Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
High School Years and Beyond (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : High School Years and Beyond
Subject Topic: islas Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Liz D
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 23 2005 at 9:42pm | IP Logged Quote Liz D

Hi,

Has anyone used any of their online classes? I'm looking at the Henle Latin classes.

Thanks,

Liz

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 24 2005 at 12:40am | IP Logged Quote Kelly

Liz,
   I'm ignorant. What is islas (besides "islands" in Spanish )?
    My older children use Henle Latin, but not online. Henle is a little dry, but thorough.
    Kelly in FL
Back to Top View Kelly's Profile Search for other posts by Kelly

Anne Marie M
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 24 2005 at 12:15pm | IP Logged Quote Anne Marie M

Liz,

ISLAS (Institute for Study of the Liberal Arts and Sciences - www.islas.org) is fantastic! Over the last three years, my older four kids have done the following: Latin (Beginning Latin, Intermediate Latin, Advanced Latin Grammar, Latin III, AP Latin), Logic (Formal and Material), Chemistry, Church History, Aquinas in Latin, & Confirmation.

Confirmation is the only class I can't recommend - the instructor didn't make good use of the chat room format - the kids could have read the log. However, he did have the kids writing short papers frequently.

All the other classes have been great. The earlier Latin (BL, IL, ALG) all use Henle - there's some restructuring going on, so ALG is now Henle II, and ALG feeds into Henle III. We've had Linda Robinson for all the Latin except AP - she's fantastic and really motivates the kids. I'm (slowly) learning along with my kids. I figure that I may know a respectable amount by the time my sixth child finishes!

We haven't done any of the English courses, but I know families who highly recommend them.

The courses are well worth the money!

Let me know if you have any other specific questions -

Anne Marie
Back to Top View Anne Marie M's Profile Search for other posts by Anne Marie M

Liz D
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 24 2005 at 9:05pm | IP Logged Quote Liz D

Thank you, Anne Marie, I'm so glad to hear that. Iam wondering what they take after HenleIII for the third year of Latin. Is it Henle? I can't tell from the course descriptions I've seen.

Liz

Anne Marie M
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 25 2005 at 8:25am | IP Logged Quote Anne Marie M

Liz,

My two oldest took Latin III (with Wheelock's) and it feeds directly into AP Latin. I think that Henle III is designed to do the same - just using Henle instead of Wheelock. I have one doing Henle III this coming year -

Anne Marie

Liz D
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 25 2005 at 7:48pm | IP Logged Quote Liz D

Wonderful! That's the class my ds will be in this fall!
He's liked what he saw while observing Henle II last week. Thanks for the info.

Liz

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 28 2005 at 1:24am | IP Logged Quote Kelly

Has anyone enrolled their children in the Progymnnasmata? I remember seeing this discussed on a thread somewhere, but I'm ashamed to say I didn't even look at it (progymnaswhaaaaat?)

Any experience out there? It looks very interesting.

Kelly in FL

Anne Marie M
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 28 2005 at 8:57am | IP Logged Quote Anne Marie M

Kelly,

We tried it this year, but it wasn't a good match for my 9th grade daughter. She needs clear expectations and very clear constructive criticism (in terms of what needs to be redone), and she wasn't getting that. Most of the teaching came through comments on her writing - things like "don't use quotes in this case", which was frustrating because it seemed more a matter of personal preference than anything that had been taught (or that she should have learned earlier).

I think there are sample lessons at the ISLAS site. Also, I do know that it works for a lot of kids!

Hope this helps -

Anne Marie

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 28 2005 at 9:30pm | IP Logged Quote Kelly

Rats! I thought the progymnasmata looked so alluring! But lack of clear constructive criticism at that age would be critical, I think. Especially for my daughter, too. I'll scrutinize it a little further.

Have you tried any of the summer classes, like the Redwall or Middle Earth or Shakespeare classes? How about the Classical English Composition (is that what it was called??? The one that takes Progymnasmata and condenses it into a two year kind of thing for kids who are jumping into it later in the game?)Also, can you just do "a" class, or do you have to sign up for a whole semesters worth of classes? Last but not least, any info on the Biology class? I put that query on the Biology thread, so if you already answered it there, I"m on my way over to check (since we seem to be reading the same threads )

Thank you again for the insight. I'm sure I'll have more questions for you, poor thing.   Kelly

Anne Marie M
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 28 2005 at 9:47pm | IP Logged Quote Anne Marie M

Kelly,

The Progym program is such a hard thing to judge - some kids do really well with it.

We haven't done any summer classes, mainly because our schedule never works out. We also haven't done the Classical English Composition.

As far as just doing a single class, I think there's a requirement in place for new students (and a strong suggestion for continuing students) that students sign up for a "Content" course and a writing course. This was in an e-mail I got; I don't know if or where it's posted on the website.

I haven't seen the Biology post yet! I've spent more time this weekend on the forum than I have in weeks, but I didn't see that one. However, my son is finishing up Chemistry with the same teacher, and he says Dr. Christe McMenomy is a good teacher. He loves physics but isn't especially wild about chemistry -- but he's learned it in her class! And his lack of enthusiasm has nothing to do with the teacher. I'm impressed with the structure, the book chosen, and the overall course.

Good luck! I'll be interested to know what you decide -

Anne Marie

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 28 2005 at 9:52pm | IP Logged Quote Kelly

OK Anne Marie, here's another question for you, since you seem to have a lot of experience with the older kids. You mentioned that your dd was at U. of Dallas, did the islas classes count adequately as "credit" on her transcript. I know this whole question of "credit" is a nebulous thing...

Kelly in FL

Anne Marie M
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 28 2005 at 9:59pm | IP Logged Quote Anne Marie M

Kelly,

They were the easiest part of my transcript, because ISLAS is accredited and they sent UD a transcript for the courses my daughter took. I had to justify everything else.

What part of FL are you in? (JW) We went to Ft. Walton Beach several years ago - my husband was doing some work at the base there.

By for now! Time to get off the computer -

Anne Marie

Liz D
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 29 2005 at 9:33pm | IP Logged Quote Liz D

Anne Marie,
I'm confused about the course sequence for Latin. If Brian takes Henle III this coming fall at the end of the school year he'll have the equivalent fo two years of high school Latin under his belt, right? What comes next? We'd like him to get 3 years of the same foreign language. That's are understanding of what Virginia (instate colleges want.

Liz

Anne Marie M
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 29 2005 at 9:50pm | IP Logged Quote Anne Marie M

Liz,

I went back to http://www.reginacoeli.org/sequences/latinsequence.html for a refresher of the Latin sequence! We've done all sorts of combinations of the options. My oldest dd jumped in in the middle of Latin III and then did AP, my oldest ds started at the beginning of Latin III, the next two started in Beginning Latin (BL). One dd did Intermediate Latin (IL) on her own last summer and did Advanced Latin Grammar (what is now Henle II) this year. . . she will be in Henle III next year. One ds followed BL with IL this year and will be in Henle II next year. Confused yet?

I've handled credit like this: for the oldest two, since they placed into Latin III, I gave them two years credit and they got a third credit from Latin III. BL and IL are junior high courses, so I may give a half-credit for each (we've had a section on our transcripts for high school courses taken in jr. high - algebra, Latin, etc. The local public schools do this.) According to my reading of the course descriptions, the Henle courses are designed to be a full credit each (for Henle I, II, and III).

Another thing that muddies the waters is that the courses (Henle I, II, and III) all use the 1st year book. According to Linda Robinson, the book covers more than what would be considered a year of Latin today. Henle was thorough!

On the same page, it says that Henle III can be followed either by Latin III or by AP Latin. If you read the description of AP Latin, it looks like Henle III would be sufficient preparation (maybe unless you have a student who really needs more practice).

That was the long answer! The short answer is that if Brian completes Henle III, I think it should satisfy the requirements.

Does this help?

Anne Marie

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 29 2005 at 10:28pm | IP Logged Quote Kelly

Anne Marie,
    I forgot to ask if your children did the Asynchronous enrollment or participated in the weekly classes? Any insight?

Thanks for all the information and experience you've been sharing.

Kelly in FL

Anne Marie M
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 29 2005 at 11:23pm | IP Logged Quote Anne Marie M

Kelly,

The only time we did the asynchronous enrollment was when one child was doing IL on her own during the summer. I highly recommend the weekly classes - Linda Robinson does a great job of teaching the kids and pulling them into the discussion/translating. Plus, she divides the kids up into groups and each group works on a translation in their own chat room. Sounds weird, works great!

Have a great Memorial Day -

Anne Marie

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 06 2005 at 1:32am | IP Logged Quote Kelly

Another ISLAS question for you, Anne Marie. Have any of your children ever had Mrs. Fain for a teacher? Also, didn't you tell me one of your sons had Dr. Christe...my ds is signed up for her Biology class (it looks HARD!)---I really debated between that class and the Asynchronous Biology. Despite the disadvantage (in some ways) of the asynchronous class, I liked the Catholic content that the other teacher (Mrs. Harrison?) offered...but ds really wanted to take the class with the live component, so whatsapoissontado?

If you want to write me directly so I don't keep plaguing people with ISLAS discussion , my email is kkuerstein@aol.com.

Kelly in FL

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Aug 06 2005 at 5:43am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Please keep plaguing with questions, Kelly. You're providing all of us a file of information!

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

Anne Marie M
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 06 2005 at 3:51pm | IP Logged Quote Anne Marie M

Kelly,

My (then) 9th grade dd had Mrs. Fain for the Progym class – so the earlier discussion of Progym would directly relate to Mrs. Fain.

My (then) 11th grade ds had Dr. Christe for Chemistry. It was hard, but he really learned a lot. He really enjoyed the live class. You might consider doing Dr. Christe’s class and supplementing with the Catholic material that you want. Also, consider the level of science that you want. Apologia will cover a standard first-year biology syllabus. Dr. Christe generally uses a college level textbook, and her course can be used as preparation for an AP test. (My ds didn’t do the AP test because he didn’t feel prepared at the time – the test is early May and it wasn’t enough time for him to feel comfortable with the material. In all fairness, though, he was also focused on his science fair project and trying to get to ISEF. He may do the AP Chem test at the end of this year.)

Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions!

Anne Marie

BrendaPeter
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 06 2006 at 6:48am | IP Logged Quote BrendaPeter

Reviving an old one here.

Anyone (Kelly!) have any "experience" with ISLAS since this was last discussed?

Thx!

Brenda (mom to 6)
Back to Top View BrendaPeter's Profile Search for other posts by BrendaPeter

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version