Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Feast Days & Plans for Next Year! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
saintanneshs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 25 2007 at 11:55am | IP Logged Quote saintanneshs

Alison,

We do our hymns at bedtime. I usually spend about 30 minutes or so rocking the kids and singing to them. Each child gets to pick one hymn that they'd like to hear and before it's over most of the kids are singing along. It's a nice wind-down at the end of the day and dh usually comes in to hear us sing (he likes it, too!)(This was our routine before the baby was born, anyway...we haven't done this in about 2 weeks and probably won't get back to it for a while! ) Anyway, it's an alternate way to work seasonal hymns into the day without trying to "get to them" during school time...

I asked our parish priest if we could "borrow" one of the old hymnals a few years ago (since the new ones had just arrived) and so we just pick through the book to find our hymns.

Happy Singing!!

saintanneshs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 25 2007 at 12:02pm | IP Logged Quote saintanneshs

I just wanted to let everyone know that I'm planning to come back to this thread with some more monthly ideas to celebrate the liturgical year, just as soon as little Caleb ends our nursing marathon. I just love what everyone has contributed thus far...so many fabulous ideas for celebrating the liturgical year! Thank you, everyone!! There are lots more months to cover though, so I'm not finished here just yet! Maybe when we finish up we can call this our "one-stop shop" for liturgical year planning, at least for those of us without $ to buy all those great books where all of this is already done for us!!

Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 25 2007 at 3:52pm | IP Logged Quote Helen

Congratulations Kristine on your new baby!

Back to Top View Helen's Profile Search for other posts by Helen Visit Helen's Homepage

Alison
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 25 2007 at 9:57pm | IP Logged Quote Alison

Great ideas being shared ! I love it!Now with hymns my only problem is self-conscious teens re theirs and others singing voices. Not quite sure how to deal with this.
usually each evening we pray a family rosary. I like using a scriptural rosary with this and that's also when if we've not had time to do it any other time we mention saints/feast days etc. I put up art related to a particular decade on a noticeboard near our altar, take it down and file it in an album for future meditations.So hopefully we'll end up with a pictorial album of the rosary.
But this year I want to incorporate a morning "together" time. My 4 at home now are 5,9,15,17 so it makes finding things we can all do comfortably together challenging . I thought about using the 2 oldest to "teach" the younger ones things. Good training and they're learning too!! I thought we would begin the day with the angelus, the prayer we're learning together and possibly a scripture passage.

Back to Top View Alison's Profile Search for other posts by Alison Visit Alison's Homepage

ElizLeone
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 27 2007 at 11:00pm | IP Logged Quote ElizLeone

Can I just tell you how inspired I am by all you ladies? I did a major overhaul of our schoolroom today, cleaned out cupboards and closets, and started tweaking our lesson plan to incorporate more fun and less drudgery. And I'm dusting off Catholic Mosaic again! Thanks for the inspiration!
Back to Top View ElizLeone's Profile Search for other posts by ElizLeone Visit ElizLeone's Homepage

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 27 2007 at 11:18pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

ElizLeone wrote:
And I'm dusting off Catholic Mosaic again! Thanks for the inspiration!

That's great to hear. Just focus on reading the book to kick off the feast days. That's the main goal of CM. Then anything you discuss or plan or crafts taken from the book or here is just lagnaippe. If you don't get around to the craft or activity or baking of the day, plan to do it sometime that week or it can get carried over. Don't feel you have to do it all.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

teamgriswold
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Jan 28 2007 at 10:29am | IP Logged Quote teamgriswold

Cay Gibson wrote:
Then anything you discuss or plan or crafts taken from the book or here is just lagnaippe.

Thank you, thank you Cay, I sooo needed that reminder today! I was just starting to get that overwhelmed feeling. And it's so fun to hear words from home like "lagnaippe"! I use it here all the time and have to explain it

MommyD
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 19 2007 at 10:41pm | IP Logged Quote MommyD

I wanted to bring this thread back to the top. It has a ton of great information for those (like me) who are just starting out "living the liturgical year" .

MommyD
Back to Top View MommyD's Profile Search for other posts by MommyD

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 10 2007 at 5:34am | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

This thread has been inspirational to me and cannot thank you all enough for sharing, for I would never think to be organized even though I really need it.

I hope to get a filing system going as discussed but I have started in one concrete way so far. I have a big bookcase of liturgical and saint books and I can never utilize it the way I would like to. A saint's feast day comes along..."do I have a story or info on this saint and which book is it in?"...I mumble away to myself.

So I have decided to 'catalogue' my books on the computer and in books that have many saints stories, I wish to list what is in them and then put them into the appropriate month and day, I have more to do as yet but I have made good progress so far. Some of the stories from some books are very short but have something lovely or inspirational to impart, "Treasury of Catholic Stories" is very much like that. Then as I collect my re-usable bits and pieces used for activities, I will file them separately but add their description onto this sheet, so making this sheet the 'master sheet' for all things, here is an example of one month (May):

St Joseph March 19 & May 1 (Cooking with the Saints)

Saint Joseph March 19 and May 1 (Lives and Legends of the Saints)

St Joseph March 19 & May 1 (Picture Book of Saints)

Joseph (Joseph of Eygpt) (St Joseph) March 31 & March 19/May1 (Catholic Stories for Boys and Girls Volume III)

St Joseph the Worker May 1 (Saints and Feast Days)

St Athanasius May 2 (Saints and Feast Days)

St Peregrine May 2 (Picture Book of Saints)

Sts Philip and James May 3 (Picture Book of Saints)

Our Lady of Antipolo 1st Tuesday in May (Mother of God Coloring Book)

Sts Philip & James May 3 (Saints and Feast Days)

Page 257 - Bl Damien from Molakai May 10 (Treasury of Catholic Stories)

Bl Damien May 10 (Saints and Feast Days)

Sts Nereus & Achilleus May 12 (Saints and Feast Days)

St Pancras May 12 (Saints and Feast Days)

Patron Saint of First Communicants –The story of Blessed Imelda Lambertini (MFW Book) May 12

The Children of Fatima -and Our Lady’s Message to the World (MFW Book) May 13 (or October 13)

Our Lady of the Smile May 13 (Mother of God Coloring Book)

St Matthias May 14 (Saints and Feast Days)

St Isidore the Farmer May 15 (Saints and Feast Days)

St Dymphna May 15 (Picture Book of Saints)

St Isidore the Farmer May 15 (Picture Book of Saints)

St John Nepomucene May 16 (Picture Book of Saints)

St Brendan - Sailor Saint May 16 (The Book of Saints & Heroes)

Saint Brendan May 16 (Saints Lives & Illuminations)

Page 124 – St Brendan the Voyager May 16 (Treasury of Catholic Stories)

Page 128 – St Simon Stock May 16 (Treasury of Catholic Stories)

Page 320 – St John Nepomucene May 16 (Treasury of Catholic Stories)

St Honore of Amiens May 16 (Cooking with the Saints)

Pascual and the Kitchen Angels May 17

Paschal Baylon May 17 (Lives of the Saints for Boys and Girls)

St John I May 18 (Saints and Feast Days)

St Dunstan - Friend of Kings May 19 (The Book of Saints & Heroes)

Saint Dunstan May 19 (Saints Lives & Illuminations)

St Bernardine of Siena May 20 (Saints and Feast Days)

St Rita May 22 (Picture Book of Saints)

Julia May 23 (Lives of the Saints for Boys and Girls)

Saint Bede May 25 (Saints Lives & Illuminations)

St Madeleine Sophie Barat May 25 (Picture Book of Saints)

St Bede the Venerable May 25 (Saints and Feast Days)

St Gregory VII May 25 (Saints and Feast Days)

St Mary Magdalene de Pazzi May 25 (Saints and Feast Days)

St Philip Neri May 26 (Saints and Feast Days)

St Philip Neri May 26 (Picture Book of Saints)

Philip Neri May 26 (Lives of the Saints for Boys and Girls)

Saint Philip of the Joyous Heart (St Philip Neri) (Vision Book) May 26

Page 65 – St Philip Neri May 26 (Treasury of Catholic Stories)

St Augustine of Canterbury May 27 (Saints and Feast Days)

Joan of Arc May 30

Joan of Valois (Joan of Arc) May 30 (Lives of the Saints for Boys and Girls)

Saint Joan The Girl Soldier (St Joan of Arc) (Vision Book) May 30

Joan of Arc, The Lily Maid May 30

St Joan of Arc May 30 (Picture Book of Saints)

Page 62 – St Joan of Arc May 30 (Treasury of Catholic Stories)

Saint Joan of Arc May 30 (Lives and Legends of the Saints)

St Joan of Arc May 30 (Saints and Feast Days)

Visitation of Mary May 31 (Saints and Feast Days)

Immaculate Heart of Mary May 31 (Saints and Feast Days)

The Visitation May 31 (Our Lady’s Feasts)

Our Lady, Mediatix of All Graces May 31 & November 8 (Our Lady’s Feasts

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: April 10 2007 at 1:21pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Wow, Annie - that's a great cross reference list!

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 10 2007 at 3:09pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

Well, as you can imagine, this has taken me a couple of days - days where I've had the time to put in a few hours and I still have a 1/3 to go or so, but I feel that once it is done it is done! I will only have to add new ones as they come along.

Already I have referred to it and read something appropriate - Young Life of St Faustina since this is the week of the Grand Novena and leading the feast - in otherwords, never so well organized!

My next big job is grab all those adult books I love to read to my children, "400 saints who raised the dead" etc.(working on that one at present) and go through them and write the page number where the story starts for a particular saint, for I rely heavily on these sort of stories for my children, they are never long but very exciting, if you know what I mean.

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

KC in TX
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 10 2007 at 3:23pm | IP Logged Quote KC in TX

What a wonderful idea!!

Michaela ('01)
Emma ('03)
Jordan ('05)
And, my 2 angels, Rose ('08) and Mark ('09)

The Cabbage Patch
Back to Top View KC in TX's Profile Search for other posts by KC in TX

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 03 2007 at 1:52pm | IP Logged Quote Martha

Hey what about July?
Or everyone to fizzled to do much for July?
This is when I start my school year...

Bumping this thread, because, imho, I think it's one of the best threads ever on this message board and would love to see it added to!

Back to Top View Martha's Profile Search for other posts by Martha Visit Martha's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 03 2007 at 2:58pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I just found this page Summer Time with Mary

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 03 2007 at 7:00pm | IP Logged Quote Martha

thank you!

Back to Top View Martha's Profile Search for other posts by Martha Visit Martha's Homepage

JennyMaine
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 08 2007 at 4:12am | IP Logged Quote JennyMaine

Thanks for posting that, Jenn, and bringing up this thread (I hadn't seen it before).

A friend of mine impressed me with one simple idea she used for her children. (I'm terribly fond of simple!) For the feast day of a saint, she used a plate holder to prop up a picture of the saint - easy to find in a St. Joseph picture book, or the large cards from CHC, etc. A set of candles for either side - red candles for martyrs, white for virgins. (A cookbook holder works great for this, too.)

So simple - no prior planning really needed, but there it is on the dining table for all the kids to see and for discussion and learning to happen naturally over a meal.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 08 2007 at 7:59pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

JennyMaine wrote:
A friend of mine impressed me with one simple idea she used for her children. (I'm terribly fond of simple!) For the feast day of a saint, she used a plate holder to prop up a picture of the saint - easy to find in a St. Joseph picture book, or the large cards from CHC, etc. A set of candles for either side - red candles for martyrs, white for virgins. (A cookbook holder works great for this, too.)

So simple - no prior planning really needed, but there it is on the dining table for all the kids to see and for discussion and learning to happen naturally over a meal.

Isn't it funny how people have similar ideas? I've had a similar idea. I use a little miniature easel or small frame for a holycard or picture of the saint or feast of the day. Discussions at dinner are always so fruitful. It's minimalistic, but memorable.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Jane Ramsey
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 25 2007 at 1:06pm | IP Logged Quote Jane Ramsey

Bumping up this thread because I just found a great resource for celebrating saints' days!

Can the Saints Come Out to Play?

Has anyone seen these before? I stumbled across them when ordering a book for my husband, and thought they might just be what I've been looking for for so long.

They just arrived yesterday and look WONDERFUL!
It is a set of 12 books (soft-covered, workbook-size),one for each month of the year, with a beautiful, simple story about the saint for each day! OR if it's a feast day, an explanation of the feast. There are no illustrations, but the stories are great, and there's a Bible verse and a thought or activity for the day. PLUS each story is also given in Spanish on the next page, so it's good for language study, too!

At $70, it's bit expensive, but I definitely think it's worth it. (It comes out to only about $6 per book). It saves so much time to have all the stories together and not to have to search through all your saint books to find the one you are looking for.

The stories are perfect for reading aloud to younger kids as well as older. I would say they're geared to kids from 5-12, but I love reading them myself so I think older kids might too!

(Can you tell I'm excited?)
Back to Top View Jane Ramsey's Profile Search for other posts by Jane Ramsey

Jane Ramsey
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 25 2007 at 1:10pm | IP Logged Quote Jane Ramsey

PS You also can buy the books individually.
Back to Top View Jane Ramsey's Profile Search for other posts by Jane Ramsey

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: July 25 2007 at 1:24pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Jane,
The link looks to be a shopping cart link. Can you fix it?

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

<< Prev Page of 6 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version