Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: Homeschool Workboxes.... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Mary Chris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 13 2009 at 12:01pm | IP Logged Quote Mary Chris

I saw this over at FIAR last week and have been mulling it over ever since. I just came home from Target with two shelf sets and twelve boxes. I am going to start small, I figure between the three kiddos and myself we can share the shelves and boxes. I am hoping to work on the set-up this afternoon.......after the long overdue trip to the dentist and before Challenge. If we are sucessful with two shelves each, I'll invest in more.

Jenn Sal
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 13 2009 at 12:20pm | IP Logged Quote Jenn Sal

Can anyone give me an estimate of how much the containers and rack cost you?

trish
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 13 2009 at 1:29pm | IP Logged Quote trish

I've been looking over this too. I think it's doable with my younger 2. At least then they can keep on track. (ahem not to mention me) I like the idea of the smaller version. The bags sound right for us. We'll see.

+AMDG+
Saintly Soaps

Back to Top View trish's Profile Search for other posts by trish

Anne McD
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 13 2009 at 2:49pm | IP Logged Quote Anne McD

I'm thinking about starting with my preschooler, who is always looking for something to do when the boys are doing schoolwork. An objection that someone wrote seemed to resonate with me: I'd have to fill the boxes every day! I wonder how this would be better than the "list and pile" method that I still don't use... Maybe this keeps all pertinent materials in one spot, instead of "go hunt down a pencil, move locations and get out play dough....?

Still mulling....

James 8
Katie 6
William 3 1/2
Benedict Joseph 1
and baby on the way! 10/14
Back to Top View Anne McD's Profile Search for other posts by Anne McD

Donna Marie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 13 2009 at 3:17pm | IP Logged Quote Donna Marie

I have been sortof doing this for about 2 years. I have a shelf section labeled with a child's name and I place their "workbox" in that spot. I keep the activities for the "workbox" labeled in ziploc bags and store them when not in use on the top of the bookcase in a large laundry type basket. The activity bags are rotated in and out as needed. The activities are numbered and I have a binder (stored on the shelf above the "workbox" shelf) with the number of each item and its location ( I have slowly worked up to several laundry baskets full is I need this organization help and visual reminder..its amazing what i forget I have) I have checksheets in this binder for each child. As they complete the "workbox" I put their initals and the date on the checksheet.

I have a lot of different things for them to do this way...even activities for the middle and older ones that are kept in legal sized labeled envelopes....maybe it would be best if I put a blog post together about it. There are a lot of ideas I can link you to easier that way... The really neat thing about it is that even though I have little space, it works for me. And even if it gets dumped, there isn't much to pick up....oops! baby needs me again...he is very firm on the no typing while nursing rule...haha I'll add more later....
BTW...this is fun! :o)

God love you,
Donna Marie from NJ
hs momma to 8dc!!

Finding Elegant Simplicity
Back to Top View Donna Marie's Profile Search for other posts by Donna Marie Visit Donna Marie's Homepage

Maria B.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 13 2009 at 3:59pm | IP Logged Quote Maria B.

I am really intrigued by this. I would love to see pictures of anyone's workboxes.

Back to Top View Maria B.'s Profile Search for other posts by Maria B. Visit Maria B.'s Homepage

Anneof 5
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 13 2009 at 4:26pm | IP Logged Quote Anneof 5

The racks are about $15 each and the clear plastic boxes are $1 each at Target. I just bought mine today. I will be using mine for my two youngest so I don't have as many to buy as some might. I have used plastic bags at times in the past and for me they never "stood up" well (as in not sliding down and not being able to find them in a larger bin). That is why I am going with the boxes this time. I am excited about it as I am very visual and this will help me as well as my kids to see what we need to accomplish every day.
Anne
Back to Top View Anneof 5's Profile Search for other posts by Anneof 5

Anneof 5
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 13 2009 at 4:31pm | IP Logged Quote Anneof 5

Maria,
there are pictures on this blog and if you scroll to the bottom of that page she links to blogs with more takes on this idea and pictures, also.

Mary Chris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 13 2009 at 7:04pm | IP Logged Quote Mary Chris

I heard about those $1.00 boxes, but mine were $1.99.

Jenn Sal
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 13 2009 at 7:32pm | IP Logged Quote Jenn Sal

Thank you! I was expecting it to be more expensive!

Mary Chris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 14 2009 at 12:01pm | IP Logged Quote Mary Chris

I just finished putting my shelves together, I am so excited!!!!!! I had this space under our huge dry-erase board (it's a piece of tile board from Home Depot with trim) that I could not fit a bookcase under. I wanted a small, not to deep bookcase to store all their stuff. Well the racks I bought at Target fit perfectly!! The MUS workbooks tuck into them just right too.

I have to admit to getting a little bit side-tracked, did I mention I think I am a bit ADD , and started sorting the craft supplies into the shoe boxes. My craft bookcase looks so neat and nice now. Can you hear my long deep sighs of satisfaction??? I'll be off to Target soon to buy another set of shelves and all the boxes I can afford.   

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: March 14 2009 at 12:10pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

I will not buy one more thing.

But I do reserve the right to go LOOK at Mary Chris'

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

Mary Chris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 14 2009 at 12:13pm | IP Logged Quote Mary Chris

Elizabeth wrote:

Ok, come on over! Just let me change out of my PJ's first!

trish
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 14 2009 at 12:26pm | IP Logged Quote trish

I'm going to try and do this without buying anything... except maybe some containers. Did I just say that?    I have to make soap today. I've been putting it off for too long but this is distracting me WAY too much. I keep thinking of new things to put into these.   

+AMDG+
Saintly Soaps

Back to Top View trish's Profile Search for other posts by trish

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: March 14 2009 at 12:29pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Mary Chris wrote:
Elizabeth wrote:

Ok, come on over! Just let me change out of my PJ's first!

Well, I would but I'm still in my PJs . My schoolroom is looking much cleaner, though. I clean best in boxers and tshirt.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

hmbress
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 14 2009 at 5:43pm | IP Logged Quote hmbress

Can someone explain - why is it important for the child to do the bags/boxes in order? Is it just to ensure that the child does what YOU want them to do, instead of only choosing their favorite activities? If so, would there be value in tying some kind of reward to completing all of the day's assignments, but allowing them to choose in which order to do them? Just wonderin'!

CandaceC
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 14 2009 at 5:53pm | IP Logged Quote CandaceC

Heather, the only reason I do a certain order is because I put certain things first that I want them to accomplish *most.*

Also, when I'm filling both my girls bags, I can't put things in each of their bags first, say, where they would need to work with me...I kind of have to split up the activities where they will be with me. Does that make sense??

So, for one of my girls, her FIRST activity is to read a book to me. Then, my other girl, her FIFTH activity is to do a bible lesson with mommy. That way they aren't both coming to me at the same time.

His Mercy Is New
Back to Top View CandaceC's Profile Search for other posts by CandaceC Visit CandaceC's Homepage

Anneof 5
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 14 2009 at 6:27pm | IP Logged Quote Anneof 5

I have been reading a lot about this on various blogs, etc., so maybe I am getting things mixed up .....
but I thought I read somewhere about the left to right, top to bottom progression of it which Sue Patrick explains in her book. Mine isn't here yet (I prefer real books to e-books) so I won't know for sure until I read it. That would make sense to me, since I have kids with ADHD and other learning issues. That is why I also chose the clear boxes as they really need to "see" what is inside. I have been using a picture chart system with dd for a while but I think I can combine it with this system to make a better one for her. It will make the visual picture and the actual materials come together and work better for both of us. The chart alone just hasn't been a big hit with her.
HTH
Anne

CandaceC
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 14 2009 at 6:39pm | IP Logged Quote CandaceC

Anne - you are completely right!!

I am not using Sue's book...I haven't read it, I've only read what other people are doing with these boxes and am trying my own "rendition" of the program! So, that is where my idea/thoughts came from...just how I've been doing it at our house.

His Mercy Is New
Back to Top View CandaceC's Profile Search for other posts by CandaceC Visit CandaceC's Homepage

Anneof 5
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 14 2009 at 8:12pm | IP Logged Quote Anneof 5

Candace,
It sounds like your rendition is working great for your family. It is really fun to see how different moms are making this work in their own way for their particular needs. I have especially enjoyed reading about it and the sharing of ideas here, too! This whole concept just really "speaks" to me right now.

Anne

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version