Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Homemaking notebook for girls Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Sharyn
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 17 2009 at 10:24am | IP Logged Quote Sharyn

I was wondering if anyone ever made one of these with their dd?

I got the idea from looking at the CHC book online, 'Tea and cake with the Saints' and have been excited about it ever since. I have since ordered the book and am waiting for it to arrive, but I would love to get any inspiration that anyone might have to offer.

I have bought a pretty journal for my dd (9yrs)which she chose and I have bought some scrapbooking magazines for inspiration, as I have never done anything like this before.

I thought we would talk about a topic, read about it, do some practical things, and then we could 'scrapbook' a page on that. We might bake a cake and put the recipe in the book. Put in a poem on virtue and so on, just about whatever seems to fit.

I plan to use various books randomly as resources such as the 'Tea and Cake with the Saints', also I have the 'Little Flowers' bk 1.

Has anyone used the 'Little Womens Hospitality Program'? I thought this might be especially useful. But I would have to order it without seeing it.

I want this notebook to be a collection of things about her journey to womanhood. Something special for us to do to strenghten our relationship as mother and daughter.   She is growing up so fast, perhaps this could be a wonderful way for us to share and learn (I need to learn lots too) what it is to be a woman.    

I look forward to any input
Back to Top View Sharyn's Profile Search for other posts by Sharyn

Mimip
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 17 2009 at 2:42pm | IP Logged Quote Mimip

Sharyn,

What a wonderful idea!!! This would be especially wonderful with our DD age 9 since her sister is making her FHC notebook this year and she feels a bit left out.   

I think the hospitality program is for older girls (12 and up) but I have never seen it so it might be adaptable. We are doing Little Flowers right now but our leader may be taking some time off so this might be a great alternative.

Looking forward to some ideas

Back to Top View Mimip's Profile Search for other posts by Mimip

Matilda
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 17 2009 at 3:19pm | IP Logged Quote Matilda

Here are some other discussions that have talked about the Little Women Hospitality program:

Little Women Hospitality Program?

Little Women Hospitality Program

Waltzing Matilda
Back to Top View Matilda's Profile Search for other posts by Matilda

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 18 2009 at 11:13am | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

What about St. Martha's Apron Strings?

She did a WONDERFUL job!

Sharyn
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 20 2009 at 8:17am | IP Logged Quote Sharyn

St. Martha's Apron Strings is just what I was looking for Paula, thankyou. Actually I had come back to post that the links Matilda gave for the Little Women Hospitality Program had led me there, so thankyou too Matilda

After reading the St. Martha's Apron Strings I'm wondering if my own idea is too haphazard and complicated and if I should just wait for my copy of Tea and Cake with the Saints to arrive. But this could be another 3 weeks away and we are excited to begin now

I'm not sure that my idea of using a bound journal will work either. It would seem that TAC suggests arranging it under headings?

Thanks to Mackfam I should be able to get a good start to our journals made now.   

Back to Top View Sharyn's Profile Search for other posts by Sharyn

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: July 20 2009 at 8:39am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Hi Sharyn...I'm late seeing this , but you're so welcome!!! I'm so happy if any of it can be of help!

St. Martha's Apron Strings is really just a lot of reflections and a nice booklist. There's no reason your dd couldn't get started with her homemaking notebook, setting up tabs and making it pretty while you assemble a library list for reading. I do suggest a 3 ring binder. My dd enjoys adding things to her binder as she discovers them. Also, sheet protectors are great for dropping in little magazine clippings of inspiration as well. We think of her notebook as a mini hope chest....sort of inspiration for what might one day be in her hope chest. My dd will be 13 in a few months and we're searching for her actual hope chest. But, the notebook still serves as a place for the "one day" ideas as well as leaving places to journal ideas for keeping house and being creative in the home. We used what we had around here for the notebook - a 3 ring binder and some scrapbook paper and stickers so she could decorate it as well as some dividers for her notebook. That might be enough of a project so that when Tea and Cake arrives she's ready to read and add to her notebook.

Let me know if you have any questions...I'll try to answer them. Hope you and your dd have lots of fun working on this together!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 20 2009 at 4:28pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Jennifer

My nearly 16yr old dd has just expressed an interest in compiling her own recipe book from successful meals she makes    We are also starting her first dress today!! and she has recently taken over laundry for me, washing clothes, folding and ironing.

I've suggested that she take on Home Arts as her 'project' this year and she is keen. So I'm off to re-visit St Martha's Apron Strings.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Sharyn
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 21 2009 at 8:59am | IP Logged Quote Sharyn

Jennifer,your reflections and booklists are a blessing to me. I was raised to know how to run an orderly house but not much besides. I have so much to learn and so little time, and especially at this moment when I'm so tired having a 3 month old, your blog is a precious help.

Thanks for your journal suggestions We have just started term 3 here and I have decided to use this week to get some major projects under way. We spent yesterday and today on First Holy Communion journals and papier mache insects. Tommorow we'll see if we can't start our homemaker journals

Had you any ideas on what you will use for your dd's hope chest?

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: July 21 2009 at 9:33am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I'm so glad if any of them are helpful, Sharyn!

Sharyn wrote:
Had you any ideas on what you will use for your dd's hope chest?

Yes. We've been hunting at flea markets. We're looking for a cedar lined chest. My hope is to find something fairly inexpensively. There is a lovely flea market up in the Nashville area, and when we go home to visit family we go there. They have many beautiful old linens and tea services and hats and aprons - it's like a dream walking through there...and you can surely imagine how much I have to restrain myself!!!! My mom and my aunt go there regularly and they're watching for a potential hope chest for my dd as we only get to visit this flea market periodically.

If there is a flea market near you, it would be worthwhile even to make a bit of a drive, get to know the vendors, pass your phone number along to a few if you're unable to check there regularly. Or you could check your local Craigslist regularly. A lot of towns have furniture consignment stores that you could look into. You might just inquire at some of the local furniture dealers. Lane used to make a beautiful cedar chest, but I don't know if they do anymore. I'd link some things, but I see you're in Australia so I know that would make a huge difference and you certainly couldn't pay to ship something like a cedar chest over there...so I'm thinking checking some of the local shops and flea markets would be the best and most frugal way for you as well.

Actually....maybe it would be helpful if I linked so you could see what I'm talking about at least??? Here are some cedar hope chests.

Hope this is helpful!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Mimip
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 21 2009 at 10:46am | IP Logged Quote Mimip

I have been making my girls embroidered pillow cases. I will be giving all the kids something hand stitched for them each year for Christmas but now that this came up maybe my daughter (9) could start making something for herself this year.

Thanks for the ideas Ladies, oh and I love the hope chests and flea market ideas!

Back to Top View Mimip's Profile Search for other posts by Mimip

Sharyn
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 21 2009 at 10:56am | IP Logged Quote Sharyn

Mackfam wrote:
Actually....maybe it would be helpful if I linked so you could see what I'm talking about at least??? Here are some cedar hope chests.

I have been wanting one of those for ages for myself but we are bursting at the seams in our current house and don't have room for something that big. It is a lovely idea that I will hold onto though. I have seen some nice ones at furniture stores, but in pine not cedar. I guess the cedar would help keep moths out?

I love the old antique ones, but it has been years since I have been able to browse in an antique store.
The good ones are quite far from where we live, but I have been meaning to talk dh into going as I'd love to collect some stuff for the house.

Perhaps for the now dd would really appreciate one of those blank ply boxes with a hinged lid that you can get from craft stores. We could decorate it ourselves, perhaps a paper collage and then varnish it.
She shares her room with her 5 yr old sister at the moment and has been upset lately when she has gotten into her things. Perhaps if I put a little lock on the box she could put all her special items in there and her homemakers journal, out of the way of little brothers and sisters

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 21 2009 at 11:07am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I love those old cedar chests. Do make sure you change out the hardware, as those old ones were safety hazards getting children stuck inside.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: July 21 2009 at 11:37am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

JennGM wrote:
I love those old cedar chests. Do make sure you change out the hardware, as those old ones were safety hazards getting children stuck inside.

Yes, that's a good point! I believe the Lane Cedar chest locking mechanism from 1979 - 1994 was recalled for safety defects. Do be sure to check into that!

Sharyn,
I think the smallish wooden box personally decorated would be a lovely way to start for your dd!

Cherishedheart
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Aug 07 2009 at 7:37am | IP Logged Quote Cherishedheart

We have been looking at making our girls Hope Chests for some time now, but never got around to it.

I am trying to get the girls to make things to go in them, but they are often making other things like birthday and Christmas presents

baby Trahaearn
Cherished Hearts At Home
Back to Top View Cherishedheart's Profile Search for other posts by Cherishedheart Visit Cherishedheart's Homepage

ekbell
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 07 2009 at 4:30pm | IP Logged Quote ekbell

I second the use of a three ring binder.

I still have my old cookbook made by my mom and I as well as all the material from my old 4-H homemaking projects (my main source of formal homemaking/handicraft learning when I was young) as well as various recipe's clipped out of newspapers and placed in sheet protectors.

The ablity to rearrange material and photocopy/replace pages and binders has been very useful over the decades.
Back to Top View ekbell's Profile Search for other posts by ekbell

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version