Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Learning to use a sewing machine Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
nicole-amdg
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 12 2007 at 8:58pm | IP Logged Quote nicole-amdg

I have inherited 2 sewing machine tables and have never done much more than sew some pillows by hand. I have lots of samples of fabrics that I love, though. I've been shown a couple times how to sew a straight stitch with the machine, but I need practice. Oh, and I hate to waste fabric.

I keep telling myself I'm going to learn how to sew (a class, a book), but for now I just want to get familiar with using the machine. I can only do with so many pillows! Can anyone suggest some projects that are very simple--straight stitches, no changing bunches of stuff on the machine? I'm really sew-illiterate.

Back to Top View nicole-amdg's Profile Search for other posts by nicole-amdg

chicken lady
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 12 2007 at 9:21pm | IP Logged Quote chicken lady

What about some cloth napkins, super simple, you can use up scrap fabric by making a front and back, and you have a very useful end product.

You can also make pillow cases, plastic bag keepers(cut a retangle, hem the bottom, insert elastic, hem top, add a loop handle) trivets stuffed with rice and spices, simple aprons! Let me know if you need cleared directions.
Back to Top View chicken lady's Profile Search for other posts by chicken lady Visit chicken lady's Homepage

nicole-amdg
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 17 2007 at 5:34pm | IP Logged Quote nicole-amdg

These sound great! I've been wanting an apron. I also have been trying to think of things to make for dc, and came up with little floor cushions for reading mats, just simple squares that maybe I can stuff a flat pillow form into.

Back to Top View nicole-amdg's Profile Search for other posts by nicole-amdg

chicken lady
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 17 2007 at 5:49pm | IP Logged Quote chicken lady

Nicole, I pm'd you my basic apron pattern. Does anyone else want to share a simple pattern idea for an apron????   
Back to Top View chicken lady's Profile Search for other posts by chicken lady Visit chicken lady's Homepage

Cindy Mac
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 17 2007 at 10:36pm | IP Logged Quote Cindy Mac

Could I get a copy of that apron pattern? I'm a clutz when it comes to sewing - have a machine my neighbor gave me, but it's sitting on a shelf gathering dust. Would love to try something useful.

Kellys Klassroom Korner
St. Anne's Academy
Back to Top View Cindy Mac's Profile Search for other posts by Cindy Mac Visit Cindy Mac's Homepage

seven2hold
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 18 2007 at 7:56am | IP Logged Quote seven2hold

Chicken lady,

I'd love your apron pattern,too! I hope it is SIMPLE!   

Back to Top View seven2hold's Profile Search for other posts by seven2hold

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 18 2007 at 11:52am | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

Here's another one to check out:
Apron

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

Cici
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 18 2007 at 10:21pm | IP Logged Quote Cici

I don't know how complicated your machines are. But you might want to think about approaching it from the opposite direction.

What do you want to sew? Then find a simple pattern and go for it. Patterns are EVERYWHERE on the internet, and there are lots of blogs with free tutorials.

Do you have any girls? How about a twirly skirt from the House on Hill Road blog? It's basically sewing a tube and then adding elastic. Pillowcases for your children? There's a smocket pattern out there for little girls. Trace your favorite bib, add some seam allowances and make one of your own - use velcro if you don't have snaps. Cut out a shape and applique it onto a plain t-shirt.

The possibilities are endless, and (though I'm definitely a jump in with both feet and hope you don't drown kind of gal) much can be accomplished with a straight stitch, zig zag stich, iron, and seam ripper.

good luck!

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version