Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Apostle Feast Days Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 04 2007 at 6:00pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

VERY cool shrines, Mare! Thanks for sharing with us... I'll file this away for next year as we've got our Apostle's Bush for Pentecost!

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

CathinCoffeland
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 06 2007 at 2:14pm | IP Logged Quote CathinCoffeland

The shrines look great!

we are going to use white for John since that is what is on our calendar for the liturgical color of the day

we made little flip books with info about the saints taht fit into our golden muffin tin- ill try to snap a pic.

also- mary g. what is an apostles bush?

maggie

Back to Top View CathinCoffeland's Profile Search for other posts by CathinCoffeland Visit CathinCoffeland's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: May 06 2007 at 6:43pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

CathinCoffeland wrote:
we are going to use white for John since that is what is on our calendar for the liturgical color of the day
Thanks - that is what I was thinking would be best, too.

CathinCoffeland wrote:
also- mary g. what is an apostles bush?
I'm not Mary G. but this is a project we made together last week. She started calling it the Apostle bush because she said it looked like a burning bush (we were looking for symbolism). Anyway it is just the wire picture holder I described earlier in this thread. Here is a picture of the process and the finished product.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 08 2007 at 10:05pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Maggie -- here's the "apostles' bush" that I just finished today....

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

CathinCoffeland
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 09 2007 at 12:44am | IP Logged Quote CathinCoffeland

MaryG and Mary M I like them! There is no way ill have all 12 apostle figures and booklet made before pentacost- I think im going to adapt your idea for pentacost but instead of wire holders ill hang the holy cards below the flames/dove i hang up.

ill just keep making apsotles through out the year until i have 12

ive got the books made for philip and james though and posted on my blog.

Maggie

http://craftyincoffeeland.blogspot.com/
Back to Top View CathinCoffeland's Profile Search for other posts by CathinCoffeland Visit CathinCoffeland's Homepage

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 09 2007 at 7:52am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Maggie -- those are really cool....I like the idea of the booklets and the dolls make it very kid-friendly ... I was thinking if I start doing the apostles as their feast days come up ... the next one being Matthias on the 14th, or probably start with St. Peter on June 29 . Anyway, if we do them as their feasts roll around, we'd have all the dolls and books done by NEXT Pentecost adn they'd really have some time immersed in the apostles (especially the quieter ones who we don't much about -- could be really fun to do rabbit trails on those guys ....) hmmmm, MaryM, sounds like a great Catholic History Fair project!

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: May 09 2007 at 8:52am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Mary G wrote:
... I was thinking if I start doing the apostles as their feast days come up ...

That is what we are doing with the Altoid box shrines - one at a time as the feast day comes around - it is very manageable since they are pretty spread out. I made my listing of Apostle Feast days in order of calendar date for that reason. Here it is again from earlier in the thread for anyone interested:

MaryM wrote:
Apostle Feast Days
James the Lesser – May 3
Philip – May 3
Mathias - May 14
Peter – June 29
Thomas – July 3
James the Greater – July 25
Bartholomew – August 24
Matthew – September 21
Jude (Thaddeaus) – October 28
Simon – October 28
Andrew – November 30
John – December 27

And Maggie, your Apostle display is awesome.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

glinNC
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 09 2007 at 7:44pm | IP Logged Quote glinNC

I love this apostle bush! What creativity!! I would love to duplicate this ... I downloaded some pictures from the Internet for each saint, but I'm curious as to what exactly you have on the back of each card besides their feast days? Thanks in advance.
Blessings,
Ginny
Back to Top View glinNC's Profile Search for other posts by glinNC

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 09 2007 at 8:55pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Ginny, no magic -- just shamelessly "stolen" from JennGM's post as quoted here:

Quote:

I'm going to add your list. I've added links to the Patron Saints Index, which lists patronages and symbols, also. Of course it's overkill, but I get so wrapped up in the symbols!

Peter
keys, crossed in a letter X
Inverted Cross, sometimes with two keys
Patriarchal Cross and two keys
Cock
Great church built upon a rock
fetters, with or without crossed keys

Peter is said to have been crucified at Rome, requesting that the cross be turned upside down, since he didn't think himself worthy to die in the same position as Jesus.

James the Lesser
vertical saw, handle upward (form of martyrdom)
fuller's bat
three stones
windmill
halberd

He labored in Jerusalem. He was taken to the top of the temple and pushed into mid-air, but was able to stagger to his knees, imploring God to forgive his enemies. The Jews then stones him, and as he lay dying, a fuller dashed out his brains with a fuller's bat. His dead body was sawn asunder.

John
chalice and snake (his life was spared after drinking from a poisoned chalice)
eagle (symbol of his mystical Gospel)
John as bishop seated on stone tomb
serpent and sword (Sword of the Spirit, which is the Word of God)
eagle rising out of a cauldron of boiling oil (recalls an attempt on his life from Domitian, miraculously delivered)
scroll containing Gospel of John
scroll containing Book of Revelation
grave

Philip
Tau (T) Cross and basket (his presence at the miracle of the loaves and fish and the cross for his martyrdom)
slender cross and two loaves of bread
patriarchal cross and a spear
vertical spear (instrument of martyrdom)
basket and Tau cross
knotted cross of wood
slender cross and carpenter's square
Tau cross and pilgrim's staff
pillar and spear
tall cross and a book
tall cross and a scroll
inverted cross
dragon
fallen idol

After laboring in Galatia and Phrygia, Philip is said to have suffered a cruel death. When scourging failed to silence him, he was stoned, crucified and finally run through with a spear.

Thomas
lance and carpenter's square (he built the first Christian church in Babylon and India and was martyred with a lance), sometime with several arrows
spear, lance, several arrows, soemtimes three stones
leather girdle and three stones

Believed to preach the Gospel in India, where he was stoned, shot down with arrows, and left dying alone, until a pagan priest ran him through with a spear. He is said to have erectd with his own hands a church buildin in Malipur, in Easter India, and hence the square and his patronage to builders.

Bartholomew
knife resting on Bible (he was martyred at knife point). I've also heard that he was the groom at the wedding of Cana)
3 flaying knives
human skin and a cross
scimitar
branch of the fig tree, mentioned in John 1, 48 (Thought to be Nathaniel)

While preaching in Albanople, he was flayed, cruicifed, and his dead body decapitated with a scimitar.

Simon
fish (was a fisherman by trade)
fish on a book
saw, oar saltire, sometimes with primitive battle axe
fish impaled upon boat hook
fuller's club
halberd
ship

Generally supposed to have been sawn asunder, or else beheaded.

Andrew
X (the shape of the cross he was crucified upon)
V shaped frame of wood, sometimes with vertical spear
two fishes crossed
cross saltire and boat hook
fisherman's net

James the Greater
scalloped shell (pilgrimage by sea to Spain to spread the Gospel)
3 escallop shells, two above, one below, the symbol of pilgrimage, usually gold on background of red
pilgrim's staff, sometimes with pilgrim's wallet, sometimes with pilgrim's hat
vertical cross-hilted sword and escallop shell
white horse and white banner

He died 14 years after Christ at the hands of Herod, beheaded by a sword, but the soldier executioner asked forgiveness and became a Christian!

Matthew
moneybag (tax collector by trade) (sometimes 3 bags)
battle axe
Tau cross
dolphin
iron bound money chest
halberd
angel holding an ink-horn

Said to have crucified in Ehtiopian on a Tau cross, and his head severed from his dead body with a battle axe or an halberd.

Jude
sailboat (traveled to Persia) (sometimes with cross-shaped mast)
carpenter's square and boat hook
knotted club
slender inverted cross, club and lance
inverted cross
bread and fish

Tireless missionary, visited Arabia, Syria and Mesopotamia. Exact manner of death unknown.

Matthias
broom straw (chosen by lot to replace Judas)
open Bible and double battle axe
sword or scimitar
lance and three stones
book and halberd
battle axe and two stones

Said to have been stoned and then beheaded while working in Judaea.
which you can also find on the 1st "page" of this posting....

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 09 2007 at 8:56pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Another thing that's cool about these saints, and pulling images from the Web, is you can incorporate "artist study" with this activity ... many of mine happen to be El Greco's (who I didn't know did a bunch of apostle pictures!)

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Feb 26 2010 at 2:37pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Bumping this old thread because I just saw a great idea to add to it - from Renee at Go East They Said.

The Twelve Chosen Ones
More of The Twelve Chosen Ones

Very cute!

Our Domestic Church

Lacy
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 26 2010 at 4:34pm | IP Logged Quote Lacy

I am drooling over everything here! What great ideas! I am soooo lucky I found all you ladies!

Cogs are turning in my head about some apostle printables... hmmm...

Lacy
Catholic Icing
Back to Top View Lacy's Profile Search for other posts by Lacy Visit Lacy's Homepage

Lacy
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 16 2010 at 8:19pm | IP Logged Quote Lacy

Ok. My last post said the cogs in my head were turning with some apostle printables, and today they became a reality

I already shared this link in the new thread about apostle felt cutouts, but decided to post it here as well:

Last Supper Craft

You ladies inspired me to do this! This idea stemmed from the idea in this thread to use an egg carton with a 12 apostles craft. Thanks for all your inspiration!

Waverley
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 16 2010 at 11:33pm | IP Logged Quote Waverley

Amazing! Thanks so much for sharing!

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Jan 10 2013 at 8:13pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

This old thread is a favorite of mine. I just came across this cute 12 apostle craft project from Daniellesplace.com and thought it should be added here.

Our Domestic Church

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version