Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: Little Women Hospitality Program? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Matilda
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 02 2009 at 5:03pm | IP Logged Quote Matilda

Little Women Hospitality Program

Anyone know anything about this program? How it might compare to Alice's Tea and Cake With the Saints? What age range it might be best suited for?

Waltzing Matilda
Back to Top View Matilda's Profile Search for other posts by Matilda

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 02 2009 at 5:42pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Charlotte,
I have this.
My friend Karen and I were supposed to hold a hospitality class at co-op for the girls starting in January. She had a baby in October and we were consumed w/ the other classes going-on. This one never got off the ground.

We both love what it offers. I'll need to get both books out side by side to compare but Alice's book has a charm and artsy beauty a home should not be without. Personally, I think LW gives you the practical how-to. Alice's gives you a more relaxed motivational and intentional desire to do it.

T & C w/ Saints in the home
LW could be done with a group

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 02 2009 at 6:30pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Charlotte

I have this and I like it. I had started writing a program using both this and Tea and Cake with the Saints (and also Sewing with Saint Anne) - but will end up finishing it in time for next school year. You have inspired me to get back to finishing planning this.

I think it is aimed at girls 10 and up. More informationhere

Let me know if there is anything specific you want me to check.

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 02 2009 at 6:51pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

MarilynW wrote:
I had started writing a program using both this and Tea and Cake with the Saints (and also Sewing with Saint Anne) - but will end up finishing it in time for next school year. You have inspired me to get back to finishing planning this.

Marilyn,
Will you be sharing your combined plans?

I'm sure next school year, Karen and I will get around to this at co-op. We are both passionate about getting it going and having it already woven together would equip us and keep us from getting overwhelmed.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 02 2009 at 6:56pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Cay - I will when I get them done. 6 weeks to baby and still tons to do! I really want to make them a priority - because I have promised my dd that it will be a priority for next year. I am trying to figure out whether to do them individually or as a coop - last year there were a few girls (mamas on this forum) who were interested - but hyperemesis and preemies and other things happened.

Matilda
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 02 2009 at 9:05pm | IP Logged Quote Matilda

I was thinking from what I read that the LW program was more of a group activity. I know how beautiful and useful Alice's book is in the home. Marilyn, I would love to see anything you have on put together (finished or not) that combines all of these resources!

One more question about LW...is it created by the same people who created Little Flowers and how closely does it follow the Little Flowers format or does it follow a different format?

Waltzing Matilda
Back to Top View Matilda's Profile Search for other posts by Matilda

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: April 02 2009 at 9:21pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Charlotte -
I certainly don't want to take away from Marilyn's lovely plans - I can't wait to see them! I did want to throw out that I've done a little something that coordinates with Alice's Tea and Cake with the Saints. St. Martha's Apron Strings takes each of Alice's suggestions for a homemaking notebook and coordinates various books and resources to build a more focused study of that topic. The first post in the series sums up what I was trying to accomplish. It might be best to read this post first rather than slogging through the series backwards trying to put things together. The series springs from Alice's book, but primarily uses the Mary Frances books by Jane Eayre Fryer as a spine for each unit. I used it loosely this year, but intend for it to be an integral part of a program I'm writing for my daughter for next year. I'll be spending the next couple of months adding some planning sheets to the series of posts, possibly more book resources, and tying up loose ends in the series so that we can start with it in the fall. I intend to lay out a 2 year focused study. My goal is for this to be a guide for my daughter to use...I'll provide resources, but I want her to self-propel a bit, so I intend to generate some planning sheets (which I'll post with the series) for her to plan and manage her time in this study.

Just wanted you to know it's out there...if you're looking (you might find some good book resources if nothing else)...though I fear it will always feel *incomplete* in my mind...there is still much work to be done on it.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 02 2009 at 9:43pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Mackfam wrote:
Charlotte -
I certainly don't want to take away from Marilyn's lovely plans - I can't wait to see them! I did want to throw out that I've done a little something that coordinates with Alice's Tea and Cake with the Saints. St. Martha's Apron Strings takes each of Alice's suggestions for a homemaking notebook and coordinates various books and resources to build a more focused study of that topic.

Ooh - I had forgotten that you had done this Jen. From what I remember you had some beautiful and very comprehensive plans. Much more detailed than I would do. Charlotte - I recommend you look at Jen's program - very lovely. And I will certainly post once I do mine.
(I only have handwritten notes right now with supply lists - Abby and I did this in October!)

KackyK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 03 2009 at 6:48am | IP Logged Quote KackyK

Thanks Jen!!!! Looks wonderful! I had forgotten about it too. I'm thinking of trying to get something like this started for my dd for the summer!

Now if we can just repair our sewing machine...we'll be set!   

Mom to 8 - 3 dd, 5ds & 4 babes in heaven

Beginning With the Assumption
Back to Top View KackyK's Profile Search for other posts by KackyK Visit KackyK's Homepage

LisaD
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 13 2009 at 6:19pm | IP Logged Quote LisaD

We have been doing the Little Women program this year, and have really enjoyed it a lot. There are about 20 girls in our group (too many, unless you have a very large house to meet at), ranging in age from 6 to 16. I think the perfect age for this is from around 9-13, though. It is a very nicely-done program, and dd has learned a lot this year.

I would love to get Alice's book to use on my own with dd next year, to build on the things she's learned this year.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version