Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
 4Real Forums : Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
Subject Topic: Weight Watchers? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
shartlesville
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 27 2007 at 4:03pm | IP Logged Quote shartlesville

Does anyone here use WW? I just joined last week and I was hoping we could start a thread to encourage one another.   

If you want more info about WW, I just posted to my blog about my previous experience.

Blessings,
Krisann

DGC Kira, Auston, Travis, & Sarah.
My Blog: Isla del Esperanza
Back to Top View shartlesville's Profile Search for other posts by shartlesville Visit shartlesville's Homepage

Bethany
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 27 2007 at 5:46pm | IP Logged Quote Bethany

Hi Krisann,

I've tried every diet out there, including WW, and began doing so when I was about 12yo. So, I know how to lose weight, I just haven't had any motivation since DD #3. She's 16 months old and I need to get back in control before any other blessings come along. Actually, I still have my WW points info so maybe that's where I should start. I definately need some encouragement! Maybe we should do our own online weigh in? Not sure I want to post that, but it would keep me accountable.

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 27 2007 at 8:07pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

I've been going between pregnancies and on and off since James was born. I'm at my goal, but obviously fighting gluttony is a lifelong battle! When I get a chance, I've been posting on Lean But not Mean which is Cindy's workout blog that she generously shares with us. There are tons of great ideas there; Leonie does tons of reviews of exercise tapes (you can request through Netflix if you want).

What do you think is the most challenging part of weight loss?

Matilda
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 27 2007 at 9:48pm | IP Logged Quote Matilda

I have never done WW but I am trying to lose about 30 pounds right now. I have a "healthy eating plan" and I exercise at my local Curves at least 3 nights a week. I would love an encouragement thread (not sure if I want to post my weight though). Maybe we could post pounds lost, helpful hints, etc...?

Waltzing Matilda
Back to Top View Matilda's Profile Search for other posts by Matilda

shartlesville
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 28 2007 at 2:03am | IP Logged Quote shartlesville

Motivation is probably one of the biggest challenges for me. Temptation rears its ugly head quite often too, . My kids love to bake!

If you want to do a "weigh in day" I vote for Friday because that will give us a chance to work off our weekends before we have to get on the scale .

I think it should be up to each individual whether they want to just list pounds lost or gained or if they want to include more details. No pressure, just encouragement.

My starting weight from last Wednesday is ......... yikes! 233 lb. My goal weight is 133 lb. by next February.

Blessings,
Krisann

Back to Top View shartlesville's Profile Search for other posts by shartlesville Visit shartlesville's Homepage

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 28 2007 at 6:48am | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

shartlesville wrote:
I think it should be up to each individual whether they want to just list pounds lost or gained or if they want to include more details. No pressure, just encouragement.

I need pressure and encouragement

This has been a bad winter for me. My starting weight is 190. I want to lose 60 pounds!

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 28 2007 at 12:58pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

When I delivered James, I was 176 lbs, and I am now 130 lbs. About half of that is due to chasing 6 kids and half is due to Weight Watchers.

How many of you (you don't really have to raise hands) started by going to confession? When my internal motivators aren't firing, I find clinging to my shiny soul helps me carry through. So since I went to confession Monday, I'm working hard to resist temptation. Boy it's tough! I've been overeating little by little so trying to get back to my healthful diet this week has left me HUNGRY. My knees remind me that keeping the weight off is worth it, though.

One thing I also like is having substitutions, like when I crave an afternoon sweet, I would generally have a flavored coffee with a little skim milk and sugar instead of 2 cookies. Or I would have 2 cookies cut from frozen dough instead of 2 brownies in a pan on the counter.

Today's substitution has been LaCroix flavored sparkling water. It's not sweet, but it's bubbly and flavorful and cool for when I'm tired of drinking plain water. Is it easy for you to drink water?

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 28 2007 at 1:49pm | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

Rachel May wrote:
Is it easy for you to drink water?

That is the easy part for me. The hard part is staying away from sweets...and chips...and tasting the food when I'm making a meal

hylabrook1
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 28 2007 at 2:13pm | IP Logged Quote hylabrook1

I did WW for a couple of years and only lost about 12 pounds (needed to loose more like 30). I know I didn't *do the program* very faithfully and mostly I attribute that to a sort of fatigue. What I mean is, to keep on the program felt to me like it required an alert vigilance; I needed to continually ask myself whether I was really hungry or whether the choice I was making, both as to which food and how much of that food, was the wisest choice, yada-yada-yada...

I know that's what it takes to change the habits that have me overweight, but I just keep feeling like I have enough details to think about and enough issues about which to be vigilant. I started to feel like I was obsessing about eating -- when, why, what, etc.

I really do want to lose those other 20 pounds, but I have yet to find an outlook or a system that I can stick with, that doesn't become just another stress. Does anyone know what I mean and/or have any suggestions?

Peace,
Nancy
Back to Top View hylabrook1's Profile Search for other posts by hylabrook1

Elena
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 28 2007 at 2:31pm | IP Logged Quote Elena

OK count me in Krisann! The only thing is, I am doing that You on a Diet! I don't want to weigh myself until my waist is two inches smaller. It's a mental thing. I could post measurments until then though!

One Day at a Time

Back to Top View Elena's Profile Search for other posts by Elena Visit Elena's Homepage

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 28 2007 at 3:37pm | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

I've used WW more than once to drop excess pregnancy weight, and my sil has used it successfully after at least 4 pregnancies. One of its strengths is that they offer a plan for nursing moms. I like it with this caveat: Its important to choose food that is healthy and nutrient dense rather than just 'within points' or its not really a healthy way to lose weight.

The thing I like about it the most is that I have a guideline for how much food is 'enough'. My idea of portion sizes had gotten a bit out of control after years of being pregnant or nursing.

~Books

mothering ds'93 dd'97 dd'99 dd'02 ds'05 ds'07 and due 9/10
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

jdostalik
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 28 2007 at 6:11pm | IP Logged Quote jdostalik

Hi Krisann and everyone,

I really like Weight Watchers. I started a thread on it a while back here.

I ended up losing 36 pounds over the course of 6 months and made lifetime membership the month I found out I was pregnant with my now 2 month old.

I plan on going back on program Easter Monday! And Margaret mentioned on her blog that you now get 12 extra points for nursing--when I was doing it, you only got 10! Whoopee!

I heartily recommend it ...When I was doing it, I was really motivated as the pounds came off fairly easily since I was still nursing my one year old. I also kept close to the sacraments, especially confession, because as I lost the weight, I was sorely tempted to become vain and obsessed with my appearance--a flaw of mine that was exacerbated by losing weight...

God bless everyone as we struggle to lose those unwanted pounds--with God's help, it is very possible!

Feel free to PM me if any of you have specific questions.

Let the Little Ones Come

Back to Top View jdostalik's Profile Search for other posts by jdostalik Visit jdostalik's Homepage

jdostalik
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 28 2007 at 6:14pm | IP Logged Quote jdostalik

Oops, Krisann--you know probably know more about WW than me...just checked your blog--I love your blue dress btw--a beautiful color! Praying for you and success with your weight loss adventure! I'll edit my post right now, too!

Let the Little Ones Come

Back to Top View jdostalik's Profile Search for other posts by jdostalik Visit jdostalik's Homepage

shartlesville
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 28 2007 at 7:49pm | IP Logged Quote shartlesville

Elena wrote:
OK count me in Krisann! The only thing is, I am doing that You on a Diet! I don't want to weigh myself until my waist is two inches smaller. It's a mental thing. I could post measurments until then though!

I was thinking about doing measurements along with tracking pounds because sometimes you lose inches even when you don't lose pounds, especially if you are exercizing.

Rachel May wrote:

Is it easy for you to drink water?

It used to be really hard for me but I forced myself to drink it and after a few weeks it became much easier. Now I prefer it to almost anything else.

I had the same problem with diet soda when I started WW the first time. Working at McDonald's, I had soda in front of me all the time and I didn't want to waste my points on soda so I forced myself to drink diet. After two weeks it tasted like regular soda and now I have to make sure they really gave me diet because sometimes it tastes too sweet.

jdostalik wrote:
Oops, Krisann--you know probably know more about WW than me...just checked your blog--I love your blue dress btw--a beautiful color! Praying for you and success with your weight loss adventure! I'll edit my post right now, too!

I actually followed the points with books my mother sent me and some online info about how the points worked. I didn't actually join the first time and I didn't know you get extra points for breastfeeding either until I signed up.

Thanks about the dress, the photo makes it look blue but it is actually purple - I looked like a giant velvet grape. I can't wait to lose this weight and buy something really nice next year!

BTW, I went out and purchased a new scale today. It tells you your weight, body fat %, hydration level and how far you are from your goal weight. It was a little frustrating setting it up but that was my fault, I didn't read the instructions, .

My body fat is awful! 45.8% but my dh got on it and his is 65.9%! Yikes!! We both have some serious work to do.

Blessings,
Krisann

Leonie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 28 2007 at 8:52pm | IP Logged Quote Leonie

Hi Krisann,

Love your WW post on your blog!

I also find a journal helps me - I journal about once a week, about how I'm going with food and workouts. I tend to be an emotional eater and this journal helps me.

Working out had made the bigest difference to how my body looks and to how I feel about my body ( more powerful, better self acceptance, etc). I think your plan of WW and workouts sounds cool!

Feel free to check in at the Lean But Not Mean blog, too - we welcome more check ins!

SharonO
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: March 28 2007 at 9:39pm | IP Logged Quote SharonO

shartlesville wrote:

BTW, I went out and purchased a new scale today. It tells you your weight, body fat %, hydration level and how far you are from your goal weight. It was a little frustrating setting it up but that was my fault, I didn't read the instructions, .

My body fat is awful! 45.8% but my dh got on it and his is 65.9%! Yikes!! We both have some serious work to do.

Blessings,
Krisann

Krisann-
What brand of scale did you get? Where did you buy it? Our scale quit working on us and I need to purchase a new one.

I will be tracking right along with you. We leave for Maui in 73 days! I've been meaning to start since, well...last June, last fall, New Years,... I guess I'm running out of time. I need to lose about 125 pounds altogether , but 15-20 would help me fit into my summer clothes from last year at least.

humanaevitae
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 28 2007 at 9:51pm | IP Logged Quote humanaevitae

I just joined WW with the 25% off code. I haven't done anything like this before so I hope I can figure it out!

shartlesville
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 28 2007 at 11:32pm | IP Logged Quote shartlesville

Leonie wrote:

I also find a journal helps me - I journal about once a week, about how I'm going with food and workouts. I tend to be an emotional eater and this journal helps me.

Feel free to check in at the Lean But Not Mean blog, too - we welcome more check ins!

I figure if I post it out there for the world to see, I will be more likely to stay committed.       

What is the address for the blog?

SharonO wrote:

Krisann-
What brand of scale did you get? Where did you buy it? Our scale quit working on us and I need to purchase a new one.

I will be tracking right along with you. We leave for Maui in 73 days! I've been meaning to start since, well...last June, last fall, New Years,... I guess I'm running out of time. I need to lose about 125 pounds altogether , but 15-20 would help me fit into my summer clothes from last year at least.

I bought a "Healthometer - The Doctor's Scale" Professional Body Fat Monitoring Scale. It was $38.?? at Wal-Mart. There is a website listed on the box but I haven't visited so I am not sure if it shows it or not.

humanaevitae wrote:
I just joined WW with the 25% off code. I haven't done anything like this before so I hope I can figure it out!

25% off??? Where did you find that?    I signed up for the free 1 week trial that then costs $65 for the first 3 months and $16.95 (or is it $19.95?) per month after. The $65 includes a $29 sign-up fee. I figure for $5 or less per week to lose weight it is a good investment.

If you need help, just ask. I am sure one of us can help you get started.   

Blessings,
Krisann

Kathryn UK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 29 2007 at 11:50am | IP Logged Quote Kathryn UK

I have done WW a couple of times and I could definitely do with starting again. I don't want to go to the classes again but I always do better with extra motivation so accountability here would be good. I am 178lbs and would be happy with losing 20lbs.

A question about the extra points for nursing - would it be 12 extra whatever the age of the baby? My nine month old still nurses quite a lot, day and night, but also eats plenty of "real" food.

Back to Top View Kathryn UK's Profile Search for other posts by Kathryn UK

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 29 2007 at 12:26pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

Kathryn,

When I start weaning, I just watch and see if the nursing points keep my milk supply adequate and if I am still losing. They recommend not losing more than 1 lb per week after the first week. With everyone, I've used all the extra points until they were weaned at about 1 year.

James is 11 mo, and I still use all my nursing points. He nurses first, and then eats a small meal 3 times a day plus snacks sometimes and nursing only sometimes, but he won't drink from anything but mom.

I hope that helps.   

Page of 8 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version