Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Planning and Ordering our Days
 4Real Forums : Planning and Ordering our Days
Subject Topic: Organizing pdf files in useable way Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
amy_payson
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Dec 30 2010 at 3:30pm | IP Logged Quote amy_payson

Help! I'm a homeschooling momma with a load of wonderful, free pdf files stacking up on my computer (thank you other hard-working homeschool momma's for sharing your info!!!!). Last year I organized all the files by subject folders (some with subfolders) within my main homeschool file folder which is on my desktop. This has made the orginization of them manageable and easy to keep adding to.

This is where I get stuck. I forget what I have. Some of the stuff I use right away and print off as I'm saving into a folder. But a lot of the files are just great finds that I know I will use in the future (like history and science notebooking pages, for instance). Sometimes when I am doing a file decluttering (you know the type...erasing all the pdf files that you downloaded but then decided you weren't going to really use) I see what I have and go, "oh, we SO could've used that!" or "I really need to remember we have this, I completely forgot about it!" Does this sound familar to anyone else?

What I am wondering is how other homeschool mom's keep track of this wonderful computer technology. I wrote a post on it here asking questions to myself about possible solutions (binders, versus master lists, versus printing out, etc.) for brainstorming purposes. Does anyone have a system that works for them?

I'm all ears!
~Amy

P.S. I think there may have been a thread on this topic earlier in the year that I started reading but then lost track of. Can't seem to find it now.

simply necessary
Back to Top View amy_payson's Profile Search for other posts by amy_payson

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 30 2010 at 3:41pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

What do you use when you plan what you'll be doing? I would think a list of what you have kept with your planning stuff would be all you'd need. Maybe just a bookmark that says.. CHECK YOUR FILES

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

amy_payson
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Dec 31 2010 at 6:21am | IP Logged Quote amy_payson

Jodie,

That would seem to make sense IF I had a planning binder!!! I try to put together a sort of binder in which I can use to plan but most of my planning takes place on the computer when I do plan. Otherwise, these binders that I make every year usually end up sitting, forgotten somewhere (mainly b/c I have two toddlers who would get into and destroy if I left it open on a desk or even a high counter to see and use daily!) or as a catch-all for papers/printed reproducibles which I meant to get to but didn't (see above parenthesis for same reason! ). In fact, maybe part of my process is actually in the planning. I naturally resist following my own schedules. (Have been following Book's thread and relate big time!)

Did find that other thread I was looking for: Care and Taming of Reproducibles

Not sure that it gives the answer I am looking for.

Blessings,
Amy

simply necessary

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 31 2010 at 7:13am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

I'm reading with interest because I have the same problem. I'm an "out of sight, out of mind" person so I often forget to even check all the wonderful files I've saved on my computer. One thing I did that helped a little was to make a checklist for my preschooler. I have certain letter of the week type files saved so I wrote out a checklist, listing the files and when I plan for him I go through and check them off. It works, because we just do the basics with him. For my other kids, there would be way to many to check through each time though.

Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 31 2010 at 11:27am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

So what do you use to plan on your computer?

I'm just thinking I know for me it's the out of sight, out of mind.. and if there's some way to leave yourself a note that it's there to use when you plan..

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Dec 31 2010 at 11:40am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Hi Amy!

I have a lot of resources on my laptop as well.      Part of making use of them is getting in the habit of checking my file resource list anytime I'm planning. It's kind of like getting in the habit of checking your own shelves first for books...don't forget to check the computer too!

I do keep my digital resources thoroughly organized by subject matter and broken down into folders. That makes things easier to find overall.

IDEAS:

** Desktop Folder of Home Ed. Resources - Create a homeschooling folder for your desktop so that ALL home ed resources are up front and always sort of in-your-face. Within that folder break down your subject matter, and continue creating sub-folders from there.

** Index of Resources to print - Once you've nicely organized all your resources, why not consider making an outline/inventory list....something like a freezer inventory listing. It would function like an index for all of your digital home ed files. Just make an outline listing, following the same organization you have set up in your homeschooling folder, and print it out and keep it on your go-to clipboard, or notebook, or whatever you pull out daily. When you make your list, leave a few blank spaces so you can add files you may save in the interim. I update digital resource lists mid-year and beginning of school year since those are the primary times I'm looking at my files for resources.

This takes a little time, but it's a good investment I find! It helps me to be a good steward of resources...and it also helps me purge unnecessary/unused files as I go, keeping my computer space wisely used.

Hope this is a help. Good luck and have fun organizing!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

amy_payson
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Dec 31 2010 at 3:21pm | IP Logged Quote amy_payson

Jodie,

I plan on my computer when building something (i.e. spreadsheet or word doc of booklists etc.) but don't actually do planning as in lesson planning there until spring (when income tax $ comes in and before I buy all the books I need for the year) but not daily lesson plans. At this time (spring) I list all my books and generic plans down for the school board to turn in that summer for the upcoming year. I print this out and put it in my pretty binder to serve as a reminder of our track for the year. I mainly detail-plan history only (math is pretty easy, just print off table of contents)as this is my weakest subject (I am relearning with the kids - love living books!) and I preview all living books that I will use for the year. I also print this off to go into my binder as well as a blank calendar and other helpful things. The problem - no where to set out that binder. I have a 18mo climber, a 3yo tornado climber, and an almost 5 yo climber. Despite discipline, things still get ruined if they are within hands reach. I have learned to store really vertical and keep things put up. But, because of this, I have no place to keep a binder that I visually see and go to in the morning. Plus, after doing all the history planning, I don't have much time or oommpphh for detailed lesson planning for copywork or grammar. (Although we mostly tie this into history, am considering Writing with Ease to make it easy on me like math!)

Am considering using Outlook as planning tool with it up on my desktop as a visual reminder. Does anyone else do this? Not quite sure how. Have to have hubby help with setting that up.

Jen,

I think I may have originally gotten this idea from you on your blog? (Which I love, by the way!) and did implement the desktop folder last year. That is the part I do have organized and has stayed very organized over the year. That is HUGE for me! So thank you! The index of resources I don't have and this is what I was thinking of (in order to save trees and just print off when I need) but there are two stumbling blocks I can potentially see. 1) if I print it and put it in a binder, I will have the same problem I described above to Jodie. Also, 2) what about the other resources (stuff in files, reproducible books, manipulatives, etc.) that coincide with my pdf files but aren't on the computer? Do I make a resource inventory list of these too? (I started makeing a book inventory list last year) and how do I combine that all together?

I think what I'm looking for is a unified system. For example, let's say I'm doing a unit study on teeth (mention because we did today!). Now, I have books on teeth, color pdf activity sheets on computer, an anatomy flip chart, a model tooth, some video clips bookmarked on brushing teeth, etc. that can be used. What I want is a place where I can flip to and find all that info together so I don't forget about one of the cool ideas.

And, here's the thing, while I LOVE planning and researching and reserving new ideas, I HATE implementing a specific lesson plan (b/c I always fail, get derailed, or just plain don't want to do). What I want is the freedom to go (as we did this week), "Oh, the kids just went to the dentist this week, let's get some library books about teeth and see if there is an interest." And then if there is a book that captures their interest and they want to do more, I want to be able to gather resources on the spot (a.k.a. remember what I have) without having to wait a day or week because I am looking up on the computer or internet or ordering more from the library and by then they have lost interest. Does that make sense?

Now that I am proof-reading this post, maybe what I need is a binder, but just an Inventory binder full of all my resources typed out (computer planning), broken into categories such as booklist (home and library), internet sites, printed activities, etc. And within these binder folders list everything into subject categories.

Well, enough rambling for now. Thanks for listening!
~Amy

simply necessary

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 01 2011 at 9:12pm | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

I also had a lot of pdf files and downloads on my computer. I set a side a weekend and opened each one, seriously considered if, when and where we would use it. Then I created computer folders and filed the keepers. After that, I did a print screen of the folders with their contents, and I printed off the Table of Contents for all the downloads that had one. I am keeping all those papers with my planning papers, and I intend to use them.

amy_payson
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Jan 03 2011 at 10:00am | IP Logged Quote amy_payson

Ooohhhh...I like that, a print screen of the organized files as an inventory sheet! Less typing and work for me, instant sucess. May have to give that a try.

Thank you, Paula!

~Amy

simply necessary

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 04 2011 at 6:23am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

Showing my ignorance here, but how does one do a print screen?

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Jan 04 2011 at 6:29am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Paula in MN wrote:
I did a print screen of the folders with their contents, and I printed off the Table of Contents for all the downloads that had one.

Brilliant!   

Becky Parker wrote:
Showing my ignorance here, but how does one do a print screen?

Are you on a mac or a PC, Becky?

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 04 2011 at 8:40am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

PC

amy_payson
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Jan 04 2011 at 10:43am | IP Logged Quote amy_payson

Okay, now I'm frustrated...*sigh*...can't get the screen to print. I usually print a screen by right clicking my mouse but it doesn't have the print funtion in use when I am trying to do this on the screen where my files are listed. So I googled keyboard shortcuts for windows and saw the print shortcut as cntrl+p so I tried that and, again, was unsuccessful. So, I am with Becky. In this particular instance, how DO you print the screen?

Thanks girls for all your help!
~Amy

simply necessary

P.S. I just found an amazing free pdf files site yesterday (called Super Teacher Worksheets) if anyone is interested! They have mainly worksheets but some really cool manipulatives like a phonics Word Wheel that I fell in love with and added to my growing pdf files that I am in the process of organizing!

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: Jan 04 2011 at 12:24pm | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

"Print screen" is usually a button of its own on your keyboard. Look around close to the "F" function keys for a key labeled "Prnt Scrn." Press cntrl+print screen. Then open Word and right click with your mouse and say "paste." You should see a copy of your screen appear in Word. (You can probably paste into Paint or other programs as well.)

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 04 2011 at 12:48pm | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

You can't do a regular "print screen" on the file directory if you are running Windows 7. I don't know about other versions. I used a program called "Karen's Directory Printer" which was free. Here's the link to her website. It is really very slick!

amy_payson
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Jan 06 2011 at 10:46am | IP Logged Quote amy_payson

Paula,

You, my dear, are a God-send!!!!!!! That site worked perfectly! Of course, after downloading and printing I discovered the following tweaks that I'll share to save others the paper and ink of printing what they don't want!

First, practice on a folder with only a few things in it.

Second, under file info only click the file name box (unlcick all others) and under the folder info only click the folder name box (unclick all others).

Third, click the extra left margin box and unclick the highlight exec and macro boxes.

This prints it out with the folder name (in bold) with the file names printed out underneath. Then any subfolders are listed (indented) in bold with their file names printed underneath. I see this being really easy to print out and keep up on because as you add to your files, you will only be typing the title of folder/file name once and then you can just reprint to change your index.

Ingenius, I say!!!

Blessings,
~Amy

simply necessary

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version