Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Weight Watchers Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
jdostalik
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 16 2005 at 1:26pm | IP Logged Quote jdostalik

Okay...I am really seriously thinking of joining Weight Watchers. I am now ONE YEAR postpartum and have hit the wall as far as weight loss from nursing goes!

Can anyone offer advice about Weight Watchers--is it worth the money? I have heard about their point system and was wondering what a normal day of eating would be like on their plan...Like, how many points would I have to work with and how would that translate food-wise?

I have never been a dieter, I often eat chocolate when I am having a bad day or even a good day... Do you think I could do WW??

Anybody willing to PM me and answer a few questions? Thanks so much!

Let the Little Ones Come

Back to Top View jdostalik's Profile Search for other posts by jdostalik Visit jdostalik's Homepage

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 16 2005 at 2:32pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Jennifer -- I don't know how old you are, but I had John-Paul at 41 and he'll be 3 in November and I'm still not back to "fighting weight".

I didn't know what was going on becuase I was not eating as much, I was exercising, etc. I just finished reading a book, Outsmarting the Midlife Fat Cell by Waterhouse. She explains that from about 35 -55 or so, women's fat cells are changing to start producing the estrogen that is no longer being produced elsewhere. This is for all of us -- perimenopausal as well as menopausal. It just makes it all that much harder to lose weight. Waterhouse talks about how you can get it in control by (duh ) eating right, exercising, and relaxing and not worrying so much.

She recommended another book, Estrogen the Natural Way by Nina Shandler where the recipes are pretty darn good (she recommends lots of soy and flaxseed) -- many of these are just great recipes that are helathier eating even if they do have tofu in them. As a matter of fact, I made low-fat, tofu rich, potato pancakes that my kids loved -- I didn't tell them about the tofu until after. I also made a chocolate cream pie with tofu & cocoa making up the pudding part and they loved that too! [Of course, now if I make anything new, they're sure there's tofu in it!].

So, maybe just save the money from joining Weight Watchers, read these books if you think they might apply -- and more importantly, relax and enjoy the babies!

Blessings

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

TracyQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 16 2005 at 9:58pm | IP Logged Quote TracyQ

Jennifer,
    I can tell you that Weight Watchers is a GREAT tool for losing weight, as long as you're very SERIOUS about being obedient to Christ, and truly desiring a change for the sake of being the best you that you can be!

I have been on Weight Watchers (using the online service, not the meetings) for 5 months now, and just today recorded another pound gone for a grand total of a loss of 33 POUNDS!!!!!! I have 120 total pounds to lose, and I know this will be a process that is not easy, and will require perserverance, obedience, and determination. God and I are winning the race here!

It is NOT easy, but WW has really taught me so much about how to eat, how much to eat, what I need to eat, and the lifestyle change I needed to make in order to live a more healthy lifestyle. It IS VERY hard, but it's something I am SO happy that I'm doing. I feel better physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually, and that is a HUGE blessing!

There are many tools you can use that will work. But NONE will work as sensibly as Weight Watchers in my very humble opinion (and I've used a lot). BUT, NONE will work period unless you are truly ready to make the commitment to change. It's a heart's desire for change, with prayer for a fervent desire for change and help from the Lord that is the KEY to losing weight, and living a more healthy lifestyle. That's what I found is the answer and the key to change, no matter what tool the Lord leads you to use in order to do it.

I hope this helps, and if you have ANY other questions, please feel free to email me privately about WW anytime with any questions.

homeschooling in 15th year in Buffalo, NY
Back to Top View TracyQ's Profile Search for other posts by TracyQ

Kathryn UK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 17 2005 at 8:43am | IP Logged Quote Kathryn UK

Jennifer, I like food (and chocolate ) and I can do Weight Watchers. I went to the classes about 3 years ago and lost 21lbs in about 6 months, which took me to my goal weight. Since then when the weight creeps back on - remember, I like food - I just go back to counting points for however long it takes to get back to where I want to be. It works for me because it is simple, nothing is banned, and it helps to re-educate my eating patterns and replace bad habits with good ones.

Back to Top View Kathryn UK's Profile Search for other posts by Kathryn UK

jdostalik
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 17 2005 at 2:47pm | IP Logged Quote jdostalik

Mary,

Thanks so much for the book recommendations! I'm going to put them on hold at the library and pick them up next week. I will be 40 this year, so I know that weight loss is not going to get any easier!

Thanks so much for taking the time to share.

Let the Little Ones Come

Back to Top View jdostalik's Profile Search for other posts by jdostalik Visit jdostalik's Homepage

jdostalik
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 17 2005 at 3:01pm | IP Logged Quote jdostalik

Tracy and Kathryn,

Thanks so much for your insights. Tracy, I'm with you...that is why I am really praying about this and seeking God's will. I do not want to do this if I am not really ready to change some of my lazy/bad habits. I want to have more energy for my family and to feel better. It is sounding like Weight Watchers would be a good way to try and lose weight. Kathryn, I would feel too deprived if I couldn't have an occasional piece of chocolate, it's nice to know you can relate!

Let the Little Ones Come

TracyQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 17 2005 at 3:27pm | IP Logged Quote TracyQ

Jennifer,
     I turned 40 last November, and felt very much the same way you are feeling.

And since losing 33 pounds, I DO have more energy now! LOTS more! I'm walking with my daughter, and able to do things I wasn't able to do before having to lose this 120 pounds!

You can do this, Jennifer. One day and one baby step at a time. But there's two things you need to have planted in your heart before starting. One is obedience as I already spoke of. And two is that NOBODY expects you to be perfect, so you MUST not allow yourself to expect you to be perfect either.

I'm learning........slowly but surely, I'm finally learning!   

jdostalik
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 17 2005 at 5:40pm | IP Logged Quote jdostalik

Tracy,

Thanks for the encouragement...I know I'm not perfect, believe you me! My children are very good at helping me to grow in the virtues--humility, patience, you know!

I appreciate your wisdom and experience...What an inspiration you are...you are doing great!! That is terrific that your energy level is so high!

Would it be okay to PM you for pep talks if I need them, once I start?

Let the Little Ones Come

TracyQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 17 2005 at 7:00pm | IP Logged Quote TracyQ

jdostalik wrote:

Would it be okay to PM you for pep talks if I need them, once I start?

Absolutely Jennifer!!! Absolutely. ANY time! I LOVE to encourage others on this journey.

The reason I mentioned not expecting yourself to be perfect, is because I am quite the perfectionist, expecting myself to do much more and be so much better than others even expect me to be! I am not perfect, and know I'm not, but sometimes I am just too hard on myself, and if I don't do it to my expectations, I give up easily.

Thankfully, I'm working on it, and the Lord is helping me to change in this area.

Leonie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 17 2005 at 7:07pm | IP Logged Quote Leonie

Tracy,

I just wanted to congratulate you on your weight loss and committment.

Way to go!

TracyQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 17 2005 at 7:50pm | IP Logged Quote TracyQ

Oh, thank you so much, Leonie! That is SO sweet! It's only by the grace of God that I have lost even one pound or that my commitment is so strong. He is an amazing God! Thanks again!

mrsgranola
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 17 2005 at 9:24pm | IP Logged Quote mrsgranola

Argh, y'all must be reading my mind b/c I've been considering WW lately, too. I need to lose a great deal but I know it won't get done unless I really make it a priority. I'm about to turn 35 and I've always had a weight problem, more or less. Right now I think taking off 50 lbs would be a dream come true! And then another 25 wouldn't be bad, either...

JoAnna

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: Sept 18 2005 at 12:42am | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

Jennifer, I highly recommend the Weight Watchers point system. I lost 33 pounds over a year ago now. The first ten were lost by simply cutting back on junk food. The next 23 were lost through WW. I must confess to having let 5-6 pounds creep back on this past summer. I really need to get in gear and start counting points again.

I love that no foods are off limits. I could never do a low carb diet. I love breads and sweets too much! I tended to save 2-3 points each day for a sweet treat. Often it was chocolate.

Congratulations to you Tracy! Your success thus far is great!

TracyQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 18 2005 at 7:30am | IP Logged Quote TracyQ

JoAnna,
    I have 120 pounds total to lose (somewhere around there). I'm not so much focused on the number on the scale, as I am about a complete change in my life of seeking the Lord every single day, and being obedient to His will regarding all things He's given to me as a gift, and to that which He's called me......my life, my body, my health, my husband, my children, our home, my vocation.

I made the decision to get my act together basically, and changes have been happening in this home, and to me. But it can't be done overnight, like I used to wish it could happen. I had to resolve myself to the fact that this is a process, and that the process is really about the Lord teaching me some very important lessons along the way, and that the process is every bit as important as reaching the goal itself.

The number on the scale, He'll take care of. And the changes to my heart, He'll take care of to, if I just fervently desire change with all of my heart, and keep asking Him for that desire.

The key is that first, and to move forward every day in little steps as you can. My motto, in case it may help you has been a blessing, it's NO GUILT........MOVE FORWARD.........NEVER GIVE UP!

Every body is different. Every life is different and unique, and only you and the Lord know the tools you need to use, and the changes you need to make in your life. Seek Him first, and seek Him always regarding those changes, and I promise you that He'll be faithful to not only equip you on the journey, but to walk with you on it, and often times to carry you on it as well.   

I'm here to encourage you ANY time you need it!

Blessings and Peace,
Tracy

jdostalik
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 18 2005 at 9:05am | IP Logged Quote jdostalik

teachingmom wrote:

I love that no foods are off limits. I could never do a low carb diet. I love breads and sweets too much! I tended to save 2-3 points each day for a sweet treat. Often it was chocolate.

This is me to a T!      I am going to my first meeting this week and want to thank everyone for their encouragement and for all the information as well.

Let the Little Ones Come

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 19 2005 at 1:33pm | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

I'm wondering if this thread is an answer to prayer. I too have been contemplating WW. My struggle is that, with my dh's schedule, it will be almost impossible for me to go to meetings. We just can't afford too many baby sitters, and I'd rather use the times we can afford them for evenings out with my husband! Is there a way to do WW effectively without attending meetings?
Becky
Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

TracyQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 19 2005 at 1:36pm | IP Logged Quote TracyQ

Becky,
    I don't go to meetings. I use Weight Watchers online, for several reasons.

#1- money (it costs less)
#2- time
#3- because I know that if I can't do this using my own will for obedience to Christ, that I can't do it period.

That is my choice, and what is working for my unique situation and life, but for me, WW online has been very effective, and a great alternative.

Hope this helps.
Tracy

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Sept 19 2005 at 1:44pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

I used Weight Watchers online with some success after baby #6. Actually, looking back, it was great success but it wasn't very long enjoyed as I got pregnant about the same time I hit my goal. I think Irene did it without meetings and she's definitely a testimony to success--both in getting the weight off and maintaining !

My question for long-time success stories is do you keep counting points forever? One thing that did catch me up was overanalyzing points. I'd either eat nothing in combination, something that was exactly in the books, or very simple, easily measured foods. It became wearying...
Still, nothing else has really worked this time. I go to Curves five days a week. I joined a year ago today. I still weigh five pounds more than when I joined . Now, I may have gained five pounds of muscle (I'm definitely stronger) but it would have been nice to have lost at least five pounds of fat. At this point, Id'settle happily for even.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 19 2005 at 2:00pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

My mother just looked into Weight WAtchers...she was all ready to go when she found out it was group sessions, not an individual thing unless she went online. She wants to answer to someone, but not be in a group. She's not a joiner. I'm just inserting that just in case that would throw one off. For me, it would. My weight loss and gain I consider something personal. I want to chose whom I share this information about me!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

TracyQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 19 2005 at 4:30pm | IP Logged Quote TracyQ

Elizabeth,
     I'm only 5 months into it, so I'm pretty new. But I can see as time goes on that I can figure points in my head quite quickly, and sort of figure out combination foods as well.

Online, they have a recipe builder for instance, and you can put the ingredients in, and then it figures out the points for you, so that has helped.

I can see myself getting to the maintaining point, and knowing how to eat to maintain. It's becoming more natural to me now, and more a habit to eat more healthy. It's even becoming more of what I crave, to eat much more healthy.

I never realized just how UNhealthy I was eating until I learned so much more about proper nutrition from being on WW. You don't have to be bored with your eating, there are so many choices. But you do have to use it awhile before that part becomes more *natural* to you if that makes sense. It's really a development of a new life habit.

I hope that helps some.

Congratulations on going to Curves and developing an exercise habit! That's REALLY great, and something I'm trying to do, but not succeeding in as much. I'm working on it though.
Tracy

Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version