Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Feast Days & Plans for Next Year! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Dec 15 2006 at 12:00pm | IP Logged Quote Willa

I can echo what Genevieve said.   I am doing something similar. Keeping it simple works best for me.

Also, blogging for me is a good way to keep all the links and ideas sorted without a big paper trail. I started a very simple Liturgical Year blog where I can just clip and jot things down for future reference. I guess I could just as easily do it on my home computer but I like the blogging visuals.

My plan is to just collect ideas or write down traditions that we have done, and then put them in a calendar form later when we rotate back through the year again, looking it up a couple of months ahead of time in order to prepare.

I also have a home binder where I keep the materials I have printed out in order to use. There are pictures on my Liturgical Year blog.

I think the file box with folders by month is a wonderful idea.   I will probably stuff the Advent materials in a folder when the season is over and start filling the binder with things for the next season.

Anyway, you all have really helped me put my organization and craft side into gear and it has been helpful. An exercise in humility too -- these craft things are a whole new area I haven't really done much in my homeschool !      Anyway, THANKS!

Take Up and Read
Back to Top View Willa's Profile Search for other posts by Willa

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 15 2006 at 3:32pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

WJFR wrote:
I started a very simple Liturgical Year blog where I can just clip and jot things down for future reference.

This is a gift, Willa.
Thank you so much for sharing it. I went right away to link it on the Catholic Mosaic weblog.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 16 2006 at 10:25am | IP Logged Quote Willa

That is sweet, Cay; and I didn't know about the CM blog, but now I have put it on my Google Reader.

Take Up and Read
Back to Top View Willa's Profile Search for other posts by Willa

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 27 2006 at 4:47pm | IP Logged Quote Martha

Hey! What are we going to do about next month?!
I've started a bit for January at my blog.
What are you all doing?
Anyone want to take on a different month?

Back to Top View Martha's Profile Search for other posts by Martha Visit Martha's Homepage

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 27 2006 at 5:24pm | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

Martha wrote:
Anyone want to take on a different month?

I volunteer for May, although we'll post other ideas as we go along. Here are some of our May ideas from Crafts, Crownings, and Celebrations, a series of Cottage Blessings posts on ways to honor Our Lady during her special month. I am hoping to post a new group of "Crafts, Crownings, and Celebrations" this May as well--it should be a lot of fun!

I am going to check out your January ideas now, Martha!

Cottage Blessings
Brew yourself a cup of tea, and come for a visit!
Back to Top View alicegunther's Profile Search for other posts by alicegunther Visit alicegunther's Homepage

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 27 2006 at 6:12pm | IP Logged Quote Martha

Wow Alice!

That is one inspiring page of yours! I'll certainly have to link to it for May!

Back to Top View Martha's Profile Search for other posts by Martha Visit Martha's Homepage

~Rachel~
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 27 2006 at 6:22pm | IP Logged Quote ~Rachel~

Great... now I have January,May and August covered...
(Eventually we'll have enough information for a 4Real *liturgical year* book

Lighting a Fire
Back to Top View ~Rachel~'s Profile Search for other posts by ~Rachel~ Visit ~Rachel~'s Homepage

Cheryl
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 27 2006 at 7:15pm | IP Logged Quote Cheryl

Alice,
I love the May ideas.

Back to Top View Cheryl's Profile Search for other posts by Cheryl Visit Cheryl's Homepage

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 28 2006 at 9:55am | IP Logged Quote Martha

Would thissaint book list help anyone else?

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 28 2006 at 11:58pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Martha

this is brilliant, what a great idea don't know why I never thought of it myself

Thank you so much, I am in the midst of writing what the dc will be doing for the new school year and I'm using YOUR list as a basis, don't know if the dc are going to be so thrilled

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Dec 29 2006 at 2:19am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

stefoodie wrote:
And I echo Jenn's and Cheryl's question -- WHERE do you put all this stuff???   

I, too, need to get the "stuff" more organized, then I wouldn't find the Oplatek 5 days late!! Couldn't even get to the Polish deli to buy more this year because of the snow last week. So we didn't get to do it this year.

Martha wrote:
Would thissaint book list help anyone else?

Very helpful, Martha - thanks.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

TxTrish
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 31 2006 at 10:14am | IP Logged Quote TxTrish

I have 2 file cabinet drawers for files categorized by month.
At the beginning of each month, I pull our the incoming "January" files and replace the outgoing "December" files. Then I gather any books, or misc. resources I need and put it all in a plastic crate. I have printed all the monthly articles - Religion in the Home for preschool/Elementary - from the Catholic Culture website and put them in a 3-prong folders, they are in my files by month. The crate stays in the living or dining room for the month with my other school stuff and I pull the resources out as we go. (Like a coloring page, lapbook, craft idea or whatever).

Some months (like Dec. obviously) have tons of stuff - I know we can't do it all, so we do what we can, or what we want, and at the end of the month refile it for next year I try not to attempt to do it all -
All my resources are filed together, so you will find seasonal, and historical information in it's proper place with the monthly Liturgical files too (you know like Columbus Day activities, Thanksgiving and so forth).
This is what has made it easiest for me.

During Advent and Lent we do have a large amount of books and resources. They don't get filed in the file cabinet, but are crated and stored in our office closet. I pull them out for the season and restore them at the end. I also keep some other crated resources by units I plan to do in the future. Russia is one I am currently gathering resources for.
With this system, I can add things to the files for the future and not have to worry about finding that great idea when the time comes (or remembering that it ever existed).
I also comb-bind things together when the reach the stage where the make more sense as a booklet. This has to be one of the best investments I ever made!
+JMJ+
Trish

Back to Top View TxTrish's Profile Search for other posts by TxTrish

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Jan 07 2007 at 11:13pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Marybeth wrote:
I am trying to come up with a centerpiece which I can use for all the feast days of the twelve apostles. I want to celebrate their days since they began our Church and so many of our traditions stem from them! I am still thinking. Yes, I am craft challenged!!!!

We are going to focus on the apostles this year, too, and I like your idea of having a centerpiece for their feast days. I've been thinking about this for a couple weeks and have some ideas. Marybeth, I was wondering specifically if you want something that 1)focuses on/holds one apostle at a time or 2)adds to it with each feast day?

One of my ideas is a modification of this fantastic idea Marjorie had for Altoid tins. I'm going to make an Altoid shrine for each apostle. And I have some thoughts for how to use that as a centerpiece as well as the possiblity of mounting it on a board to hang on the wall.

Another thought was to make a holy card holder in the style of a wire photo holder. The holy card for the particular apostle would be featured in the centerpiece on his feast day. The one I recently saw was in a small terra cotta pot. It was similar to this one on the Carol Duvall Show -wire photo holder. She used a tea cup as the holder (which is really cute as well) but any container of your choosing would work fine. The terra cotta pot might be more masculine for the apostles. Anyway you fill it with plaster of paris mix and insert the wires (curled at top to hold card). You could have a single wire in there if you wanted to only highlight one apostle at a time. Or you could have 11 wires (unless you added Matthias) and add to it as you celebrate each feast day. Or have all the apostles already on it and just move them so the celebrated apostle is in the highest position for his feast day (I would stagger the wires in a triangular shape going down). My thought was to decorate the terra cotta pot with painted or tissue paper and glitter tongues of fire or to actually tape cellophane flames in the pot (on the plaster of paris like they are coming up around the wires). An apostle centerpiece to me just needed some flames of Pentecost. Or it could be decorated with the symbols of the apostles.

Another variation along this same line is this one for a single apostle - wire photo holder. At first I thought it looked kind of hokey because I was looking for one in a container, but then it struck me that this would be a great one for St. Peter - "the Rock." You could make it so that different symbols could be slipped into the loop of wire to represent the featured apostle - a large shell for James, a plastic fish for Andrew, a knife for Batholomew, etc.

(I can try to put something together and post a picture in case my verbal description is confusing )

Another idea is the tree with an ornament featuring each apostle - it would be a variation on this idea we're doing for Our Lady's feast days.

All of these ideas could be adapted to be less craft intensive if you wanted it simpler. Like just punching a hole in the holy card and hanging that from a "tree" for the ornament. You can purchase the wire picture holders and just put something that would be a symbol of the apostle at the base.

And this might be helpful for anyone planning for the liturgical year. I had looked on-line for a list of apostle feast days because I was trying to save the time of looking each one up. I didn't find one that was specific to that so I have compiled one and here it is in case anyone wants that info in one place:

Apostle Feast Days
(Matthias - February 24)
James the Lesser – May 3
Philip – May 3
Peter – June 29
Thomas – July 3
James the Greater – July 25
Bartholomew – August 24
Matthew – September 21
Jude (Thaddeaus) – October 28
Simon – October 28
Andrew – November 30
John – December 27

Blessings,

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 08 2007 at 9:01am | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

Thank you for the list of Apostles, Mary. Very helpful and I've written them down already!

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

Alison
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 14 2007 at 5:42pm | IP Logged Quote Alison

Just wondering if anyone has a plan/ideas for February?I'm trying to get all our planning organised this week for our new term/year starting in a couple of weeks!
Back to Top View Alison's Profile Search for other posts by Alison Visit Alison's Homepage

saintanneshs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 15 2007 at 2:59pm | IP Logged Quote saintanneshs

alicegunther wrote:
   Here are some of our May ideas from Crafts, Crownings, and Celebrations, a series of Cottage Blessings posts on ways to honor Our Lady during her special month. I am hoping to post a new group of "Crafts, Crownings, and Celebrations" this May as well--it should be a lot of fun!

Oh, Alice, I just finally have had a chance to get over to see your post and I'm amazed and so thankful you've shared so many great craft ideas! I copied them all down and filed them in my "May" folder. I only have August and May folders pulled together for now, so it looks like we'll definitely have some fun celebrating the liturgical year in those 2 months! Hopefully I'll get some more folders pulled together so we can celebrate a few of the other 10 months of the year!    

Michaela
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 16 2007 at 2:52am | IP Logged Quote Michaela

Alison wrote:

Just wondering if anyone has a plan/ideas for February?I'm trying to get all our planning organised this week for our new term/year starting in a couple of weeks!

I haven't looked into February except to plan our picture books for each day (1st Langston Hughes birthday, 2nd Groundhog Day, 3rd Elizabeth Backwell first woman MD, 4th Rosa Parks & Charles Lindbergh birthday...ect something for every day of February)

However, looking over the calender just now there are quite a few feast days covered in Catholic Mosaic. (Thanks for making it easy, Cay!!

February 1 -- Feast of St. Brigid --Foods for St Brigid's day   
we'll use activities in the CM reading Brigid's Cloak

February 2 -- Candlemas and Presentation of the Lord

February 3 -- Feast of St Blaise

February 10 -- St Scholastica
February 11 -- St Benedict     
Read The Holy Twins & use Catholic Mosaic

February 11 -- Our Lady of Lourdes
assemble grotto & watch this dvd Bernadette: The Princess of Lourdes

February 14 -- St Valentine's Day -- read book & use Catholic Mosic

February 18 -- Chinese New Year (not liturgical, but I'm making plans )

February 20 --Fat Tuesday /Shrove Tuesday/AND National Pancake day

February 21 -- 1st Day of Lent/ Ash Wednesday

February 22 -- Feast of the Chair of St Peter

February 23 -- Stations of the Cross (there is a book in Catholic Mosaic)

Alison
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 24 2007 at 7:42pm | IP Logged Quote Alison

thanks for the Feb. ideas Michaela. I've been pondering the idea of adding a hymn a month to our liturgical theme. Does anyone have a list of favourite hymns and sites on the web to start me looking.
I am also going to have us learn a prayer a month as a family; possibly(definately!)some in Latin.
Plus I thought a rosary theme/focus. Like we started last year going slowly through using artists representations of the mysteries.
OK and maybe we should focus on a particular passage from Holy Scripture and or the Catechism ....maybe I'm trying to fit in too much but its fun thinking about it!! Would love some ideas and comments!
Back to Top View Alison's Profile Search for other posts by Alison Visit Alison's Homepage

amiefriedl
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 24 2007 at 9:36pm | IP Logged Quote amiefriedl

Well there is always the Our Musical Year Catholic Songs Curriculum.

The Catholic Playlets there based on various Marian themes and Saints are fantastic. And in the curriculum there are Marian hymns, chant, fun songs and patriotic songs sorted out by month and the liturgical year. The curriculum comes with an accompaniment CD set to help learn the songs.

Laura Berquist recommends them in I believe her 4th grade syllabus but I have both OMY levels and I use them with my K thru 2 children and have a great time.

The curriculum and playlets were brought back from an out-of-print set of materials originally published by an order of nuns in the '50s.

Both of the ladies who brought back the series are Catholic homeschool moms.

Back to Top View amiefriedl's Profile Search for other posts by amiefriedl Visit amiefriedl's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 24 2007 at 10:08pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Alison wrote:
. I've been pondering the idea of adding a hymn a month to our liturgical theme. Does anyone have a list of favourite hymns and sites on the web to start me looking.

Hi Alison

What we've started doing last year regards learning hymns is singing in the morning with our morning prayers as we start our lessons.

I have purchased a set of CD's from Cantabile Singershere in Australia. It is a wonderful set of music organised by homeschooled choir master Stephen Lightbody. I believe Annacould well have some in stock as well.

As each CD has hymns of a different focus, The Blessed Eucharist, Our Blessed Mother, hymns of Australian origin, reflecting the domestic church etc I find it easy to work around the liturgical year. Because they are young voices, teenagers my dc find it easy to 'catch' the words.

We pick a hymn a month to reflect the different 'months' ie. the month of the rosary, and I also will have a hymn for a week for a particular saints feast day or a Soleminity.

Hope this is of some help.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

<< Prev Page of 6 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version