Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: I really want to learn to sew! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
time4tea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 05 2011 at 12:17pm | IP Logged Quote time4tea

I really want to learn to machine sew and I am trying to find the best way to learn. I really cannot attend classes, so I am trying to find a way to learn at home, on my own. I have a lot of experience hand sewing things, such as quilts, etc., but I have a sewing machine that my in-laws gave me years ago now, and I would like to make the transition to using it!

My goal is to be able to make some costumes for my dd, who dances classical ballet, in order to save some money. I am also often asked to make repairs, refurbish costumes (mostly tutus) so becoming more comfortable with my machine would also help with that.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated!

~Tea
Back to Top View time4tea's Profile Search for other posts by time4tea

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 05 2011 at 12:24pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

get some cheap fabric that you're not going to use for anything.. sit down with the book for your sewing machine.. keep your fingers out from under the needle and try all the different stitches out.. sew a long seam.. draw some S curves on the fabric and learn to follow the lines..

If you don't have the book on your machine.. look it up online.. a lot of tims those are free as a pdf.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 05 2011 at 12:29pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

in this thread I compiled past threads regarding beginning sewing and machines.

JennGM wrote:
I did a search in our archives, and this question has come up many times, so you might find some great wisdom from these.

This one in particular, Sarah asked the same question. I thought the conclusion of getting an adult machine for the family, and a sewing basket and books perhaps for your daughter. Child’s Sewing Machine

Threads on Sewing Machine Recommendations:
::When should I replace my sewing machine
::Sewing Machines
::Frustration Free Sewing Machine
::Beginning Sewing- Advice Needed
::Kenmore Sewing Machines
::Sewing Machine Purchase
::Sewing Machine Recommendations
::Sewing Machine Choices
::Sewing Machine, book for beginners
::Another Sewing Machine Question
::Sewing Machines?

Beginning Sewing Support
::Questions: Sewing Supplies and Equipment
::Learning to Sew
::Teaching Sewing
::Beginner’s Sewing Books
::Learning to Use a Sewing Machine
::Beginning Sewing – Straight Lines

I did find these free webinars at homeschoolblogger which I followed along one to see if they were helpful. I thought it was well-done and practical, covering the basics.

And take a stroll through your library catalog and shelves and check out the books on sewing. I've found some great helps.

Some of the ladies in our local homeschool group were brainstorming on ways we could get together one night or two during a month and learn some of these womanly arts. It is helpful to have a friend who does sew to walk you through some things.

Make sure you find a manual to your in-law's machine. Depending on age, you might not be able to do buttonholes or knits on it. Caring for your machine is one of the first steps of learning to machine sew, starting with a good cleaning and oiling.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Servant2theKing
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 05 2011 at 12:55pm | IP Logged Quote Servant2theKing

While trying to teach myself to knit dishcloths this winter, I found several DVD's and YouTube demonstrations on the basics of knitting. You could probably find video sewing demonstrations online or through your library. I found live demonstrations much more helpful than books.

This website has many tips on remaking dance costumes and links to several sites that might be helpful:
http://thankevann.com/homeschoolgoodies/?page_id=521

time4tea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 05 2011 at 1:20pm | IP Logged Quote time4tea

Wow! Thank you Jodie, Jenn and Servant2theKing! Lots of great information in the links you have each provided!

Servant2theKing - did you find that you were able to learn to knit using the dvd's and YouTube demonstrations? I am really hoping to make this work on my own. I would love to take a class, such as at JoAnn, but I just can't do it now, $$ or time wise.

~Tea

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 05 2011 at 1:22pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

At the library you can get great books like the SInger Sewing Bible to help you get started, also. I like books like that... they start you off with simple projects so you get to make things right away.

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

time4tea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 05 2011 at 1:24pm | IP Logged Quote time4tea

Servant2theKing wrote:
This website has many tips on remaking dance costumes and links to several sites that might be helpful:
http://thankevann.com/homeschoolgoodies/?page_id=521

Thank you for mentioning this site to me! I actually ran across this site, quite by accident, when I was looking for a Flames of Paris costume pattern for my dd, who will be performing that variation in the next several months. Dd and I found it as such a neat coincidence that this Catholic homeschooling website would have information on the very costume we are looking to create!

~Tea

time4tea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 05 2011 at 1:25pm | IP Logged Quote time4tea

Melinda,

I will check our library for that book, it sounds like it would be a wonderful resource!

~Tea

Servant2theKing
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 05 2011 at 2:15pm | IP Logged Quote Servant2theKing

Tea, I was much better able to follow directions with videos from the library and YouTube for learning to knit than I have been by using books. Mind you, I have only been able to teach myself to knit dishlcoths so far! But I'm practicing and have great hopes of branching out into more complicated projects, someday!

I have a lot of difficulty following written directions for most crafts, including sewing, because I am left-handed and quite directionally impaired (I have a great deal of trouble with left/right or NSEW perception). For sewing I have usually made things up as I go along. I recently altered a dress to create a tunic top and had to simply wing it, knowing I could probably never find or follow anyone else's directions for doing so!

Surprisingly, close-up views provided with most of the DVDs or YouTube instructions I found for knitting have not been nearly as difficult for me to follow as in-person demonstrations from family of friends, or the various styles of books I had borrowed from the library. If you find sewing videos out there I highly suggest you give them a try!

It's uncanny how you ran across the same website while looking for costumes for your dd's costume! The wonders of the internet in one of its best uses!

time4tea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 05 2011 at 2:31pm | IP Logged Quote time4tea

Servant2theKing wrote:
I have a lot of difficulty following written directions for most crafts, including sewing, because I am left-handed and quite directionally impaired (I have a great deal of trouble with left/right or NSEW perception). For sewing I have usually made things up as I go along. I recently altered a dress to create a tunic top and had to simply wing it, knowing I could probably never find or follow anyone else's directions for doing so!

I completely understand where you are coming from here, as I have the same problems you are describing. I am not left-handed, but I have a very hard time with directional perception and find it incredibly difficult to follow written instructions, even when they are accompanied by photographs. This is one of the reasons I have been so intimidated by sewing machines for so long, because the thought of reading and processing the instructions intimidates me . I know that must sound silly, but it's true!

~Tea

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 05 2011 at 2:37pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

New Complete Guide to Sewing and the Singer books that Melinda mentioned are some of the best basic and solid books. I use mine regularly for reference and reminders.

Servant, that's a good tip about the DVD, which reminds me of an older PBS series "Sewing with Nancy". You can see her website. Your library might have some of her DVDs.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

KC in TX
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 05 2011 at 5:44pm | IP Logged Quote KC in TX

I'm right in the midst of sewing ballet costumes for the studio's spring performance. Usually with bodices and such, you need to practice the curves and not stretching the fabric so you have one longer than the other by the time your finish the seam. Practice sewing on the bias so you don't pull the fabric.

PM me for any other helps when you run into a snag.   

Michaela ('01)
Emma ('03)
Jordan ('05)
And, my 2 angels, Rose ('08) and Mark ('09)

The Cabbage Patch
Back to Top View KC in TX's Profile Search for other posts by KC in TX

crusermom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 06 2011 at 9:50am | IP Logged Quote crusermom

There is a website You Can Make This that has patterns that really guide you through the process. You might pick an easy pattern from there and try it out. Pick something easy like a skirt - esp for a little girl - it is hard to go wrong with that.

Army wife and Crusermom to 8 wonderful children!
Back to Top View crusermom's Profile Search for other posts by crusermom

mommy4ever
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 06 2011 at 11:13am | IP Logged Quote mommy4ever

I second the You Can Make This site, some great beginner patterns written in English not patternese. Though eventually you do need to.

I would also recommend getting the machine serviced. I gave up on sewing because I couldn't do it. It was bunch, ball up the thread etc. When I got a new machine(for a whopping $259) I was able to sew, and learn. I progressed well. I went on to learn pattern drafting and dressmaking. I don't sew much now that we're homeschooling, it's just so busy. But i can do things easily when I do.
Back to Top View mommy4ever's Profile Search for other posts by mommy4ever

time4tea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 06 2011 at 3:30pm | IP Logged Quote time4tea

Well, we cannot locate the manual for the sewing machine, so I ordered one today at JoAnn for about $4.50 (we couldn't find it online, either). It is a 3.5 yr. old Viking Emerald 116, never used, given to us by my in-laws after our last dc was born. Does anyone have any experience with these sewing machines? It isn't top of the line, but it isn't supposed to be bargain basement, either, but I have no experience with sewing machine brands (at least not yet!), so I don't know!

~Tea

mommy4ever
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 06 2011 at 3:43pm | IP Logged Quote mommy4ever

Viking is a sweet machine usually. If it does start giving you issues, as I mentioned, service it! Even if it has sat, it's like a car, things dry out, once you get the manual look to see where you should lubricate it. DH, the mechanic, says any areas with metal on metal moving parts is usually a good place to start. But the manual will tell up.   

You're in for a real treat!
Back to Top View mommy4ever's Profile Search for other posts by mommy4ever

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version