Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Frustration free sewing machine? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Dec 08 2008 at 9:18pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Aagh - is there such a thing?!!! My dd has a 35 stitch Singer - with the wind up bobbin that is driving us crazy. We have countless problems - mainly bobbin related.

Is there such a thing as a problem free machine - or do I just need more patience/

It is so hard to complete projects when the machine just does not work.

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 08 2008 at 11:03pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

has it been serviced recently? is there a shop you could go to and talk to someone about how it's supposed to work?

The better machines generally work better all around.. singers are not what they used to be. But generally as long as it's a fairly new machine they'll work fine.

But if you get someone to show you how it's supposed to be done.. you might figure out that you were doing something a bit wrong or learn any tricks for keeping it working.

I'm wanting a new machine myself.. I have a singer that my grandma bought a number of years ago.. I've had it serviced once but I think I'd rather replace than service it again.. when you can get a decent new machine (I'm looking at the janome because I can get it here in town and have it worked on.. anything else is pretty far away) for around 3 servicings.. you don't want to be messing with that too much unless it's a good machine that you don't want to replace.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

mathmama
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 09 2008 at 5:44am | IP Logged Quote mathmama

MarilynW wrote:
Aagh - is there such a thing?!!! My dd has a 35 stitch Singer - with the wind up bobbin that is driving us crazy. We have countless problems - mainly bobbin related.

Is there such a thing as a problem free machine - or do I just need more patience/

It is so hard to complete projects when the machine just does not work.

I had this problem with a really old machine that was handed down to me. I couldn't complete anything because the machine was giving me so much trouble. I went to Sears and bought essentially this machine. I sew all the time now! It hasn't given me any problems, and I really don't even know what I am doing

Beth
Back to Top View mathmama's Profile Search for other posts by mathmama

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 09 2008 at 6:46am | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Thanks for the advice. The machine is only a couple of years old - my dd had done some great clothes with it - but she has more patience than I do! I notice that when she sews with a friend (whose mother has a high tech one) - her friend is so much quicker as she never has any problems with bobbin, thread breaking, tension etc etc.

Jodie - I was looking at Janomes last night - the Janome Jem Gold was the one recommended to me a couple of years ago when I was looking for a good machine for dd - I just could not find a local dealer.

I would really like the drop in bobbin which apparently eliminates a lot of problems?

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 09 2008 at 7:01am | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

Here's the one we've used since 2002:

Janome MyExcel 3123 -- Before I bought it I e-mailed back and forth with Caprig (the reviewer) and got all my questions answered -- I also went back several times to our local dealer, asked questions, tried a few other machines, etc. For the price range we are really happy with this one. And it's 6 years later, and we're still happy.

You can even get it here for $300 -- which is about what I got it for if I remember correctly.

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 09 2008 at 7:25am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Reading this thread intently. My mother gifted me her old sewing machine and it's just as you describe, Marilyn. Now, even with multiple servicing, I can barely do one straight line of seams. So frustrating I never touch the thing!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

crusermom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 09 2008 at 8:08am | IP Logged Quote crusermom

My Janome rocks. It has been moved so many times. Dropped. Abused by young sewers. Never misses a beat. I have had it for nine years. I had a Singer before that and it was just trouble for me. I have a friend who bought a low end Brother and is really happy.

Mary

Army wife and Crusermom to 8 wonderful children!
Back to Top View crusermom's Profile Search for other posts by crusermom

LisaD
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 09 2008 at 8:31pm | IP Logged Quote LisaD

I am reading this thread closely! I have a 20+ year old Kenmore 12 stitch that is driving me nuts. On one hand, I have a sentimental attachment to it, since it sewed all my bridesmaids and my flower girl dresses for my wedding almost 14 years ago. On the other hand, a yearly service (which it really needs) costs a minimum of $100. That is more than the machine cost to begin with! Right now, I can't even sew over a mitred corner on light-medium weight fabric. It just won't do it. Frustrating, since cloth napkins for some friends were on my list for homemade Christmas gifts.

I looked on line, and there aren't any really close Janome authorized dealers/repair shops. The closest is 30 minutes or so away.

Maybe I should just get another Kenmore and quit complaining! The first one lasted more than 20 years, after all :)

KC in TX
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 09 2008 at 10:06pm | IP Logged Quote KC in TX

I have a Singer too but I'm on the lookout for a new machine. It frustrates me as well.

Michaela ('01)
Emma ('03)
Jordan ('05)
And, my 2 angels, Rose ('08) and Mark ('09)

The Cabbage Patch
Back to Top View KC in TX's Profile Search for other posts by KC in TX

4 lads mom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 10 2008 at 8:34am | IP Logged Quote 4 lads mom

I am a new sewer, I have a new Janome, and I really like it!! It was around $250, but came with a year's worth of lessons at the shop I got it at, and some other bells and whistles like that....it is a basic machine, not computerized, but really nice.

I hope you find one!!!

DianaC
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 10 2008 at 9:08am | IP Logged Quote DianaC

I have a Singer that I bought about 19 years ago and I've never had any problems with it. It is one where you drop in the bobbin and it winds itself. I believe the model is 6350. I first started out with a refurbished Singer (one that had been used in a high school) which worked beautifully and then traded it for the 6350 for the additional features.

My sister has Janome machines (sewing and embroidery) and I admit they have a nice smooth hum, but I couldn't justify trading and paying the new prices.
Back to Top View DianaC's Profile Search for other posts by DianaC

crusermom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 10 2008 at 9:24am | IP Logged Quote crusermom

I went to a sewing store in my new town looking for a zipper foot for my Janome, and I got the feeling that the woman working there didn't think they were very good machines. I think they sold Bernina and Brother. I looked at the prices on the berninas and some of them cost more than my car. I can just see the look on my DH face if I came home with one of those!

I am sort of looking for one for my daughter. Costco has one that looks pretty good and with their return policy would probably be the one I would get. If I ever do decide to get her one.

Mary

ladybugs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 10 2008 at 9:34am | IP Logged Quote ladybugs

Here are some sewing machines from Overstock.com.

My etsy store - all proceeds go to help my fencing daughters!
Back to Top View ladybugs's Profile Search for other posts by ladybugs Visit ladybugs's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 10 2008 at 9:35am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

What brand are you looking at Costco, Mary?

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

crusermom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 10 2008 at 9:38am | IP Logged Quote crusermom

It is a Brother and I think it is on sale now for $120. Hard to go wrong with that price and their return policy.

Mary

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 10 2008 at 10:14am | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

crusermom wrote:

I am sort of looking for one for my daughter. Costco has one that looks pretty good and with their return policy would probably be the one I would get. If I ever do decide to get her one.

Mary

Mary - did you see it in the store or is it only online?

crusermom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 10 2008 at 12:17pm | IP Logged Quote crusermom

It is online now.   I have seen it in the store - haven't checked in the last week or two.

Mary

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 10 2008 at 12:41pm | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

I wish I would have read this before I replace my 2 year old Singer with another Singer last week...

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 10 2008 at 4:10pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

How old is your Singer, Marilyn? I was in the local Costco and they had a Singer for $150 (rebate reduction).

Now I had been putting out feelers, and some tried and true seamstresses said to get a Singer, even the newer ones are reliable.

But if yours is relatively new, that throws up my theory. I was contemplating asking dh for that one. I'd so like a luxurious one, but....

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 10 2008 at 4:14pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

It was this one, and had one the sign "featured on Martha Stewart"

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version