Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Please Join Engagement Game! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 02 2014 at 5:52pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

My ds got totally walloped at a fencing tournament recently- lost every match.

But I told him there is one benefit of losing: you don't really learn all that much from the people you beat. However, you always learn something from someone who beats you. So even though you may have lost, you still walk away with something valuable- ideas for what to do differently next time. Yes, the other person/team beat you, but he had to share some of his knowledge with you to do it.

Surprisingly, that seemed to make him feel better...

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 03 2014 at 6:07am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

If ou had an eat-in kitchen with no dining room or a dining room with no table, so there is just the one table for daily eating as well as entertaining, would you choose long benches or banquette.

I have always like the cozy look of banquete seating, and I like the idea of easy built in storage for seasonal table linens and things. But I wonder if it isn't a little harder to skootch around or down into, than simply stepping over benches.

However, the banquette would offer back support for longer evenings at the table, and most people prefer a booth kn a restaurant rather than chairs (though that might be more of a security/privacy thing since you are in a public place??).

Benches at a table have a bit more flexibility towards the formal table setting, I think?

We will likely go with one or the other for the mere practicality of squishing more little bodies around the table, but we will probably have at least two chairs, which would be offered if entertaining someone elderly or pregnant, etc...

Thoughts?

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

asplendidtime
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 03 2014 at 9:58am | IP Logged Quote asplendidtime

In our experience, benches can be dangerous. Keep in mind that little ones can pull them over on top of themselves, so if you choose benches, make sure you either put them on a wall, and the bench is longer than the length of your table, or fasten the bench securely to the table so it can't go anywhere. Benches can be very heavy. We used to fellowship with a lot of Mennonite families and always wondered why they would only have one bench and why it was always at the back of the table wedged between the table and wall. This is why. We discovered this, it happened several times and then we got rid of benches.

This might sound funny, but we use heavy duty padded folding chairs, you can get at Target or Costco, they are very sturdy, but if they fall, they are light enough not to hurt anyone, and they don't break like wooden chairs do. The low priced leatherette ones from Walmart are not a good purchase, the covers rip, and they simply don't last. I just gave up on low priced wooden chairs, and went with the folding chairs instead. My dc use them for school work also and they are comfortable, portable, and inexpensive. I was tired of replacing IKEA chairs.   

Mary 14,
Tim 13,
Jonah 12,
Josh 10,
Zoe 9,
Will 7,
Peter 6,
Laura-Mae 4,
Emily-Joy 2,
Genevieve & Gabriella 1
Back to Top View asplendidtime's Profile Search for other posts by asplendidtime Visit asplendidtime's Homepage

asplendidtime
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 03 2014 at 10:00am | IP Logged Quote asplendidtime

SeaStar wrote:

My ds got totally walloped at a fencing tournament recently- lost every match.

But I told him there is one benefit of losing: you don't really learn all that much from the people you beat. However, you always learn something from someone who beats you. So even though you may have lost, you still walk away with something valuable- ideas for what to do differently next time. Yes, the other person/team beat you, but he had to share some of his knowledge with you to do it.

Surprisingly, that seemed to make him feel better...

That is a wonderful way to look at it Melinda! Awesome!

Mary 14,
Tim 13,
Jonah 12,
Josh 10,
Zoe 9,
Will 7,
Peter 6,
Laura-Mae 4,
Emily-Joy 2,
Genevieve & Gabriella 1
Back to Top View asplendidtime's Profile Search for other posts by asplendidtime Visit asplendidtime's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 03 2014 at 10:10am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

It depends on the bench.. if they're made lighter, they may tip but they don't crush anyone. And you don't have to do single big heavy benches.. you can put for instance 2 benches on a side of the table rather than just one. That also allows more flexibility for sitting down

And like everything, kids will learn.

Having a bench against the wall is nice because the wall does act as a back of a chair. But do you really sit back into a chair at the table anyway?

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: April 05 2014 at 9:01am | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

What are your weekend plans? We have Opening Day for Little League! And if you could pray a quick prayer for my husband? He's the new Safety Officer and...it is ridiculous how some adult behave . Take for example the grandmother on my teach who, when her son was on the bench during a scrimmage, started chanting loudly, "Let Him Play! Let Him Play!" over and over *while my kid was on the pitching mound.* Yep, these kids are 8 - 10 years old. Sheesh.

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 05 2014 at 11:31am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Yard sales this morning.. I'm not an early bird.. days when I'm not doing *something* are too few.. dh is making waffles (somehow he's become the waffle maker) so after breakfast we'll get moving and head out and see what we can find.    I've got a list

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 05 2014 at 3:34pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

well I didn't get much off the list.. but I found some other things that we need and some nice things.. got a couple of lightweight tees for myself and a pair of bright blue shorts for this summer. Found a top I'll be able to use for Rendezvous, a red scarf, a pretty lightweight white cardigan.. just the type to toss over a tank top or sleeveless dress for church. I got a dress but it's a size big and I'm not sure about it.. I might be able to do a bit of adjustment and maybe shorten it too.

-Sir Walter Scott

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 05 2014 at 3:37pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Oh!! I almost forgot one of the best things I got.. a nice looking brown leather purse in a style that my has a birthday in a week almost 14 yr old was asking for. Of course she was asking for a blue one but this one was $1 instead of the $39 of the one she was looking at

And I decided better to show it to her and see if it would do and then still give it to her for her birthday than for her to get it and have the blue be more important than the style. She liked it. Which left me enough money to get a pretty pocketwatch style watch on a chain and a pinkie ring that she also really like and I'm done with birthday shopping for a bit.

-Sir Walter Scott

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: April 06 2014 at 10:10pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Sounds like a great find, Jodie! Always nice when you can get something for less than expected, and have enough left for an additional gift.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 07 2014 at 5:43pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Just wondering if anyone else has had a child in danger of death from long division... I told ds I would check on that to make sure I am not unduly risking his life with math problems...

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 07 2014 at 5:48pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

No but I had one who might have been at risk from fractions.. and she survived.

-Sir Walter Scott

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: April 08 2014 at 10:56pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

How about death by multiplication...?

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

JuliaT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 09 2014 at 7:50am | IP Logged Quote JuliaT

SeaStar wrote:
Just wondering if anyone else has had a child in danger of death from long division... I told ds I would check on that to make sure I am not unduly risking his life with math problems...

I have traveled twice through the precarious path of long division. Both times I thought I was the one who was in danger of death.    

I noticed something interesting yesterday, though. I am doing long division now for the third time with my youngest. I have been dreading this. We are dealing with some kind of learning difficulties here as she is 11 yrs. old and can't read yet and can't remember any math facts. But we plug along because she seems to understand how to do math. But I thought that would not include long division.

So we enter into long division yesterday and I am holding my breath and praying for patience. I show her once how to do this process and then she zips through the rest of the workpage on her own like nobody's business. I was stunned...and thankful.

MusingsofaPrairieGirl
Back to Top View JuliaT's Profile Search for other posts by JuliaT

SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 09 2014 at 8:50am | IP Logged Quote SallyT

I think *I* might die of late-elementary math . . . a second time. But we actually . . . and I hesitate to say this . . . are not bad at long division. It took AGES, but both my 4th and 5th graders finally have the process more or less down. We haven't done a whole lot of long division with larger divisors, but after two years of my writing out the basic steps at the top of every math page -- division sign, multiplication sign, minus sign, little down-arrow to indicate bringing down the next number in the dividend -- they finally have those steps down.

On the other hand, I know that there will be fractions on our standardized tests, and this year that's where we'll tank. Last year it was division. You can only do so much and actually learn it . . . and meanwhile I'm still putting them through blank multiplication charts . . . Today I've highlighted all the squares, so we'll see how many of those we can do from memory, rather than the whole 1-12 chart.

Sally

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 09 2014 at 10:24am | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

My ds just took his standardized test for the 5th grade, and the fractions were pretty tame overall- just adding and subtracting with like denominators.

SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 09 2014 at 10:51am | IP Logged Quote SallyT

Ooh, that we can do. We've actually been working a good bit with percents, turning them into fractions, in Life of Fred, so he knows a good bit already about how they work. If it's not any more complex than that on the CAT, I think we might be okay.

I hate testing. Hate it, hate it. Odious fact of life. But there it is. Something for us all to offer up.

Sally

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 09 2014 at 12:02pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Oh- hate it here, too. In dd's test, the instructions said to identify which underlined part of the sentence was the predicate. Then the directions said: remember, the predicate is the action part of the sentence.

DD read the first sentence and burst into tears, saying there was no predicate. I told her to check carefully, as I felt sure there was one.
It turned out the underlined word was "were"- which is not an action, but a state of being. Dd was adamant that the directions asked for an underlined action word. It was hard to come back from that

I don't know if all the CAT tests are the same through all the parts of the country, but if your ds is taking the CAT Survey for grade 5, watch out for the Red Wings question. It was Red Wings baseball on our test, which ds gleefully pointed out was an error. That was the happiest moment of his testing life- finding a mistake.

SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 10 2014 at 9:33am | IP Logged Quote SallyT

Ha! We'll be on the lookout. I don't know if they're all the same all over in the same year, but you never know.

I am enjoying doing highlighted parts of the multiplication table. Yesterday instead of squares we did the 3's, 6's, and 9's, looking for patterns. I still can't get my 10-year-old to internalize "when adding nine, the tens digit goes up one, and the ones digit goes down one," but we're working on it.

Today I think we'll do 2, 4, 6, 8, and 12. I'm trying to get them to see overlap with other facts they know. I'm also trying to get them to see that exercises like this are merely warmup, not the sum total of the math lesson. This is a hard concept.

Sally

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 10 2014 at 10:28am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Oh I learned to do the 9's 1-10 on my fingers.. I still use that when the "gears lock up". You hold your palms facing you.. number 1 is your left thumb.. you fold down number one and you have 9 fingers on the right of that thumb.. so 9x1 is nine. if you put down #4.. it's the ring finger on your left hand.. there's 3 fingers to the left and 6 fingers to the right.. 9x4 is 36.

-Sir Walter Scott

<< Prev Page of 12 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version