Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: Homeschool Workboxes.... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Mamamoon
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 25 2009 at 11:51am | IP Logged Quote Mamamoon

so they actually have 12 "things" to do each day. in your experience, do they get to everything?? or do you just rollover what they don't get to~

CandaceC
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 25 2009 at 12:02pm | IP Logged Quote CandaceC

I have not worked up to 12 yet...though I know some people who start right off with 12 boxes.

Right now my girls are doing 7 activities and my 4yr old boy is doing 5-6.

If I put ALL our 3 R's stuff in there, I'd easily have 12 items, but some of that we do together and it's not put in the box.

And yes, we get to all that I put in...I think almost everyone I know doing the boxes does the boxes in one day and doesn't extend it into the week.

His Mercy Is New
Back to Top View CandaceC's Profile Search for other posts by CandaceC Visit CandaceC's Homepage

krystab
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: May 25 2009 at 1:20pm | IP Logged Quote krystab

We almost always do 12 things in one day. Sometimes the oldest has one left.
They aren't all big things and I split up things that could go into one box into two. Like for math I put the math workbook in one and the flashcards in another. Sometimes there is a fun activity like legos. And often one is listening to one track of a CD.
12 seems like a lot, but you need to keep the activities in each as short as possible to keep them motivated. We get way more done than we used to.
Krysta
Back to Top View krystab's Profile Search for other posts by krystab Visit krystab's Homepage

JuliaT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 25 2009 at 6:19pm | IP Logged Quote JuliaT

I only use 10 boxes. I put in the 3R's as well as extras. It takes us usually 2 1/2 to 3 hrs. to go through them, which is the amount of time that we have in the morning. It works out very well.

Blessings,
Julia
mom of 3(9,8,6)
Back to Top View JuliaT's Profile Search for other posts by JuliaT

pattonhouse6
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: May 25 2009 at 7:39pm | IP Logged Quote pattonhouse6

We have been using our version of the workboxes for about three weeks now, and we love, love, love them! I have dd-14-8th, dd-12-7th, ds-6-K/1st and dd-5-K/1st (and Ricky-1-cute and into everything!). I was leary about using the workboxes with middle schoolers, thinking it might be too elementary for them, but not so...the girls really like it.

Here's what our workboxes are like...one file box with a lid has hanging files number 1-12 for two children (facing opposite directions) and a few of the wider capacity hanging files in between to hold larger books. I load the hanging files with the assignments and activities, and the kids progress through the box, moving the hanging file to the back of their section as they finish each assignment. They are done when they get back to #1. I also have a hanging file for each for completed work and a couple for my teacher guides and stickers.

Some of the activities (aside from the normal subjects) that I include are practice instruments and music theory, D.E.A.R (drop everything and read) time, craft time, puzzle books, typing, recess and math activities. Eventually, I'll add in music and art appreciation.

We have not had too much trouble getting through the workbox in a day, but I am pretty flexible about letting one continue her/his box the next day if it is needed.

We have a four day school week, but have loaded the boxes for the kids to work through a fifth day over Friday and the weekend. This Friday/weekend workbox has more "fun" activities and games, especially for the littles.

Anyway, I hope this is helpful to you.

Blessings,

Karen
+AMDG+

Karen Patton
...wife to Dave and mom to Katie-14, Missy-12, DJ-6, Janie-5 and Ricky-1

Homeschooling in Central Texas and loving it!
Back to Top View pattonhouse6's Profile Search for other posts by pattonhouse6 Visit pattonhouse6's Homepage

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 25 2009 at 8:51pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

Bridget wrote:
teachingmyown wrote:
Late as usual here .... but I was wondering if the book is necessary to implementing the system? From the talk here and the various links, it seems pretty cut and dry. Is there an underlying philosophy needing to be understood?

Thanks.

The book has details that are very helpful if you have an LD or Autistic child. Then the details may be more important in implementation.

The author developed the system for her Autistic son. From reading the book, it appears that she has a wealth of knowledge in that area. Along the way she helped friends set up the system in their homes and discovered that all children did well with workboxes.

Thanks Bridget. Sue Patrick is going to have a booth at the huge homeschool convention not far from me in a couple of weeks. It will be nice to give it a closer look.

I am still having a hard time convincing myself that this will work for us.

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

krystab
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: May 25 2009 at 9:23pm | IP Logged Quote krystab

pattonhouse6 wrote:

Here's what our workboxes are like...one file box with a lid has hanging files number 1-12 for two children (facing opposite directions) and a few of the wider capacity hanging files in between to hold larger books.

Love this idea! We use clear file boxes now, just didn't think about putting the hanging files into them...Duh! We are using clear plastic envelopes with string ties and they are a little time consuming to fill.
I think I will also start using one for me to put their work for at least the week in and teachers manuals. That way I only have to look the the files each day, instead of dragging all the lesson plans and books on and off shelves all week.
Thanks,
Krysta
Back to Top View krystab's Profile Search for other posts by krystab Visit krystab's Homepage

pattonhouse6
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: May 26 2009 at 4:55am | IP Logged Quote pattonhouse6

krystab wrote:

I think I will also start using one for me to put their work for at least the week in and teachers manuals. That way I only have to look the the files each day, instead of dragging all the lesson plans and books on and off shelves all week.
Thanks,
Krysta

Yep...good idea. I have already set up the full-year notebook (FYN) system for each child. The two systems work very well together. FYN gets the long-term planning worked out, while the workboxes take care of the nitty-gritty day to day. I do love having all their school stuff in one file box (well technically two file boxes, with a couple notebooks on the shelf). I do keep teacher guides and answer keys in the file boxes in my "mommy" hanging files.

Blessings,

Karen
+AMDG+
Back to Top View pattonhouse6's Profile Search for other posts by pattonhouse6 Visit pattonhouse6's Homepage

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 26 2009 at 6:56am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

I love that idea Krysta! I struggle with having time each day, morning or evening,to fill the boxes. I was thinking about how I could have everything somewhat ready for the entire week to make it a little easier.
Karen, could you elaborate a little on your FYN system and how it works with the workboxes?

Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

pattonhouse6
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: May 26 2009 at 8:25am | IP Logged Quote pattonhouse6

Check out Full-Year Notebook System. (I hope the link works.)

I have tweaked the system a bit to work for me (what can I say...I'm a tweaker. LOL

The general idea is that the student has a paper for every assignment. These papers are filed into a notebook by the week they are to be completed.

Here's what I do...warning...this sounds super complicated to set up, but once it is set up, it flows effortlessly. My kids and I love it.

Each student has two notebooks, #1 a really fat one for the full year and #2 a smaller one for the week. In #1, there is a numbered divider for each week we have school (so 36 dividers) and a completed work section with dividers by subject. In #2, there is a divider for each school day (so 5 dividers) and a completed work divider. I also have a place-keeper divider in #1, so I can flip right to where we are in the year. I also personalized the color and style of the label page that slides into the front and side pockets of the binder.

Now, for the assignments...(I do everything on the computer and print, but you could hand write each page.) Each assignment gets a paper to load into the notebook. If the student will need to write out answers (like math or Latin), I print on notebook paper. If it is reading or discussion or computer work, I print on colored paper (child specific). The page might look like this...

Algebra 1
Assignment 1
Lesson 1

or

Science
Assignment 1
Read pp 1-5 and answer questions 1-5 on p 5.

I number the assignments in case the sheets get mixed up.
Some subjects (especially for the Littles) are workbooks. I tear out the pages and file them into the notebook, without printing a separate assignment sheet. And, some assignments are recurring, like practice piano, or are not super structured, like reading practice. I laminated a sheet for these and keep it in Notebook #2 and reuse.

So behind each tab in Notebook #1, there might be 5 math papers, three science papers, four Latin papers, and so on. At the beginning of the week, I take the week's worth of work from #1 and file each page behind the appropriate day divider in #2. I also take the completed work from #2 and grade, record and file into the subject divider in #1.

Then, merging into the workboxes...each morning (or the evening before), I take the assignment sheets (and any that are laminated) and file each into a separate numbered hanging files in the "workbox" file box.

OK...now that your head is spinning and you are totally confused. I will say that it took me a good little chunk of time last summer to get everything set up, but it does not take more than a couple minutes during the week to switch out the notebooks and load the workboxes each day. All the hard and time-consuming work is done. I started using this system because I was frustrated with feeling like I was always planning at the last minute, and the kids were always waiting on me to give them assignments. It also seemed like we were never getting to the funner activities because I would run out of time and steam before I got to the planning of them. This system has solved those issues.

Please, feel free to ask more questions if something needs more clarification.

Blessings,

Karen
+AMDG+

...wife to Dave and mom to 5dc

pattonhouse6
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: May 26 2009 at 8:54am | IP Logged Quote pattonhouse6

One more thing about the FYN...if we don't get to everything for the day, it is easy to shift to the next day. Sometimes we take more than a week to finish the week, depending on what is going on. We are super flexible, and the FYN gives us the ability to pick up where we left off. There are no dates assigned to anything, so I don't have the perception of being "behind."

Dave was deployed most of the last year, so the kids and I took many needed "sanity" breaks. I'm expecting we will stay on target a little bit better next year.

Blessings,

Karen
+AMDG+

...wife to Dave and mom to 5 dc

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 26 2009 at 9:12am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

Ooooooooo, the planner in me is just delighted with this whole idea! I'm thinking I could even plan in some specific fun activities for the workboxes, which is actually the hardest part for me. I find myself thinking "OK, when did ds do pattern blocks (or whatever) last?" or "what sort of fun thing can I put in the workbox after math for dd?". It's fun to be creative, but sometimes, at the end of the day, I have little creativity left. Over the summer I could get creative and plan for the whole year. Hmmm, thinking seriously about this. Maybe I'll start a new thread - sorry to hi-jack this one!

Mamamoon
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: May 26 2009 at 9:23am | IP Logged Quote Mamamoon

so the incentive is that the child sees her work being completed, and there is fun stuff in the lower boxes?

CandaceC
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 26 2009 at 9:40am | IP Logged Quote CandaceC

There are lots of benefits, one being that the child can see what is finished and what he has ahead of him until he's "done."

I mix in fun things...they aren't all at the end...I mix it all up to make it interesting and new each day.

It also helps with building independence in certain subjects that might have been harder before to get your child to do independently.

Also, it's great for following directions...not everything do you WANT your child to do independently, ya know? But you can write little directions and put them in the box, which my oldest is loving! It has helped her in reading the directions by herself and to actually read for understanding.

His Mercy Is New
Back to Top View CandaceC's Profile Search for other posts by CandaceC Visit CandaceC's Homepage

pattonhouse6
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: May 26 2009 at 9:41am | IP Logged Quote pattonhouse6

Mamamoon wrote:
so the incentive is that the child sees her work being completed, and there is fun stuff in the lower boxes?

Yes...I intersperse activities that the kids enjoy to motivate them to move through their boxes. I do put a time limit on some of the free activities. For example, Recess for 20 minutes or Free Reading for 30 minutes. The kids know to set the timer for these activities and get back to their workboxes when the timer goes off.

...wife to Dave ('92) and mom to Katie ('95), Missy ('96), DJ ('02), Janie ('04) and Ricky ('08)

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 26 2009 at 12:34pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

This is almost embarrassing to ask, but...

Is this system working for any of you who are organizationally challenged, especially if you have ADD tendencies? I want to know if this is the type of thing that will grab me and revolutionize my homeschool or end up another 'system' that I won't use. I know no one else can assure me of my success. I am just hoping to hear inspirational stories from like-minded moms!

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

pattonhouse6
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: May 26 2009 at 12:54pm | IP Logged Quote pattonhouse6

Hi Molly -- I like to think I am pretty organized, but most of the time I have so little time that I feel like I am running around like a chicken with my head cut off, with no focus at all. I think the workboxes help me focus on pulling together 12 activities for each child. For whatever reason, it seems more doable to me than before. I will say, the idea of having four shoe racks and 48 shoe boxes just about sent me to the loony bin. All that clutter would have not have been good for me. (Not that we are uncluttered here, I just cannot imagine adding that much more to my mess!) LOL The hanging file boxes have been a manageable adaptation of the idea that is working for me and mine.

HTH

...wife to Dave ('92) and mom to Katie ('95), Missy ('96), DJ ('02), Janie ('04) and Ricky ('08)

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 26 2009 at 1:02pm | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

Well, I LOVE to organize, but I just can't seem to stay organized! I can't tell you how many systems I've tried and then dropped . I'm actually able to keep up with this system though because it is working so well with my kids. Our school days run so much more peacefully and that is motivating!    I will admit it is sometimes hard to take or find the time to fill the boxes, so I am working on a way to simplify that. But really, if I would just take 15 extra minutes, when the kids are done with school to refill them it would be no problem. One thing I've actually done is to refill the first few when the kids are still working on the last few. Or, as is often the case, if the 5 yo finishes and goes off to play, I start refilling his while the other kids are still working and I am in the classroom.
If you try it, start off with a fewer number of boxes to fill. Also, try to keep all the "workbox stuff" in one area, maybe even organized by grade level, subject or even day you want to use it, so that when it's time to fill the boxes, it's all at arm's reach.
I decided to try it for the last 8 weeks of school. I explained to the kids that we would only be doing this for 8 weeks so that if I failed (once again) at keeping it going, it wouldn't be so bad. I've made it to the end of the year (almost) and I'm ready to continue for next year!

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 26 2009 at 1:09pm | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

Mamamoon,
I just wanted to add that I think kids are motivated my different things. One of my ds's is motivated by the fun activities that follow the more difficult ones. On the other hand, my ds who is 8 has ADHD and he doesn't seem to care what follows what. I think he truly likes the "neatness" of the system. He likes his boxes all lined up and the feeling he has of being somewhat in control of his day. I don't put the book on his desk, he goes to the box to get it. I don't say, "okay, now do this" he just knows to go on when he finishes a box. AND, since he really struggles with reading, I've not been able to give him a checklist of assignments to do like his older sister gets. The workboxes eliminate the need for that.
This all sort of surprised me about my ds so I learned something new about him while using this system.

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 26 2009 at 2:15pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

Becky Parker wrote:
Well, I LOVE to organize, but I just can't seem to stay organized! I can't tell you how many systems I've tried and then dropped . I'm actually able to keep up with this system though because it is working so well with my kids. Our school days run so much more peacefully and that is motivating!     

See, this is what I am thinking, that my kids will like it, especially after years of suffering through my inconsistency! So, the question is really, will I do it?

Remembering Today

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version