Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: Homeschool Workboxes.... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Lori
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 23 2009 at 4:04pm | IP Logged Quote Lori

I did a variation of this, too...I used 5 laundry baskets and labeled them with color names (written in that color sharpie, too)

Then I did a Mon-Fri chart with the 3 youngest kiddos' names on it, and filled in the color rotation.

The baskets were each filled with 5-6 educational and fun things (magnetic letters with word cards, lacing beads, number rods, dominoes, matching cards, mazes, etc), trying to balance it out between math oriented and language oriented stuff and include some fine motor stuff each day.

My goal was to have them do each item for a little bit, but more often they just did their favorite things out of the basket for a longer period of time. I think numbering the individual items in plastic bags would have been a good addition to my system.

I mixed the combinations up between the baskets every couple of weeks, and then added new things/took things out every quarter or so. It worked to keep them occupied while I was doing one-on-one phonics and math with each of them.
Back to Top View Lori's Profile Search for other posts by Lori

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 23 2009 at 5:47pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

For the last couple of months I have been doing a very simplified version of this (had not heard of the workboxes - it is a cool system) - I only do it for my 4 year old who has just turned 5. He likes to have his activities set and gets frustrated if he has to wait around for me. I just have an Office Depot plastic box - I use large ziplocs or envelopes and put all the activities in these if they fit. I put in all games, work etc. I have a written list that I stick on the top of the box and he crosses things off as he does them eg today he had the following:

Independent Work (all games etc are in the box):
- Spelltime
- electric circuit set
- lego creation
- 4 pages of Explode the Code
- listen to Jim Weiss cd

Work with Mom:
- Math - Horizons Lesson 46 (with any manipulatives in envelope)
- Reading - sight word cards, 5 Bob books to read together
- Read alouds for the day - various Lent

He is expected to tidy everything away into his box as the activity is finished. At night I just quickly change out worksheets and games.

It has been working well for us.
-

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 24 2009 at 8:25am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

Has anybody tried this who has a child with ADHD and has it helped? I'm reading with great interest, but I have not read the book.
I wanted to add that I have come up with a relatively inexpensive alternative. It is inexpensive because I already have the main element - a wooden 2 shelf shoe holder. I think it is designed to sit in the bottom of a closet or on the shelf. Anyway, when I buy canned goods at the local grocery they are often in cardboard trays. So one tray would hold about 12 cans of corn, or beans or whatever. I've saved enough of those cardboard trays that I have 12. I put the wooden shelf on a table and it will hold 3 trays on top, 3 in the middle and 3 on the bottom. That's only 9 but it's a start. The cardboard trays are all white so it doesn't look bad at all. Just an idea.

Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

CandaceC
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 24 2009 at 8:48am | IP Logged Quote CandaceC

Becky,

I, myself, have not read the book either. But, on the FIAR boards, the gal there who had the author come to her homeschool group and speak said that she specializes in special needs children with this system. She is even giving "consultations" to my friend, Leslie, who is using this with a 2 year old down syndrome child.

I'm not trying to talk you into getting the book (as I haven't read it either!) But it might be a consideration since she does specifically speak to doing this with different areas of special needs from what I've read.

Oh, and we are only doing 6 activity bags right now...I don't think we could do 12 if we wanted to at this point! So, don't feel badly if you can't do the 12.

His Mercy Is New
Back to Top View CandaceC's Profile Search for other posts by CandaceC Visit CandaceC's Homepage

Babs
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 25 2009 at 8:09am | IP Logged Quote Babs

I was so excited when I heard about this system. I already had some of the iris drawer carts so I read the book and made the tags for the drawers. Because of the wear and tear the tags would receive on the drawers I laminated them. Now the velcro will not stick to the tags. Does anyone have any ideas on how to attach them or know how to adhere something that is laminated?

God Bless,
Barb
Back to Top View Babs's Profile Search for other posts by Babs

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 26 2009 at 7:18am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

Could you try super glue? I'm assuming that when you try to seperate the velcro it pulls the whole thing off. The only other thing that comes to mind is to forget the velcro and try little pieces of magnet, cut from the strip magnets. You would have to attach something on the other part that the magnet would stick to though. Something like a canning jar lid comes to mind, but that is really big.

I went ahead and ordered the e-book. I'm such a sucker for this sort of thing! I think that while we are currently doing ... okay... maybe a change like this would give us a little boost to finish up the year. We start getting a little sluggish about this time.

Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

missionfamily
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 26 2009 at 8:16am | IP Logged Quote missionfamily

I was inspired by this conversation and a friend helped me do a bit of digging to get a visual that might work for my house. I have not read very much at all...more or less just took the thought and ran with it, but you can see my version here if you like.
Like you Becky, things were feeling a little stale and I needed some motivation to keep going through the last weeks of my pregnancy. The kids used the baskets faithfully and joyfully all day yesterday. I am quite inspired by the result.

Footprints on the Fridge
Back to Top View missionfamily's Profile Search for other posts by missionfamily Visit missionfamily's Homepage

CandaceC
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 26 2009 at 6:59pm | IP Logged Quote CandaceC

Colleen - those baskets are gorgeous! Wow...so pretty!

HERE is a really cute set of workboxes.

I'm *thinking* of doing one rack with 12 boxes...and just one ROW for each child...still thinking. I just don't care for the ziplock bags. They are ending up all over the floor, I can't fit things into them, etc.

His Mercy Is New
Back to Top View CandaceC's Profile Search for other posts by CandaceC Visit CandaceC's Homepage

JuliaT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 26 2009 at 9:03pm | IP Logged Quote JuliaT

We have finished two weeks of workboxes and they are a resounding success! My kids love them!

My goals for using the workboxes have been met so we will continue with them. My kids are focused and occupied for the whole 3 hours in the morning. We are getting done the subjects/activities that we have had trouble completing in the past. We are using 10 workbags and it is taking us 2/12 to 3 ours to finish them.

The kids now look forward to school so they can see what is in their box.   

Blessings,
Julia
mom of 3 (9,8,6)
Back to Top View JuliaT's Profile Search for other posts by JuliaT

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 04 2009 at 2:48pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Becky is asking for feedback about your system of workboxes in this new workbox thread.

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

mayappleridge
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: May 05 2009 at 7:14am | IP Logged Quote mayappleridge

We did a similar thing but with canvas bags. This might toddler proof it a bit more and works well for a smaller home.

You could hang the bags on hooks on the wall.
Back to Top View mayappleridge's Profile Search for other posts by mayappleridge Visit mayappleridge's Homepage

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 06 2009 at 5:08pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

Late as usual here .... but I was wondering if the book is necessary to implementing the system? From the talk here and the various links, it seems pretty cut and dry. Is there an underlying philosophy needing to be understood?

Thanks.

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

CandaceC
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 07 2009 at 2:23pm | IP Logged Quote CandaceC

Molly,

I personally have not read the book and know lots of us who haven't and are implementing the workboxes.

However, over on the FIAR board (someone posted the link somewhere) some of the ladies are talking about specific ideas and other things in the book that are very helpful. I think the book actually has a LOT of various resources in it, so it's helpful in lots of ways, from what I hear.

I do hope to get the book at some point, but haven't yet and we're having great luck with the boxes!

His Mercy Is New

Waverley
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 09 2009 at 10:50am | IP Logged Quote Waverley

Babs,

Do you want your tags to be removable? If so, the tacky gum you buy in the office section works for holding laminated items to plastic, walls, etc. I'm not sure it would hold a laminated tag to canvas.

Bridget
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 09 2009 at 10:57am | IP Logged Quote Bridget

teachingmyown wrote:
Late as usual here .... but I was wondering if the book is necessary to implementing the system? From the talk here and the various links, it seems pretty cut and dry. Is there an underlying philosophy needing to be understood?

Thanks.

The book has details that are very helpful if you have an LD or Autistic child. Then the details may be more important in implementation.

The author developed the system for her Autistic son. From reading the book, it appears that she has a wealth of knowledge in that area. Along the way she helped friends set up the system in their homes and discovered that all children did well with workboxes.

Back to Top View Bridget's Profile Search for other posts by Bridget Visit Bridget's Homepage

Martha in VA
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 25 2009 at 9:06am | IP Logged Quote Martha in VA

I'm curious is anyone is using this system with an older child (10 or up) who has learning issues? I'd love to give it a whirl with one of my older ones who really needs her learning time to be divided into very small portions or she gets overwhelmed.

Martha in VA

Our Family Blog
Back to Top View Martha in VA's Profile Search for other posts by Martha in VA Visit Martha in VA's Homepage

Mamamoon
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: May 25 2009 at 9:32am | IP Logged Quote Mamamoon

sorry if this was already discussed, but do you replenish the work each night, thinking ahead and mapping it out for each child. that can seem like a challenge in itself. i am liking this though, just trying to visualize.

CandaceC
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 25 2009 at 9:36am | IP Logged Quote CandaceC

Martha,

I personally cannot answer your question, but among all the links I know there are FIAR moms of older children using the boxes.

From what I've read, those moms are having as much success as those of us with youngers.

Off the top of my head, here are a few moms who are using these with older kids.

Leslie's workbox posts

Leslie's list of workbox items (by age level)

Workbox Yahoo Group -- Jessica from FIAR boards started this group, and she has a large family with olders and youngers.

His Mercy Is New

CandaceC
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 25 2009 at 9:38am | IP Logged Quote CandaceC

Yes, I refill the workboxes each night. It is a lot of work at first...but the longer you use the system the easier it gets.

I know there are planning sheets in the manual (from what I've read) that might be helpful to some!

His Mercy Is New

krystab
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: May 25 2009 at 11:39am | IP Logged Quote krystab

I refill the workboxes every night. If you are a morning person you can do it in the morning, but I don't get up early enough.
I don't plan ahead, but I do use two purchased lesson plans to fill the boxes. Several keep the same work from day to day. I just change the number and my assignment post it. So those are easy!
The ones that take me the longest are ones that need more explanation for the older one. But this extra writing saves her from having to wait on me explain it because I am working with one of the younger two. They both are still mostly work with mom, so it is way easier to have my 9yo as independent as possible.
It does take a while to fill at first...took forever the first time. But each time it gets faster! Plus the time taken here saves so much time during school you will actually save time. Plus school is just so much smoother now!
Krysta
Back to Top View krystab's Profile Search for other posts by krystab Visit krystab's Homepage

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version