guadalupe, with the saying in this story (especially since one of my First Communicants was born on 12/12).
Back to Top View nicole-amdg's Profile Search for other posts by nicole-amdg

blairb4
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: May 01 2007 at 12:44am | IP Logged Quote blairb4

Thanks so much, ladies. Very helpful! I think I may try the holy water Marian necklaces from Alice's ideas. I think that would be easy for 3-5yr olds.
Back to Top View blairb4's Profile Search for other posts by blairb4 Visit blairb4's Homepage

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 01 2007 at 6:45am | IP Logged Quote Dawn

Blair, sounds like you're all set, but I thought I'd mention an easy craft I did with my boys. We made very simple May Day cups to deliver to friends and family. You could use blue cups and adhere an image of Mary to the front, then fill them with Marian flowers. (We used forsythia and ferns, or Our Lady's Hair.) Here's a list of flowers with Marian connections.

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 01 2007 at 7:20am | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

blairb4 wrote:
Thanks so much, ladies. Very helpful! I think I may try the holy water Marian necklaces from Alice's ideas. I think that would be easy for 3-5yr olds.

That is wonderful! For crafting with a crowd of children, stickers and small flowers easily wired (in the favor section of the craft store) round the neck of the bottle make things easier.

Thank you for the reminder of Marian May Baskets and the Plastic Cup Challenge, Dawn! Last year, the girls and I decided to turn the secular custom of May Baskets into something for our Blessed Mother. It is traditional to leave these May Baskets for friends on May 1st, but any day during the month would be fine. The idea of making them from a drinking cup came because it seemed that it should be something anyone could do with materials from around the house without a lot of expensive materials.

Here are the links:

May Baskets for Our Lady and St. Joseph

The Plastic Cup Challenge

Today's Marian May Basket Photos

This year, our variation on the theme is paper cones:

Marian May Cones

Believe it or not, the girls and I have already made about sixty of them!

Happy May!

Cottage Blessings
Brew yourself a cup of tea, and come for a visit!
Back to Top View alicegunther's Profile Search for other posts by alicegunther Visit alicegunther's Homepage

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 01 2007 at 9:30am | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

I was sitting here pretty struck realizing that today is May 1st and how did that happen??? What happened to April?

Goodness, I just got finished with Easter; the commitments in May are . I don't know if I have energy to hit the craft store, much less the time.

What I need is a retreat. And that isn't happening.

So I'm sitting here thinking of all my numerous commitments and looking at all these wonderful ideas and feeling less than adaquate because I've done no planning and really don't know if I can plan.

So....

...I said a quick pray to our Lady for her help and...lo and behold...she quickly and gently reminded me that we have a Confirmation tonight so the whole family will be together at Mass and we are praying a rosary today for a friend in need. What better way to begin the month of Mary.

No planning required.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Mrs.K
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 01 2007 at 12:42pm | IP Logged Quote Mrs.K

Oh, Cay! That was a lovely post!
Do check out all of alce's wonderful ideas. I posted about making pony bead rosaries
here.

My blogPondered in My Heart
Jesus,I trust in You!
Back to Top View Mrs.K's Profile Search for other posts by Mrs.K

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: May 01 2007 at 3:38pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Here is the Marian May Day baskets thread from last year as well.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 01 2007 at 3:40pm | IP Logged Quote momwise

nicole-amdg wrote:
We have lots of images from cards and calendars of Mary, and I've always been fascinated by Joseph Cornell's art assemblages. I think we're going to try to do some "picture study" of photographs of his art and make Mary assemblages in May.

I'm really excited about this idea. I found this High School art study on Assemblage, 3-D Design and Sculpture. I'd love to make these boxes into "Prayer boxes." We have plenty of cards and calendars also.

There is a Middle School plan which I think looks better but they can be both be used at once.

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 02 2007 at 8:53am | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Well, grace was with us yesterday. The girls and I did get to make a couple of May Day Baskets (though I refer to them as May Day Nosegays because they were incomplete) for their sister's Confirmation last night.. You'll have to scroll down to see them but the girls were so excited with presenting them to her and they turned out beautifully!

Thank you, Alice!

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

blairb4
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: May 04 2007 at 5:16pm | IP Logged Quote blairb4

The picture of the little Holy Water bottles is on my blog. It turned out really well, although it took a lot of searching to find some plastic containers, which I finally found at Hobby Lobby. A friend had the Mary and Jesus stickers and I got some simple blue ribbon. The children loved going into the church to get the Holy Water. It was a great lesson (the last of the year, thankfully ;), and I thank you all for your ideas these past 2 months! I'm sure I'll need more in the future, but hopefully next time we'll have a little curriculum plan (either K4J or Little Saints or something).
~~~
Blair in TX, Mom to Mary Clare (4) and Ellie (2)
My Blog

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version