Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Language Arts Come Alive
 4Real Forums : Language Arts Come Alive
Subject Topic: Writing Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 31 2007 at 6:10am | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

I have not yet found a writing program that I like - next year I will have a sixth grader and two third graders. Has anyone got any opinions on the following:

- IEW
- Writers Jungle/Bravewriter Arrow etc
- Lingua Mater
- Stories with a View
- Writeshop

Thanks.

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

Molly Smith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 31 2007 at 6:26am | IP Logged Quote Molly Smith

Thanks for asking this question, Marilyn. Next year I'll also have a sixth grader, and a fourth and second who really meet in the middle and work together. We've largely ignored any formal writing...and it shows .

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 31 2007 at 7:05am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

Well, FWIW, my ds who has always had a distaste for writing, loves IEW. It is rather expensive and pretty intensive as far as time goes (IMHO) but it's the only thing I've tried that he actually takes to. I think it's because he thinks the man (I can't remember his name) on the DVD is funny and my ds seems motivated by him. I don't know if my dd will like IEW when she gets a little older or not. I think she is more of a Lingua Mater kinda kid but she's a little young yet (2nd grade). It sure would be nice, and less expensive, if I could find something that they all will like, but they are all so very different!

Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

Carole N.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 31 2007 at 8:26am | IP Logged Quote Carole N.

I started using Writeshop this year. I had been using IEW in a group situation before and since I did not own the materials, I was looking for a program. A friend recommended it to me.

It is a very structured program. You decide how quickly you will proceed through it. We do one lesson every two weeks (or at least we try to). It sets up for the entire writing process--from brainstorming right to the final draft. That is one of the features that I like about it, its emphasis on the process.

The children's notebooks have all the materials necessary--brainstorming pages, checklists. The teachers notebook contains a lot of material and it takes a bit to get used to the organization. But I guess everyone organizes differently.

We used Lingua Mater last year, and I really loved it. But my children were struggling a bit with some of the concepts. It is a bit less structured than Writeshop. The reason that I selected Writeshop is for the structure. It is very clear what you are to include in each writing assignment, there is a checklist, and the teacher reviews with the child at each step of the process. This is not as clear cut in Lingua Mater (at least not to me).

I do hope to go back to Lingua Mater in the future, but I thought that I needed to make the whole process clear to my dc. I used to teach journalism and English at the hs level, but it was a real struggle to teach it to my dc.

I hope this helps you make a decision.

ElizLeone
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 31 2007 at 8:34am | IP Logged Quote ElizLeone

We just began using IEW a couple months ago, so my experience with the program is quite limited. However, I like what I see so far. My 10-year-old and 8-year-old girls do it together, and you should hear them giggling when Andrew, the DVD teacher, does his instruction. He is a funny guy and they are well-entertained. So far, we've been using the DVD only every week or two. In between DVD lesson viewings, they do exercises which, so far, consist of taking notes from a written paragraph and using those key word notes to rewrite a similar --sometimes embellished-- paragraph. From what I can see so far, it is well done and effective. It came highly recommended to me by two other homeschool families who are sold on it. Without their endorsement, I would have been afraid to invest in the program, as it is a bit pricey.

I also like Wordsmith Apprentice series from Wordshop.

We tried Writing Strands in the past and did not care for it at all.

Hope this helps!

Munchkins on the Path
Our Adoption
Back to Top View ElizLeone's Profile Search for other posts by ElizLeone Visit ElizLeone's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 31 2007 at 5:37pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

LOVE Writers Jungle/Bravewriter. We had quite a long thread on it awhile back. I will see if I can dig it up.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 01 2007 at 9:23pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Thanks for the suggestions - I need to find someone local who uses the programs and look at them. IEW and Writers Jungle are big budget items - so I need to be sure they are suitable.

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

kjohnson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 01 2007 at 10:21pm | IP Logged Quote kjohnson

I've struggled with IEW because it's hard for me to come up with writing models for multiple kids. And I just couldn't figure out Writers Jungle logistically. (Wanna buy mine? I'll cut ya a deal? )

I'm reading The Latin-Centered Curriculum right now for some fresh ideas and ordered this tonight:

Classical Writing

I can't formally recommend it just yet, but it looks very interesting.

Back to Top View kjohnson's Profile Search for other posts by kjohnson

mariB
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 05 2007 at 5:34am | IP Logged Quote mariB

Katherine,

With the way you write, we would love to hear your suggestions! I know you are doing a handwriting or copywork series which looks lovely.

Back to Top View mariB's Profile Search for other posts by mariB Visit mariB's Homepage

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 05 2007 at 7:55am | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

We're using Jensen's Format Writing for Grade 9. (It was recommended in CHC's High School of Your Dreams.) It is really perfect for my son. We are taking it very slowly, and will probably do half the book this year and half next. It focuses on writing various kinds of paragraphs and then the five-paragraph essay.

I really like Bravewriter, too (we used that last year) but my son just, well, didn't. He's a non-fiction, no-shades-of-grey kind of guy.

He doesn't like writing much at all, but his writing has really, really improved this year. I'm sure it's the Format Writing exercises. IMHO, this book would be perfect for high school, perhaps for grade 8. It's probably a little too dry for younger students.

Hope this helps.

Carole N.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 05 2007 at 8:56am | IP Logged Quote Carole N.

Nancy, thanks for that information. I also have that book, but have yet to (gulp) open it. My dc are 8th and 6th grade level, and writing is the one item I really struggle with (you'd think it would be easy since I used to be a tech writer and a journalism teacher).

I second Marianne on hearing what Katherine has to say. She writes so beautifully.

fsuadamson
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 09 2007 at 11:40am | IP Logged Quote fsuadamson

I have to second Theresa. We absolutely *love* the Bravewriter program. We used many of the arrow list books last year before reading and using the ideas from her book "The Writers Jungle".

In my personal experience and opinion, I found this program compared to many of the others out there on the market i.e. write source, IEW, etc) more user friendly and just takes on a much more *natural* approach to the process of writing. I think it compliments Elizabeth's section in her book (Real Learning) beautifully!!

If anyone is interested I just wrote up several postings on my blog in regards to my new found appreciation and discoveries on this writing program.

Back to Top View fsuadamson's Profile Search for other posts by fsuadamson Visit fsuadamson's Homepage

TracyQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 09 2007 at 5:38pm | IP Logged Quote TracyQ

My boys have done the best writing with three resources so far.....the Wordsmith series (Wordsmith Apprentice, etc.), IEW, and now Format Writing (during High School) which has been an excellent resource for us).

Our 6th grade daughter likes IEW, and I think we'll continue with that for her. I may have her do Wordsmith Apprentice as well, and some Lingua Mater. I have them all!

Our oldest is in 11th grade, and is on chapter 22 of the novel he's been writing all year. He loves writing, and his essay writing has improved tremendously! Wordsmith Apprentice, I think has been our very favorite thus far.

Hope this helps!   

homeschooling in 15th year in Buffalo, NY
Back to Top View TracyQ's Profile Search for other posts by TracyQ

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 04 2007 at 9:13pm | IP Logged Quote Karen T

MarilynW wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions - I need to find someone local who uses the programs and look at them. IEW and Writers Jungle are big budget items - so I need to be sure they are suitable.

I *think* IEW comes with a money-back guarantee. you can order it and try it and send it back (check the website or call one of the reps and ask but I think that is their policy)
also, one thing that sold me on IEW is that it can be re-sold for almost full price. There are two yahoo lists for IEW - one for users and one for people selling/buying used sets and they always go quickly. I tried to get a used one but kept missing out so finally bought mine new. If you do buy it used, you can buy the student notebook separately and there are also lots of downloadable files for extra help. I think there is a link to the yahoo group on IEW's website.
Karen T
Back to Top View Karen T's Profile Search for other posts by Karen T

BrendaPeter
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 05 2007 at 8:40am | IP Logged Quote BrendaPeter

kjohnson wrote:

I'm reading The Latin-Centered Curriculum right now for some fresh ideas and ordered this tonight:

Classical Writing

I can't formally recommend it just yet, but it looks very interesting.

I'm not sure which one you bought Katherine but I would have sold you Aesop B used but in perfect condition!!!! It's a great program just decided to go with Seton's reading/writing course. I needed something that didn't involve mom quite as much.

Brenda (mom to 6)
Back to Top View BrendaPeter's Profile Search for other posts by BrendaPeter

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 10 2007 at 6:32am | IP Logged Quote Erin

ElizLeone wrote:

Elizabeth,
What didn't you like about Writing Strands?

Katherine,
I would also be interested in what you think of the Classical Writing

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

ElizLeone
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 10 2007 at 9:29am | IP Logged Quote ElizLeone

Erin wrote:
[QUOTE=ElizLeone]

Elizabeth,
What didn't you like about Writing Strands?

I think for me, the problem was that the author tried to talk directly to the students. However, the somewhat "jokey" tone didn't really work for them. I had to explain things, which is fine, but the approach seemed too distracting to me and to the kids. It seemed like we were always wading through the kind of funky directions to figure out what the author was getting at. I think I just prefer a more clean, direct approach in terms of directions and layout. My experience was with level 3 and one other... I'm trying to remember now if that was level 2 or level 4...

Munchkins on the Path
Our Adoption
Back to Top View ElizLeone's Profile Search for other posts by ElizLeone Visit ElizLeone's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 11 2007 at 1:06am | IP Logged Quote Erin

Thanks for that Elizabeth, that helps alot. I'm not a funky person either.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

ALmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 11 2007 at 8:33pm | IP Logged Quote ALmom

I just put together plans for my 5th grader and 7th grader. Both have struggled with writing and IEW in co-op helped them but we don't have access to it this year and cannot afford to buy the expensive program now. What really impressed me were the Novel Inquiries. I think those explain just what needs to be done and seem to gently lead them with questions in terms of writing a good essay for content area. That will be our writing program next year - focusing on some of their favorite subjects for the actual content.

Janet
Back to Top View ALmom's Profile Search for other posts by ALmom

Rebecca
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 11 2007 at 8:58pm | IP Logged Quote Rebecca

Elizabeth,

We had the very same opinion of and experience with Writing Strands. It was very hard to follow because the author tried to joke around too much and in a confusing way. It was very distracting.

Back to Top View Rebecca's Profile Search for other posts by Rebecca

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version