Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
The Arts in the Everyday
 4Real Forums : The Arts in the Everyday
Subject Topic: favorite coloring books & pages Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 10 2010 at 11:34am | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

What are you coloring these days? What are your family's favorite coloring books and pages? What are your favorite suppliers and online providers?

This topic was inspired by the topic favorite common practices. Here are some links to past coloring book topics.

Dover is our favorite supplier. We have many of their history, literature, and nature study coloring books. Currently we're coloring At the Zoo, Rocks and Minerals, and A Child's Garden of Verse.

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 10 2010 at 11:58am | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

I don't think we have any particular favorites. All of ours are from Dover, too, and I love the detailed pictures and the informative text. I always try to include them with anything we study!

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: April 10 2010 at 12:27pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

We really enjoy Dover coloring books! They are inexpensive, great quality paper, and they are built around themes. They are so abundant and varied, you can find a theme to coordinate with almost any period of history, many pieces of literature, and lots of great interests! My little fella really enjoys his firetruck coloring book! My oldest dd has really enjoyed completing several this year that coordinate with a period study of 1900's/Victoriana.

In addition to Dover which are sort of the standard around here, there are a few other sources I'll mention. We make use of this great "common practice" a lot!!

** Peterson Field Guide Coloring Books are a little more expensive than Dover coloring books, but I've been considering a couple of titles for next year as a supplement for science/nature study.

** Enchanted Learning offers an amazing number of pages for coloring especially for little people. The site is free, although for a small annual fee you can subscribe and print materials without ads or superfluous writing on the pages. It's a huge resource for me for coloring pages!

** Charlotte's coloring pages - Amazing collection of Catholic coloring pages Charlotte generously makes available...she has them organized so nicely now with her new blog theme!

** Neumann Press coloring books - these are rather expensive, but I love the quaint images within them.

** Catholic Heritage Curricula offers many free coloring pages on the free side of their site.

I have more...but I need to get back to my attic cleaning project! As you can see, we LOVE coloring books and coloring pages here! I can't wait to gather up a few more resources from you ladies!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: April 10 2010 at 1:01pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Here are more 4Real coloring links. Scanning these reminded of one of my favorites for ease, the Jesse Tree coloring page. But for beauty and enriching our Catholic faith, Charlotte's coloring pages are favorites here. Thanks, as always, Charlotte for providing this ministry for us!

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

hylabrook1
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 10 2010 at 1:22pm | IP Logged Quote hylabrook1

We especially like the Dover stained glass coloring books. At one point, the French doors in our kitchen were a "museum" of pages from the Book of Kells.

I also love the ones with more detailed pictures, for the big kids (like me?). My current favorite is the Floral Alphabet. Each page is for one letter, and the outlined letter is filled in with plant life beginning with that letter. It's really beautiful and a good connection with nature study as well.

Peace,
Nancy
Back to Top View hylabrook1's Profile Search for other posts by hylabrook1

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 10 2010 at 8:17pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

This is a great thread! My dd loves to color more than anything. I like the Dover books as well... though, really, any book with nice paper will do.
I hate the rough, scratchy paper that you get with most Dollar Store books.
Luckily, dd is not so picky... which is good, since Dover does not print My Little Pony books .

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: April 12 2010 at 2:43pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Jan Brett coloring pages

We just printed off A is for Armadillo .

Love,

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: April 15 2010 at 10:56am | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Tomie DePaola coloring pages

Love,

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: April 15 2010 at 1:49pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Science Coloring Pages

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Chris V
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 15 2010 at 5:45pm | IP Logged Quote Chris V

Oh, glorious day! I'm going to spend a good amount time clicking around with all these links ... the little ladies are sure to be pleased .

Back to Top View Chris V's Profile Search for other posts by Chris V

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: April 16 2010 at 3:59pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Coloring books for older students:

These are high school level...
Zoology Coloring Book
Botany Coloring Book
Biology Coloring Book
Microbiology Coloring Book
Physiology Coloring Book
Anatomy Coloring Book (**I have not previewed this book, but since I have used others in this series I'm certain this book contains the same level of detail and depth -- be advised to preview first**)
Marine Biology Coloring Book
The Human Brain Coloring Book
Botany Illustrated: Introduction to Plants, Major Groups, Flowering Plant Families

For the serious older student (not necessarily high school)...
Geography Coloring Book
Forests Coloring Book

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 16 2010 at 6:03pm | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

I have to post the absolutely beautiful rosary coloring pages that JennGM scanned and posted on her blog. After looking for rosary coloring pages that were acceptable to my resident artist (my 9 yr old), we found these and he loves them!

Flowing Streams
Back to Top View stellamaris's Profile Search for other posts by stellamaris Visit stellamaris's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 16 2010 at 7:50pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

stellamaris wrote:
I have to post the absolutely beautiful rosary coloring pages that JennGM scanned and posted on her blog. After looking for rosary coloring pages that were acceptable to my resident artist (my 9 yr old), we found these and he loves them!

Oh, thank you, Caroline.

A few of our favorites:

Feeder Birds Coloring Book from Cornell
Jim Arnosky's Coloring Pages

A while back I printed a lovely coloring book that had lots of insects...I'll have to find that one.

For a few Saint days:

St. Nicholas Pages to Print
St. Joseph Coloring Page

I can't remember if these were mentioned yet, but Paper Dali fabulous coloring paper dolls and crafts

and Lacy sometimes makes her own printables for feast days.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 16 2010 at 8:17pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Pardon me if these are duplicates:

National Geographic Coloring Pages

Here it is, an entymologist's dream! Coloring Fun with Insects

St. John the Baptist Church in Front Royal, VA, has some lovely coloring pages

Formerly "My Friend" by the Daughters of St. Paul, there now is JClub printables. Not all the same pictures, but still nice.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

ekbell
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 16 2010 at 8:42pm | IP Logged Quote ekbell

JennGM wrote:

St. John the Baptist Church in Front Royal, VA, has some lovely coloring pages

F

I love those colouring pages!

I also love the coloring pages here Free Curricula-Catholic Heritage Curricula

I'm currently printing out a set of rosary coloring pages onto watercolor paper, to color/paint with watercolors, watercolor pencil crayons and waterbrush. It's been working out quite well.

We've also occasionally brushed our coloring pages with veggie oil and put it up on a window for a stained glass effect.

Back to Top View ekbell's Profile Search for other posts by ekbell

Jenny L.
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: April 23 2010 at 3:11pm | IP Logged Quote Jenny L.

Thank you so much, all of you. My bookmark list just grew a lot. My boys are going to love these.
Back to Top View Jenny L.'s Profile Search for other posts by Jenny L.

knowloveserve
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 23 2010 at 4:34pm | IP Logged Quote knowloveserve

Hope you guys all know about Illuminated Ink's coloring contest a fantastic, high quality image of St. John Vianney

Dana
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: April 26 2010 at 10:18am | IP Logged Quote Dana

** Enchanted Learning offers an amazing number of pages for coloring especially for little people. The site is free, although for a small annual fee you can subscribe and print materials without ads or superfluous writing on the pages. It's a huge resource for me for coloring pages!

This maybe completly off topic at this point, but I'm so giddy!!! Jen    I was clicking around on the above link and this one has links to English-Portuguese and Brazillian flags and I don't know what else, but I'm just excited to have found a resource.

Back to Top View Dana's Profile Search for other posts by Dana

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: April 26 2010 at 10:23am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Dana wrote:

This maybe completly off topic at this point, but I'm so giddy!!! Jen    I was clicking around on the above link and this one has links to English-Portuguese and Brazillian flags and I don't know what else, but I'm just excited to have found a resource.

Oh, I'm so glad it was helpful then, Dana!

Dana
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: April 26 2010 at 11:28am | IP Logged Quote Dana

Yes, I should probably add my dh, Andre, is Brazillian. We're struggling in the bilingual department. It's tough when Andre is home I'm around so he feels like he's leaving me out when he speaks just Portuguese with the children. I've about decided to just start using whatever I know (I've learned some of the basics from my mother-in-laws visits) and not worry about Portuguese with a Southern accent issues later on :(

Whatever the case I'm sure I'll have a frustrated mother-in-law on my hands. I promised her bilingual children....
Back to Top View Dana's Profile Search for other posts by Dana

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version