Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
 4Real Forums : Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
Subject Topic: Cold and flu prevention/remedies Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Dec 16 2008 at 3:38pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

What are you doing to protect/treat your family for colds and flu? We have never done the flu shot but I do give the kids a multivitamin through the winter and also black elderberry syrup (Sambucus)which to me is miraculous in stopping viruses. I increase their yogurt and oranges/orange juice intake. I need to get back to our powerhouse smoothies in the mornings. When colds start we usually minimize them with Hylands Earache tablets (works wonders with babies and toddlers) and Alpha CF homeopathic cold and flu for the older kids. My kids are good at handwashing (well except the 4 year old who thinks it is SUCH a chore!!) And sleep is the biggest lifesaver for us - everyone sleeps a lot in the winter - when my kids were in Catholic school, they got so little sleep - it is so great to be able to have them get enough sleep.

I would love to hear all your remedies. Also - does anyone know if you can take homeopathic cold and flu meds when pregnant?

(Sorry - I cannot put links in right now - we have a problem with scripted windows)

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

12stars
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 16 2008 at 6:31pm | IP Logged Quote 12stars

It sounds like you have it covered I will be looking into some of the things that have worked for you. Elderberry was what saved me from a horrible bronchitis.
Can you share your smoothie recipe, please. I would love to know.

Back to Top View 12stars's Profile Search for other posts by 12stars Visit 12stars's Homepage

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 16 2008 at 7:06pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Forgot to add - Badger balm to massage into backs and chests and feets to alleviate coughs and congestions. Olbas oil on tissues to relieve congestion. Apple cider vinegar for sore throats (my kids HATE this but it does work). I need to stock up on some of those cold care herbal teas - I think everyone likes the licorice Throat Coat. I am also going to get some echinacea tea and extract.

D. Marie
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Dec 16 2008 at 10:17pm | IP Logged Quote D. Marie

Dear Marilyn,
I've read that homepathic remedies are safe during pregnancy, but I've always used herbs. I use TriLight herbs for most of everything. They have a Yummy Yarrow formula that is an old pioneer remedy with yarrow, elderberry, and peppermint. If I can start giving this as soon as a cold seems to be coming on, it will wipe it out. If a cold does progress, I use Sinus Minus for everyone unless I am pregnant. TriLight Herbs has a whole line of Mother's Choice formulas and have used Respaclear during those times. They also have a Lung Tonic for those persistent coughs. These herbs, with chewable C tablets, garlic, and Vick's Vapor Rub are what my remedies are for my family.

I am attempting to strike out on my own and buy herbs in bulk to prepare for my family. Yikes! Wish me luck. Glad to see something on natural remedies this time of the year! God's blessing of health to all,
Diane K   
Back to Top View D. Marie's Profile Search for other posts by D. Marie

monique
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 17 2008 at 8:38am | IP Logged Quote monique

We use Thieves here. We love the stuff and we don't get the number or intensity of colds that we used to. I believe nutrition has a lot to do with it also, but I know you eat well.

We use the Thieves waterless hand purfier whenever we are out. I use it to wipe down carts in stores as well. We use the hand soap and the essential oil in baths. If we feel something coming on we take a drop in a glass of water. My husband also uses the lozenges. He hasn't gotten a cold at all this fall/winter.

Here is the link: http://www.youngliving.us/products.asp

Elderberry works great also!

Back to Top View monique's Profile Search for other posts by monique

10 Bright Stars
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 17 2008 at 10:55am | IP Logged Quote 10 Bright Stars

Maryilyn,

Very interesting post as we are all going through a flu right now! We just got back from a trip to Williamsburg, and I guess we must have picked something up. :>( I would be very interested to know what your power smoothie recipe consists of! We love smoothies around here and I am trying to figure out something to serve for breakfast that I could just use everyday as opposed to having something different every day of the school week. Cereal just doesn't work with the little ones and they get hungry right away. (We will start saving more involved breakfasts for the weekend.) Do you serve just the smoothie, or what do you have along with it?? (Just being nosey for ideas here. )

Anyway, I would love for this to be the first and last illness of the winter so I am printing out all of these recommendations!!!

Mary 12, Gracie 10,
Isabelle and Sophia 8,
Gabrielle 6,
William Anthony 4, Joseph 3 and Luisa Marie - born in M
Back to Top View 10 Bright Stars's Profile Search for other posts by 10 Bright Stars Visit 10 Bright Stars's Homepage

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 17 2008 at 11:42am | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

We usually have smoothies with oatmeal.

Variations of smoothie made in the vitamix

1)orange juice, yogurt, banana, flax oil (hidden!), coconut oil, frozen strawberries, frozen blueberries

2) raw milk, frozen peaches and strawberries, maple syrup, flax oil, bananas

3) kiefer, frozen strawberries and blueberries, banana, flax oil

My kids love to make orange frosties in the summer - they are good for sore throats in the winter too

- frozen canned orange juice, vanilla extract, banana, fresh milk - to a thick shake like consistency

10 Bright Stars
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 17 2008 at 3:36pm | IP Logged Quote 10 Bright Stars

Marilyn,

Sort of off topic, but:

Do you have a nice way to make oatmeal that the kids like? I like oatmeal with apples and cinnamon or raisins in it with a little brown sugar and maybe milk to cool it off a little. Half of my kids like oatmeal and like it the way I make it. Half of the kids hate oatmeal. Is there another good way to make it that kids will like???     

Mary 12, Gracie 10,
Isabelle and Sophia 8,
Gabrielle 6,
William Anthony 4, Joseph 3 and Luisa Marie - born in M
Back to Top View 10 Bright Stars's Profile Search for other posts by 10 Bright Stars Visit 10 Bright Stars's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 17 2008 at 4:30pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

I don't care for oatmeal myself, it's the texture. But I like these.. And they mix up and cook fast.. as long as I remember to start them an hour before bed I can make them up the night before for an easy morning.

Quote:
I usually double these and make them thicker in a slightly bigger pan.. and cook longer. Poking with your finger to see if it bounces back usually works.

Oatmeal Bars
1/2 c oil
1/2 c applesauce
1/2 c brown sugar
2 eggs
1 t vanilla
2 t cinnamon
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t baking pwd
1/2 t salt
1 1/2 c. whole wheat flour
3 c. oats
1 c raisins (optional)

mix together and spread in a greased 9x11 cake pan. bake at 350 for 20 min.

or

1/2 c oil
1/2 c apple sauce
1/2 c honey
1 t vanilla
2 t cinnamon
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t baking pwd
1/2 t salt
1 1/2 c. whole wheat flour
3 c. oats
1 c raisins (optional)

mix together and spread in a greased 9x11 cake pan. bake at 350 for 20 min

and I do lots of variation like replace the apple sauce with cranberry sauce and use dried cranberries instead of raisins.. or blend up other fruit to use like peaches.. or add nuts.. probably could use banana.. I haven't tried that though.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Jenn Sal
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 17 2008 at 7:59pm | IP Logged Quote Jenn Sal

I just picked up my "flu prevention" concoction at Whole Foods this morning. Liquid Echinacea, vit. c chewables, zinc chewables, acidopholis powder and a power food powder. I've read that you should give the echinacea for 5 weeks, take 2 off, then start them again. The kids eat the chewables and I put the powders in their smoothies. Wish us luck!

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 23 2008 at 5:20pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Eight Wonders wrote:
Marilyn,

Sort of off topic, but:

Do you have a nice way to make oatmeal that the kids like? I like oatmeal with apples and cinnamon or raisins in it with a little brown sugar and maybe milk to cool it off a little. Half of my kids like oatmeal and like it the way I make it. Half of the kids hate oatmeal. Is there another good way to make it that kids will like???     

Kim - I used to do crockpot oatmeal - and in the morning add maple syrup, raisins and a pinch of salt. Now with the crockpot scare I do it stovetop - cook it half milk and half water, pinch of salt, maple syrup and raisins. The kids love it - even the baby, and I add the baby's probiotic powder to it.

Another alternative for oats is to make your own granola - I make giant batches of it and the kids eat it for breakfast and snack - on its own, with yogurt or milk. Let me know if you want the recipe.

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 23 2008 at 5:23pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Forgot to mention our very effective and tasty remedy - chicken soup! I am just making a huge pot - Christmas and New Year are times we tend to pick up viruses because of big gatherings and lots of sugar!! So we are going to armor ourselves with lots of chicken soup - with garlic, vegetables, rice in it. I like to add a touch of Cayenne pepper sauce to my own bowl

D. Marie
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Dec 23 2008 at 7:56pm | IP Logged Quote D. Marie

Marilyn,
I would like to see your recipe for homemade granola. Do you have any tips on how to make the granola come out softer, not so crunchy? I want to say it depends on how long you cook it? I have a recipe in the Whole Foods for the Whole Family, just haven't tried it and it gives so many combinations.

Blessings of peace and joy to all,
Diane

Back to Top View D. Marie's Profile Search for other posts by D. Marie

DeAnn M
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 26 2008 at 10:03am | IP Logged Quote DeAnn M

I've just discovered Elderberry syrup. You can get it at the healthfood store. My favorite kind is called, "Berrywell." It includes elderberry, raw honey, apple cider vinegar, and echinacea. It can be used for prevention and as soon as you see signs of sickness. It has been great. The company that sells it online is called, Beeyoutiful. I really love all of their products.

Hope that helps.

DeAnn
Back to Top View DeAnn M's Profile Search for other posts by DeAnn M

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 27 2008 at 6:21am | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

I had never heard of elderberry, but I've been doing alot of reading about it. I have found a nursery in my state that sells the plants, I think I'd like to grow it for the purpose of making the syrup...I found a recipe for it as well.

In the meantime, for next winter, I've found a place that sells the syrup, so I look forward to using it winter, next year!

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 06 2009 at 6:30pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

I just received my winter order of supplements/prevention stuff - hopefully it will mean we do not get cold or flu!!

Goodies:

Hylands homeopathic flu
Sambucus elderberry syrup
PB8 Acidophilus
B&T homeopathic Children's Cough and Bronchial syrup
Concentrace TRACE mineral drops (could not find terramin clay)
Hylands Earache Tablet
Organic Throat Coat Tea (traditional medicinals)
Organic Breathe Easy Tea (Traditional Medicinals)
Rainbow Light Active Teen Mulitvitamin for my dd
Natures parade multivitamins chewable for the younger children
Olbas oil

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 06 2009 at 6:38pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Oh it's always so fun recieving a big order like that.. makes me feel so good to be all stocked up (whether foods or meds or whatever )

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 26 2009 at 8:51pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Bumping this up as we start the new school year. Last winter was horrid for us - the worst illness in years. I am trying to get together my col/flu arsenal again - anyone go anything to add to the suggestions above?

SusanMc
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 27 2009 at 6:38am | IP Logged Quote SusanMc

What a timely thread as we are discussing how to limit our exposure/impact to cold and flu viruses particularly, H1N1. DH works at a university so I am mostly concerned about what he brings home with him from the students/professors who are travelling back to campus.

We're handwashing more often and trying to stay on top of nutrition (this thread is very helpful) and sleep.

Does anyone know if there is any evidence that going to a shoeless household would help? My DH is willing as long as there is some evidence that it is effective.
Back to Top View SusanMc's Profile Search for other posts by SusanMc

Stephanie_Q
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 01 2009 at 4:16pm | IP Logged Quote Stephanie_Q

That is quite a list, Marilyn! Are all those supplements / prevention safe for a pg or nursing mom, then? I am / will me this year; dh works at a hospital...and none of us want to get either flu vaccine "regular" or "H1N1".

My MIL gave us a cup of elderberries (Sambucus) with instructions to make an anti-viral with vodka that works better than Tamiflu if you get sick. Is this the "syrup" everyone has mentioned? I'd appreciate some links from those of you who are experienced with this. The meager info I have just has adult dosing and I'm not ready to do it w/out more info, but rather than reinventing the wheel...?

Baby boy due 10.13
Back to Top View Stephanie_Q's Profile Search for other posts by Stephanie_Q Visit Stephanie_Q's Homepage

Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version