Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
High School Years and Beyond
 4Real Forums : High School Years and Beyond
Subject Topic: islas Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Anne Marie M
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 06 2006 at 7:31am | IP Logged Quote Anne Marie M

Brenda,

I can't really reply now - I leave for the airport for the International Science & Engineering Fair in an hour. There have been some huge organizational changes: Regina Coeli and Scholars Online have split amicably. Let me know what specific questions you have; I will probably have some computer time while I'm at ISEF.

Anne Marie
Back to Top View Anne Marie M's Profile Search for other posts by Anne Marie M

BrendaPeter
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 06 2006 at 1:14pm | IP Logged Quote BrendaPeter

Hi Anne Marie,

You really are the ISLAS pro! How have things been since the split?

I'm considering the Agnus Dei Summer Progymnasmaton program (with Mrs. Fain) for my ds. The content looks incredible! Any comments appreciated.

Brenda (mom to 6)
Back to Top View BrendaPeter's Profile Search for other posts by BrendaPeter

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 07 2006 at 12:04am | IP Logged Quote Kelly

Anne Marie IS the pro, and what a help she was for me in navigating the intricacies of islas! As we approach the end of our first year with islas, I have to say it was all Anne Marie said, and more. We were very, very happy with the classes. My dc took Biology, World Literature, Confirmation, Latin I, Latin II, Progym and Meaning of Myth. They were all very good classes. My only criticism would be---and it's a small one---is that it is sometimes hard to get feedback from some of the teachers in a timely fashion. However, I suspect that is part of the online challenge, and on the whole, RCA was extremely organized. We are planning to take another spate of classes next year (including the summer progym-I think progym clicks with some and doesn't click with others, but it was a great fit for my dd).

Anne Marie, are you all taking any classes there next year???

Kelly in FL
Back to Top View Kelly's Profile Search for other posts by Kelly

BrendaPeter
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 07 2006 at 7:57pm | IP Logged Quote BrendaPeter

Hi Kelly,

Thanks so much for the info! I feel so ill-prepared for the high school years, so this is very hopeful!

Brenda (mom to 6)
Back to Top View BrendaPeter's Profile Search for other posts by BrendaPeter

Anne Marie M
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 08 2006 at 8:51am | IP Logged Quote Anne Marie M

Brenda,

It's too early to tell. We're considering taking classes from both, and it will require more work to navigate both registration systems, etc. However, it looks like they're committed to working with families doing just that.

Kelly, we're still looking at options. We're continuing Latin and considering lit courses - but haven't figured out which ones. We're also trying to evaluate our overall direction - I'm reading High School of Your Dreams. Very decisive, huh?

Anne Marie

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 08 2006 at 10:19am | IP Logged Quote Kelly

We're pondering taking a couple of lit classes at Scholars Online, too, but continuing the bulk of our classes at Regina Coeli. It *is* a little daunting dealing with two programs, though. And I was just beginning to feel competent with the RCA technology! However, I think it's mostly MY problem, more than the kids'. The prospect of dealing with various different programs doestn't seem to faze them in the slightest!

Kelly in FL

caliban2
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: June 27 2006 at 10:07pm | IP Logged Quote caliban2

Hi!

I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw this thread. I love ISLAS. :D I've been taking Latin classes there since I was ten years old. Now I am 14, and I am going into AP Latin this fall. Now I take Greek, too. This is my third year. I also take science classes (VERY HARD), and English classes, which I absolutely adore

Yes, I recommend ISLAS. You will find a unique kind of student there; and teachers devoted to teaching.

~Eleanor
Back to Top View caliban2's Profile Search for other posts by caliban2

caliban2
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: June 27 2006 at 10:08pm | IP Logged Quote caliban2

P. S. You'll get used to all the new technology! I promise!

ALmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 27 2006 at 11:28pm | IP Logged Quote ALmom

Can anyone give an approximate on what one course would cost? I'm in desperate need of Latin and the Latin tutor is going to be very, very expensive. My daughter has no background in Latin but we are really determined this year. Besides we need a high school language course. We've tried to teach Latin using everything from Prima Latina, Lc, Missal Latin (couldn't get past page one with mom trying to figure out how to pronounce the vowels) and it always went by the wayside because I just couldn't do it, didn't really have the time to study and learn it myself and dc needed some help.

I feel a bit ignorant listening in to all the Latin and languages everyone on these threads seems to be able to do. Ok help me feel a little less incompetent.

Janet
Back to Top View ALmom's Profile Search for other posts by ALmom

Anne Marie M
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 28 2006 at 10:14am | IP Logged Quote Anne Marie M

Janet,

Check out the description of the Henle courses at
Regina Coeli Academy. The cost is $400. If you click on "add to cart," you will see the registration/orientation charges.

Bottom line: it's costly but worth it.

Anne Marie in NM

Anne Marie M
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 28 2006 at 10:17am | IP Logged Quote Anne Marie M

Eleanor,

I'm guessing there aren't too many "Eleanors" on ISLAS. Welcome to the forum! Are you posting in the teen forum, too?

Mrs. M (otherwise known as Sean and Mary Therese's mom)

Anne Marie M
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 28 2006 at 10:18am | IP Logged Quote Anne Marie M

. . . oh, and Patrick's, too, but it's Sean and Mary Therese who do the most talking about you (all good, I promise!)

Mrs. M

caliban2
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: June 28 2006 at 10:31am | IP Logged Quote caliban2

Hi!
    Online Latin classes cost between $400 and $450 a year. I'm sad to say that they've raised their tuition fees. :/

ISLAS has now split into two schools. You can check them out here:
Regina Coeli
Scholars Online

Regina Coeli is a Catholic school, and Scholars Online is not, but otherwise, they both offer excellent classes. Having a Catholic teacher or using a Catholic textbook has never bothered me and probably never will.

I took Latin with Mrs. Robinson, who now teaches at Regina Coeli. All of her students adore her. She's funny, intelligent, sweet, and all of her students absolutely adore her. =)

If you're interested in taking classes with her, email her at magistra@reginacoeli.org. She will be able to help you find the perfect class for your daughter and give you a clearer idea of what the Latin classes will be like.

If you're interested in taking classes at Scholars Online, email mcmenomy@dorthonion.com. This is where I will continue to take my classes. My brother knew Ms. Decker in college, and I'm sure she will be a wonderful and enthusiastic teacher. Dr. Mcmenomy is inspiring. He's ABSOLUTELY. INCREDIBLE. I love him sooo much!

I can't recommend both schools enough. The teachers are dedicated to teaching and will be happy to work with the student and help them along the way.

A word of warning: the classes are tough. Many students have dropped out. Some graduates have told me that their college classes are easier than ISLAS classes.

To get through them requires a LOT of personal initiative. You will have to manage your own time and work very, very hard. It definitely takes a special kind of student. :) You have to be enthusiastic about the language if you want to succeed. But if you do succeed... Yikes! Look out world!

caliban2
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: June 28 2006 at 10:34am | IP Logged Quote caliban2

I had an idea you might be Sean and Mary Therese's daughter when I heard somebody talking about your daughter (Elizabeth?) at UD. =)

Yes, I got the account to see the teen forum. *shrug*

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 29 2006 at 5:48pm | IP Logged Quote Kelly

I second Eleanor's enthusiastic reviews of Magistra Robinson and the MacMenomy duet. The classes are hard but definitely "meaty". My ds is taking chemistry at the local university this summer and he says it is MUCH easier than islas science! So far, he and our 28 year old international student (that lives with us) are the top two in the university class. I think this speaks very well for ISLAS.

Kelly in FL-

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version