Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Decorating the front door Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 11 2007 at 5:32am | IP Logged Quote Dawn

Alice, I just came from your blog - oh, my, your wreaths are lovely! As is that room. I love that you can see the creche through the windows.

Alice, Cay, Jennifer - can I ask if you made the original wreaths yourself, and if so, how you did it? I see beautiful wreaths at craft stores and gift shops, but they are always so expensive. My mum always says we should try making one - buy a base and all the attachments - but it seems so difficult. I wouldn't even know where to begin.

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 11 2007 at 6:27am | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

Elizabeth wrote:
MacBeth wrote:
Elizabeth wrote:
Can someone tell me how to hang on the front door wihtout the wreath hangy-thingy scraping away paint? Dh has forbidden front door hangings because he's tired of re-painting.

I did it the old-fasioned way: Nail and ribbon. Yeah, the nail puts a hole in the door, but is stays put and I don't repaint, ever.

I think my door is steel...

I can't do this either. My door is wood and plated glass (the area that's wood is too high for hanging the wreath) so I use a door hanger.

Elizabeth, try putting adhesive felt on the back of the hanger (like Dr. Scholl's moleskin). That should keep it from scraping the paint off.

JodieLyn wrote:
I don't tend to put out wreaths because I have a glass paned door that i've taken glass paint to and made "stained glass".

Oh, tell me more!

FYI, Alice your rose wreath is just beautiful!

<sigh>I really need a new wreath for my front door. My mom makes some really beautiful wreaths. . .I should mention to her that I need one.

I have really been feeling the bug to decorate my house more. We moved here 5 years ago in which time I have had 3 babies. This is a beautiful old Victorian house but it needed work so we got it for a bargain. The big stuff is done (new windows went in a month ago and roof coating last week) but now I need to paint and decorate ...inexpensively no less! I've been meaning to take a picture of my half finished upstairs bathroom because I need advice on what to do with a large space of white wall.

Whoops there I went and changed the subject! Sorry - my bad!

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

KellyinPA
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 11 2007 at 9:08am | IP Logged Quote KellyinPA

We have a evergreen wreath with a red ribbon on our front door which I intended to keep up thru Valentine's Day (thinking the red ribbon would suffice) but not after seeing Alice's gorgeous creations. Looks like a trip to Michael's is in my future

the abundant life
Back to Top View KellyinPA's Profile Search for other posts by KellyinPA

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: Jan 11 2007 at 10:21pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

Alice,
I'd also like to know where your beautiful rose wreaths came from. Did you make them?

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 11 2007 at 10:27pm | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

teachingmom wrote:
Alice,
I'd also like to know where your beautiful rose wreaths came from. Did you make them?

No, the original two wreaths were purchased at a local garden store back in June or July. I just loved the pinks and fucshias, so artfully arranged. The store has a staff on hand, and they are constantly coming up with new and beautiful creations.

For winter, I added inexpensive glass balls from the craft store, a pretty Victorian doll, and three Christmas cottage ornaments purchased at a local Christmas shop for $1.50 each. That will all come off at the first sign of Spring!

Thanks for the compliments on the wreaths, everyone!

Cottage Blessings
Brew yourself a cup of tea, and come for a visit!
Back to Top View alicegunther's Profile Search for other posts by alicegunther Visit alicegunther's Homepage

Mrs.K
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 11 2007 at 10:34pm | IP Logged Quote Mrs.K

Cay, your wreath and door are so lovely!

I put up a small Valentine wreath, a heart shaped wreath with pink roses and ribbons.
But then for Lent I put up a large, plain grape vine wreath that just has one purple bow on it. The vines are a bit reminiscent of the crown of thorns, and purple of course for Lent. Then on Easter morning I change to a festive wreath with lots of flowers and colors.

My blogPondered in My Heart
Jesus,I trust in You!
Back to Top View Mrs.K's Profile Search for other posts by Mrs.K

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 11 2007 at 11:29pm | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

MicheleQ wrote:
I have really been feeling the bug to decorate my house more. We moved here 5 years ago in which time I have had 3 babies. This is a beautiful old Victorian house but it needed work so we got it for a bargain. The big stuff is done (new windows went in a month ago and roof coating last week) but now I need to paint and decorate ...inexpensively no less! I've been meaning to take a picture of my half finished upstairs bathroom because I need advice on what to do with a large space of white wall.

Whoops there I went and changed the subject! Sorry - my bad!

Look into hiring a decorative painter to paint something lovely for you--they are not as expensive as I would have thought. I look forward to seeing the pictures.

Cottage Blessings
Brew yourself a cup of tea, and come for a visit!
Back to Top View alicegunther's Profile Search for other posts by alicegunther Visit alicegunther's Homepage

Cheryl
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 12 2007 at 1:17am | IP Logged Quote Cheryl

Mrs.K wrote:
for Lent I put up a large, plain grape vine wreath that just has one purple bow on it. The vines are a bit reminiscent of the crown of thorns, and purple of course for Lent. Then on Easter morning I change to a festive wreath with lots of flowers and colors.

I like this idea. I really like reading all of your ideas and I appreciate the pictures. There's a store close to me that has beautiful wreaths. Maybe I'll check it out before Easter. I made a patriotic wreath a couple of years ago, but I got rid of it because my dh thought it looked too fake.

Back to Top View Cheryl's Profile Search for other posts by Cheryl Visit Cheryl's Homepage

juststartn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 18 2007 at 10:08am | IP Logged Quote juststartn

I try to do a seasonal/holiday tub thing. Actually, aside from Christmas (when I have something like 7 big rubbermaid tubs of "stuff"--including the tree, lol), I have seasonally themed "tubs" of decorations and such. General Winter (which goes up as the Christmas decorations come down) is in silver tubs. Right now, on my front door (which few people go in and out of) has just got my St Benedict's Crucifix on it). But my back door has my big jingly bell silver snowflake. I have a smaller gold colored one...but neither one of them looks good on my front door. I read tin hearts for the doors I got at Michael's a few years back...a trio of them, hung with ribbon and wire...for Spring (a green tub) I have florals...for St Patrick's tin shamrocks, for Easter everything from vintage blown up postcards/greeting cards on wood plaques to more crosses. For Summer (blue tubs) I have a "screen door" hanging decoration that says "Don't Slam the Door!" LOL> Got to make sure that that one hangs on the back this year...lol. I'd like to get something with seashells for the front door.... For Fall, leaves, leaves, and grapevines with more berries and leaves. LOL

I know this is a little off topic...but in the tubs I keep everything from my seasonal baking supplies (all of those nifty heart shaped baking pans, muffin liners, sprinkles, etc), to the hand towels and soaps I put in the bathrooms, to table runners and tablecloths, to the door decorations, to the flowers I put in a vase by the front door and in two vases on top of the piano where we we have our home "sacred space" (I hesitate to say "altar" since nothing is ever going to be sacrificed there). I do have some candles in the tubs as well, cause I like to put little decorations on the shelves in the bathrooms over the toilets. I am planning on buying some colored votive holders to put on top of the piano this year...for the different liturgical seasons.

I'd really like to get some rugs and things, that could be cleaned and put out for the different seasons as well, but most of the ones I find are those thick coconut mats...or aren't meant to be exposed to the elements at all. Or aren't machine washable (so I can't use them inside).

I do have some of the flags. A nativity one for Christmas, a snowflake one on a blue background for winter, Hearts for Valentine's, Shamrocks for St Pat's, a cross and lilies for Easter, etc. I need to get more for the summer.

Sorry this rambled.

And got offtopic a bit...

Rachel
Back to Top View juststartn's Profile Search for other posts by juststartn

KellyinPA
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 18 2007 at 3:05pm | IP Logged Quote KellyinPA

Ramble on Rachel! I love reading about how you organize your seasonal decor, thanks for sharing!

the abundant life
Back to Top View KellyinPA's Profile Search for other posts by KellyinPA

juststartn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 18 2007 at 4:29pm | IP Logged Quote juststartn

The thing to do is either make things, copy things that are just waaayyyy too expensive (lovely floral arrangements/wreaths, etc), or shop the sales/with coupons. Michael's, Hobby Lobby, etc, usually has some good coupons. The Dollar Store actually has some nice things from time to time, it's just a matter of keeping your eyes open--like at thirft stores and yard sales. A few years back I went and at the after Christmas sales, got two of those beaded wire garlands, with the iridescent beads..mostly clear...then I went next door to the dollar store, and found those inexpensive "chandelier" looking garlands made out of inexpensive plastic. And some white icicle lights. I also bought some inexpensive sets of plastic, beaded, and glittery snowflakes. I wrapped the two garlands and the lights around each other. Then used the wire garland to hang those snowflakes off of. The first year I hung them in the kitchen window (12 ft long). This year I have them draped over my bookshelves in the living room. I need some more though, cause I have more bookshelf than garland.

I also do snowmen/snowflakes for winter time. I've found nice stuff every now and again at CVS (cold and flu season, lol)...I've been given a few things for Christmas gifts (I have a plug in bisque snowman on my entry table right now that my mom gave me a few years ago.

Another thing I have done is to get some of those glass "stones"--marbles, whatever you want to call them--in various colors...right now, I have iridescent, clear, and two shades of blue. I mix them all together in a big bowl, and the carefully pour them into BIG hurricane type candle holders...after I get the marbles pretty evenly distributed, I take some of those inexpensive "candles in glass" votives (got some good ones at the dollar store that don't have a strong scent), and insert those down in the middle of the marbles. When lit, the light from the candles shines through the marbles and really looks pretty. And you can reuse the hurricanes for the different seasons, and just change the colors of the marbles.

Yeah, I'm cheap.

LOL

Rachel

juststartn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 18 2007 at 4:30pm | IP Logged Quote juststartn

And I am sorry I went off topic again.

Rachel

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 19 2007 at 9:16am | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

Love the idea of the marbled hurricane candles. I bet it's lovely!

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

juststartn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 19 2007 at 12:10pm | IP Logged Quote juststartn

It is, esp if you get a really good candle going in there. I use green, clear, and red sometimes for Christmas (although gold and pearl and clear ones are pretty too, and go well with the cream poinsettia arrangements I use on the piano/sacred space/by the front door during Christmas)...I pull the blue and clear ones out again for summertime, gold and a couple of shades of brown for fall...pinks and yellows and spring greens (not Christmas green) for spring...

If you use smaller hurricanes, you can change them out more easily, and do things like this for your dining room table--you can change them for Marian feast days, St Valentine's Day, St Patrick's, Fourth of July, etc. And the dollar store sells those marbles fairly cheaply. Although using the coupons from the paper at Michael's, etc, can also save you a bundle....lol.

I don't have an actual dining room in this house (late 50's starter ranch style), and with three soon to be four littles about, well, anything breakable low and on a flat surface is a risk I am not ready to take....yet, lol. We're working on it.

Rachel

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version