Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: North American Martyrs Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Sarah
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 07 2006 at 7:32pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah

We're going through the 1600's in Canada right now.

Anyone have any ideas/resources about the North American Martyrs?

Has anyone been to their shrine in Ontario?

Shrine

Back to Top View Sarah's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 07 2006 at 7:49pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

YES! It's an awesome site! We had so much fun touring the Kateri Tekakwitha and the Isaac Jogues and companions site about 7 years ago -- Thomas was a baby and Joe and Cate were old enough to still tell stories of the extremely scary storm that followed us the whole way to the shrine!

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

kingvozzo
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 07 2006 at 8:44pm | IP Logged Quote kingvozzo

I haven't been to the shrine in Canada, but have visited this one in Auriesville, NY.   Absolutely wonderful.
Also, the Daughters of St. Paul have a book about St. Isaac Jogues in their Encounter the Saints series.

Back to Top View kingvozzo's Profile Search for other posts by kingvozzo

Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 07 2006 at 10:25pm | IP Logged Quote Natalia

We are reading the book about St Isaac Jogues from the Vision books series. It is very well done.

Natalia
Back to Top View Natalia's Profile Search for other posts by Natalia

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Feb 07 2006 at 11:16pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

There are some good suggestions in this thread on St. Anthony Daniel - one of the North American martyrs. I'll second my earlier recommendation for the book Saints of North America.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Sarah
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 08 2006 at 9:11am | IP Logged Quote Sarah

Thanks all!

I so want to go to the shrine. Everyone once in a while, don't you feel drawn toward a certain saint or devotion. I'm having that with these saints!

Mary G., I'm sure there was a force that wanted to intimidate you and your family on your pilgrimage. Think of Fatima and the awful rains the people endured on that Oct. 13th!

I saw on the website that June 26th marks the 80th anniversary of when the shrine was established. Wouldn't it be neat to go. . .

I also saw that if you say the novena coming up March 12-20your intentions are placed at the martyrs relics. Wow! I'm going to enroll our family as members for $15 this year. I love being Catholic!

Jen L.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 08 2006 at 9:59am | IP Logged Quote Jen L.

I don't want to hi-jack this thread, but I just wanted to tell you that there is a beautiful shrine to St. Anne in Quebec (where my grandparents are from). St. Anne de Beaupre. There are at least 2 pillars inside entirely covered with crutches that were left there by people who were physically healed. Wonderful!

Back to Top View Jen L.'s Profile Search for other posts by Jen L.

Sarah
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 08 2006 at 11:26am | IP Logged Quote Sarah

Wow! Jen, thanks. My husband and I were talking last night about all these Catholic treasures right here on our own continent that we never knew about. . .and here's another. I've never heard of her.

Oh, if only it was easier to travel with infants/toddlers. Maybe someday. . .

Sarah
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 08 2006 at 11:31am | IP Logged Quote Sarah

Okay, I'm dumb . . .I just realized after going through the St. Anne site you supplied that its good St. Anne, the mother of Mary. . .am I right? Still, I can't believe how beautiful the church is. What a neat place.

I do everything on the computer juggling my 6mo. baby and its like holding a monkey. . .I have trouble concentrating

Jen L.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 08 2006 at 12:34pm | IP Logged Quote Jen L.

Don't apologize, Sarah -- I certainly didn't make it clear. Yes, it's St. Anne, the mother of Mary.

(You just reminded me of when I used to nurse my youngest while online -- am I addicted, or what? )

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Feb 08 2006 at 6:22pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

This is a book not about the North American martyrs, but does cover the time frame of Canadian history you are studying (1600s). It is a book I have not yet read but was recommended to me by the librarian at our archdiocesan library. It is Lydia Longley, the First American Nun by Helen A. McCarthy. It is one of the original Vision Books, but isn't in the listing of those reprinted by Ignatius Press, so I do believe it is OOP. Lydia was a young Protestant settler in New England. Most of her family was killed by Indians during a raid. She and several siblings were captured and taken to Canda. She was "ransomed" by a French Catholic in Canada. She learned the faith and converted to Catholicism and also joined a congregation of nuns in Canada. I hate the stories where the families are killed and the children taken captive so don't know what age this would be appropriate for. It really is sad, but it was a very harsh time in our history. I'm hoping to get it soon and read it to see.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Jen L.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 08 2006 at 11:43pm | IP Logged Quote Jen L.

You probably know about this one, but just in case
Madeleine takes Command

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version