Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Apostle Feast Days Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 27 2007 at 11:38pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

With the new year upon us, I'm posting all of MaryM's post from this thread. That way we can check our dates and share ideas.

MaryM wrote:
Marybeth wrote:
I am trying to come up with a centerpiece which I can use for all the feast days of the twelve apostles. I want to celebrate their days since they began our Church and so many of our traditions stem from them! I am still thinking. Yes, I am craft challenged!!!!

We are going to focus on the apostles this year, too, and I like your idea of having a centerpiece for their feast days. I've been thinking about this for a couple weeks and have some ideas. Marybeth, I was wondering specifically if you want something that 1)focuses on/holds one apostle at a time or 2)adds to it with each feast day?

One of my ideas is a modification of this fantastic idea Marjorie had for Altoid tins. I'm going to make an Altoid shrine for each apostle. And I have some thoughts for how to use that as a centerpiece as well as the possiblity of mounting it on a board to hang on the wall.

Another thought was to make a holy card holder in the style of a wire photo holder. The holy card for the particular apostle would be featured in the centerpiece on his feast day. The one I recently saw was in a small terra cotta pot. It was similar to this one on the Carol Duvall Show -wire photo holder. She used a tea cup as the holder (which is really cute as well) but any container of your choosing would work fine. The terra cotta pot might be more masculine for the apostles. Anyway you fill it with plaster of paris mix and insert the wires (curled at top to hold card). You could have a single wire in there if you wanted to only highlight one apostle at a time. Or you could have 11 wires (unless you added Matthias) and add to it as you celebrate each feast day. Or have all the apostles already on it and just move them so the celebrated apostle is in the highest position for his feast day (I would stagger the wires in a triangular shape going down). My thought was to decorate the terra cotta pot with painted or tissue paper and glitter tongues of fire or to actually tape cellophane flames in the pot (on the plaster of paris like they are coming up around the wires). An apostle centerpiece to me just needed some flames of Pentecost. Or it could be decorated with the symbols of the apostles.

Another variation along this same line is this one for a single apostle - wire photo holder. At first I thought it looked kind of hokey because I was looking for one in a container, but then it struck me that this would be a great one for St. Peter - "the Rock." You could make it so that different symbols could be slipped into the loop of wire to represent the featured apostle - a large shell for James, a plastic fish for Andrew, a knife for Batholomew, etc.

(I can try to put something together and post a picture in case my verbal description is confusing )

Another idea is the tree with an ornament featuring each apostle - it would be a variation on this idea we're doing for Our Lady's feast days.

All of these ideas could be adapted to be less craft intensive if you wanted it simpler. Like just punching a hole in the holy card and hanging that from a "tree" for the ornament. You can purchase the wire picture holders and just put something that would be a symbol of the apostle at the base.

And this might be helpful for anyone planning for the liturgical year. I had looked on-line for a list of apostle feast days because I was trying to save the time of looking each one up. I didn't find one that was specific to that so I have compiled one and here it is in case anyone wants that info in one place:

Apostle Feast Days
(Matthias - February 24)
James the Lesser – May 3
Philip – May 3
Peter – June 29
Thomas – July 3
James the Greater – July 25
Bartholomew – August 24
Matthew – September 21
Jude (Thaddeaus) – October 28
Simon – October 28
Andrew – November 30
John – December 27

Blessings,

In Catholic Mosaic we used these dates (I've put in the bold the dates in agreement with MaryM's.

St. Peter --- June 29
St. Andrew --- November 30
St. James the Elder --- July 25
St. John --- December 27
St. Matthew --- September 21
St. Philip --- May 1
St. Bartholomew --- August 24
St. Jude Thaddeus --- October 28
St. Simon --- October 28
St. James the Younger --- May 3
St. Thomas --- July 3
St. Matthias --- May 14

I used our church's 2006 liturgical calendar to check the dates. St. Philip's I can see just a slight variation. I'm not sure about the difference in St. Matthias. Anyone know?

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Jan 28 2007 at 12:00am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Cay, I appreciate you bumping this in a new thread. I was sad to see it lost in that thread. Since I posted so late, I didn't think anyone saw it. I would love to brainstorm ideas to celebrate the Apostle feast days since this will be a focus for us this year.

Cay Gibson wrote:
I used our church's 2006 liturgical calendar to check the dates. St. Philip's I can see just a slight variation. I'm not sure about the difference in St. Matthias. Anyone know?

I'm not sure where I originally got Matthias as Feb. 24 but when I google it I see that it would be the old calendar. You are correct in May 14 being the current feast. Philip should be May 3 though. Philip and James, the Lesser share a feast day in all the resources that I can find.

ETA: feast dates arranged in chronological order for the year:
St. James the Younger --- May 3
St. Philip --- May 3
St. Matthias* --- May 14
St. Peter --- June 29
St. Thomas --- July 3
St. James the Elder --- July 25
St. Bartholomew --- August 24
St. Matthew --- September 21
St. Jude Thaddeus --- October 28
St. Simon --- October 28
St. Andrew --- November 30
St. John --- December 27

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 28 2007 at 12:04am | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

MaryM wrote:
Philip should be May 3 though. Philip and James, the Lesser share a feast day in all the resources that I can find.

I would think this arrangement would work better for all of us observing their feast days. Give May 1st to Mary and/or St. Joseph the Worker while pairing the two apostles on May 3.

mom to 5
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

MLoustalot
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Jan 30 2007 at 8:13am | IP Logged Quote MLoustalot

While washing my muffin pan recently I noticed its configuration of 12 "cups" would make a neat shadow box type of thing'y for the 12 Apostles. . you could put their images on the inside of the cups and maybe symbols of their ministries or martyrdoms too. . .

God Bless,
Melinda in SE Texas
Back to Top View MLoustalot's Profile Search for other posts by MLoustalot

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 30 2007 at 9:26am | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Melinda,
What a wonderful, wonderful idea!!!

Oh, the ideas! Let's brainstorm the images we can place inside the cups. This could be almost as good as the O Antiphon Houses.

mom to 5

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 30 2007 at 10:12am | IP Logged Quote Meredith

MLoustalot wrote:
While washing my muffin pan recently I noticed its configuration of 12 "cups" would make a neat shadow box type of thing'y for the 12 Apostles. . you could put their images on the inside of the cups and maybe symbols of their ministries or martyrdoms too. . .

God Bless,
Melinda in SE Texas

What a cool idea!! Thanks for this new thread ladies, I will be following too!

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

kjohnson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 30 2007 at 12:50pm | IP Logged Quote kjohnson

This is such a great idea. I just love the muffin pan. I wonder if you could use a plastic egg carton too. The spaces would be smaller, but you could close it up (kind of like those Resurrection Eggs you see in Christian stores).

This is what I have so far, but there are multiple symbols for each Apostle:

1. Peter-keys

2. James the Lesser-saw (form of martyrdom)

3. John-chalice and snake (his life was spared after drinking from a poisoned chalice) or eagle (symbol of is mystical Gospel)

4. Philip-Tau (T) Cross and basket (his presence at the miracle of the loaves and fist and the cross for his martyrdom)

5. Thomas-lance and carpenter's square (he built the first Christian church in Babylon and India and was martyred with a lance)

6. Bartholomew-knife resting on Bible (he was martyred at knife point). I've also heard that he was the groom at the wedding of Cana

7. Simon-fish (was a fisherman by trade)

8. Andrew-X (the shape of the cross he was crucified upon)

9. James the Greater-scalloped shell (pilgrimage by sea to Spain to spread the Gospel

10. Matthew-moneybag (tax collector by trade)

11. Jude-boat (traveled to Persia)

12. Matthias-broom straw (chosen by lot to replace Judas)

And just as I typed this out, I found this (I can't get my linky thing to work...)

http://www.catholicculture.org/lit/activities/view.cfm?id=30 2

Back to Top View kjohnson's Profile Search for other posts by kjohnson

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 30 2007 at 2:19pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

kjohnson wrote:
This is what I have so far, but there are multiple symbols for each Apostle:

I'm going to add your list. I've added links to the Patron Saints Index, which lists patronages and symbols, also. Of course it's overkill, but I get so wrapped up in the symbols!

1. Peter
    keys, crossed in a letter X
    Inverted Cross, sometimes with two keys
    Patriarchal Cross and two keys
    Cock
    Great church built upon a rock
    fetters, with or without crossed keys

Peter is said to have been crucified at Rome, requesting that the cross be turned upside down, since he didn't think himself worthy to die in the same position as Jesus.

2. James the Lesser
    vertical saw, handle upward (form of martyrdom)
    fuller's bat
    three stones
    windmill
    halberd

He labored in Jerusalem. He was taken to the top of the temple and pushed into mid-air, but was able to stagger to his knees, imploring God to forgive his enemies. The Jews then stones him, and as he lay dying, a fuller dashed out his brains with a fuller's bat. His dead body was sawn asunder.

3. John
    chalice and snake (his life was spared after drinking from a poisoned chalice)
    eagle (symbol of his mystical Gospel)
    John as bishop seated on stone tomb
    serpent and sword (Sword of the Spirit, which is the Word of God)
    eagle rising out of a cauldron of boiling oil (recalls an attempt on his life from Domitian, miraculously delivered)
    scroll containing Gospel of John
    scroll containing Book of Revelation
    grave

4. Philip
    Tau (T) Cross and basket (his presence at the miracle of the loaves and fish and the cross for his martyrdom)
    slender cross and two loaves of bread
    patriarchal cross and a spear
    vertical spear (instrument of martyrdom)
    basket and Tau cross
    knotted cross of wood
    slender cross and carpenter's square
    Tau cross and pilgrim's staff
    pillar and spear
    tall cross and a book
    tall cross and a scroll
    inverted cross
    dragon
    fallen idol

After laboring in Galatia and Phrygia, Philip is said to have suffered a cruel death. When scourging failed to silence him, he was stoned, crucified and finally run through with a spear.

5. Thomas
    lance and carpenter's square (he built the first Christian church in Babylon and India and was martyred with a lance), sometime with several arrows
    spear, lance, several arrows, soemtimes three stones
    leather girdle and three stones

Believed to preach the Gospel in India, where he was stoned, shot down with arrows, and left dying alone, until a pagan priest ran him through with a spear. He is said to have erectd with his own hands a church buildin in Malipur, in Easter India, and hence the square and his patronage to builders.

6. Bartholomew
    knife resting on Bible (he was martyred at knife point). I've also heard that he was the groom at the wedding of Cana)
    3 flaying knives
    human skin and a cross
    scimitar
    branch of the fig tree, mentioned in John 1, 48 (Thought to be Nathaniel)

While preaching in Albanople, he was flayed, cruicifed, and his dead body decapitated with a scimitar.

7. Simon
    fish (was a fisherman by trade)
    fish on a book
    saw, oar saltire, sometimes with primitive battle axe
    fish impaled upon boat hook
    fuller's club
    halberd
    ship

Generally supposed to have been sawn asunder, or else beheaded.

8. Andrew
    X (the shape of the cross he was crucified upon)
    V shaped frame of wood, sometimes with vertical spear
    two fishes crossed
    cross saltire and boat hook
    fisherman's net

9. James the Greater
    scalloped shell (pilgrimage by sea to Spain to spread the Gospel)
    3 escallop shells, two above, one below, the symbol of pilgrimage, usually gold on background of red
    pilgrim's staff, sometimes with pilgrim's wallet, sometimes with pilgrim's hat
    vertical cross-hilted sword and escallop shell
    white horse and white banner

He died 14 years after Christ at the hands of Herod, beheaded by a sword, but the soldier executioner asked forgiveness and became a Christian!

10. Matthew
    moneybag (tax collector by trade) (sometimes 3 bags)
    battle axe
    Tau cross
    dolphin
    iron bound money chest
    halberd
    angel holding an ink-horn

Said to have crucified in Ehtiopian on a Tau cross, and his head severed from his dead body with a battle axe or an halberd.

11. Jude
    sailboat (traveled to Persia) (sometimes with cross-shaped mast)
    carpenter's square and boat hook
    knotted club
    slender inverted cross, club and lance
    inverted cross
    bread and fish

Tireless missionary, visited Arabia, Syria and Mesopotamia. Exact manner of death unknown.

12. Matthias
    broom straw (chosen by lot to replace Judas)
    open Bible and double battle axe
    sword or scimitar
    lance and three stones
    book and halberd
    battle axe and two stones

Said to have been stoned and then beheaded while working in Judaea.

13. kjohnson wrote:
    And just as I typed this out, I found this (I can't get my linky thing to work...)

Apostle Cookies. I always type in the URL code, as I can never make the link thingy to work.

There was a method to my madness. I was being so thorough because I wanted to share this great symbol from With Christ Through the Year by Rev. Bernard Strasser, O.S.B., illustrated by Sister M.A. Justina Knapp, O.S.B. There are no explanations for each symbol, so you might have to piece some of the information together

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

kjohnson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 30 2007 at 2:22pm | IP Logged Quote kjohnson

JennGM wrote:
Of course it's overkill, but I get so wrapped up in the symbols!

I *love* overkill!   Jenn, this is great.

Back to Top View kjohnson's Profile Search for other posts by kjohnson

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 30 2007 at 2:27pm | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

I love this symbol! Thanks, Jenn.

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Feb 05 2007 at 2:04pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

If you were going to use the muffin tin for a shadowbox display, those symbols would be perfect to cut out and adhere to the inside of the muffin tin cups as a background if you didn't want to use an image of the apostle. I was also thinking one could paint the muffin pan (gold maybe) with the insides of each cup being a color as well - red for martyrs (which most were) and some other color for St. John.

Both the muffin tin and the egg carton idea Katherine suggested lend themselves to a hands-on treasure box kind of activity which would be different than using it for display. You could place various objects in each of the cups that represent each apostle. For example a medal of the saint, several objects that are symbols for that saint, a small piece of colored cloth to represent their death (red for martyrdom & ?? for natural death). Then after studying about each apostle on his feast day you could have the children pull out the objects in the cup and explain why each was there - as an aid to narrate about the apostle.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 05 2007 at 2:09pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

MaryM wrote:
If you were going to use the muffin tin for a shadowbox display, those symbols would be perfect to cut out and adhere to the inside of the muffin tin cups as a background if you didn't want to use an image of the apostle. I was also thinking one could paint the muffin pan (gold maybe) with the insides of each cup being a color as well - red for martyrs (which most were) and some other color for St. John.

Both the muffin tin and the egg carton idea Katherine suggested lend themselves to a hands-on treasure box kind of activity which would be different than using it for display. You could place various objects in each of the cups that represent each apostle. For example a medal of the saint, several objects that are symbols for that saint, a small piece of colored cloth to represent their death (red for martyrdom & ?? for natural death). Then after studying about each apostle on his feast day you could have the children pull out the objects in the cup and explain why each was there - as an aid to narrate about the apostle.

How about a map of the Old World with symbols marking where each Apostle traveled?

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 05 2007 at 2:14pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

I'm loving this.
I have an egg carton crate on the counter (might get switched if I locate a muffin tin--I don't want to use the only one I have) and the apostle symbol sheet printed out. We're ready to go.

Thanks for the *overkill*, Jenn---gives us more to feast on. ---and for all the ideas everyone.

mom to 5

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Feb 05 2007 at 2:18pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

JennGM wrote:

How about a map of the Old World with symbols marking where each Apostle traveled?

I was thinking of that myself - do you have a good listing of the places where each apostle went and preached?

Our Domestic Church

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Feb 05 2007 at 2:21pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Cay Gibson wrote:
I have an egg carton crate on the counter (might get switched if I locate a muffin tin--I don't want to use the only one I have)

A thrift store would be a good place to find an old one and if you paint it it wouldn't matter if it were scratched or burned, because the paint would spruce it up.

Our Domestic Church

Waverley
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 05 2007 at 5:29pm | IP Logged Quote Waverley

OK, one clarification: Should I get out my Catholic Mosaic and change Philip to May 3? Do the other days stay the same?

Waverley
Back to Top View Waverley's Profile Search for other posts by Waverley

msclavel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 06 2007 at 5:58am | IP Logged Quote msclavel

This is soooo cool! Wow, I am blown away by you creative ladies. I can't wait to use these ideas.
Back to Top View msclavel's Profile Search for other posts by msclavel

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: May 03 2007 at 12:25pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Today is the first of the Apostle feast day of the calendar year - Sts. Philip and James. We are working on our Altoid shrines.

I have a question. I'm going to be using a red background for all the Apostles who were martyrs and need a color background for the non-martyr (St. John) as well. There really isn't a particular color associated with that - would you do green or white? Any other thoughts? Not that I need to know right away since that feast day isn't for awhile yet.

I'll post pictures when we are done with our first two shrines.

Our Domestic Church

MaryatHome
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: May 03 2007 at 8:25pm | IP Logged Quote MaryatHome

Another found item many people have around their homes are those metal lids from frozen juice concentrate cans. They are free, flat, smooth, paintable, and glueable. We just use a nail to punch a hole for hanging.

I have used them for Cub Scout totems, Christmas tree ornaments (using illustrations from old cards), Jesse Tree ornaments (using felt cutouts), and to keep birds out of the fruit trees.

I would think those nice circular emblems would work on that platform, as would felt cutouts of symbols, for ornament-type displays.

Mary
Back to Top View MaryatHome's Profile Search for other posts by MaryatHome

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: May 04 2007 at 1:06pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

MaryM wrote:
One of my ideas is a modification of this fantastic idea Marjorie had for Altoid tins. I'm going to make an Altoid shrine for each apostle. And I have some thoughts for how to use that as a centerpiece as well as the possiblity of mounting it on a board to hang on the wall.

We finished our first shrines yesterday for their feast day.

Our Domestic Church

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version