Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Lent and Easter Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 27 2006 at 4:43pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

I think it's Irene's Stations of the Cross you all are thinking of...someone have a link or something???

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: Feb 27 2006 at 5:49pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

Hi Victoria,
Here is what you're looking for . . . and thanks for the heads up to those who directed me to this thread!    I'll copy an old CCM post below. I can't wait to see how much my 3yo enjoys our Stations of the Cross boxes this year.

Stations of the Cross Box

A few days ago, someone asked for ideas for Lent. My husband came up with the following idea for making a Stations of the Cross Box to help keep our children’s interest while we prayed a few years ago. I think our oldest was 3 at the time and her sister was almost 2. He took a shoe box and put small objects that symbolize each station in the box. The children pull out the appropriate object to hold during that station. Our kids really look forward to praying with their boxes each Lent.

Station 1 Jesus is Condemned to Death -- a string to represent the rope used to tie Jesus’ hands

Station 2 Jesus Carries His Cross -- a small cross (ours is a small two-inch needlework children’s cross)

Station 3 Jesus Falls the First Time -- Joe put three band-aids in the box to represent Jesus’ three falls. He explained it to my toddler (almost 2 at the time) as band-aids for Jesus, who fell down and “hurt the knee”. She really identified with that and went around all that Lent talking in her baby voice about how Jesus fell and “hurt the knee”.   It was really cute.

Station 4 Jesus Meets His Mother Mary -- a plastic rosary to represent the Blessed Mother

Station 5 Simon Helps Jesus -- small wooden heart painted red to represent Simon’s generous help in carrying the cross.

Station 6 Veronica Wipes the Face of Jesus -- Joe took a rectangular piece of white fabric (cut from one of his old undershirts, actually) and drew the face of Jesus on it

Station 7 Jesus Falls the Second Time -- see Station 3

Station 8 Jesus Comforts the Women of Jerusalem -- a tissue for their tears

Station 9 Jesus Falls the Third Time -- see Station 3

Station 10 Jesus is Stripped of His Garments -- a small square of purple felt to represent His purple cloak

Station 11 Jesus is Nailed to the Cross -- a large nail

Station 12 Jesus Dies on the Cross -- a crucifix

Station 13 Jesus is Taken Down from the Cross -- a laminated holy card depicting Michelangelo’s Pieta

Station 14 Jesus is Buried -- a stone to represent the stone rolled in front of the tomb

I was so impressed with my husband’s idea that I was tempted to market the idea to Catholic book and gift shops, but I wouldn’t know where to begin. So I’ve just shared it with friends along the way.

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: Feb 27 2006 at 5:56pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

And while I'm at it, here is our own homemade version of the Resurrection Eggs. I bought plastic eggs in 6 bright colors and 6 pastel colors. These are the eggs we do an egg hunt with at our house on Easter morning. It's not until we get to my parents' house after Mass that the girls participate in a larger hunt with their cousins and lots of eggs and candy.

Resurrection Eggs

1. Palm branch. Jesus’ triumphal entry into Jerusalem.

2. 3 dimes. Judas’ betrayal and the 30 pieces of silver.

3. Piece of soap. Washing of Disciples’ feet.

4. Paper with praying hands. Garden of Gethsemane.

5. Rope. Jesus’ arrest.

6. 3 nails. Nails in Jesus’ hands and feet.

7. Small cross. Crucifixion.

8. Black inside the egg (colored with Sharpie marker). Darkness from noon to 3 pm.

9. Stone. Stone rolled away from the tomb.

10. Empty egg. Empty tomb and resurrection.

11. Small white lace angel. Resurrection, angel at tomb.

12. Cotton Ball. Jesus ascends into heaven.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 27 2006 at 7:25pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Thanks, Irene! Fabulous!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 27 2006 at 7:30pm | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

Irene, you should write an article on this. It is incredible!

Cottage Blessings
Brew yourself a cup of tea, and come for a visit!
Back to Top View alicegunther's Profile Search for other posts by alicegunther Visit alicegunther's Homepage

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: Feb 27 2006 at 10:49pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

alicegunther wrote:
Irene, you should write an article on this. It is incredible!

Actually I let an acquaintance include an abbreviated version of the Stations of the Cross Box idea in an article for Faith and Family Magazine a few years ago. I'm so glad that other families have enjoyed this great idea too. It really has been a blessing to our family all these years!

jdostalik
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 28 2006 at 8:43am | IP Logged Quote jdostalik

I've enjoyed this thread a lot...Thanks to you all for the great ideas. I just thought I'd post this craft that does NOT require me leaving the house to buy any supplies!

Crown of Thorns craft

Let the Little Ones Come

Back to Top View jdostalik's Profile Search for other posts by jdostalik Visit jdostalik's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 28 2006 at 8:46am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

jdostalik wrote:
I've enjoyed this thread a lot...Thanks to you all for the great ideas. I just thought I'd post this craft that does NOT require me leaving the house to buy any supplies!

Crown of Thorns craft
\

Great one! Except I'd still have to go out and buy toothpicks!!!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 28 2006 at 11:53am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

I love this crown of thorns -- sounds perfect for doing after we get back from Mass/ashes tomorrow! Thanks Jennifer!

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 05 2006 at 8:00pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Irene,
I wanted you to know that your Stations of the Cross box continues to inspire and bless.

Our Catholic hs group will use it this Friday. Each child will put together a S of the C box.

We'll be reading Stations of the Cross by the Andrews sisters and meeting at the retreat center for stations of the cross outside in the courtyard.

Thank you, once again.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Victoria in AZ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 06 2006 at 3:52pm | IP Logged Quote Victoria in AZ

teachingmom wrote:
Stations of the Cross Box

I’ve just shared it with friends along the way.

It occurred to me when making the Resurrection Eggs this year with dd's Little Flower's group, that the Stations of the Cross would fit well into an egg carton for 18 eggs (instead of the standard 12). This would separate the Stations well.

God grant us a Blessed Lent.

Back to Top View Victoria in AZ's Profile Search for other posts by Victoria in AZ

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version