Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: melted cheese, sandwiches and more Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Dec 12 2008 at 1:28pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

I wasn't eating much cheese for the past year because it became so expensive. Well, I love cheese and have starting putting it back into our meals and boy do I appreciate it!

My dd has been on a roll making baked cheese sandwiches which are even better than grilled cheese sandwiches...easier to make bulk and I love the texture. From there I found...

grilled apple and swiss cheese...yum!

My old standby is grilled cheese with tomato, onion, and mayo...love it!

I also love baked brie. I just take a wedge of brie, place it in a baking dish and bake on 350 until melted. Dip yummy crusty fluffy or hearty bread chunks in it....oooooooooo I'm droolin'.

Ladies, please add to my melted cheese love. How do you like your cheese melted?

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 12 2008 at 1:37pm | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

We love love love this sandwich. My husband and I have them as late night snack - he'll call me from work and say "Can we have melty's and beer tonight??"   

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Dec 12 2008 at 1:41pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Oh Lisa, I love the tutorial...now THERE'S a melted cheese fan! I can't believe I haven't thought to put my green chilies on my sandwich - duh!

Looking at the special sauce, I'm digressing here, but it reminded me of another sauce I haven't made in a while - honey mustard: 1 T mustard, 1 T honey, 1 T vinegar. This is nice for dipping or as a salad dressing.

Thanks!

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 12 2008 at 1:47pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

Well, this isn't strictly grilled cheese, but when I make it for myself (and really, I'm the only one here who can eat it legally -- the others are allergic to stuff in it) I put LOTS of cheese in:

the Kentucky Hot Brown

I also like taleggio grilled in raisin bread.

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 12 2008 at 1:48pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

oh don't forget quesadillas..

just cheese and tortilla.. heated on a griddle.. or add green chiles.. or chopped meat.. or.. or.. yummy

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Betsy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 12 2008 at 1:58pm | IP Logged Quote Betsy

We LOVE homemade pizza here.

Trader Joe's has a great crust (which your sister told me about Angie) and we use our raw milk cheese from our beloved Amish farmer Samuel in IN (love to link to him,but he hasn't set up his website yet )!!!

Betsy
Back to Top View Betsy's Profile Search for other posts by Betsy

Mary Chris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 12 2008 at 2:36pm | IP Logged Quote Mary Chris

I don't have any recipes, I am a boring grilled cheese on sourdough gal myself. I just wanted to say, I do love the Pioneer Woman, she cracks me up.    

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 12 2008 at 3:55pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Add honey and walnuts before sticking your brie in the oven. Yum! Raspberry preserves are also good!

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

juststartn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 12 2008 at 8:17pm | IP Logged Quote juststartn

Paula Deen has a baked brie she wraps in puff pastry like a package...would be a great way to dress it up for a party

Rachel (who likes cheese. Cheese. And more cheese)

Sophia 4/19/04
John 5/7/07
David 5/7/07
Ava Maria, in the arms of Jesus, 9/5/08
Back to Top View juststartn's Profile Search for other posts by juststartn

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 12 2008 at 8:27pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

it's not baked or melted but that honey and walnut reminded me..

I love mixing cream cheese with chopped walnuts and honey to taste for a spead for bagels or croissants.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 12 2008 at 8:52pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

The big standby around here is either melted cheddar on tortilla or melted cheddar on wheat thins or triscuit -- both done in the microwave so even the just-turned-six yo can do it! He was so proud earlier this week as he "made lunch for mom"!

Definite cheese head here ... but poor dh ... his family are all fiber fiends and he just can't take all the cheese the kiddoes and I eat (and fiber doesn't seem to do anything good, bad or indifferent to me!)

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

kristina
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 12 2008 at 9:29pm | IP Logged Quote kristina

We make a couple of favorite grilled cheese sandwiches here.

The first one is a traditional grilled cheese with whatever cheese is on hand - usually provolone or extra sharp cheddar. It is especially good with a ciabatta loaf or any sort of crusty artisan bread. It then becomes a heart attack on a plate.. while the sandwiches are grilling, I place a ramekin on the cooking surface and fill with a dollop of butter, an equal amount of olive oil, a cracked and peeled clove of garlic and a twist of Alessi Dipping Spice. When the sandwiches are done I rub each side with half of a garlic clove (I think I learned that from Rachael Ray's 30 minute meals), sort of like bruschetta. Then we dip each bite in the heated butter/oil/spicy/garlic sauce. Not an everyday sandwich, but really yummy!

The other sandwich is my adapted version of The Morgan Sandwich at Hamburger Hamlet. It is a grilled cheese filled with turkey, avocado, mushrooms sauteed with garlic or garlic powder, shredded lettuce, sliced tomato and a tiny bit of mayo. I have broiled the cheese onto bulkie rolls or another favorite is provolone on grilled sourdough. I always heat the turkey for a few seconds in the garlicky mushroom pan. Messy and yummy.

This thread is making me hungry! I must be 8 months pregnant or something .

Blessings,

yesterthoughts
Back to Top View kristina's Profile Search for other posts by kristina

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 13 2008 at 9:05am | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

more melted cheese thoughts:

whole grain bread + raclette + whole grain mustard -- open-faced

and kristina, just last night i was drooling over a recipe i saw = smoked turkey + avocado + chipotle mayo + queso blanco or smoked mozzarella

yeah, 8 months pregnant = me too   

going now to a baby shower 12 ladies are throwing for me -- i'm going to get my thoughts out of cheese and into dim sum instead...

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

mellyrose
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 13 2008 at 8:12pm | IP Logged Quote mellyrose

Colin got the Shrek Cookbook for his birthday and he made the "Three Blind Mice Cheese Melts" tonight for dinner. Lydia & I thought they were yummy, the boys didn't.

1 egg
dash salt/pepper
dash worcestire sauce
1 cup shredded cheese
ham slices
2 english muffins

Toast English muffins. Beat egg. Add salt, pepper, worcestire sauce and cheese. Place ham slices on english muffin halves, top with cheese mixture. Broil until cheese is brown and bubbly.

Like I said, I thought they were yummy!

Pictures of our Life
Back to Top View mellyrose's Profile Search for other posts by mellyrose

Lara Sauer
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 15 2008 at 1:14pm | IP Logged Quote Lara Sauer

Rueben sandwiches or patty melts, anyone? YUM!

mimmyof5
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 15 2008 at 7:32pm | IP Logged Quote mimmyof5

Lisbet wrote:
We love love love this sandwich. My husband and I have them as late night snack - he'll call me from work and say "Can we have melty's and beer tonight??"   

I just made this sandwich for my dh and me for dinner tonight with tomato soup. It was fabulous. We're hooked.

Oh, my girls wouldn't eat it - just plain cheese for them.

Janet
Back to Top View mimmyof5's Profile Search for other posts by mimmyof5

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 16 2008 at 1:40am | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Lisbet wrote:

I can't believe there exists a blog post about how to make a sandwich that has FORTY-THREE pictures in it!!!!    

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

anniemm
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 17 2008 at 6:42pm | IP Logged Quote anniemm

My husband is a brie fanatic. We used to buy brie on pay day because it was the only time we could afford it! I have great, fond memories of eating "pay day brie" with my husband late at night after the littles went to bed!
Just to add an idea for another tasty way to eat it, we wrap a wheel of brie (don't use the extra soft type...it becomes a disaster!) in puff pastry. Before you close it on top, spread the top of the cheese with raspberry jam and bake it until the puff pastry is baked. Oh goodness, it is so delicious!!!

Mama to four little girls (04), (05), (07), (09),& my 1st little guy 11/11
www.hiswillmypeace.com
Back to Top View anniemm's Profile Search for other posts by anniemm Visit anniemm's Homepage

Jenn Sal
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 17 2008 at 7:40pm | IP Logged Quote Jenn Sal

Angie.....WELCOME BACK TO CHEESE!

You introduced me to the melted brie with fruit. I love to dip a nice raisin bread in that! YUMMMY!

BTW...the pizza dough from Trader Joes is whole wheat. Yeah, I got Betsy hooked!!!

Let us not forget a bean layered dip topped with lots of melted chedder cheese.    I just looked for an emoticon that drooled, but they don't seem to have one. Need one of those for this thread!

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Dec 17 2008 at 8:51pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Jenn Sal wrote:
Angie.....WELCOME BACK TO CHEESE!

It just ain't right for a Mulherin to go without cheese, and lots of it, for too long. Now I'm wondering if my difficulties of this past 1.5 yrs is linked in part to my lack of cheese intake! Well...I'll never make THAT mistake again!

Thanks for all the lucious ideas, friends.

Has anyone mentioned melty cheese omelettes?........what do you put in between your eggs and under your cheese?...Mushroom and onion - yum!

Love,

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version