Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: October Liturgical Planning thread Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 05 2009 at 4:40pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

aussieannie wrote:
Found this 4 Real thread: St Gerard feast day ideas?

What about putting together some sort of gift for pregnant mothers in your life? It could be as simple as a holy card with homemade ginger snaps or a whole gift basket with stuff like really good pickles and ice cream.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

Mimip
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 06 2009 at 9:01pm | IP Logged Quote Mimip

Thank you so much for posting about Our Lady of Pilar. That is my feast day since my middle name is Pilar. I was born in Zaragoza, Spain and baptized in the Basilica.

Very special day for me!

Back to Top View Mimip's Profile Search for other posts by Mimip

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 08 2009 at 11:24pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

So glad this is special to you Mimi, what a lovely connection you have to this beautiful title of Our Lady!

I wanted to also link here Helen's Saintly Supplements

Helen has written a series of children's meditation on Our Lady of Fatima (this would be suitable to do around the time of the 13th of October)

Also Helen has done a series on St Margaret Mary and the Sacred Heart, so that would be appropriate around the time of 16th of October, St Margaret Mary's feast day.

Both of these series are in the link above.

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

Susana
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 10 2009 at 4:51pm | IP Logged Quote Susana

Any St. Jude coloring pages or Immaculate Heart coloring pages for the feast of St. Anthony Mary Claret?

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 11 2009 at 11:47pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

Here is our Our Lady of the Pillar craft and cake

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Oct 12 2009 at 12:48am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

aussieannie wrote:
Here is our Our Lady of the Pillar craft and cake

Really nice, Anne! We didn't tackle a cake, but I did design a OLo the Pillar craft that is very similar to yours . I used a toilet paper roll, covered with crumpled aluminum foil for texture. Downloaded an image of Our Lady of the Pillar. Used a small doilie which was spray painted gold and glued that behind her crown. Added some jewels to the crown and gold halo. I don't have a background - will have to add that later today - thanks! I'll see if I can post a picture of ours later.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 12 2009 at 12:53am | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

Foil!! I was racking my brains this morning trying to work out how to create the silver textured covering and I thought to myself that next year when I have more time, resources on hand etc that I would re-do the pillar to look more like the original...I was thinking of ALL SORTS of things this morning except the one thing that was in our house - foil!!

And a golden doilie..I did have some of them last year and wouldn't know where to put my hands on them, but that would look so nice..I really look forward to your photos if you can get them up Mary!

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 12 2009 at 7:05pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

Our Miracle of the Sun craft for the October 13th Fatima day.

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Oct 04 2010 at 5:39pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I'm bumping this October Liturgical planning thread again as I missed the first bump.

Our Lady of the Rosary - October 7

Here's a list of those books I know of that have something in them of Our Lady of the Rosary.

Books for Our Lady of the Rosary/Battle of Lepanto/context of the Battle

** Lepanto by G. K. Chesterton - see audio version linked earlier in this thread.
** Saints for Young Readers - Volume 2
** The Blood Red Crescent by Henry Garnett - historical fiction, 14yo who joins the Christian fleet at the Battle of Lepanto, told from young boy's point of view.
** The Last Crusader: A Novel about Don Juan of Austria by Louis de Wohl - In Lepanto, Chesterton calls Don Juan, "the last knight of Europe," Don Juan of Austria was the commander of the naval fleet for the battle of Lepanto.
** Knights Besieged by Nancy Faulkner (oop), I hope to have this book in my hands soon...this book is about the Knights of Malta, or Hospitallers of the Island of Malta. It was originally published in 1964 as part of the Clarion Books series. You can read more about the Knights at New Advent:
New Advent wrote:
The Knights of Malta"...formed a valuable contingent during the great expeditions of Charles V against Tunis and Algiers and at the memorable victory of Lepanto."

** An Army in Battle Array by Mary Jean Dorcy (oop) - the section on Pope Pius V (the pope that called for all of Christendom to pray the Rosary for victory during the Battle of Lepanto. More at New Advent on Pope St. Pius V.
** No Place for Defeat - The Life of St. Pius V by the Daughters of St. Paul (oop)
** St. Joseph Book of Saints, Part 6 by Father Lovasik has a section for Pope St. Pius V.

Other ideas for the Feast

** Design a Coat of Arms for Our Lady of the Holy Rosary since we are still fighting under her banner today.
** Mentioned above, I believe, but there is an activity for Our Lady of the Rosary in Mondays With Mary, p. 78
** My boys have created a small battle scene under a statue of Our Lady with the Rosary on our Family Feast Table. They hope to make some ships this week to add to their display representing the battle scene at Lepanto either using clay or papier mache. (Here is a papier mache narrowboat that has given us some ideas...ours will need to be scaled down with some different naval architecture to represent a carrack or nau, the sailing vessel of the Christians in the Battle of Lepanto.

Any other ideas welcome!

Also, I'd love any other book ideas, particularly any you might have for younger children that have to do with Our Lady of the Rosary!!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Oct 05 2010 at 12:18am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Mackfam wrote:

Also, I'd love any other book ideas, particularly any you might have for younger children that have to do with Our Lady of the Rosary!!

Have you checked the Treasure Chest of Facts & Fun? There is a two page spread on OLoR - The Rosary which mentions Lepanto in a couple frames and also a three page one, just on the Battle of Lepanto. There are several other Rosary related stories in other issues (St. Dominic & the Rosary, message of Fatima, mysteries).

It's not about Our Lady of the Rosary, but have you seen the picture book - Life of Jesus: An Illustrated Rosary - Mary Billingsley? It would be a good one for this month for the younger children.

Thanks for all the great resources on OLoR, Jen!

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Oct 05 2010 at 4:18pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

MaryM wrote:

Have you checked the Treasure Chest of Facts & Fun? There is a two page spread on OLoR - The Rosary which mentions Lepanto in a couple frames and also a three page one, just on the Battle of Lepanto. There are several other Rosary related stories in other issues (St. Dominic & the Rosary, message of Fatima, mysteries).

I had the Treasure Chest of Facts and Fun open and had hoped to go through it bookmarking pertinent stories later today or tomorrow...and you saved me the trouble! Thank you!!! These are so great! How I wish someone would reprint these!

MaryM wrote:
It's not about Our Lady of the Rosary, but have you seen the picture book - Life of Jesus: An Illustrated Rosary - Mary Billingsley? It would be a good one for this month for the younger children.

WONDERFUL! Adding this one to my list!

I was thinking we might work on a vellum stained glass rosary for our windows. I was inspired by something similar shared by Alice on an old thread. I need to check on my stash of vellum.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 05 2010 at 5:15pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Great lists, Jen and Mary! I don’t have much to add.

Mackfarm wrote:
** An Army in Battle Array by Mary Jean Dorcy (oop) - the section on Pope Pius V (the pope that called for all of Christendom to pray the Rosary for victory during the Battle of Lepanto. More at New Advent on Pope St. Pius V.

I panicked when I first read this. How did I miss this book by Sister Mary Jean Dorcy, my favorite author and illustrator? But I think I have it in another form. I think this is the same book reprinted by TAN, called St. Dominic’s Family: Lives of Over 300 Famous Dominicans. It’s a very large book, over 600 pages, so that would explain the hefty price tag, both in and out of print. I’d prefer to have the old version, but I’ll try to be satisfied with a paperback reprint.

There is also volume 37 in the OOP Crusade Magazine by the Maryknoll Sisters. This is the “Adventures from Our Catholic Heritage” which includes the Battle of Lepanto. Lovely illustrations. These are hard to find, but worth every penny.

And I thought I’d add some coloring pages.

I have loved the Father Francis coloring books, which are more catechetical and interesting reading with a coloring page as an extra bonus, but even if you aren’t coloring, the pictures and text are very nice. These are most of them, including one of the Holy Rosary.

I have coloring pages for the 15 decades and St. John’s Church has all 20 decades.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 06 2010 at 9:05pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I stumbled upon another resource for the rosary and Battle of Lepanto. I had pulled this book to use this year and as I was thumbing through found an entry.

I haven't seen the newer version, so I don't know if it's exactly the same. Perhaps writing to the Sisters can clarify.

The book is Journeys with Mary by Zerlina de Santis, by the Daughters of St. Paul or Pauline books. My version is the old Encounter series, copyright 1981. The section is "Our Lady of the Rosary" which starts with St. Dominic and goes to the Battle of Lepanto.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Lacy
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 07 2010 at 11:00am | IP Logged Quote Lacy

I just posted a Fatima Craft on Catholic Icing today and my kids have really enjoyed this one!

Miracle of the Sun Spinner Craft

October is so full of fabulous feast days! It's gunna be a fun month!

Oh, and Annie- my daughter's preschool class is going to be doing your Fatima craft next week! Thanks for sharing it with all of us!

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 07 2010 at 3:00pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

Mackfam wrote:

Our Lady of the Rosary - October 7

Other ideas for the Feast

** Design a Coat of Arms for Our Lady of the Holy Rosary since we are still fighting under her banner today.

Yes! We're making a banner today with the Marian Banner Kit from Illuminated Ink. It's simple (everything is pre-cut) and beautiful. Plus it arrived this morning so it was perfect timing!

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

joann10
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 13 2010 at 8:48pm | IP Logged Quote joann10

Lacy wrote:
I just posted a Fatima Craft on Catholic Icing today and my kids have really enjoyed this one!

Miracle of the Sun Spinner Craft

We made the Miracle of the Sun spinner craft
from the Catholic Icing site today.

Thanks so much for the idea, Lacy!! The kids love them!!
Back to Top View joann10's Profile Search for other posts by joann10

asplendidtime
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 14 2010 at 1:52pm | IP Logged Quote asplendidtime

We made them too! Such fun! Thank you! Joann, your video is great! :)

http://notwithoutlove.wordpress.com/2010/10/14/miracle-of-th e-sun-feast-oct-13th/

Mary 14,
Tim 13,
Jonah 12,
Josh 10,
Zoe 9,
Will 7,
Peter 6,
Laura-Mae 4,
Emily-Joy 2,
Genevieve & Gabriella 1
Back to Top View asplendidtime's Profile Search for other posts by asplendidtime Visit asplendidtime's Homepage

Lacy
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 14 2010 at 3:13pm | IP Logged Quote Lacy

I love the links where you guys made the sun spinners! Thanks so much for taking the time to share them here! It makes my day to see my craft ideas in action.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 19 2010 at 2:59pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

October 19th (today) is the Memorial of Sts. Isaac Jogues and John de Brebeuf, priests and martyrs and companions, martyrs in the United States.

Picture books to read (sing) today:

The Huron Carol illustrated by Frances Tyrrell

and/or

The Huron Carol illustrated by Ian Wallace.

And these books will do double duty for Christmas time.

There are numerous sites with the sheet music and mp3 or midi files. Search for "The Huron Carol" and/or "Twas in the Moon of Wintertime".

Jenifleur
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Oct 20 2010 at 12:14am | IP Logged Quote Jenifleur

Where is the link to the sun spinners, Lacy? (Hi - by the way recruiter ) I need to mark this thread a favorite - so many lovely things to make!
Back to Top View Jenifleur's Profile Search for other posts by Jenifleur Visit Jenifleur's Homepage

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version