Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Apostles.com Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 07 2009 at 1:48pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Just saw this review for the website Apostles.com. It's a wonderful website, with lots of information and links to resources on the Apostles. I was surprised they listed only one symbol for each apostle, as I know there are dozens, and many different kinds of "shields". I also noticed they have a Catholic news feed on the front page, which has some stories that I wouldn't feel completely comfortable having my young children read the headlines. Nothing too explicit, just beyond my comfort level.

With Pentecost coming up and the bulk of apostles' feast days coming, I thought I'd compile some of the Apostles information we have here, especially since we have more symbolic information.

Apostle Feast Days
James the Lesser – May 3
Philip – May 3
Matthias - May 14
Peter – June 29 (also Chair of St. Peter, February 22 and St. Peter in Chains, August 1)
Thomas – July 3
James the Greater – July 25
Bartholomew – August 24
Matthew – September 21
Jude (Thaddeus) – October 28
Simon – October 28
Andrew – November 30
John – December 27

And the thirteenth apostle is often consider Paul -- June 29.

And St. Barnabas also bears the title of apostle. His feast is June 11.

Picture Book of Twelve Apostles:
The Twelve Apostles by Marianna Mayer

Previous Threads on apostles and symbols:
Printable Images of the Apostles

Apostle Feast Days with the very cool idea of the Altoid tins

Apostle Symbols

Catechesis Materials

Activity: Apostle Cookies

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 07 2009 at 1:49pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Symbols
Below are symbols of the apostles, with a link to Patron Saints Index of Apostles, which also lists patronages and symbols, also.

This information is mainly from the excellent book Church Symbolism by F.R. Webber. It's out-of-print, but has had several reprintings.

1. James the Lesser, May 3
    vertical saw, handle upward (form of martyrdom)
    fuller's bat
    three stones
    windmill
    halberd
    loaf of bread

He labored in Jerusalem. He was taken to the top of the temple and pushed into mid-air, but was able to stagger to his knees, imploring God to forgive his enemies. The Jews then stones him, and as he lay dying, a fuller dashed out his brains with a fuller's bat. His dead body was sawn asunder.

2. Philip, May 3
    Tau (T) Cross and basket (his presence at the miracle of the loaves and fish and the cross for his martyrdom)
    slender cross and two loaves of bread
    patriarchal cross and a spear
    vertical spear (instrument of martyrdom)
    basket and Tau cross
    knotted cross of wood
    slender cross and carpenter's square
    Tau cross and pilgrim's staff
    pillar and spear
    tall cross and a book
    tall cross and a scroll
    inverted cross
    dragon
    fallen idol

After laboring in Galatia and Phrygia, Philip is said to have suffered a cruel death. When scourging failed to silence him, he was stoned, crucified and finally run through with a spear.

3. Matthias, May 14
    broom straw (chosen by lot to replace Judas)
    halbert
    lance
    carpenter's square
    sword held by its point
    axe
    saw
    scroll
    scimitar and book
    stone
    battle axe
    two stones
    long cross
    hatchet
    open Bible and double battle axe

Said to have been stoned and then beheaded while working in Judea.

4. Peter, June 29
    keys, crossed in a letter X (saltire)
    pastoral staff and two large keys
    inverted cross
    Inverted Cross with two keys saltire
    Crowing Cock
    fish
    two swords
    Patriarchial cross and two keys
    two keys and a scroll
    sword
    Great church built upon a rock
    fetters, with or without crossed keys

Peter is said to have been crucified at Rome, requesting that the cross be turned upside down, since he didn't think himself worthy to die in the same position as Jesus.

5. Thomas, July 3 (formerly December 21)
    lance and carpenter's square (he built the first Christian church in Babylon and India and was martyred with a lance), sometime with several arrows
    spear and lance
    builder's rule;
    arrows
    five wounds of our Lord
    girdle
    book and spear

Believed to preach the Gospel in India, where he was stoned, shot down with arrows, and left dying alone, until a pagan priest ran him through with a spear. He is said to have erected with his own hands a church building in Malipur, in Easter India, and hence the square and his patronage to builders.

6. James the Greater, July 25
    scalloped shell (pilgrimage by sea to Spain to spread the Gospel)
    3 escallop shells, two above, one below, the symbol of pilgrimage, usually gold on background of red
    pilgrim's staff
    escallop shell
    pilgrim's wallet
    pilgrim's hat
    cloak
    white horse and white banner
    vertical cross-hilted sword and escallop shell

He died 14 years after Christ at the hands of Herod, beheaded by a sword, but the soldier executioner asked forgiveness and became a Christian!

7. Bartholomew, August 24
    knife resting on Bible (he was martyred at knife point). I've also heard that he was the groom at the wedding of Cana)
    3 flaying knives, vertical
    flaying knife and book
    human skin
    human skin on a cross
    scimitar
    devil under his feet
    branch of the fig tree, mentioned in John 1, 48 (Thought to be Nathaniel)
    St. Matthew's Gospel
    cross
    pillar

While preaching in Albanople, he was flayed, crucified, and his dead body decapitated with a scimitar.

8. Matthew, September 21
    moneybag (tax collector by trade) (sometimes 3 bags)
    money chest
    winged man
    dolphin
    battle axe
    Tau cross
    caprenter's square
    tiara
    pen and ink horn
    halberd
    angel holding an ink-horn
    scroll of his Gospel
    sword

Said to have crucified in Ehtiopian on a Tau cross, and his head severed from his dead body with a battle axe or an halberd.

9. Jude, October 28
    sailboat (traveled to Persia) (sometimes with cross-shaped mast)
    carpenter's square
    boat hook
    knotted club
    inverted cross
    bread and fish
    long cross
    flail
    saw
    lance
    closed book

Tireless missionary, visited Arabia, Syria and Mesopotamia. Exact manner of death unknown.

10. Simon, October 28
    fish (was a fisherman by trade)
    two fishes
    fish on a book
    oar
    fuller's club
    halberd
    ship
    sword
    saw
    axe
    saw, oar saltire, sometimes with primitive battle axe
    fish impaled upon boat hook

Said to have evangelized in Egypt and Mesopotamia. Exact manner of death is unknown. Generally supposed to have been sawn asunder, or else beheaded.

11. Andrew, November 30
    X (the shape of the cross he was crucified upon)
    V or Y shaped cross
    two fishes crossed
    tall cross and book
    vertical spear
    primitive fish hook
    fisherman's net

St. Andrew is believed to have died while preaching the Gospel in Greece, on a cross saltire, or X shape.

12. John, December 27
    chalice and snake (his life was spared after drinking from a poisoned chalice)
    cup and serpent
    eagle (symbol of his mystical Gospel)
    John as bishop seated on stone tomb, with book, orb and sword
    serpent entwined on the sword (Sword of the Spirit, which is the Word of God)
    eagle rising out of a cauldron
    eagle on a closed book
    scroll of his Gospel
    scroll of Book of Revelation
    nimbed eagle
    grave

John is the only Apostle said to have died a natural death at an old age.

13. Additionally, there is also

Paul, June 29
    Book and sword
    Three fountains of water
    Two swords Saltire
    Serpent and fire
    Phoenix, because of St. Paul's stress upon doctrine of the Resurrection
    Palm tree (also resurrection symbol)
    Shield of Faith, rayed Latin cross upon a shield
    Armour of God
    Scourge
    12 scrolls with names of his Epistles

Barnabas, June 11
    Dalmatic
    three stones
    book and staff
    St. Matthew's Gospel
    Pilgrim's staff and wallet
    burning pyre
    cross
    hatchet

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 07 2009 at 1:49pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

From With Christ Through the Year by Rev. Bernard Strasser, O.S.B., illustrated by Sister M.A. Justina Knapp, O.S.B. There are no explanations for each symbol, so you might have to piece some of the information above together to identify the image.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 07 2009 at 1:50pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I originally posted some of this from Catechesis Materials thread:

From Making New Testament Toys by Margaret Hutchings. She has the twelve apostles, made from the UK Smartie tubes (I'm trying to figure out what I can use to substitute). Each figure has felt covering, and little felt hands and symbols attached to each apostle. It requires a little bit of stitching, but these are wonderful versions -- faces, symbols, etc. I think some of the ideas could be adapted to the clothespin versions. The instructions are long, but for a brief synopsis:

St. Peter: Tiny keys for Peter (such as from old jewelry boxes (or made from strong wire). Sew on with thread

St. Andrew: Two popsicle sticks for Andrew, glue together as an X, stitch to his back, and add a yarn loop that comes over the shoulders so it looks like he's carrying his cross.

James the Greater: Piece of net and cardstock to make cut out fish for James. Cut out fish, decorate, tie together in a bunch, put fish net around his shoulders.

John: Another clothespin doll covered with blue felt to look like Mary. Head should be covered, add tiny pearl beads to look like tears, and add an arm or hand around Mary and put her close to St. John.

Philip: Requires a little basket...her suggestion is a large button and knit to make a basket, then add bread colored felt inside.

Bartholomew: twig that will stand over his head, with green felt leaves, his hands positioned to look like he's praying.

Matthew: Needs two blazer buttons, drinking straw and gold and/or silver sequins. Cut 1 1/2 inches of straw, use this as the scale, tying the shanks of the buttons and adding sequins for the coins.

Thomas: Two or three nails sewn in front of his figure.

James the Less: Two matchsticks, cut and glue together in shape of a small cross and put in his hands (his mother was at the crucifixion).

Simon the Zealot: Trace a small map of Galilee on brown cardstock and mark in Cana, put in front in his hands.

Judas Iscariot: Brown felt made into a little bag filled with silver sequins.

Jude Thaddeus: A scroll, made from the rest of the drinking straw, two pieces 1 3/4 inches, paper that looks like parchment or vellum in 1 1/2 x 3 inches.

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 07 2009 at 1:50pm | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

Jennifer, this post is a treasure trove of resources and ideas! Thank you so much for putting all of this wonderful information on the apostles together. I'm making it a favorite!

Flowing Streams
Back to Top View stellamaris's Profile Search for other posts by stellamaris Visit stellamaris's Homepage

Waverley
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 07 2009 at 4:08pm | IP Logged Quote Waverley

Thanks so much! Just today I was thinking that to change up our liturgical year celebrations we would use the next liturgical year to learn about the apostles. I was actually in the process of putting together a unit study on the Apostles.

One other resource I found that looked fun is the 12 Apostle Activity Kit from www.jodyshandsonlearning.com. Have you or anyone else used this kit?

Birdie
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: May 07 2009 at 4:22pm | IP Logged Quote Birdie

Awesome, awesome, awesome ! Thank you very much Jenn, for putting this all together.
Back to Top View Birdie's Profile Search for other posts by Birdie Visit Birdie's Homepage

RenB
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 18 2009 at 8:52am | IP Logged Quote RenB

Great links Jenn. Thanks, I'll tuck them away for next year.

Our younger ones just completed a study of the apostles during Lent, one we repeat yearly. This year they chose to make round disks similar to those used in the FIAR curriculum with the apostle's shields and symbols drawn on them. They have begun to use the disks on the world map to follow the apostles evangelism journeys, and it has been completely unguided by me. I love watching their eagerness to learn more of their lives. They also produced fun paper dolls after reading each one's biography which we are using on a timeline. One resource we enjoyed on Good Friday seemed to wrap up much for them on the apostles however, and that is a DVD called "Peter" with Omar Shariff starring in the lead role as St. Peter. WOW, what a great epic movie to watch as a family, but take a break half way through for it is very long. All was a wonderful way to end our study, so vivid and each character came to life for the children. It was all so very beautiful to watch this movie and allow it to unfold to bring our faith alive! Thank you to my mother who brought it with her to visit with us during that time. And if you watch that movie, have a kleenez near you. Omar Shariff is fantastic with his facial expressions and emotion.

Mommy to eight, cherished treasures sent to us 22 years apart. Nana to seven lovelies...so far.
"Go East," they said
Back to Top View RenB's Profile Search for other posts by RenB Visit RenB's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version