Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Lent and Easter Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 25 2006 at 7:12pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Just passing along a few resources I've found so you can get your orders in. Ash Wednesday is March 1, 2006!

I have not seen this, but Forty Days and Forty Nights: A Lenten Ark Moving Toward Easter is similar to an Advent calendar.

I do have this: For Easter, the 50 Days of Rejoicing, there is this lovely The Garden of the Good Shepherd: A Sticker Calendar to Count the Fifty Days of Easter. Illustrated by Tomie DePaola and integrating the Catechesis of the Good Shepherd, this is really nice.

Any more favorite or new additions for the upcoming seasons?

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 25 2006 at 7:18pm | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

Jenn, I am very excited about these resources and plan to purchase them. Thank you so much!

Cottage Blessings
Brew yourself a cup of tea, and come for a visit!
Back to Top View alicegunther's Profile Search for other posts by alicegunther Visit alicegunther's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Jan 25 2006 at 7:59pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

The Printery House of Conception Abbey also has a Lent sticker calendar.

Jesus in Jerusalem-A Sticker Journey Through Lent

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Marybeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 25 2006 at 9:39pm | IP Logged Quote Marybeth

Oh, Jenn...you are so good...I am still trying to find our Valentine books which I know have to be on a bookshelf somewhere in this house!!!

I promise to start thinking about Lent and ordering stuff tomorrow. Do you like my Scarlett O'Hara approach to the liturgical year?

God bless,

Mb
Back to Top View Marybeth's Profile Search for other posts by Marybeth

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 25 2006 at 10:49pm | IP Logged Quote momwise

MaryM wrote:
The Printery House of Conception Abbey also has a Lent sticker calendar

Good one Mary. I'm going to order this.

Hey......I actually found something useful for this thread by accident

Here is a Resurrection Plant you can order for science at Tobin's Lab.

MichelleW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 26 2006 at 2:01am | IP Logged Quote MichelleW

Scripture Trees has a Jesus branch we used last year (and probably will again this year). It is a felt banner that has an empty branch on it. Each days' readings from the gospels correspond to a little felt decoration the kids put on the branch and by Easter the branch looks like it has blossomed. The kit is only $10, but you do have to put it together. It's not that hard. My then 5yo dd did much of it herself.

They don't have a website but the email is ScriptureTrees@usfamily.net
Back to Top View MichelleW's Profile Search for other posts by MichelleW

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 26 2006 at 6:36am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Uh-oh ladies -- looks like hte budget is just shot again....

Gwen, that Resurrection plant is cool (and then I found a few other items at Tobin Labs that look very cool -- they have cute small baskets to make that I might have Thomas and Maggie do to make their own easter baskets this year).

and the dePaola calendar and Ark are wonderful Jenn!

keep the ideas coming

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

Lisa R
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 26 2006 at 9:09am | IP Logged Quote Lisa R

Thanks for the links. Just placed my order as well!

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 26 2006 at 11:23am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

MaryM wrote:
The Printery House of Conception Abbey also has a Lent sticker calendar.

Jesus in Jerusalem-A Sticker Journey Through Lent

That looks like dePaola work...can you tell? I found a few cents cheaper from Creative Communications. Didn't compare the shipping costs, though.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 26 2006 at 11:24am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

momwise wrote:
Here is a Resurrection Plant you can order for science at Tobin's Lab.

That is so cool! Thanks!!

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 26 2006 at 11:25am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

MichelleW wrote:
Scripture Trees has a Jesus branch we used last year (and probably will again this year). It is a felt banner that has an empty branch on it. Each days' readings from the gospels correspond to a little felt decoration the kids put on the branch and by Easter the branch looks like it has blossomed. The kit is only $10, but you do have to put it together. It's not that hard. My then 5yo dd did much of it herself.

They don't have a website but the email is ScriptureTrees@usfamily.net

I keep hearing great things about these Jesus Trees, putting them to work for Advent and Lent. There's some more information on this site, if you scroll down.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 10 2006 at 2:11pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I got some more great idea in my mailbox today that I thought I would pass along. These also coincide with Catechesis of the Good Shepherd. Beulah Enterprises has a section on Lent and Easter, but highlighted in particular was Butterfly Gardens to prepare for Easter, and Build the Temple with mortar and bricks...a great Lenten project!

I'm impatiently waiting for my ds to be old enough to do some of these projects!!!

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 25 2006 at 4:13pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I received another catalog in the mail and had to share some of the wonderful items. I hope I can convince dh to purchase a few items. Excuse my enthusiasm...I promise I don't make a thing from my endorsement!!!

The catalog is from www.monasterygreetings.com which has a collection of various items from monasteries all over the world. The most stunning items to me, and very reasonably priced, are the Easter Triptychs.

MacBeth has been singing the praises of soy candles, and here are Pillar candles (scroll down) made of soy and palm wax.

I haven't priced these elsewhere, but there are some nice censors and incense that seemed very reasonable.

Finally, not to necessarily buy from here, but to see the exquisite beauty of the Paschal Lamb Easter cookies...reminded me that I would like to get an Easter mold from House on the Hill. I don't think these are the exact ones as this cookie, but pretty close.

Also of note are the Easter Greeting Cards. Not a huge selection, but to me they are just what the Easter message is about, and should be shared!
Christ is Risen!!

Victoria in AZ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 25 2006 at 7:25pm | IP Logged Quote Victoria in AZ

I believe it is one of our very own members who created a Lenten countdown of 12 days using an egg carton. Does anyone have a link or saved info they might share?

Thanks in advance

Back to Top View Victoria in AZ's Profile Search for other posts by Victoria in AZ

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 25 2006 at 8:07pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

Resurrection Eggs
Is this what you were thinking of? I've always done them all at once, but a countdown.....hmmmm......

momtomany
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 26 2006 at 9:53am | IP Logged Quote momtomany

Thanks everyone, for all the great suggestions.
I've put in some orders

Also, last year, from a suggestion here, we got and put together the Passion Play from Illuminated Ink.

ALmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 26 2006 at 12:39pm | IP Logged Quote ALmom

We use Seton's 1st grade activity book for holy week and make a tomb out of shoe boxes, color and cut out the crucified Christ on Good Friday (one for each child). We do the resurrected Christ (coloring and cutting out) on Holy Saturday. After discussing the passion or Stations on Good Friday, we place the first Jesus on the cross (again one for each child)and then try to have some quiet time until 3 PM and then dc take Jesus from the cross and place Jesus in the tomb and seal the door. Some of our more creative dc actually used white cloth and made shrouds, etc. You use a tiny bit of scotch tape on hands and feet in the back so that you can remove and still have the cross.

After dc are in bed on Saturday night, dh and I remove the crucified image and place a plastic egg in the tomb - with a note with a scripture about the resurrection and a clue where to find their Easter basket (which is hidden somewhere in the house). We decorate the empty cross with flowers, cloth, etc. and place the resurrected image somewhere in the vacinity of the tomb - usually standing on top. The stone open wide revealing the hint of the plastic egg. Even our 18 yo enjoys this.

Someone also gave us a recipe for Easter story cookies which we also do - it is somewhat Protestant but we modified one or two verses by reading the entire context or modifying the explanation somewhat. It is a lot of fun and the dc love hammering the nuts and also placing masking tape on the oven door late Saturday night. It is the first thing they look forward to undoing on Easter Sunday after church.

We have our own ceder meal - with explanations of the original and now the full meaning of the Mass. We usually do this on Wednesday of Holy Week (instead of Thursday) in order to have time to take our time. Thursday is set aside for Mass and adoration, of course. Holy Thursday is my favorite liturgy of the entire year (along with Holy Saturday) and the one time we are assured of silence after Mass. We relish in that gift (our church has come up with actually turning off the lights to keep people quiet). I cannot wait!

Janet
Back to Top View ALmom's Profile Search for other posts by ALmom

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 27 2006 at 8:52am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Victoria in AZ wrote:
I believe it is one of our very own members who created a Lenten countdown of 12 days using an egg carton. Does anyone have a link or saved info they might share?

Rachel May wrote:
Resurrection Eggs
Is this what you were thinking of? I've always done them all at once, but a countdown.....hmmmm......

I think Rachel's link is what you were thinking of, Victoria, but I was digging up my old files and came across some homemade Resurrection Eggs. I think if you did a Google search you'd come across many versions. I'm going to put a Catholic spin on my findings.

Instead of calling them "Resurrection Eggs" I think they should be called Paschal Mystery Eggs, because they are teaching about the passion, death and resurrection of Christ...and also the Eucharist.

Have 12 or more plastic eggs and fill them with a symbol and a corresponding Scripture verse to explain the symbol.

A way to make this a bit different each year and in tune with the Liturgy, is follow the Gospel for this year. Every year the Passion is read twice: on Palm/Passion Sunday and Good Friday. Good Friday is always from the Gospel of John, and Palm Sunday reflects the Year of the Readings. We are in Year B, so it's from Mark this year. I didn't have time to look up and compare all quotes, but there are many corresponding quotes in the Synoptic Gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke).

Placing small tokens in plastic Easter eggs to tell the Easter story is an idea that has been around for some time. It’s currently being marketed prepackaged. For those that would rather put together their own set of Resurrection Eggs, we’ve put together a list culled from a number of different sources. That means we have more than 12 eggs, so you get to pick and choose which tokens and scriptures you want to use.

1) Small cracker pieces - Mark 14:22

2) Three dimes - Matt. 26:14-15 or Matt 27:3-4 or Luke 22:3-6

3) Small Chalice (made from foil) - Matt 26:26-29 or Luke 22:17-19 or Mark 14:17-21

4) Rooster (drawing, picture or a feather) - Matt. 26:33-34 or Mark 14:26-31 or Luke 22:34-34 or John 13:36-38

5) Twine with knots in it or a small piece of rope - Matt. 27:1-2 or Mark 15:1 or Luke 23:1 or John 18:28

6) Soap piece - Matt. 27:24-26

7) Small piece of leather (scourging) – Matthew 27:26 or Mark 15:15

8) Red fabric or purple fabric -Matt. 27:28-30 or Mark 15:17

9) Thorn - Mark 15:17 or Matt. 27:29

10) Cross made from toothpicks - Matt. 27:31-32 or John 19:17-18

11) Nail - Matt. 27:31 or John 20:25

12) Dice - Matt. 27:35-36 or John 19:23-24

13) Sponge - John 19:29-30 or Matt 27:48

14) Crushed rock or dirt - Matt. 27:50, 51 & 54

15) Sword or spear (plastic hors d’oeuvres sword, Lego sword or spear) - John 19:34

16) White fabric - Matt. 27:58-60

17) Stone - Matt. 27:65-66 or Mark 15:46

18) Bayleaf or cinnamon sticks or cardomon or cloves (spice mixture) - Matt. 28: 2 & 5 or Luke 23:55; 24: 1-3 or Mark 16:1-4):

19) Empty egg - Matt. 28:6 or Mark 16:5-6 or Luke 24:3-6 or John 3:16

20) Cotton ball (A cloud) – Mark 16:19

Also, Irene (Teachingmom) and her husband put together a Stations of the Cross box. Maybe she'll give permission to repost here...I'll ask. I have a copy. It's just so wonderful.

Victoria in AZ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 27 2006 at 11:55am | IP Logged Quote Victoria in AZ

Irene! That's it--thanks so much, Jenn! Her Stations of the Cross box would be a meaningful addition to this Lenten thread.

The Resurrection Eggs I was thinking of were Catholic and homemade (not something to order). They were very similar to what you've compiled above.

Thanks again and

Back to Top View Victoria in AZ's Profile Search for other posts by Victoria in AZ

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 27 2006 at 1:24pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Another one to add to the eggs is a picture of Mary. I don't have the Biblical reference in front of me, though.

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version