Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: October Liturgical Planning thread Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Lacy
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 20 2010 at 10:33am | IP Logged Quote Lacy

Jenifleur wrote:
Where is the link to the sun spinners, Lacy? (Hi - by the way recruiter ) I need to mark this thread a favorite - so many lovely things to make!

Sun Spinner Directions

Jenifleur
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Oct 20 2010 at 1:04pm | IP Logged Quote Jenifleur

Thanks!

jdostalik
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 19 2011 at 1:29pm | IP Logged Quote jdostalik

Hello ladies!

I am researching a bit on a lesson for Little Flowers that I teach this week...it is for very young girls (5-7). We are learning about St. Teresa of Avila. I saw on the web quite a few links to a St. Teresa paper doll (mentioned on this thread as well as Shower of Roses and Catholic Icing) but the server is no longer a valid one and I can't find it...Did any of you perhaps save it as a pdf? If so, could perhaps someone mail it to me as an attachment? I'd be happy to message you my email addy.

Thanks in advance if you can help...this would be a perfect activity for the little girls.   

Let the Little Ones Come

Back to Top View jdostalik's Profile Search for other posts by jdostalik Visit jdostalik's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Sept 28 2011 at 7:41am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I'm making some preparations for October and thought I'd give this thread a bump.

One of our favorite feast days is October 7, Our Lady of the Rosary. Thanks to all who shared so many great ideas here!

Last year, we found this book and read it:

Mackfam wrote:
** Knights Besieged by Nancy Faulkner (oop), I hope to have this book in my hands soon...this book is about the Knights of Malta, or Hospitallers of the Island of Malta. It was originally published in 1964 as part of the Clarion Books series.

I wanted to come back and review it briefly.

It's an excellent historical fiction account of a young boy who escapes enslavement by the Turks and stows away on a Turkish ship to try to return to England. When the Knights Hospitallers attack the Turkish ship he has stowed away on, he becomes a squire to the English knight that rescued him and prepares to fight with the Knights as they battle the Turks who threaten Christianity in the East. The young boy becomes a key part in the military operations to take back the little island of Rhodes. Set in the 16th century, it isn't directly about the Battle of Lepanto, but certainly gives a feel for the period and the fight of English knights to save Christendom.

Especially appealing to boys with themes of: knights, chivalry, battles, intrigue, spying, and young boys living out adventures in the name of Christianity.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

imcatholic
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Sept 29 2011 at 9:43am | IP Logged Quote imcatholic

Jen - Thanks for the book recommendation - we have just finished listening to the EWTN audio series on the crusades so this will be perfect.

jawgee
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 29 2011 at 7:46pm | IP Logged Quote jawgee

We are celebrating St. Francis' feast day next week with four other families. Here is what we have planned:

-a read-aloud of Brother Francis and the Friendly Beasts
-a nature walk
-St. Francis peg dolls (like the ones here, here, and here)
-some St. Francis coloring pages from CHC

C (12/2001), N (11/2005), M (5/2008), J (8/2009) and three angels
The Catholic Cup on Facebook
Back to Top View jawgee's Profile Search for other posts by jawgee

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 19 2011 at 7:13pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

October 19 is St. Paul of the Cross, founder of the Passionists and the North American Martyrs: Isaac Jogues, John de Brebeuf, Gabriel Lalemant, Noel Chabanel, Charles Garnier, Anthony Daniel, Rene Goupil and John de Lalande (the first six Jesuits, the last two laymen).

I just scanned this thread and was shocked to see we didn't have anything on these great saints except one little blurb by me!

::Catholic Culture
::Women for Faith and Family
::National Shrine of the North American Martyrs in Auriesville, NY
::Martyrs' Shrine in Ontario, Canada
::JPII's address on his visit to the shrine
::Catholic Encyclopedia Jean de Brebeuf
::Patron Saints Index Jean
::Catholic Treasure Chest of Fun and Fact on Isaac and Jean
::Catholic Educators: Canadian Martyrs

Picture books: based on Huron Carol, text written in Huron language by Jean de Brebeuf:

Huron Carol illustrated by Frances Tyrrell

Huron Carol illustrated by Ian Wallace

Previous threads:
::Saint Books for North America
::North American Martyrs
::St. Anthony Daniel
::American Indians
::Early American Saints

My Blog post

Sport to play: Lacrosse -- based on an Indian game, Jean de Brebeuf changed the name to lacrosse because the stick looked like a bishop's crozier.

Music to sing: Huron Carol or 'Twas in the Moon of Wintertime

Food to eat:
Huron Indian food: corn, squash beans -- cornbread
More (gruesome) food would be considering the kind of sufferings the saints endured.

St. Isaac Jogues -- some kind of "finger food", ladyfingers, Catholic Cuisine has a few "finger" recipes.

For All Souls Day there are many recipes for "bone" type foods, sugar skulls. Father Jean's skull is a relic on display.

Father Jean also died through fire, knives, and his heart was eaten after he died. Heart shaped foods would recall this.

Coloring Pages:

North American Martyrs

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Oct 19 2011 at 7:58pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Thanks, Jenn. That is a great compilation for this feast day!

JennGM wrote:

Sport to play: Lacrosse -- based on an Indian game, Jean de Brebeuf changed the name to lacrosse because the stick looked like a bishop's crozier.

That is a cool fact - never knew that.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 01 2012 at 4:36pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Bumping this for October! Such a rich month: Month dedicated to the Rosary, Respect Life month.

Today is the Memorial of St. Therese of Lisieux.

There is a free coloring book download today from Glory Stories.

Cay reviewed a new book Little Therese by Margaret Mary Myers.

Our new picture book for St. Therese is one printed by Magnificat/Ignatius, which was originally printed in French:

Therese: The Little Flower of Lisieux by Sioux Berg, illustrated by Elvine.

The text is good, not overly syrupy sweet and really gives a picture of the Little Flower, capturing key moments in her life and summarizing her Little Way by word and example in the book. The book isn't overly long, but might take more than one sitting.

I don't know if it's the translation, but there are some paragraphs that have combined ideas, and seem to lose something, but it's okay. There are also a few quotes that use a little more complicated vocabulary.

The illustrations are good, but not great. IMHO they are very close to feeling "cartoonish" which is not my favorite. But I really, really like "The Life of a Saint" series that Magnificat is doing, and hope for more! (I mentioned St. John Vianney's book here)

And don't forget Catholic Children's Treasure Box has St. Therese's story in Volumes 1-6, including how to make sacrifice/Good Deed beads. See also Little Ways for printable instructions.

For adult reading I reviewed a recent book The Way of Trust and Love by Jacques Philippe. Simply wonderful!

And I can't remember if MaryM put these in this thread or not, but three issues of Treasure Chest of Fun and Fact

The Two Teresas Saints

The Story of a Soul Part One

The Story of a Soul Part Two

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 22 2012 at 8:05am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

October 22: Memorial of John Paul II

This year it is only celebrated in Rome and Poland, but tremendous news that in the US it is being added as an Optional Memorial!!!

See Catholic Culture News Story.

Liturgical Prayers and Readings from USCCB here.

What I can't ascertain from the story is it effective this year, or next year?

I'm just very excited!

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 30 2013 at 8:54am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Bumping the thread for October. I tried to update some broken links throughout the thread. Let one of the mods know if there are any that we could fix. It's nice to have these monthly liturgical resources!

I just updated my coloring pages for the rosary, so they look cleaner and nicer. You can find them here: http://familyfeastandferia.wordpress.com/lityear/printables/ rosary-coloring-pages/. I updated the address in the thread above, too.

Mary MacArthur has Luminous (and Glorious) mysteries for sale. The Luminous were made to match the style of the ones by Fattori on my site. See Rosary Coloring Pages.

Charlotte has several pages for the month of October,:
Oct. 1 St. Therese as a child and in habit
Oct. 2 Guardian Angel
Oct. 4 St. Francis of Assisi
Oct. 6 St. Bruno
Oct. 7 Our Lady of the Rosary
Oct. 13 St. Edward the Confessor
Oct. 15 St. Teresa of Avila
Oct. 16 St. Margaret Mary
Oct. 18 St. Luke
Oct. 23 St. John of Capistrano

But I wanted to mention again a lifesaver of a resource is Mary MacArthur's Liturgical Calendar Coloring Book. There are over 200 pages for the whole year, all arranged monthly, for $29. It's a really good deal and a timesaver to have them all organized and ready to print at the beginning of the month. I use the Proclick Binder to make a booklet, and add to it along the year. I laminated some covers to keep it intact, and I have one for each boy.

A positive outcome of this set-up is that my sons are looking ahead at the month, and they are getting a feel of the saints and feasts ahead. It's not just me scrambling for the day to celebrate, but they are looking ahead and pondering the saints and seeing a larger vision and also planning ideas for the family.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 3
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version