Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
 4Real Forums : Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
Subject Topic: Cold and flu prevention/remedies Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 01 2009 at 5:38pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Homeopathics are generally considered safe to pregancy and nursing.. because the actual amount of active ingredients is so small.

elderberries and elder flowers are safe.. elder bark I think has cautions for pregnancy.. it's been a long time since I looked it all up.. and I may have used my dh's botany books more than medical info.

acidophyllus is safe it's replacing the good bacteria in your gut.. especially important if you've been on antibiotics.. can prevent yeast overgrowth if you take it while on the antibiotics and for 30 days following the end of the antibiotics.

minerals and multivitamins are of course good for anyone especially when pregnant or nursing (in proper amount which is not the RDA - RDA is a minimum not maximum)

The teas would depend on what the ingredients are.. odds are there is something you shouldn't have pregnant.. especially the breathe easy.

Lemon and honey in hot water (lemonade) or hot tea are safe and sooooo soothing for a sore throat.

And I find that pineapple (bromelain) reduces swelling so it will help with swollen nasal passages etc so it can help loosen everything up when you have a cold. And I consider it safe.. they haven't found any doseage that is too high.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Sept 17 2009 at 12:46pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I'm bumping this thread because it has sooooo much helpful information in it. I know it was posted on only a few days ago, but the thread itself is almost a year old, and I know this is a topic on many of our minds right now so I wanted to bump to make it active again!

Thank you ladies for all your sharing here!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Nina
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 17 2009 at 4:55pm | IP Logged Quote Nina

Kefir has been a great help. It is good for the body overall.
Back to Top View Nina's Profile Search for other posts by Nina

KackyK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 17 2009 at 8:45pm | IP Logged Quote KackyK

Okay I'll ask what I always feel is a dumb question but I'll just ask!

How do you know how much to dose out to the different ages and genders? Like take for instance Elderberry syrup? Long ago I saw some in a store and I didn't see a dosage and so I had no idea what to do.

When I google...I get overwhelmed. Anyone have a great guide or site that I can trust?

Mom to 8 - 3 dd, 5ds & 4 babes in heaven

Beginning With the Assumption
Back to Top View KackyK's Profile Search for other posts by KackyK Visit KackyK's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 18 2009 at 12:05am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

elderberry is a food.. you don't need a doseage chart to eat an apple right. Seriously, you can make elderberry jam and wine and juice.. it's as safe as drinking OJ for a cold. But the cost is what keeps you using it at the supplemental level.

The doseage or serving size is generally for an adult.. and then I just divide it down by size.. my two oldest kids are probably big enough for a 3/4 dose and then the 4-9 yr olds a 1/2 and the babies a 1/4 dose or even smaller like under 1 I might do an 1/8..

Or I might try and be more precise.. call an adult dose 150lbs and then divide down by weight to the different children.

I use an extract and the dose on it is 30-50 drops 3-5 times daily (adult doseage) The lower amount and frequency is what I use for preventative and the higher of both for already getting sick. And often I just use a single dose after an exposure for preventative if no one in the house is sick.. if someone is sick then everyone not sick gets a preventative dose a couple times a day while the ones sick gets the higher dose.

I think I've read recently for a homemade elderberry syrup that it's 1-4T and 2-5 times daily.. lower end for preventative higher for when you're sick, just like I outlined above.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 18 2009 at 6:43am | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

We told our kids the other day that our family's plan to avoid the flu includes the following:

No being overly busy. We always get sick when we have too many activities going on.

Go to bed on time.

Wash your hands more often.

Take your vitamins.

And I guess I am now going to look into elderberry syrup, since that's a new one for me!

I really do believe that the key to staying well is to keep one's resistance strong. I think a big part of that comes with not overscheduling our days. The one year we got a horrible flu (all of us) was when we had activities 4-5 days a week, plus Mass. My kitchen counter looked like a pharmacy for weeks. I had kids on both tylenol AND advil just to keep the fevers below 102. It was a nightmare. We missed Christmas entirely that year. And my houseful of kids didn't even care. I dropped 3 of our activities and never let us overschedule like that again, and so far, we've never been sick like that since. That was about 6 yrs ago, I think.

~Books

mothering ds'93 dd'97 dd'99 dd'02 ds'05 ds'07 and due 9/10
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 18 2009 at 6:53am | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

I have had a blog post wanting to be published with all our flu/cold preparations - just no time right now, so I will add to last year's post above. I do feel a bit sheepish given that I have had a sick household the last couple of weeks - but I am trying to tell myself that good health is not the absence of illness, but the ability to recover quickly without complications. Last year all had the flu but recovered quickly and happily - except for me (but I was pregnant)

Additions this year
- sweet echinachea extract - to be given to the children only when sick (cannot afford winter long)
- nettle tea once a day - my kids actually like it - I just simmer dried nettles and strain - they like it with raw honey I like it unsweetened
- additions to power smoothies - hemp oil and Mount Capra caprotein/mineral powder
- Omega 3 fish oil chewables or oil for all except my very allergic to fish daughter

Things I stress from last year
- stocks - I spent labor day making huge pots of chicken stock and beef stock - and then soup and freezing - because so hard to do this when you are sick

- the Oscillococcinum stuff - expensive but Vitacost price is really good

- Sambucus/elderberry - really good stuff. I wanted to use Aussie Annie's recipe this year to make it - but no time. Now I have 6 children and it is expensive I just use it if anyone is under the weather - not able to use it winter long preventitively

Non natural additions I have added this year
- Lysol antibacterial wipes - I am generally not in favor of antibacterial stuff - but these wipes are the safest (imo) - and we will use when people are sick or we have guests - great for computer keyboards, mice, door knobs, light switches and fridge handles

- the Purell handwash - again in moderation - really for when the children are out with no possiblity of soap and water - I am not a big fan - but my ped. pointed out that Purell has no bad ingredients just alcohol - make sure you avoid the ones which have Triclosan which is not a good thing.

Also trying to stress water drinking to my children - they are not good at this - it really can be a lifesaver.

And lots of rest, sleep and a happy attitude - start the day with singing and dancing if you can

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 18 2009 at 8:35am | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

2 more things to add

GARLIC GARLIC GARLIC - lucky all my children and dh like it - garlic soup, garlic bread, garlic in everything - kills and prevents colds

Apple cider vinegar - this my dh and kids hate - I think they would rather have the flu - I am trying to retrain them! A great remedy is to put garlic and ginger into apple cider vinegar and take it at first sign of a cold. Or a hot drink with acv and honey

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 18 2009 at 10:13am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Marilyn, often when I use elderberry preventatively I will use it when we've been somewhere with people who sound sick.. lots of coughing and sniffling. Or places that are known for transmitting illness (mcdonald's play place).. but just a single dose when we get home.

-Sir Walter Scott

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 18 2009 at 3:54pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

someone gave me a formula weeks ago that worked for my really bad sore throat last week -- honey, garlic and cayenne, all heated up in a little saucepan. take often during the day (everytime i was in the kitchen i took a teaspoon). the sore throat was gone in 2 days. no lingering symptoms... well, unless you count my allergies, which is still off and on.

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

ALmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 21 2009 at 6:22pm | IP Logged Quote ALmom

My oldest insists that airborne has kept her pretty flu free in college during epidemics - even when the entire rest of the piano studio is sick. Right now she is back out to pick some more up as her University is in a hot spot with swine flu epidemics - it is in most of the schools there and a music prof has it.

I really think that:

limiting confined indoor activity - ie too much running around and especially cafeteria style food or fast food (not that we do much of this at all just due to finances - but if we do it, we try to not pick flu season). Especially avoid doctor offices, fast food places, and anywhere people feel like they have to work even when sick and anywhere that you have a large group of toddlers and preschoolers confined - they tend to put stuff in the mouth and such. I think about play palaces, nurseries (my children never stayed in one, but sometimes when we had business to attend at the parish, they'd like to play with the stuff there and invariably they were sick. We learned just to not allow playing with anything at the docs office, not going into church nurseries, etc.

Getting sufficient rest and regular routine for eating and sleeping.

Outdoor time whenever weather permits - and some steady exercise (not overdoing it)

good basic nutrition - ie a variety of good foods including fruits and veggies

I do use some fish oil and omega 3 in a fruit slushy

hand washing (My mil gave us a whole bunch of this sani-wipes. Dd uses them to wipe the piano keyboard before she uses it. My son's piano teacher has always wiped the piano keyboard down between lessons when there is an epidemic or when someone obviously has the sniffles).

Places that are frequently touched by a variety of folks include doorknobs, telephones, shopping carts, backs of church pews, etc. and these make sense to do a quick wipe if it isn't obnoxious to others or be extra diligent about washing hands after before rubbing eyes or eating or.... Wipe the earpiece of the phone, too, particularly when it is a phone in a public place shared by many - ie at an office. I imagine any kind of shared office equipement that involves nose, ears, eyes, etc. Do not share headphones and earbuds or musical instruments that have mouthpieces.

I am not very knowledgeable on herbs and other things and we are unable to afford the totally organic type stuff but we try to go with variety, fresh, etc.

At the start of a cold - salt water up the nose clears the sinuses and a salt water gargle is great to nip a budding sore throat.

Drink sufficient fluids - especially good old water. And don't share cups, straws, etc. (We tend to habitually do this among family members but flu season, no way.)

We also take this time to reinforce consideration of others and habits in our children that aid in minimizing the spread of anything - a reminder to sneeze in the crook of the elbow -not the hand. If they are feeling poorly, they do need to tell me (they can offer things up by not complaining but I still need to be informed of important information that I might miss otherwise) and not hide it even if they know it will mean missing the outing they were looking forward to. I have some children that are easy to read like a book and when they are sick, it is obvious whether they are trying to hide it or not. Others, they can pull something over on me if they try just because they tend to show symptoms later in an illness. I have had to tell these children that there is a difference in offering something up and informing mom who needs to know!!! If there are any indications that this might be illness - we assume it is until proven otherwise - and stay home. I will often wait a normal gestation period before planning gatherings if not all of us got sick at once. We invariably get sick in series - but recover quickly so I like to give extra time to make sure we really are not contagious.

When things are really in epidemic mode, we would err on the side of caution even more. The one thing I worry about with the immunization debate is not so much whether you immunize or not - but the false sense of security people take. At one time, if people were sick, they stayed home, no matter what. Now, it seems, sick folks go everywhere and do everything. Often people are told they are not contagious after x days just because ---. This doesn't make sense to me and I think we'd do a lot better to be attentive and keep home when there is a hint of illness - particularly when epidemic threatens. Now, we know that folks can and do get tricked and don't realize they are sick until they've already exposed a few folks. When that happens, we at least try to give a heads up to any families we've been with. We always know any folks we've been in close contact with. They at least have an opportunity, then, to be extra attentive, take extra rest and do whatever remedies or prevention/immunity boosting practices they've found work for them.

We'll probably be avoiding donut Sunday for a while, too, which reminds me that beyond the fact that donuts out in the open with lots of folks putting hands all over the food - sugar in quantities seems to lower immunity so we try to be as good as our sweet tooths will allow in the flu season or during epidemics.

Janet

Back to Top View ALmom's Profile Search for other posts by ALmom

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 21 2009 at 6:50pm | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

ALmom wrote:

The one thing I worry about with the immunization debate is not so much whether you immunize or not - but the false sense of security people take. At one time, if people were sick, they stayed home, no matter what. Now, it seems, sick folks go everywhere and do everything.

Janet, I really appreciate your thoughts. My mom travels on planes for work a lot and swears by Airborne as well.

There was a notice in our Parish bulletin recently about the possibility of flu epidemic and "please stay home if you are sick," and also to feel free not to shake hands if you feel so inclined.

What are your family's guidelines for illness and mass attendance?

~Books

mothering ds'93 dd'97 dd'99 dd'02 ds'05 ds'07 and due 9/10
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

ALmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 24 2009 at 1:00pm | IP Logged Quote ALmom

We have really large parishes with a number of elderly in the parish - or expectant mothers, so I do try to go by similiar rules as with other things though we weight the fact that the Mass is way more important than the play date or co-op. I remember when my mom was undergoing cancer treatment and so vulnerable to things knowing that in any parish there are at least a few people in those situations. While something may be gone from us in 24 hours, other folks aren't as fortunate.

With Mass attendance, my general rule of thumb is to be med free and fever free for at least 24 hours. I do go a bit more lightly on the runny nose thing - no really sick feeling sypmptoms for over 24 hours and the children must have been acting, eating and playing completely normally during this time. We generally wait until a later Mass to check out if they remain active just to be sure as someone can act better first thing in the morning and not later. I also do things like test them out with something spicey or more challenging to the stomach on the table. If they eat eggs, drink milk and have some salsa on the omelet and still act 100% except sniffles - then I'm pretty sure we're ok. If it is just a cold lingering with no other symptoms we'd still take older children to Mass after all the testing (not generally the really young ones). My thought is that contagion is generally gone within 24 hours after symptoms of fever and general lethargy and in the case of an exception, the older children who have more reliable habits will still not be likely to expose someone else whereas my - younger, pre-first communion children we wait longer because they just might - even if it is rare - and as pre-First communion age, they don't have quite the obligation that others do. In any case, we do not shake hands or linger and we try for a Mass that is not as heavily attended until everyone is 100%- and we put any sniffly child between us and try to keep our distance. You kind of get to know where folks tend to sit and where you might be able to get a pew between you (or with my own family in front of us).

In an epidemic (confirmed cases in our area and known exposure especially), we will wait until completely symptom free - ie we were out for months with various children when pertusis was going around. It wasn't particularly scarey for most of us - but we had been exposed, had the symptoms clearly in one child who had one really rough night and waited until no one had a cough at all - which took about 2 - 4 months per child. (One child was out so long - the one with the worst beginning symptoms) that Fr. began to worry and double check that we had spoken to the doc. We did take well folks to Mass, but not anyone who had any sypmtoms no matter how old.   If we had the lingering cough, we stayed home even if we were otherwise acting normally and with pertusis that took a while for the cough to be gone from the nighttime for 24 hours.

For Mass, we will take well children and dh and I do the tag team thing. I won't plan a play date or take my other children places in general when we have something at home, but Mass is so important. We still do not want to expose anyone. Occassionally we have been tricked - and one of us left immediately with the child and the other of us wiped down everything around us as best we could and said a prayer for anyone we might have inadvertantly exposed.

With any children we leave at home, if they are well enough for reading to and such, we will read the readings of the Mass to them or talk about the gospel and at least some prayer appropriate to the age and the level of how they feel.

We aren't perfect in following our own rules - but we do try. I find Mass the most tempting to me because of how important it is - but I do try to remember the folks there who are elderly, ill or undergoing chemotherapy, radiation or are on immune suppressing medication. It is awful for a pregnant mom to end up with cold or flu just because they are more limited in how they can even treat symptoms. It could be devastating for a cancer patient. I also know that different folks from different regions are more vulnerable to different things. We know folks who are petrified of Chicken pox (it isn't common in their place of origin and thus their children probably don't have the same immunities to it that typical American chidlren do) but don't see what the fuss is all about with measles (everyone gets it in their country of origin, their country doesn't bother to immunize for it and most everyone has built up good immunities anyways) whereas most of the folks born here that we know would have the opposite feelings towards both of those diseases. I figure, I just don't know what might or might not be serious for someone else and while we are thankfully very resilient, I do not want to be responsible for getting someone else ill, especially not seriously so.

I know when we had chicken pox, we were over it in less than 3 days - but I did inform a family we were planning to get together with that we had just recovered from chicken pox and we postponed the date a bit just to be sure (I think for the following week if everyone still remained chicken pox free). Chicken pox gone in less than 3 days just didn't seem possible back then - but that is what happened with us. My children were playing normally within 24 hours, and most didn't itch that much and all spots were gone in 3 days or less - but still it seemed wise to inform the other family and we came up with something they were comfortable with. I probably took the child to Mass once all sypmtoms were gone - ie the 3 days.

Now, if our family was super prone to allergies it is trickier - because sniffles could be almost year round and nothing more than allergies and completely non-contagious and you cannot stay away from things every time the child has a little sniffle or they'd never get to do anything. If allergeis are severe, it can cause a bit of lethargy too. I'm not sure how the folks with allergies handle things. We have some allergies (minor) in some , but in our case, we know we've been exposed to the allergen (mostly after major housecleaning) or during early spring.

I just know of people who dose their children up with tylenol to take them to school or things or nurses who go to work with fevers (in labor and delivery even) or folks at work who feel miserable and drag themselves around for a few days before they just cannot move at all and finally take the day off. If I have a child sick, then they need to be home and co-op will have to live without us - even my well children would require me to load a sick child into a hot car. I think it is trying to be charitable and courteous to all and we do the best we can trying not to be selfish or sidetracked by "what we want".

Boy this was blabby and the bottom line is that we tend to be a bit laxer with Mass - but still try to charitably keep in mind our responsibilty to be concerned with the health and well-being of others and if we are sick, we need to stay home. We try to be prudent and balanced in adequately assessing if we are sick.

Janet
Back to Top View ALmom's Profile Search for other posts by ALmom

folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 24 2009 at 1:11pm | IP Logged Quote folklaur

i thought there were some concerns about Elderberry / Cytokine storm because of some of the type of flu it is?
Back to Top View folklaur's Profile Search for other posts by folklaur

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 24 2009 at 1:27pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

cactus mouse wrote:
i thought there were some concerns about Elderberry / Cytokine storm because of some of the type of flu it is?

I think that there is a lot of speculation about this, but no one knows for sure. Also, even for those who think elderberry increases the chance of a cytokine storm, it seems to be only a problem for specific strains like swine flu.

I'm not sure if there is any more a chance of having swine flu versus some other strain?

It is confusing to say the least. I think that we have decided that the potential benefits of elderberry (along with other supplements and precautions) are more likely than the speculative negatives.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Sept 24 2009 at 1:30pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Just wanted to post a follow-up to Janet's post about guidelines for how long to wait for Mass attendance and the like. I've been studying the epidemiology of the swine flu in particular. Our family guidelines are almost exactly the same as Janet's, but this year we will probably be a bit more strict. For most viruses (generally speaking) a person is no longer contagious after a fever has subsided, so waiting the 24 hours post fever is a good guideline. The swine flu, however, is different. Children should be considered contagious until ALL symptoms (this includes the cough) have subsided.

The Center for Disease Control wrote:
Persons who continue to be ill longer than 7 days after illness onset should be considered potentially contagious until symptoms have resolved. Children, especially younger children, might be contagious for longer periods.

If you're interested, you can read more at the CDC here.

I too try to be very sensitive about spreading these viruses as my brother is highly immunocompromised, but does attend Mass. I try to ask myself if I would be comfortable if my brother were sitting next to my children at Mass and use that as my barometer.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 24 2009 at 1:35pm | IP Logged Quote folklaur

Mackfam wrote:
a person is no longer contagious after a fever has subsided, so waiting the 24 hours post fever is a good guideline.

my husband's work is requiring anyone who has the flu to be fever free for 48 hours before returning to work.

(one of the performers on my DH's show has confirmed H1N1. if too many performers were to get it, the show would have to close for a time - very concerning!!)
Back to Top View folklaur's Profile Search for other posts by folklaur

10 Bright Stars
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 24 2009 at 7:51pm | IP Logged Quote 10 Bright Stars

My nurse/midwife wanted me to get the flu shot at my pre-natal check-up yesterday. I refused to get it because I have not heard good things about flu shots in general, and the one time I took the whole family in for a flu shot, we had the worst flu season of our lives!! (We were majorly ill about 6 or 7 times, even outside of flu season.) Perhaps just a fluke, but I have had nurses tell me they NEVER get a flu shot. What do you all think? The baby is due November 24th, so smack dab in the middle of the flu season. Do you think it is a valid concern and have you heard good things about this shot or bad? I just figured I didn't want to put something like that into my body with a baby anyway!!! But, I don't get out and about much, so I thought perhaps I was ignorant on the whole subject. Anyone know much about this?

Thanks.       

Mary 12, Gracie 10,
Isabelle and Sophia 8,
Gabrielle 6,
William Anthony 4, Joseph 3 and Luisa Marie - born in M
Back to Top View 10 Bright Stars's Profile Search for other posts by 10 Bright Stars Visit 10 Bright Stars's Homepage

florasita
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 24 2009 at 11:41pm | IP Logged Quote florasita

I made a post on our blog a week or so ago of some things we do and that have worked for us over the yrs .The Natural Catholic
I may add more at a later date as we get into winter season .
this has been a very interesting read ladies thank you for starting this topic
Roxie

May I rise & rest with words of Gratitude on my Breath
May I have the Heart & Mind of a Child in my Depth
May I forever remember to be a Light
May Peace Love & Hope be My Sight
Back to Top View florasita's Profile Search for other posts by florasita Visit florasita's Homepage

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 25 2009 at 7:55am | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

I am going to recommend the homepathic medication Ferrum Phos at the start of a cold - I have had good results from it this year.

BTW - can anyone recommend a natural cough suppressant. We are into the fourth week of coughs here - not chesty - just spells of coughing that won't stop in most of the children. This bug is not severe but is just not budging

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version