Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Decorating the front door Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Cheryl
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 10 2007 at 8:09am | IP Logged Quote Cheryl

The Christmas wreath will be coming down soon. I have a Valentine's wreath that my mother was getting rid of that I'll probably hang up in February. I'd love to hear (or see) how you decorate your front doors throughout the year. Do you leave it bare after Christmas? I would especially like some ideas for spring and summer.

Back to Top View Cheryl's Profile Search for other posts by Cheryl Visit Cheryl's Homepage

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 10 2007 at 8:17am | IP Logged Quote Dawn

Cheryl, I love this topic! We still have our winter blessings angel on our door (you can see her in this post).

I like little country crafts on our door - like wooden hearts and pussy willow wreaths. At Easter we hang a palm cross that I just *love* ... I couldn't find a picture of it on my blog, rats.

The hard thing is our door faces south and gets strong sunlight all day. Anything I hang there gets withered and bleached out pretty fast.

I am eager to hear about other's ideas for the front door!

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 10 2007 at 8:48am | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

Gang, at the risk of taking things away from the forum, I am about to post about this on Cottage Blessings!

We have a gorgeous pink rose wreath, two of them actually. They are perfect for spring and summer, but this year, I had the idea to decorate both of them for Christmas. I used shiny balls, tiny dolls, snowy little houses, and bright red ribbon to turn them into Christmas-y beauties to flank the tree on two windows in the living room.

They are so sweet that I've decided to put the two of them on the front doors for the next few months, just to get us through the winter blahs. You see, they are Christmas-y, yet not so Christmas-y that they won't work well for Valentine's Day.

GREAT TOPIC! Now I'm really looking forward to posting the photos. I was afraid a post-Christmas post about Christmas wreaths would be a bit useless, but I think you will like this.

Dawn, great ideas from you--thank you! You have the perfect artistic eye.

Cottage Blessings
Brew yourself a cup of tea, and come for a visit!
Back to Top View alicegunther's Profile Search for other posts by alicegunther Visit alicegunther's Homepage

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 10 2007 at 8:49am | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

P.S. A busy day ahead, but I'll link back here later!

Cottage Blessings
Back to Top View alicegunther's Profile Search for other posts by alicegunther Visit alicegunther's Homepage

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Jan 10 2007 at 8:55am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Can someone tell me how to hang on the front door wihtout the wreath hangy-thingy scraping away paint? Dh has forbidden front door hangings because he's tired of re-painting.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 10 2007 at 9:03am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Elizabeth, one year we picked up some suction cup wreath holders. They never came off, and didn't rub. It didn't take the paint off, either. I think we bought at Michael's? I might have it lying around to pass it on to you if you want a try.

Sadly, we don't hang anything on our door. We have a glass window in the door and have a screen/storm door which seems to prohibit wreaths. My mil is wreath happy, and displays the changes of seasons and months with her wreaths and flags (and flags should be another topic we MUST discuss).

We're in the market for a new door to afford more privacy, but the storm door does save energy, so that won't change.

Anyone have a work around for my situation?

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 10 2007 at 9:44am | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

This is my new door on the new addition. The wreath hanger scatched the paint right off.

Every year I say I'm going to place a wreath on my door for every holiday.
Never happens.

I've thought of keeping it to the 4 seasons, but perhaps if I had a list of holidays I could get just one each year. I find when it's packed away for a year though it's all flat and ruined. I can't afford to keep buying wreaths. They get expensive.

Let's see, there is...

Valentine's
Mardi Gras
Easter
Summer
4th of July
Autumn (combined Halloween/Thanksgiving)
Christmas

Any others?

Down here we often have Valentine's Day and Mardi Gras colliding and it's hard to decide which to go with.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 10 2007 at 10:02am | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

Are there dried floral wreaths that can be hung outdoors? Mind sharing where you can get them?

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: Jan 10 2007 at 10:57am | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

Elizabeth wrote:
Can someone tell me how to hang on the front door wihtout the wreath hangy-thingy scraping away paint? Dh has forbidden front door hangings because he's tired of re-painting.

I did it the old-fasioned way: Nail and ribbon. Yeah, the nail puts a hole in the door, but is stays put and I don't repaint, ever.

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

J.Anne
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 10 2007 at 11:16am | IP Logged Quote J.Anne

Cay, I love that photo! What a pretty wreath. Cheryl, I just put together a grapevine wreath covered with glittered wooden snowflakes that had been discounted. The whole thing cost me about $3.00, I think. I am also adding a little wooden painted cardinal and a bird's nest. I hate to see the door so empty after the lush holiday decorations, but I don't have a lot of extra $$ in January for things like this.

Jennifer
As Cozy as Spring

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 10 2007 at 11:18am | IP Logged Quote Maryan

I'm one of those every season wreath hangers...

Christmas: I always order a fundraiser evergreen, but then for the other seasons, I have made several wreaths of my own with a cheap grapevine wreap and the appropriate large colored potpourri itmes, some fake flowers and a lot of hot glue!! (Sorry that info bordered on a craft post)

Advent Lent: I have a purple/mint green themed wreath. When I had a storm door, I made a paper scroll for the middle of the wreath that was season appropriate. "O Come, O Come Emmanuel" for Advent and various different Lenten psalms for Lent.

Fall: Orange/reddish with mini lemons, apples, and harvest stuff (no scrolls). It's my favorite one. Many times I take it off the door and then find a spot in the house for it since I like it so much. Right now it's in the Dining Room.

Easter/Summer: I had a yellowish/purple one for Easter and summer use with eucaplyptus, and dried purple and yellow flowers. But I gave it to a cousin. So this past summer, my door was bare. I hope I get a chance to make it again. Although Lillian Vernon often has cheap summer wreaths...

We're in a new house that doesn't have a storm door (plan to get one even though I prefer "the look" without one.) So my potpourri has fared better on my door than I thought it would without the storm door. Although I did take down my wreath during really bad weather. And we always have to paint our door, but it's black so it seems to need touch up from boy use anyway.

I like Alice's pink rose wreath ideas! I'll have to figure out which season to fit them in!!

And I've seen new bins shaped like wreaths for storage at the stores. I wonder how they work??

Maryan (mom of 4 boys)
Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

Sarah in SC
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 10 2007 at 12:53pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah in SC

For January, I have a snowman wreath with a big "Welcome" banner over his head. It's kind of an oval shaped wreath & the snowman is some kind of metal-crafted guy. Really cute.

February, I have a big, glittery, fluttery, shiny red heart wreath. It REALLY shows up on our black front door.

Then I go thru a dry spell til Easter...and summer sun & heat in SC just blast the color right out of any wreath on the door within weeks, so I go thru several "disposable" wreaths in the summer months here.

Fall is my favorite wreath time--I keep two or three for this time of year.

And Christmas is my big green wreath with tons of Matchbox cars, Polly pockets, blocks, candy canes, and other "Toyland" stuff wired on...with a giant red bow. It sounds nutty, I know...but I have had more people ask where I got it. If they only knew....THAT's what you save those stupid Happy Meal toys for!   

I wish I knew how to do that digital photo/computer thing...I'd take pictures. I love to see others' ideas on here!

Great thread!

Oh, and I'm with MacBeth....the old nail & ribbon option. My front door won't close with the wreath hanger-thinger on there.

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Jan 10 2007 at 1:00pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

MacBeth wrote:
Elizabeth wrote:

I did it the old-fasioned way: Nail and ribbon. Yeah, the nail puts a hole in the door, but is stays put and I don't repaint, ever.

I think my door is steel...

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

Servant2theKing
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 10 2007 at 1:30pm | IP Logged Quote Servant2theKing

We have some adhesive foam that came from a store which sold nothing but scrap materials for crafting (they have since gone out of business). The adhesive foam does a very good job of protecting any surface from scratches. We've used it on the bottom of plate racks to protect our kitchen counter, on the bottom of chair legs to protect floors, and on the backs of pictures and bookshelves to protect walls. I believe they sell similar products in hardware departments. I've seen adhesive cork or moleskin products for simlar purposes. You can also get heavy duty magnetic clips that work very well on steel doors!

Sadly, we can't hang anything on our doors lest our big mischievous dogs get ahold of it and chew it to pieces. Your decorations are lovely ladies.

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 10 2007 at 1:37pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

What about the removeable hooks? 3M makes them.. oh what are they called... anyway.. they hold real well and come off cleanly the way they're supposed to without harming the paint.

And for something between a door and storm door.. look for something very narrow.. many wreaths are fat and fluffy.. but you can get thin grapevine wreaths that you can wrap with ribbon or other "narrow" decoration.. for flowers look for rose BUDS vesus full roses. Also, don't think just wreaths.. what about a banner or one of those flags.. instead of on a flag pole.. hang flat on the door.. things like that.

I don't tend to put out wreaths because I have a glass paned door that i've taken glass paint to and made "stained glass".

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Bridget
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 10 2007 at 2:10pm | IP Logged Quote Bridget

Elizabeth wrote:
MacBeth wrote:
Elizabeth wrote:

Glue gun felt on to line the back of the metal wreath hanger.

Back to Top View Bridget's Profile Search for other posts by Bridget Visit Bridget's Homepage

KellyJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 10 2007 at 2:21pm | IP Logged Quote KellyJ

Elizabeth wrote:

We put a magnet clip on the door and hang a wreath on it. We make a string hanger of sorts, and then we hang the string on the "cradle" of the clip (the part that you depress when you want to open a clip). We use light wreaths and other "door apparel." On occasion the magnet slips a bit (we only know this in relation to looking out the peephole to see if the mail flag is down).

The clip we have is white; it came with some whiteboard or refrigerator accessories. It blends in well with out white door, and the wreath covers up a lot too.

KellyJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 10 2007 at 2:27pm | IP Logged Quote KellyJ

Cheryl wrote:
The Christmas wreath will be coming down soon. I have a Valentine's wreath that my mother was getting rid of that I'll probably hang up in February. I'd love to hear (or see) how you decorate your front doors throughout the year. Do you leave it bare after Christmas? I would especially like some ideas for spring and summer.

I try to keep something pretty on the door year-round, even if it is usually the same wreath. I like to use a grapevine wreath as a base and wrap a pretty ribbon around it, accessorizing as desired. This allows me to change the wreath easily without buying a new wreath each time.

Late last year I bought an arrangement of faux grapevine from Michael's. I used it for Advent, dressed it up for Christmas with ribbon and a dove and will use it for Lent and Easter too. It is not a round shape and is not likely intended to be hung in the direction in which is hangs (probably supposed to hang horizontally; I've hung it vertically), but it looks nice and reminds me of our Lord.

BrendaPeter
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 10 2007 at 3:09pm | IP Logged Quote BrendaPeter

We use the Command 3M hooks to hang up everything from wreaths to stockings on the fireplace.

Brenda (mom to 6)
Back to Top View BrendaPeter's Profile Search for other posts by BrendaPeter

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 10 2007 at 10:25pm | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

Cay, that wreath photo is gorgeous.

Elizabeth, we have a nail in one door and wire the wreath to a door knocker on the other.

I know my New Year's resolution was to keep things *here* on the board, but here is a photo of our door wreath, all decked out for winter: A Rose in Winter.

Please click on the top thumbnail to see the wreath up close.

Cottage Blessings

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version