Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Feast Days & Plans for Next Year! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Jane Ramsey
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 25 2007 at 1:44pm | IP Logged Quote Jane Ramsey

Sorry about that!
I fixed it.
Back to Top View Jane Ramsey's Profile Search for other posts by Jane Ramsey

~Rachel~
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 25 2007 at 5:55pm | IP Logged Quote ~Rachel~

Anyone have any August ideas? All I can think is 'bread' for the "loaf mass"

Lighting a Fire
Back to Top View ~Rachel~'s Profile Search for other posts by ~Rachel~ Visit ~Rachel~'s Homepage

~Rachel~
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 26 2007 at 9:55am | IP Logged Quote ~Rachel~

OK I am partly going to answer my own question... using Kristine's post from page 2 (which I JUST remembered about ) and this link: Catholic Culture

Lighting a Fire
Back to Top View ~Rachel~'s Profile Search for other posts by ~Rachel~ Visit ~Rachel~'s Homepage

saintanneshs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 28 2007 at 12:35am | IP Logged Quote saintanneshs

Okay, how about an update? I've been working on this since last fall/winter! Whew...who knew this would take so long? Maybe it's 'cause I'm learning as I go. Every day of our Catholic calendar is it's own rabbit trail... I feel like Little Red Riding Hood, hypnotized by all the radiant flowers in the middle of the woods!

The good news: I've finished with my "Celebrating the Liturgical Year" Spring Notebook...and I'm ready to share...yea!

The bad news: Spring's over but maybe it will help save some time for next spring, right?

So here's the first part of what I have to show for the last 8 months: The Organization

I bought 4 med-sized binders and decided to split the liturgical year into spring(pink), summer(green), fall(red), and winter(blue). I know our calendar has its own seasons, but until I get used to knowing the patterns and such I gotta stick with what I'm familiar with. How wonderful it will be when living the liturgical year is second nature...

So here's my how-to

First, I gathered everything I have that has to do with my faith. I wanted a way to keep track of it all, not just to catalog it, but to plug it into our year so it will actually get used and not be clutter. Anything I can't plug is going out the door! So all my CDs, books, videos, coloring books, etc. are gathered here around me. My dh is a very patient man.

Next, I browsed websites like catholicculture.com (my favorite, Jenn ), fisheaters.com, domesticchurch.com, catholic.org, and americancatholic.org to learn more about each day. I cut and pasted any info I wanted to have at my fingertips into a word document. One word document for each month. Each day of the month gets its own page (which for me grew into several pages) within that word document. I bought a stack of tabbed dividers to seperate each day within the notebook, so I can access any day at a glance.

Each day that I had chosen to try to share with the children has its own heading at the top of a page (some dates I chose on purpose, some were just random since its all so new. )

Then I made subheadings beneath each day:
1. Mass and Communion
2. Special Prayers & Copywork
3. Reading
4. Food
5. Music
6. Visual/Art (icons, pictures, holy cards, symbols)
7. Field Trips (Geography Studies too!)
8. Historical and Cultural Customs
9. Activities

I know this seems like a lot but I'm not going to try to do everything listed under each day by any means. It would be fun though, wouldn't it? ...It's just my resource where I can find lots of ways to share the liturgical year with my kids, under any circumstances. The goal is threefold: to provide flexibility with choices, to keep from having to look things up on the internet all the time, and to be a resource that encompasses and unifies what would otherwise become clutter.

Okay, I'm off to figure out how I'll post the nitty-gritty of what I've pulled together so far.

Jane Ramsey
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 28 2007 at 5:36am | IP Logged Quote Jane Ramsey

Sounds like you've got it well organized, Kristine!
Back to Top View Jane Ramsey's Profile Search for other posts by Jane Ramsey

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 28 2007 at 10:06am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

saintanneshs wrote:
Each day that I had chosen to try to share with the children has its own heading at the top of a page (some dates I chose on purpose, some were just random since its all so new. )

Then I made subheadings beneath each day:
1. Mass and Communion
2. Special Prayers & Copywork
3. Reading
4. Food
5. Music
6. Visual/Art (icons, pictures, holy cards, symbols)
7. Field Trips (Geography Studies too!)
8. Historical and Cultural Customs
9. Activities

I LOVE IT!!! That's how I want to organize, have it all there! If you're coming to the conference, can you bring your spring notebook so I can see it? Pretty please?

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

saintanneshs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 28 2007 at 10:31am | IP Logged Quote saintanneshs

Thanks, Jenn.

JennGM wrote:
   If you're coming to the conference, can you bring your spring notebook so I can see it? Pretty please?

Sure. I'll be the one toting a pink notebook and a slobbery baby.

saintanneshs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 30 2007 at 11:34pm | IP Logged Quote saintanneshs

I did it! I started a blog just to share the notebooks I'm making and some of the ideas I've gathered for May.

I know it's almost August, but my May is all ready for next year!
Ready for May?

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: July 31 2007 at 1:49am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

This is wonderful, Kristine!

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

julia s.
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 31 2007 at 7:41am | IP Logged Quote julia s.

Wow Kristine -- this is amazing!
Thank you so much for sharing.

Back to Top View julia s.'s Profile Search for other posts by julia s.

Caroline
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 31 2007 at 9:22am | IP Logged Quote Caroline

Wow, Kristine! This is fantastic! Thank you!

SuzC
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 31 2007 at 9:41am | IP Logged Quote SuzC

Thank you! Thank you!

Blessings ~

~Rachel~
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 31 2007 at 7:32pm | IP Logged Quote ~Rachel~

What a wonderful idea!!

Lighting a Fire

Megan
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Aug 01 2007 at 4:27pm | IP Logged Quote Megan

OK, this is my first time posting on the forum so bear with me. Not sure if this is what you are looking for, as far as ideas for August, but tomorrow, Aug. 2nd, we will follow the plans in the Catholic Mosaic for Our Lady of the Angels.

Sat. Aug. 4th is St. John Vianney, I have a son and nephew who bear his namesake, so we always celebrate this day. I am making potato soup for dinner (if you've read his story, you'll know that he basically lived off potatoes) and we will also make sure we get to confession, since he is the patron saint of confessors. He also had no attachment to earthly possesions so I thought this might be a good day to do some decluttering around the house.

Aug. 14th is St. Maximilian Kolbe, it is also my birtday and I have another son whose middle name is Maximilian so this is another day we always celebrate. Today we will learn more focus on Mary more, since he had such a strong devotion to her. We will discuss Auschwitz as well. EWTN used to always run a program called "Ocean of Mercy" on this day, it covers the life of St. Faustina, St. Maximilian and Pope John Paul II. We no longer have cable so I splurged and ordered it from Ignatius and it is on it's way, so we will watch this as well. If you have EWTN you should check to see if they are running it, it's a wonderful show.

For the Assumption we will discuss and pray the Glorious Mysteries. We will look up different works of art depicting The Assumption. We will discuss way to keep ourselves pure and holy as Mary was. I also read this is the day where herbs are typically blessed, so I will come up with a menu that uses herbs, and will do an herb page in our nature notebook. I will most likely cover the ones I plan to use with dinner, since I should have them handy to lay out and display.

I'll stop here, I don't want to ramble on if this is not what you were looking for, but these are basically our plans for the first half of August.
Back to Top View Megan's Profile Search for other posts by Megan

saintanneshs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 02 2007 at 4:08pm | IP Logged Quote saintanneshs

Welcome Megan!!

Your ideas are wonderful! Thank you for sharing them with us!

Feel like sharing the rest of the month of August and what you're planning? I'd love to hear!

Megan
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Aug 02 2007 at 8:25pm | IP Logged Quote Megan

Thanks Kristine, I'm glad you enjoyed the ideas. I guess I need to go and introduce myself to the forum, but just so you know I live in GA, have been married for 12 years and have 4 boys. The oldest is 11 and in 6th grade, they have always been homeschooled. The others are 9, 7 & 3.

I forgot to mention our plans for August 6th, The Transfiguration. We will read the account from the bible and there is an activity in a book called "Saints and Feast Days" by the Sisters of Notre Dame that gives you a list of verses from the bible where there is reference to a cloud and your child has to decide weather they are talking about the weather or the presence or glory of God. For example the list 1 Kings 18:44 as an example of weather and Exodus 13:21-22 as an example of God's presence or glory. Those were the first two, they have 9 in all. I can list them tomorrow if you'd like.

August 27th is St. Monica, that is the confirmation name I took when I had my reversion 8 years ago. I thought we could talk about her life and the sacrifice a mother has to make and then ask them to narrate what they feel my job as a mother entails. I might actually have my husband do this one. I thought it might be fun to see what they think I actually do around here.

Her son, St. Augutine, is the 28th so it's only fitting we discuss his life as well. I have picked out a quote of his for copy work and I will ask them the meaning of the quote. The one I have choosen is: "Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe."

This is an active month for us, but all the activities are fairly simple and all the saints are very significant to our family (shared with birthdays, name sakes or patron saints).

Hope you enjoy these as well.
God Bless,
Megan

Michaela
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 22 2008 at 5:11pm | IP Logged Quote Michaela

I was looking around the archives for ideas (March plans) and wanted to bump this thread up.

rashfordmom
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Feb 23 2008 at 9:06pm | IP Logged Quote rashfordmom

Are Kristine's notebook links still available? I would really like to have something like that. I am so flying by the seat of my pants. Last year I was at least a week ahead of the liturgical year in terms of planning, this school year I'm coming up with ideas the morning of most feasts I keep telling myself, "One day..."

There's no time like the present! At least I now have a file for each month where I put things after we do them so I'll have them in the future and not tearing up the house looking for things who-knows-where.

Megan
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Feb 25 2008 at 11:42am | IP Logged Quote Megan

Ok, I am way behind on planning for this year. I'm coming out of my first trimester of pregnancy(this will be our 5th) and have just been too tired to do any great planning. I don't have much for March yet, but I do have plans for St. Patrick's and St. Joseph's Feast day.

St. Patrick I always cook traditional irish fair:
Corned Beef, Colcannon, and Irish Soda bread. I vary the dessert.

We are going to do a Geography study on Ireland, I've rented a documentary on Ireland from Blockbuster online, hopefully it will come by then.

I'm also looking online at the library right now to see what books I can get.

For St. Joseph's day I'm going to make spaghetti with sauce and I put a bowl of bread crumbs on the table for everyone to sprinkle over there spaghetti to represent "saw dust" since he was a carpenter. I also checked out a carpentry projects for kids book out at the library and I'm hoping to find a simple one for my boys to do, maybe a bird house for the coming of spring. (I don't have any girls, only 4 boys, just so you don't think I'm excluding anyone). Oh, and for those of us who didn't give up sweets for Lent there will be cream puffs for dessert. (traditional dessert for this day).

Oh, and I need to still think more on Divine Mercy Sunday, but so far I know I want to make a red velvet cake (red and white which are the colors of the rays that came from Jesus's heart) and we own "Ocean's of Mercy" which is a documentary type film on the lives of St. Maximilian Kolbe, Pope John Paul II, and St. Faustina, we will watch the part on her that night.   

I haven't gotten to April yet, but did get my Faith and Family magazine yesterday, they had some great ideas for St. George's and St. Mark's Feast days, that I think I'll use. I can post them if anyone is interested.

Hope this helps somewhat, looking forward to any other ideas!

Michaela
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 25 2008 at 12:28pm | IP Logged Quote Michaela

There are several feasts in March that have been moved because of Holy Week. St. Joseph (moved), St. Patrick (bumped) and the Annunication (moved).

March 15-- St. Joseph, husband of Mary

March 16 -- Palm Sunday   

March 20 -- Holy Thursday
March 21 -- Good Friday
March 22 -- Holy Saturday

March 23 -- Easter Sunday

March 30 -- Divine Mercy Sunday

March 31 -- Annunciation of the Lord

<< Prev Page of 6 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version