Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Blessed Mother Notebook Project Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 05 2006 at 6:15am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Here is a gathering place for ideas for notebooks made to honor all the names of OUr Lady. We are going to begin with Mary, the Mother of God in house this week just because we're finishing up the de Paola unit and because we recently celebrated that feast.

I don't really have an order nailed down for other names. I thought about making it a year-long project and studying each name as the feast was celebrated. But I'm not sure I don't want to fnish by May.

Does anyone have a list of names and feast days they want to use?

For today, any immedicate ideas for Mary, the Mother of God. We have a theotokos icon that we'll study today and I think I'll ask them to try to draw it. We'll pull some ideas from the de Paola unit as well. And I'd like to make the ornament.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 05 2006 at 6:28am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Elizabeth -- could you use the Litany of Loreto-- maybe not all of them, but some of these titles are a bit obscure but so beautiful to discuss with the kids. I've often toyed with the idea of doing a book for kids that explains these, ala Cardinal Newman's meditations.

And there are some awesome images on the web that would be great to use too!

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Jan 05 2006 at 6:45am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Thanks for the link, Mary! I think I'll use the litany, but not limit the notebook pages to those titles. I want to get to Our Lady of Lourdes, and our Lady of Knock and Our Lady of the Snows...well you get the idea. And I want to be certain to have a page for each of the names of Mary represented at the National Shrine Great Upper Church and National Shrine Crypt Church

I think we can probably learn a good bit about Catholicism in different parts fo the world just by begiing with Marian devotions. How different the study of the people and places around Mary Queen of Irelandwill be compared with Our Mother of Africa.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)

Magnificat
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Jan 05 2006 at 7:06am | IP Logged Quote Magnificat

I would love to do this! But I have a few questions about the notebook. Is this a lapbook? What does the notebook pages "look" like? Is there a notebook page for each name?
It seems like everytime I try to attempt something like this with my kids (4, 6 and 8), it seems to just fizzle out...because I don't have a vision on what the process, or product should be.
If you can steer me into some starting direction...I would really love it.
Thanks so much!
Charlotte
Back to Top View Magnificat's Profile Search for other posts by Magnificat

Magnificat
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Jan 05 2006 at 7:10am | IP Logged Quote Magnificat

UGH!! Excuse my poor grammar!!    I haven't had my cup 'o joe yet!!!
Charlotte
Back to Top View Magnificat's Profile Search for other posts by Magnificat

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Jan 05 2006 at 8:00am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

We made a page for OUr Lady of Guadalupe. On one side, there is a narration of the story of Juan Diego. On the other side, there is a picture of Juan Diego wearing his tilma. The tilma is cut down the middle to make flaps. When you open the flaps, another flap falls down (it's folded up from the bottom) and on it are stickers of tiny roses. That flap was covering the image of Our Lady of Guadelupe. Clear as mud?

I'll see if I can borrow a camera and upload some pictures.

Anyway, that's just one name. I think as we go, we can think of different ideas for pages for different names.

I think I'll use a three ring notbook format instead of a lapbook format for this one. Incidentally though, the Juan Diego described above was orginally intended for the Tomie de Paola lapbook. Instead, I was so pleased with it that it inspired the notebook idea.

I think a notebook will be a place for Marian poetry, images of shrines and icons etc., copywork and narrations and all the other tings that will present themselves as we go...

MEBarrett
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 05 2006 at 10:07am | IP Logged Quote MEBarrett

I love this idea. We will definitely be doing this project.

I purchased a set of Marian Stamps from The Catholic Rubber Stamp Company for a Little Flowers project a few years ago. They also came in handy for Katie's Communion Notebook.

Pope John Paul II had some wonderful quotes about the Blessed Mother that might be used as well. I was thinking of this for a cover page

"Virgin Mother of God, let me be all yours!
Yours in life, yours in death, yours in affliction, fear and misery.
Yours on the Cross and in bitter grief, yours for time and eternity.
Virgin Mother of my GOd, let me be all yours! Amen"

-Pope John Paul II
(taken from A Year With God)

Tales from the Bonny Blue House
O Night Divine
Back to Top View MEBarrett's Profile Search for other posts by MEBarrett Visit MEBarrett's Homepage

MEBarrett
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 05 2006 at 10:24am | IP Logged Quote MEBarrett

This list of titles might be helpful.

O Night Divine
Back to Top View MEBarrett's Profile Search for other posts by MEBarrett Visit MEBarrett's Homepage

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: Jan 05 2006 at 10:35am | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

And check the Web Gallery of Art for an amazing collection of Marian (and other) art (printable).

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Jan 05 2006 at 10:36am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Mary Ellen,
I went to the rubber stamp site and clicked on Marian. The titles look Marian but the pictures don't really match the titles. What am I doing wrong? Are there pix of the Marian stamps?

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Jan 05 2006 at 10:59am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Elizabeth wrote:
What am I doing wrong? Are there pix of the Marian stamps?

It looks like the links are currently really mixed up on the site. There have been problems with that site before on links unfortunately. Hopefuly they will get it corrected, but you can go through some of the other subject headings and find many of the Marian images scattered throughout. I have a paper catalog from them and can try to scan the Marian pages later to post if you want.

Images they have are:
Our Lady of Guadalupe
Our Lady of Lourdes (2)
Our Lady of Perpetual Help
Our Lady of La Leche
Our Lady of Fatima
Our Lady of the Streets
Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception (Miraculous Medal)
Our Lady of Knock
Our Lady of Lasalette
Our Lady of Mt. Carmel (2)
Our Lady of Peace
Our Lady of the Roasary
Our Lady of Help of All Christians (2)
Theotokus (2)
Our Lady of Czestochowa
Immaculate Heart
Plus some rosary stamps and lots of Marian sayings

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Sarah
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 05 2006 at 11:00am | IP Logged Quote Sarah

Elizabeth wrote:
On the other side, there is a picture of Juan Diego wearing his tilma.

Elizabeth, are these picture your children's drawings or photocopies, or what? This sounds so neat. I'd like to try something similar.

Back to Top View Sarah's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah

MEBarrett
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 05 2006 at 11:10am | IP Logged Quote MEBarrett

MaryM wrote:
It looks like the links are currently really mixed up on the site. There have been problems with that site before on links unfortunately.

I have never had trouble with the site before but evidentally they are having a goofy time of it. You can email them at the HELP section to make sure your oder is filled correctly. They send a paper catalog with each order and that is easier and more extensive.

O Night Divine

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 05 2006 at 1:07pm | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

This is the best idea EVER, and we will certainly join you in this project, Elizabeth. What a wonderful way to start the year, and if you use the calendar to cover the Marian Feast Days in order, it cannot get overwhelming even if you decide to include a great many of Our Lady's titles. I can just imagine how thoroughly brilliant these notebooks will be.

This document from the EWTN Library provides a list of major Marian Feast days with information on each one. I also remember a friend of mine having a calendar with a feast day devoted to our Lady for every single day of the year! I'll have to ask her about that.

Thanks for the inspiration.

Cottage Blessings
Brew yourself a cup of tea, and come for a visit!
Back to Top View alicegunther's Profile Search for other posts by alicegunther Visit alicegunther's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Jan 05 2006 at 1:16pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Mary G. wrote:
Elizabeth -- could you use the Litany of Loreto-- maybe not all of them, but some of these titles are a bit obscure but so beautiful to discuss with the kids. I've often toyed with the idea of doing a book for kids that explains these, ala Cardinal Newman's meditations.

We have used these titles to do a "Mary name of the day" study for the days during May (discussion, art projects). We have used these books for that:
Our Lady's litany: readings and reflections, Biskupek, Aloysius, 1954    
The titles of Our Lady : reflections on the Litany of Loreto, Spitzer, R. J. 1962
Having a specific book geared toward children with these titles would be awesome. The titles are so beautiful and full of theological meaning. A book that does cover some of the Marian titles from the litany is The Donkey's Dream. I love this book.

Elizabeth wrote:
And I want to be certain to have a page for each of the names of Mary represented at the National Shrine Great Upper Church and National Shrine Crypt Church

I think we can probably learn a good bit about Catholicism in different parts fo the world just by begiing with Marian devotions.

This is a nice book for learning about some of the Marian devotions from other cultures around the world.
The Other Faces of Mary by Ann Ball

MEBarrett wrote:
This list of titles might be helpful.

This is a great list, Mary Ellen, as it includes both the Litany associated titles as well as the appartion/devotion titles from around the world. Very complete! Thanks.

This site has Marian associated days throughout the year. There is something almost everyday of the year, so it goes beyond the official liturigal Marian celebrations of the current Church calendar. One could learn tons just by taking rabbit trails off of some of these days.

-Mary page - Women for Faith and Family
-Compilation of tons of links for Mary topics

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Jan 05 2006 at 1:24pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

alicegunther wrote:
This document from the EWTN Library provides a list of major Marian Feast days with information on each one. I also remember a friend of mine having a calendar with a feast day devoted to our Lady for every single day of the year! I'll have to ask her about that.

Alice posted the same EWTN link I did in the above post- we are definitely on the same page it seems. Alice, I did post one link with a Marian feast for "most" days of the year and then there is this one which I believe is the one I was actually looking for - had run across it before.

Feast of Our Lady - throughout the year

Our Domestic Church

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Jan 05 2006 at 1:38pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

MaryM wrote:
   Alice, I did post one link with a Marian feast for "most" days of the year and then there is this one which I believe is the one I was acyually looking for - had run across it before.

Feast of Our Lady - throughout the year

Wow! Okay, now we need a plan for doing this deeply as well as wide...We can't possibly do a page a day and do it well can we? HOw to choose?

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 05 2006 at 4:24pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

What a wonderful project! Will you have books to read along while you do the project?

I have a few ideas. I don't have time now to research WHERE I can get all the information.

The calendars of feasts of Our Lady is pretty long and overwhelming. The link from MaryM and Alice with the major feasts of Mary would be where I would start:

1) Mary, Mother Of God - 1 January - Solemnity
2) Our Lady Of Lourdes - 11 February
3) Annunciation Of The Lord - 25 March – Solemnity
4) Immaculate Heart Of Mary - April - Memorial, Movable
5) Our Lady Help Of Christians - 24 May – Solemnity Australia
6) Visitation Of The Blessed Virgin Mary - 31 May – Feast
7) Our Lady Of Mount Carmel - 16 July - Optional Memorial
8) Assumption Of The Blessed Virgin Mary - 15 August – Solemnity
9) Queenship Of Mary - 22 August – Memorial
10) Birthday Of The Blessed Virgin Mary - 8 September – Feast
11) Our Lady Of Sorrows - 15 September – Memorial
12) Our Lady Of The Rosary - 7 October – Memorial
13) The Presentation Of The Blessed Virgin Mary - 21 November - Memorial
14) Immaculate Conception - 8 December – Solemnity

Some other entries would be based on your idea of images at the shrine. These are just random ideas:

Pick out various countries you are studying or fond of, such as Poland for JPII, Bavaria for our current Pope. Each child could pick a country and find out the Marian patron for the country, or at least a Marian shrine or devotion of the country. Our Lady of Czestochowa for Poland.

Then, in picking the country and Marian devotion, imitate the art or type of devotiona that country uses to portray.

Your example of studying the icon is great...that could be a whole study in the Eastern language of icons. The handmade illustration could be trying one's hand at making an icon, or cutting out the main part from another and applying it to a gold background and just making the symbols and angels that are found in the background. Or "dissect" an icon, mark with labels the symbolism that the children study. For example, make a line to the nose, and in the label talk about the slender nose, illustrates _____...(I'm drawing a blank right now! )

And in the Alps area (and other places) there were wayside shrines, little wooden shelters with the images of Mary and saints. Berta Hummel had some images and statues with that. This isn't Marian, but I had mentioned a book by Elizabeth Orton Jones in this thread that illustrates the wayside shrine she made of St. Francis. One of the pages could be a pop-up shrine made in similar pattern.

Mosaics, made of paper for another image.

Using scherenschnitte or other forms of paper cutting to make an image. I'll sound like a broken record, but I highly recommend anything by Sister Mary Jean Dorcy to see some beautiful illustrations of Mary with the scherenschnitte. In particularly, she has Our Lady's Feastswhich is just wonderful. Neumann Press has reprinted Our Lady of Springtime which is quite beautiful with lovely poetry and illustrations. Can I say beautiful any more?

Adrian Dominican Sisters shop

Catholic Authors

Dan Paulos, Sister was his mentor and they collaborated on a book, Spring Comes to the Hill Country (gorgeous). He also has some of her art for sale. I know what I'm going to ask for my birthday!

In the Midst of Chaos, Peace

She also has a book not using the paper cuttings, but it's called Shrines of Our Lady, which covers England, Ireland, Scotland, Spain, Portugal, France, Belgium...oh, the list is long!

A few other books I recommend:

Shrines of Our Lady Around the World by Zsolt Aradi. Some of the text has been posted here. It's OOP, but I found inexpensive copies on www.bookfinder.com.

Two OOP Daughters of St. Paul Books: All Generations Will Call Me Blessed by Rosalie Marie Levy, and Hail Holy Queen by Rev. John H. Collins, SJ. The first one is more a compilation of Marian prayers, poems and hymns along with artwork of Mary and the various Madonnas of different countries. Second has meditations on the Salve Regina, again with illustrations, but less. These are full color. My mother has these since I was young and I just would pore over the illustrations. I was especially intrigued by oriental Madonnas...the art was so different than I was used to.

And of course, my other plug for symbols. I love studying symbols. There's another thread on this, but an OOP book With Christ Through the Year: The Liturgical Year in Word and Symbols by Rev. Bernard Strasser, OSB has some excellent Marian symbols for the feast days.

Sorry for such a long post.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 05 2006 at 5:51pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

jenngm67 wrote:

And in the Alps area (and other places) there were wayside shrines, little wooden shelters with the images of Mary and saints. Berta Hummel had some images and statues with that.

You wouldn't believe the amount of Marian shrines throughout Europe but especially in Eastern Europe -- maybe they needed more prayers ?

I have some pictures of Czestchowa and other Marian shrines throughout Austria if you'd like -- pm and I'll send them to you. Also, I've done some articles for the NCRegister about Knock, Czestochowa, and some smaller Austrian shrines if you're interested.

The love of Mary really permeates Eastern Europe -- maybe why JP2 was very much a Marian devotee.

One thing you could add to the notebooks is the geography angle -- what is the Marian title for patroness of all the countries (i.e, Poland - Czestochowa, Americas - Our Lady of Guadalupe, Austria - Our Lady of Mariazell, etc.....). All of them have one and this would be a great way to integrate geography and the universality of Catholicism into the notebooks.

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Jan 05 2006 at 6:37pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

jenngm67 wrote:
Using scherenschnitte or other forms of paper cutting to make an image. I'll sound like a broken record, but I highly recommend anything by Sister Mary Jean Dorcy to see some beautiful illustrations of Mary with the scherenschnitte.

Here are some of the "Paper Madonnas" from the U. of Dayton site for the Marian art gallery (examples of the artists Jenn mentioned)
Paper Madonnas 1
Paper Madonnas 2
The St. Bernadette Institute of Sacred Art has a short slide show of papercutting pieces including Marian images. (Go to "Collection" and then click on the papercuttings)

Jenn, have you seen this pattern supplier? There is a site that has lots of beautiful patterns to do your own scherenschnitte. They do have a Life of the Virgin Mary set which includes the Annunciation, Visitation, Nativity, and Flight into Egypt. They also have other specifically Nativity patterns.

Our Domestic Church

Page of 5 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version