Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Language Arts Come Alive
 4Real Forums : Language Arts Come Alive
Subject Topic: Progymnasmata/Write Guide/Brave Writer Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
cfa83
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 23 2007 at 12:35am | IP Logged Quote cfa83

Can any comment on these? Are there old threads anyone remembers concerning these? Trying to decide for a dd who loves to write.
Back to Top View cfa83's Profile Search for other posts by cfa83

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 23 2007 at 7:13am | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

There are many old threads on these. No time to link this morning, off to the Tropical Gardens but click the SEARCH button in the upper right corner and have fun reading!

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

~Rachel~
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 23 2007 at 12:44pm | IP Logged Quote ~Rachel~

We just started with Classical Writing... it is very good

Lighting a Fire
Back to Top View ~Rachel~'s Profile Search for other posts by ~Rachel~ Visit ~Rachel~'s Homepage

~Rachel~
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 23 2007 at 12:55pm | IP Logged Quote ~Rachel~

OOps... double post! I'll add a link then!
Classical Writing

Lighting a Fire
Back to Top View ~Rachel~'s Profile Search for other posts by ~Rachel~ Visit ~Rachel~'s Homepage

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 23 2007 at 1:25pm | IP Logged Quote Willa

I love Classical Writing.

I know a lot of threads have happened on Bravewriter and the Progym but I can't get the search function working on my computer right now.

What are your goals for writing? I use the progym alongside a lot of informal writing -- once my kids like to narrate and write stories, the progym gives me a sequence to follow that seems developmentally appropriate.   

I don't think I would use it with a kid who wasn't already thinking of herself or himself as a writer, because in my experience formal writing programs can narrow a kids' writing abilities and sometimes turn him or her off writing altogether.   And to me, the writing mentality is of fundamental importance, more so than a toolbox of skills (which I do think the progym helps provide, to me in a wider and more liberal-arts manner than most formal writing programs).

I don't have Bravewriter (too much $$$ and too much like what we already do after 15 years of trial and error) but I think the principles are excellent and sound.

Take Up and Read
Back to Top View Willa's Profile Search for other posts by Willa

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 23 2007 at 1:31pm | IP Logged Quote Willa

Oh, here we go:

Bravewriter
more BW links

Questions about writing programs

Classical Writing

Take Up and Read

cfa83
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 23 2007 at 11:15pm | IP Logged Quote cfa83

My 14 dd has a passion for writing. We have not used a formal program for writing. She writes, writes and writes some more. She has been working on a number of stories. I am looking for something to take her through college and in professional writing if she chooses. I know each of these programs are complete for college level. It's just hard to pick one!

I understand Progym. digs deeper into each level of writing. Is that correct? Ultimately she would like to be published. Writing is so natural to her. It truly is her passion.

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 24 2007 at 7:25am | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

If writing is her passion, she enjoys it and is a prolific writer already I think she may be beyond BraveWriter which is set up to encourage reluctant writers, imo. Not that the ideas couldn't be used with a passionate writer but the concept does appear to be encourgaement for reluctant writers.

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 24 2007 at 7:43am | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

marihalojen wrote:
If writing is her passion, she enjoys it and is a prolific writer already I think she may be beyond BraveWriter which is set up to encourage reluctant writers, imo. Not that the ideas couldn't be used with a passionate writer but the concept does appear to be encourgaement for reluctant writers.

I agree. We LOVE Bravewriter, but, as the name implies, much of it is about drawing out and encouraging the reluctant writer,and finding the writers voice. Since your dd is beyond that stage she might not get a lot from that program.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

cfa83
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 24 2007 at 3:58pm | IP Logged Quote cfa83

Thanks for the responses. That info. helped me rule out Brave Writer. Narrow, narrow, narrow search...yea! For those who use Classical Writing: do you know what the differences between the Progym and CW?

~Rachel~
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 24 2007 at 4:18pm | IP Logged Quote ~Rachel~

CW is based on the progym... they structured it after one of the models online somewhere... they dont have ALL the sections up yet, but they are working on it.
Believe it or not, the kids love it

Lighting a Fire

cfa83
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 24 2007 at 11:32pm | IP Logged Quote cfa83

Hopefully one last question , is CW comparable to Regina Coeli's program (as far as depth)?

cfa83
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 24 2007 at 11:35pm | IP Logged Quote cfa83

Thank you Willa for the links! I'm looking forward to reading them.

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 25 2007 at 7:31am | IP Logged Quote Willa

cfa83 wrote:
Thanks for the responses. That info. helped me rule out Brave Writer. Narrow, narrow, narrow search...yea! For those who use Classical Writing: do you know what the differences between the Progym and CW?

CW is based on the progym -- they have only published up to the third or fourth level so far, so that's a drawback since your daughter sounds like an advanced writer.

Here's another past thread about the progym in general

Here's a thread about ISLAS and Regina Coeli-- only mentions the progym briefly but perhaps will be helpful for general background.

This online writing assessment program uses the progym -- I have heard it mentioned on a classical elist I'm on but don't remember hearing much about peoples' experiences with it.   But anyway, I thought I'd mention it.

Take Up and Read

cfa83
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 03 2007 at 9:28am | IP Logged Quote cfa83

Brave Writer still sounds good for all my kiddos. My dd wrote a question on the main board concerning literature recommendations.

I *still* haven't decided on which writing program to use.

Has anyone used writing programs and then switched to a progymnasmata program?

vmalott
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 17 2007 at 8:56am | IP Logged Quote vmalott

Rather than start a new thread here, I thought I'd post my question in this one, since this is where I was looking for a possible answer.

I'll start out by saying, I'm not interested in a full-fledged pricey writing program. I really just would like something basic. I can't commit to the cost of IEW or Bravewriter. I have already given Classical Writing a try, and now realize that I don't want/need the spelling/grammar portion of that program. I don't really want to go whole hog with the progym either.

That said, I am curious if anyone here has used the Imitation in Writing books available through the Logos School. I think these are available through IEW also, though I don't know if they are required materials.

Anyway, I like what I've seen of the Greek Myths and Greek Heroes samples...just would like to hear some feedback if anyone has used them.

Thanks,
Valerie

Back to Top View vmalott's Profile Search for other posts by vmalott Visit vmalott's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version