Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
Subject Topic: Cold and flu prevention/remedies Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
KackyK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 25 2009 at 8:27am | IP Logged Quote KackyK

This isn't a natural remedy at all...but I have had more than one person, personally testify to the fact that they had good results from rubbing Vicks on their children's feet, then covering them with socks, at night. I don't know why, but they all said it stopped their coughing.

Mom to 8 - 3 dd, 5ds & 4 babes in heaven

Beginning With the Assumption
Back to Top View KackyK's Profile Search for other posts by KackyK Visit KackyK's Homepage

monique
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 25 2009 at 8:53pm | IP Logged Quote monique

I believe a spoonful of raw honey is suppose to suppress coughs.

Also along the lines of the vicks vapor rub, we have used Unkers medicated salve. Put it on the bottoms of the feet and then put on socks.

Hope everyone heals soon in your house, Marilyn!

Back to Top View monique's Profile Search for other posts by monique

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 26 2009 at 6:59am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Another good remedy for congestion is to put camphor oil in boiling water and breath in the steam. It helped when I had a double ear infection from the flu (and didn't take meds because I was pregnant), but it would help with any sort of congestion. I am pretty sure that it is somewhat medicinal, too, rather than just good at breaking up the mucous, but I have no info on that. I would think that a couple of drops in a humidifier would work, too, much like Vicks.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 26 2009 at 10:45am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

You can also use Eucalyptus Essential Oil or congestion.. put it in a bath, or in a humidifier etc. I find that it's just as good to put a drop on a handkerchief and keep it close.. this works especially well at night where I can lay the handkerchief next to me on the pillow.

did I mention pineapple (bromelain) for congestion? it doesn't effect the mucus but it helps with the swollen nasal tissue which can help things clear out better and often, at least for me, is more than half the problem anyway.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Nov 07 2009 at 3:32pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

I shopped around at Vitacost today and found some new-to-me items (see **) to try and was reaquainted with some products I have liked in the past. I scanned this topic too and below is our plan...or should I say, hope?

FLU PLAN 2009-2010

Prevention

Limit sugar, use stevia.
Eat whole foods.
Eat daily yogurt.
Increase liquids.
Wash hands.
Use antibacterial foam and wipes when out.
Avoid touching face.
Trim nails and clean with brush.
TTapp.
Take daily vitamins.
Observe strict bedtime.
Nasal rinse with neti pot + salt packet and/or grapefruit seed extract.

Cure

Adults:
Homeopathic, Oscil (Flu) OR Zicam (Cold)
Concentrated Sambucus
*Thera Zinc* travel/orange or with Echinacea
Emergen C

Children:
Homeopathic, Oscil (Flu) or Homeopathic Kids Kit (Cold)
Children’s Sambucus
Zand Zinc Lozenges
Emergen C Kidz

All:
Chicken Soup
Garlic Lemonade
*Nature Works Chest Rub*
*Olbas Oil*
Throat Coat Tea
Olbas Cough Drops
*Raw Honey*
Liquid Echinacea

Additional Ideas

Pineapple (bromelain) reduces swelling.
Apple cider vinegar
Garlic
"really bad sore throat last week -- honey, garlic and cayenne, all heated up in a little saucepan." - stef

Last Resort and/or for Men :
Theraflu

Thank you all for your helpful tips! I was so much more on top of this when my children were little . I'm happy to have our order in and feel relieved that I will be well stocked soon. Thanks for the friendly nudge.

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

MaryMary
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 07 2009 at 3:52pm | IP Logged Quote MaryMary

In addition to what most of you have said, we love emergen-c at the first sign of a cold. It has rarely progressed beyond sniffles when I hit the cold with this stuff first thing.

My s-i-l is a naturopathic doctor and highly recommends daily doses of vitamin D and diet-wise, the following:

• Bright orange, red and yellow fruits and vegetables –full of antioxidants
that increase immune cell number and function.
• Healthy Bacteria – consuming bacteria that are indigenous to our digestive
tract helps to keep foreign and harmful bacteria at bay. Sources include: live
culture yogurt, miso paste, unsalted and raw sauerkraut.
• Greens – chlorophyll promotes the growth of beneficial intestinal bacteria.
Sources include: collard greens, kale, watercress, swiss chard, romaine, parsley,
dandelion greens, wheat grass and barley grass. (see other side)
• Whole grains and legumes – filled with minerals and nutrients such as zinc
and selenium, these foods act in immune cell formation and as antioxidants.
• Garlic and Ginger –have antimicrobial actions.
• Shii take and Miitake mushrooms – increase immune cell activity. Add to
soups or steam with veggies.

Back to Top View MaryMary's Profile Search for other posts by MaryMary

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 07 2009 at 5:12pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

you found the olbas oil at vitacost, angie? i didn't find it last time i went shopping.... off to place an order... thanks for the tip!

oh, and not related, but if anyone's saving for college here. vitacost gives you back 4% through upromise.

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

Gratiae ut Deus
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Nov 11 2009 at 10:33am | IP Logged Quote Gratiae ut Deus

Wow!Wow!Wow! Such a great thread!! Thank you so much ladies! My whole family except for myself, my husband, and 2yr old are sick right now or have recently gotten over it. They have not been tested for the flu or h1n1, but they have all of the same symptoms that the CDC lists on their website. This is what we have been taking: Sambucus Kids Syrup (with Elderberry, Echinacea and Propolis)--the children we started on this right away or even before the symptoms started have done the best with it, but it has been affective I believe with everyone.
Emergen-C
Good old fashioned hot salt water gargle for sore throats
Organic Apple Cider Vinegar (Raw and Unfiltered with the veil of mother intact)
Lots of homemade from scratch soups with tons of Garlic--a few of our favorites are Chicken soup with and without dumplings, Veggie soup, and the best of the best is Posole! In this recipe I use lots of crushed garlic, chili powder, and fresh squeezed limes. It is delicious and a definite immunity booster.
And of course their regular vitamins and minerals
Those are the things we use that pop into my head right off the bat. I know some of them are repeats of what others have posted. Thanks so much again for all the great info. you all are sharing! I'm bookmarking this thread and taking notes for sure!

God bless!

The Careless Catholic
Back to Top View Gratiae ut Deus's Profile Search for other posts by Gratiae ut Deus Visit Gratiae ut Deus's Homepage

Gratiae ut Deus
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Nov 11 2009 at 10:38am | IP Logged Quote Gratiae ut Deus

I forgot to add that we are Raw Milk drinkers. Several of you have put daily yogurt intake and I was wondering if this is maybe for the "good" bacteria that you get out of it. If that is the case then I guess I should count our milk consumption as well.

Thanks and God bless!

The Careless Catholic
Back to Top View Gratiae ut Deus's Profile Search for other posts by Gratiae ut Deus Visit Gratiae ut Deus's Homepage

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Nov 11 2009 at 12:40pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

I forgot to add, I have Wally's Ear Oil on hand for ear troubles.

Question...does anyone use Buried Treasure ACF products? These products first got my attention because of their rave reviews. Then my relative told me she uses the one for children as a preventive measure because her pediatricion recommended it. Anyone else?

Praying for health and comfort!

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

Gloria JMJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 12 2009 at 12:24am | IP Logged Quote Gloria JMJ

I found our kids had the flu on Halloween, so I put up the candy and made syrup. I had to make something from what I had on hand.
One was one onion sliced and layered with honey in a jar, packed down tight and refrigerated for 3-4 hours. Give one tablespoonful every couple of hours. Doesn't taste too bad. Worked great for coughs too.
And the second one was
two large garlic cloves crushed,
one tablespoon grated ginger root,
dash of cayenne,
one half cup honey,
one half cup water,
and one half cup lemon juice ( I didn't have lemon though and it still worked).
My dc thought this one was .
I gave this to anyone who complained about not feeling well. After a while they all stopped complaining .
I gave these to everyone regardless of symptoms and some of my children just barely got sick. Now they are all happily scarfing candy .

doris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 12 2009 at 3:45pm | IP Logged Quote doris

I've been giving my coughing girls honey and lemon with hot water -- manuka honey which is pricey but fantastic. It's really soothed their throats.manuka honey

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Oct 04 2010 at 5:50pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

It's that time of year again . The first case of flu was identifed in Maricopa County (Phoenix) and reported on the radio today.

Are you ready for flu season? What precautions do you take? Anything learned from last season?

Thanks for sharing!

Love,

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 04 2010 at 6:18pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Lots of people have been sharing their prevention technics in this thread, How to stay healthy

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

saigemom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 05 2010 at 6:10pm | IP Logged Quote saigemom

Angie Mc

We discovered buried treasure last winter and it is amazing. I just went and bought some to have on hand for this coming season.

I will say that it tastes NASTY though. It is worth it to me for the relief w/o the super tired side effects I get.
Back to Top View saigemom's Profile Search for other posts by saigemom

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 09 2010 at 12:08pm | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

I've been reading this thread with interest, especially since we all have colds right now. I think I know where my ds gets his ADHD though because my head is swimming! I keep turning it off and coming back to re-read, leaving again without a clue as to what I should do! There are so many products to decide on! I am also pregnant so I add in the worries about what is safe for me to take right now.

So I'm wondering if you all could be extra patient and help me make an itemized list of cold and flu remedies that you keep on hand. I think I need it in list form because I keep getting lost in paragraphs!
I guess that's what my ds with ADHD deals with on a regular basis.

So far I have:
honey
lemon
Vicks
EmergenC
Vitamin D
Zinc supplement

Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 09 2010 at 12:25pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

I would add

elderberry

to that list.. I use it both pregnant and nursing

and something to clean commonly touched things like door knobs, light switches, door frames etc.

I can't get to my book right now.. but there are also some limits on vitamins when pregnant.. like I'm pretty sure you shouldn't have more than 4000mg/day of vit C.

We're in the midst of getting ready for company and baby's baptism tomorrow and a party afterward.. but I should be able to hunt up my book next week to check on those others.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

DianaC
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 04 2014 at 10:10am | IP Logged Quote DianaC

MarilynW wrote:
I just received my winter order of supplements/prevention stuff - hopefully it will mean we do not get cold or flu!!

Goodies:

Rainbow Light Active Teen Mulitvitamin for my dd

I wanted to thank you for this recommendation! I purchased these vitamins for my dd who has had trouble with multivitamins upsetting her stomach. These have not bothered her at all (except the taste). She has been taking them for almost a month and has noticed she feels she has more energy and we’ve noticed fewer hormonal peaks and valleys. Thanks again!
Back to Top View DianaC's Profile Search for other posts by DianaC

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

<< Prev Page of 3
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version