Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: If you want to follow the Tour de France Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 01 2006 at 7:56pm | IP Logged Quote Helen

We'll be posting our suggestions here at this thread.

Back to Top View Helen's Profile Search for other posts by Helen Visit Helen's Homepage

Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 01 2006 at 8:01pm | IP Logged Quote Helen

First Stage of the Tour de France - Strasbourg
With our outline map of France on a trifold cardboard poster in the family room, I’ve been attempting read alouds with a French theme. The book that finally “took” is the Wheel on the School. Even though it is set in Holland, it has been working very nicely. The kids love it and most of them are engaged. (I guess you can tell a Living Book by its appeal.) We are also reading Seeing Fingers, the story of Louis Braille and a few picture books:

Anatole series especially Antatole Over Paris
Linnea in Monet’s Garden
Mike Venezia’s Monet
Toto in Paris
Mirette on the High Wire
The Giraffe that Walked to Paris
Stork photograph book

Macbeth reminded me to use Fabre’s books for nature study. We’ll pull out his books again.

The weather has been pretty unusual with scads of rain, so, we did end up beginning a notebook of sorts. Again, I hope to return to this notebook next year and have the children add narrations, drawings and other written work which helps them to record their learning experiences. I’ve been using colored manilla folders, trimmed and hole punched to begin our notebooks. Each stage is given a symbol.
Strasbourg located in Alsace has a stork as its symbol.

The Stork children's book with photographs was very helpful.(I'm sorry I can't remember the name of it.) We learned that storks are not found in North America. They nest in Northern Europe and winter in Africa. We looked at a big wall map.
Here are a few pictures of the stork page of our
notebooks.
The first day of the Tour is a time trial. Bicycling would be the best activity, but a bit beyond me with the ages of my children. Weather permitting, we will play a few obstacle games, races in the yard (even better if I can get a stop watch) and then we’ll hand out some T shirts. I ended up getting different colored T shirts from the store instead of using white T shirts with fabric paint. The kids are delighted.

Strasbourg is a very German style city. (Don't forget to call German shepherds Alsatian dogs.)

Wine is important to the region. Alsace wine seems to be predominately white. I do have a bottle of Alsatian wine ready to go for this weekend. I don’t think I’ve ever tried this type of wine before, and I think I might actually remember if I like this wine or not. I didn’t find any Alsatian cheese in the supermarket. (Trader Joe’s seems to be a good source for finding imported foods.) The Asaltian wine has an interesting shaped bottle.

We've watched a few videos:
Rick Steve’s France,
modern marvels: The Eiffel Tower, and the
Cordon Bleu cooking school videos.
Along with the Cordon Bleu Regional France cookbook, I've found a few recipes to try. The video really helped me to be more successful with the recipes.

Rick Steve showed us Colmar, a beautiful little town unharmed during WWII. In this city’s museum is Grunewald’s 14 panel altarpiece. Here is his biographical sketch with links to his works. (Press crucifixion and resurrection for some of his most famous works.)
Grunewald's Biography and Paintings
Rick Steves said the paintings were commissioned by the staff of a hospital which cared for people with skin diseases.
But, we’ll be highlighting
Monet this month.

We’re going to use the recipe recommended on this page:
Flammenkucke. I've really enjoyed the France Montly newsletter and site.

Earlier I posted about our miniatures of the monuments in France.

Here are some possible rabbit trails:
Chateau des Rohan
The Cathedral of Strasbourg has a famous astrological clock. (See the France Monthly site.)

Nearby is the Bugatti Car Museum. I didn't find any really good sites with information about this museum. But, a library near me has a book called Classic Cars, which I hope to borrow.

A site with photgraphs of Strasbourg

Back to Top View Helen's Profile Search for other posts by Helen Visit Helen's Homepage

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 01 2006 at 11:32pm | IP Logged Quote momwise

O.K..... I'll take Stage 15, L'Alpe d'Huez, on Tuesday, July 18th.

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: July 04 2006 at 5:27pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

STAGE 2      July 3
Obernai --to-- Esch-sur-Alzette

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: July 04 2006 at 5:33pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

STAGE 3      July 4
Esch-sur-Alzette (Luxembourg)--to-- Valkenburg (Netherlands)

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: July 04 2006 at 5:43pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

STAGE 4 - July 5th
Huy, Belguim ---to ---St. Quentin, France

Today’s stage of the Tour de France begins in Belgium, France’s neighbor to the north and heads south into the Picardie region of France – ending in the town of St. Quentin.

Brief National History of Belguim
Belgium became independent from the Netherlands in 1830 and was occupied by Germany during World Wars I and II. It has prospered in the past half century as a modern, technologically advanced European state Population comprises Flemish (Dutch) and Walloon (French) speaking minorities. Official titles are presented in the order Flemish/French, since Flemish speakers make up the majority of the population.

-Since the fifteenth century Belgium has been famous for tapestry-making. Lace is also a notable local product.

-Belgium is famous for its high-quality chocolates.

-Belgium has around four hundred different kinds of beer; some of the most famous are made by Trappist monks.

-Brussel sprouts have been grown in the Brussels area for over four hundred years.

- Antwerp is one of the world's main centers for diamond dealing, cutting and polishing. Diamonds are harder than any other material on earth, earning them a 10 on the Mohs' scale of hardness. They can only be cut by other diamonds. Find out more about the Mohs Scale of Hardness with some info and experiments.

-Belgium was the scene of Napoleon's final defeat, at Waterloo, south of Brussels.

-The saxophone was invented by a Belgian: Adolphe Sax.

-Roller-skating was invented by Joseph Merlin, a Belgian, in 1760.

A saint associated with Belgium is Saint Dymphna. Click link to find out more about her. She is the patron of the mentally ill. The city of Gheel where she was martyred still houses many mentally ill individuals. Interesting story about the town. "City of Fools"

Domestic Church.com shares family activities related to St. Dymphna

Looking for a little taste of Belguim to celebrate this stage?
Belgian Waffles (Guafrettes)
Frites -or the misnamed "french" fries. Pretty much the national dish.
Belgian Chocolate
Beer - almost the national drink, quite common in Picardie as well.

A look at the region of Picardie
During the Middle Ages, Picardy referred to that part of France north of Paris, and it even included the Dutch speaking Flanders. This area included all the territories from Paris to the Netherlands. The modern région of Picardie is in northern France bordering Belgium. The south of the Aisne départment and most of the Oise département were historically part of the province of Île-de-France but now part of Picardie. Most of Picardie is a vast plain with open fields, famed for the gruesome Battle of the Somme in WWI. Villages of Picardie have a distinct character, with their houses made of dark red bricks, in contrast with the neighboring provinces.

History of Picardie – click to view interactive timeline

History and Culture

Food - Located on the coast, seafood, especially mussels are popular, but a colder, wetter climate and proximity to Belgium and Germany make it no surprise the specialities of this region have a distinctly "unmediterranean" flavor. Carbonnade is beef stew braised in beer, Choucroute garnie is a very Germanic dish of bacon, pork loin or knuckle and various types of sausages, both smoked and unsmoked, all served with boiled potatoes on a bed of sauerkraut. Boudin noir (blood pudding) and boudin blanc (white pork sausage) and saucisse de Strasbourg (basically a thick frankfurter) are popular.

Jacques Marquette (1637-1875)the Jesuit missionary to the New World was born in this region in Laon, France. Marquette is known as an explorer of the Mississipii River.

Father Marquette and the Great Rivers Vision book

This stage ends in St. Quentin. Saint Quentin was also known as Quintinus. According to legend, he was a Roman, went to Gaul (France) as a missionary with St. Lucian of Beauvais, and settled at Amiens in Picardy. He was so successful in preaching that he was imprisoned by prefect Rictiovarus, tortured, and then brought to Augusta Veromanduorum (Saint-Quentin), where he was again tortured and then was beheaded. His feast day is October 31st.

Our Domestic Church

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: July 05 2006 at 11:58am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

STAGE 4   (additional information)

Blessed Damien de Veuster (Damien of Molokai) was born in Tremelo, Belguim (near Louvain). He is inturned at the cathedral in Antwerp.

EDITED 7/5:
And check out the photos from this stage - you can see that fields common to the area.

Our Domestic Church

Christine
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 05 2006 at 4:41pm | IP Logged Quote Christine

I hope that nobody minds, but I am posting this one day early, as I don't know how much time I will have to post the information tomorrow.

Stage 6 July 7 Lisieux to Vitré

Stage 6 starts in Lisieux in the region of Normandy and ends in Vitré. Vitré is considered the gateway to the region of Brittany. For the race on the 7th of July, I will focus on the region of Normandy and leave the region of Brittany to Dawn.

Lisieux is considered the capital of the Pays d’Auge, in the region of Normandy, due to the number of tourists that it draws each year. The tourists come because of Ste. Thérèse of Lisieux . Once in the Pays d'Auge, tourists will see the Basilique de Ste-Thérèse, the Cathédrale de St-Pierre, apple and pear orchards, thatched houses, brown and white cows, farmhouses selling cider and cheese, a Camembert (cheese) museum and a Calvados distillery. The region of Normandy is famous for its involvement in D-Day.

Normandy Book Basket
Call Me Little Theresa: St. Theresa of the Child Jesus, by Susan Helen Wallace
The Catholic Children's Treasure Box Books (the first few books have stories about St. Thérèse)
The Orphans of Normandy: A True Story of World War II Told through Drawings by Children, by Nancy Amis
Saint Thérèse of Lisieux: And the Little Way of Love, by Marie Baudouin-Croix
Saint Therese of Lisieux: The Way of Love, by Mary Kathleen Glavich
The Secret Seder, by Rappaport
St. Thérèse and the Roses, by Helen Walker Homan
St. Thérèse of the Child Jesus, by Rev. Jude Winkler

Art Basket
Discovering Great Artists: Hands-On Art for Children in the Styles of the Great Masters, by MaryAnn F. Kohl, et al.
Papercrafts Around The World, by Phyllis Fiarotta and Noel Fiarotta
Philippe in Monet's Garden, by Carmack
A Picnic with Monet, by Merberg
(see below for instructions on the crafts that we did or plan to do)

Craft Instructions
Dabble in Paint (Monet style art)
Materials
  • watercolor paints

• paintbrushes

• several sheets of large, heavy white paper

• an easel or a small work table

• jar of water

• rags

• postcards

• postcards, posters, or prints by Monet

• outdoor area to set up a small work table or easel

• Process
    1.     Set up a table or easel outside where there are flowers or a pond to view. A sunny day will help make the painting experience more like Monet would have loved.
    2.     Look at prints or postcards painted by Monet. Notice his short dabbling paint strokes, like the bush is smooshed down rather than lines painted. Try dabbing and smooshing paints on a practice sheet of paper. Now brush water on the paper and practice painting in the damp area with the same dabbing and smooshing technique.
    3.     Remove the practice paper and set up a clean sheet.
    4.     Decide if the paper will be wet or dry, based on what was preferred when practicing.
    5.     Look at the surroundings. Begin painting using the dabbing and short stroke technique used in practice.
    6.     When satisfied, wet the painting aside to dry.
    (taken from Discovering Great Artists, p. 39)

Silhouettes
    Portraits from cut paper date back to ancient Greece, but they get their name from the Frenchman Etienne de Silhouette.

How to make a silhouette:
    1.     Collect your supplies: black and colored paper, crayons, scissors, and paste.
    2.     Draw the profile of a person or animal on black paper with a crayon. Practice first on scrap paper.
    3.     Cut out the profile.
    4.     Paste the silhouette on white or light-colored paper.
    5.     If you wish, frame the silhouette with a paper frame.
    (taken from Papercrafts Around the World, p. 8)

Geography
    My children will label a blank map with the regions of Normandy and Brittany. Previous stages have already been labeled.

Meal Planning
    Here are a couple of online recipes (thanks go to Marjorie for the original link):
    Sauce à la Normande
    Omelette à la Normande
    Strawberry Tart
    Crème Brulée
    Normandy Chicken

Camembert is the cheese that is affiliated with Normandy. Livarot and Pont L'Éveque are two other famous cheeses that are produced in the region of Normandy. Apple and pear ciders, coming from Normandy, are considered among the best. Calvados apple brandy, on its own or added to other things, is a popular drink for adults.

"The story behind the recipe is that we ate at a tiny restaurant near Omaha Beach (of D-Day fame) one night in Normandie. We were the only people in the restaurant and they treated our children like royalty. It was wonderful! They brought out little ice cream desserts at the end (free!), all decorated with little plastic palm trees. We still have one somewhere. I ate the most fantastic salad for dinner, and have re-created it at home. I've never seen the recipe in a cookbook or online, and I searched for months.

Salade Normande for One Person
    Butter/Boston lettuce, washed and torn into bite-sized pieces
    1 potato, boiled and cooled, with skin removed (or you could use a couple of small potatoes), cut up
    2-3 oz. Camembert cheese, rinds trimmed, cut into bite-sized pieces
    1/4 c. (approx.) light cream
    1/4 c. (approx.) simple vinaigrette dressing - just oil, a light vinegar, salt and pepper whisked together - I like white wine tarragon vinegar. Don't use balsamic or anything like that!
    Place lettuce on plate. Top with potato and cheese. Drizzle with dressing first, then with cream, to taste. Add salt and pepper if desired. Enjoy!

This sounds like a very bizarre combination, but it really tastes good on a summer evening!

Bon appétit!
    Nancy" (guitarnan)

Tarte Normande (link courtesy of Kathryn)

Sorry, I have not had an opportunity to post recipes from Susan Loomis' book On Rue Tatin, nor have I had a chance to try any of the recipes.

Physical Activity
    Take a bike ride around your neighborhood.

Movie
    Thérèse

Thank you to everyone who provided helpful resources in the collecting data thread.

Pretty Lilla Rose
    Back to Top View Christine's Profile Search for other posts by Christine Visit Christine's Homepage

MaryM
    Board Moderator
    Board Moderator

Posted: July 06 2006 at 3:11pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

STAGE 5 - July 6th
    Beauvais---to ---Caen

A little info for this stage. Christine has already posted a lot of great info for Stage 6 (so this post is a bit out of order) and both these stages run through Normandy, so I've just added info in the north part of the region along this stage route.

Normandy was the home of the Normans in the early Middle Ages, the last people to successfully invade England. The Normans were a mixture of the indigenous Gauls and of the Viking invaders under the leadership of Rollo (Gange Rolf), who besieged Paris and was given the area of Normandy (Treaty of St.-Claire-sur-Epte, 911) in return for defending it against future pirate attacks.

This stage travels near the coast where the infamous Battle of Normandy took place in 1944.

Lisette's Angel is a picture book chronicle of life in Normandy during WWII as well as specifically the paratrooper drops into the region during the Allied invasion. Excellent.

Caen served as the capital of Normandy under William the Conqueror. It was captured by the English in 1346 and was ruled by them from 1417 to 1450. During the French Revolution, Caen was a stronghold of loyalists. The city was severely damaged in June and July of 1944 during the Allied invasion of France, but it has since been largely rebuilt.

The route also passes near Rouen.
    -Rouen is the city where St. Joan of Arc was martyred.
    -René-Robert Cavelier, Sieur de La Salle the French explorer was born at Rouen on November 21, 1643.
    -St. Thomas Becket, an Anglo-Norman whose parents were from Rouen

Other saints associated with the region:
    St. John Eudes
    St. Aubert
    St. Marcoul

Our Domestic Church

Dawn
    Forum All-Star
    Forum All-Star

Posted: July 07 2006 at 8:15pm | IP Logged Quote Dawn

Bonjour!

This is a great weekend to be thinking and learning about France! Not only is there The Tour de France to follow, but also, France is in the final World Cup game tomorrow (vs. Italy)!

Stage 8: July 9 (Saint Meen-le-Grande to Lorient)

Stage 8 takes place in the region of France known as Brittany, which is known for its strong Celtic roots …

General:

Most of my research was done online, but these two library resources were helpful:
          Where We Live: France (picture book about a young girl from Brittany) and Travels in Europe: Normandy and Brittany (Rick Steves)

Here is the time schedule for today’s race that shows all the towns through which the riders will pass today.

Here is a map of Brittany (pdf).

Here is today's weather in Brittany.

This site presents a brief table of general information about Brittany.

Geography & History:

As you can see from the maps, Brittany is located in the northwestern corner of France; it’s a peninsula surrounded on three sides by the sea. For more specific geographical information see here.

Activity: Where in your city do you live? Where in your state or your country? We checked a map of our city and discovered, as Brittany lies in the northewestern corner of France, so do we live in the northwestern corner of our city.

This is a brief yet interesting timeline of Brittany’s history going back to prehistoric time when the region was known as Amorica (Celtic for seaside) to present day.

You’ll find a more in-depth history discussion here

When the Celts first settled the area in the 6th century, they brought with them their Christianity and language ...

Much of Brittany is influenced by the Celtic culture, including the national flag which is known as the Gwenn-ha-du which is Breton for black-and-white. See the flag here and discover why.

The designs on the flag where our stars would be are known as ermine spots; these can be of any number. The nine stripes represent the countries of Brittany, denoting by color which speak French and which speak Breton. For more on this division see here.

Activity: Draw and color the Breton flag using online pictures as guides (see link above). Look up information on the ermine here and here.

This is another great site about Breton heritage that further discusses the use of the ermine in the Breton flag.

Activity: We looked at a world map to figure out why this particular region, in comparison with the rest of France, was settled by the Celts.

Canals:

Interesting note about the waterways through Brittany: “The canal network of Brittany can carry you far through the area and it is possible to travel down into France through the canals.” And here’s a map of the canal system here.

Activity: We looked at Paddle-to-the-Sea and the interesting diagrams of how canal locks work (ch. 17).

Heraldry:

More on Brittany’s flag and gorgeous illustrations of Breton heraldry at http://www.pvf.dircon.co.uk/BCH-5B(Heraldry).html (For some reason it won't let me link!)

Activity: Copy any of the town arms ~ Vannes shows the traditional ermine image, while Lorient (the final town on the race today), has a beautiful shield reflecting its nautical heritage.

Language:

"The Breton language is very like Welsh. Welsh and Breton speakers can actually converse with each other.” (source).

An excellent overview of the Breton language is here. Another good one here.

Religion:

“The first Christian missionaries came to the region from Ireland and Great Britain. With more than 300 'saints’ (only a few are recognized by the Catholic Church) the region is strongly Catholic. Since the 19th century at least, Brittany has been known as one of the most devoutly Catholic regions of France, in contrast to other more secularized areas. The proportion of students attending Catholic private schools is the highest in France.” (source)

Patroness: St. Anne
         She is believed to have “…gone from the land of Brittany to the land where she gave birth to Our Lady; and later, for love of her own country, she returned to Brittany to live, when her daughter was grown up and married to Joseph … The patroness of Brittany, a little saying sums up the feelings of every Breton about her: ‘C’est notre mere a tous.’ Religious processions and other celebrations take place on her feast (July 26) and, since the gastronomic specialities of Brittany are all sorts of fish and crustaceans, they are always served on her day.” (from Family Feast Day by Katherine Burton and Helmut Ripperger. (Thanks to Jenn for the tip!)

Patron: St. Ivo of Kermartin, of Breton descent and advocate for the poor. Patron saint of lawyers.

Of Note: The soon to be canonized Mother Theodore Guerin was born and raised in Brittany. More biographical information here and here. (Thanks to Mary M. for the tip!)

Legends:

Go to: http://www.pvf.dircon.co.uk/BCH-5B(Legends).html (can't link!) for information about Breton's Arthur, Merlin and Ys ...

Learn about where Arthurian legends took place: The Forest of Broceliande. (More information here).

An excellent book: Legends and Romances of Brittany

Activity: Listen to Jim Weiss King Arthur and His Knights by Jim Weiss. Read King Arthur and His Knights of the Round Table. Watch The Sword in the Stone. Imaginative play ~ in a forest!

Art:
    Information on Raymond Georges Yves Tanguy, a surrealist painter with Breton roots: here.
    Beautiful Breton-themed paintings (some by Guaguin) and photographs: http://www.pvf.dircon.co.uk/BCH-5B(Inspiration).html (cut and paste this link)

Activity: Print paintings from above site for picture study.

Food:

Cider – produced since early 6th century
    Chouchon – a type of honeyed mead which was the Celts favorite drink
    Wine – Muscadet grapes are a Breton specialty

There’s an excellent list of Breton produce here (scroll down the page a bit).
         A few thoughts:

Baked artichoke dip (recipe) served with French bread
    Fresh strawberries and cream
    Roasted potatoes
    "Crabbies" (recipe here)
    Sparkling cider
    Thin pancakes (crepes/galettes) for breakfast

Recipes

Fraises Mamm Gozh ("Grandmother's Strawberries")

Langouste a la Creme (Lobster with Cream)

1 boiled lobster       
    2 tablespoons butter          &nbs p;   
    1 jigger   sherry                             
    2 T. cream sauce
    1 cup cream
    2 egg yolks
    1 tablespoon butter, melted
    3 tablespoons cream sauce

Boil a medium-sized lobster and allow it to cool. When cold, split it in two and dice all of the meat. Heat 2 tablespoons of butter and saute the lobster meat in it for several minutes. Add the sherry, the cream sauce, and then the cup cream. Simmer gently for about ten minutes and then add the beaten egg yolks mixed with the remaining butter and cream. Mix all thoroughly and fill the lobster shells. Bake in a hot oven until lightly browned, or, while still hot, run under the broiler. (Note: Although the original recipe calls for crawfish, this is not easily nor always obtainable, and lobster may be substituted.)

Saumon Bretonne

Take a piece of salmon, remove the skin and bones and cut small cubes about one inch square; sprinkle them with salt and pepper and toss them in butter, together with a handful of fresh mushrooms. When all this is half cooked move it in the pan to the oven to finish the cooking. When cooked, drain well, put it in a serving dish, sprinkle with chopped parsley and pour over beurre meuniere.

The beurre meuniere is simply made by putting in a hot pan over the fire. In a minute or so it takes colour and becomes light brown; add a little lemon juice, and it is ready. It is essential not to let it get to the black stage, beurre noir, which is used for other kinds of dishes altogether."

(from Boulestin's Round-the-Year Cookbook)

For more recipes, including galettes, a Breton specialty, see The Top Ten Foods of Brittany.

Traditional Costume:

Beautiful pictures and thorough descriptions of traditional Breton dress: http://www.pvf.dircon.co.uk/BCH-5B(Costume).html (Cut and paste link.)

Attractions:

"Mont Saint-Michel may be Brittany's best-known attraction. Surrounded by the most powerful tides in Europe, perched high on a rocky island, this medieval city and its abbey are a UNESCO World Cultural and Natural Heritage Site." (source) More information and pictures here and here.

Activity: Read about Redwall Abbey and/or read the Redwall stories; define medieval, abbey *and* stoat (another word for ermine).

Before I end my post, I would like to thank everyone who contributed ideas and information and especially Helen for organizing and facilitating this wonderful project!

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

MaryM
    Board Moderator
    Board Moderator

Posted: July 11 2006 at 2:06am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Yesterday July 10th was a rest day.

STAGE 9 - July 11th
    Bordeaux--to---Dax

Our Domestic Church

MaryM
    Board Moderator
    Board Moderator

Posted: July 12 2006 at 5:05am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

STAGE 10 - July 12th
    Cambo-les-Bains--to--Pau

The tour now enters the Basque region and the Pyrenees Mountains so it is the first of the 2006 Tour mountain stages.

Since prehistoric times, the Basques have inhabited this coastal and mountainous region now divided between France and Spain. There are seven Basque provinces, four in Spain and three in France which are represented on the coat of arms. The Basque area of France is called Pays Basque. Unlike the provinces on the Spanish side, the three provinces within the French State (Lapurdi, Nafarroa Beherea and Zuberoa) are not autonomous. They form, along with Bearn, the French department of Pyrenees Atlantiques.

The origins of the Basque people pre-date the Indo-European settlements of Europe and the Basques are not ethnically French or Spanish. When the Romans arrived in the area in the second century BC they encountered an unknown people, speaking a strange language. Their language, Euskara, is the oldest surviving in all of Europe and it is unlike any other language in the world. Through history, the Basque people were renowned as fishermen, explorers, traders and shepherds.

The Basques also have a very distinct and lively culture which includes sports such as pelote, folk dance and distinctive cuisine.

Basque specialties reflect their ties to the sea...
    Pil-Pil (Cod fish in sauce)
    Angulas (baby eels)
    Squid in Ink Sauce

And to the Mountains...
    Lamb stew
    Goat cheese - the cheeses of the Basque region were the Winners of the World Cheese Award 2006.

A couple of the most famous cities in the Pays Basque region are:
    -the seaside resort Biarritz which became the destination of many European royals after Napolean III and Empress Eugenie built a vacation palace here.

Biarritz and Saint Jean-de-Luz are also great examples of the the sea-side towns that were part of the whaling history of the Basque people.

St-Jean-Pied-de-Port, the old capital of Basse Navarre, lies in a circle of hills at the foot of the Roncevaux pass into Spain. It owes its name to its position "at the foot of the port" – a Pyrenean word for "pass". Only part of France since the Treaty of the Pyrenees in 1659, it was an important centre for the pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela in the Middle Ages. The routes from Paris, Vézelay and Le Puy converged just northeast of here at Ostabat, and it was the pilgrims' last port of call before struggling over the pass to the Spanish monastery of Roncesvalles (Roncevaux in French), where Roland, a general of Charlemagne celebrated in medieval romance, sounded his horn for aid in vain. Take this virtual pilgrimage in preparation for St. James Feast Day, July 25th.

Basque Saints:
    St. Ignatius Loyola
    Francis Xavier
    Dominic de la Calzada

This issue of France Monthly highlights the Basque region of France.

Our Domestic Church

MaryM
    Board Moderator
    Board Moderator

Posted: July 13 2006 at 2:30am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

STAGE 11 - July 13th
    Tarbes --to-- Val d'Aran - Pla-de-Beret

Our Domestic Church

MaryM
    Board Moderator
    Board Moderator

Posted: July 14 2006 at 10:46am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

I'm posting tomorrow's stage now since I don't have access to the computer for next few days. I believe Cay has today's stage so when she posts, mine will be out of order - sorry.

STAGE 13 - July 15th
    Béziers Méditerranée --to-- Montélimar

A look at some of the cities along and near the tour route which travels through the Languedoc Roussillon region along the Mediterranean to Montelimar in the southern part of the Rhone –Alps region:

Montpellier was the birthplace of Frederic Bazille, French impressionist painter.

Nimes has the best-preserved Roman arena in France. A great architectural achievement of the Roman era here is the 35-mile long aqueduct that carried water from the region’s uplands to Nîmes.

Avignon (on border of region) - In 1309 the city was chosen by Pope Clement V as his residence, and was the seat of the Papacy from that time until 1377 when it returned to Rome. View the Popes' Palace here.

Seven popes resided in Avignon:
    Pope Clement V (1305-14)
    Pope John XXII (1316-34)
    Pope Benedict XII (1334-42)
    Pope Clement VI (1342-52)
    Pope Innocent VI (1362-70)
    Pope Urban V (1362-70)
    Pope Gregory XI (1370-78)

*Project - find out more about one of the Popes who resided in Avignon.

Art & History
    Southern France and Northern Spain are rich with caves containing Stone Age wall paintings. In 1994, north of the city of Nimes, at the foot of a cliff in the Ardèche Gorges amateur speleologists discovered one of the largest and what is thought to be the world's oldest painted prehistoric cave. It holds over 300 paintings from the late Stone Age. –Visit the Caves of Chauvet website for more information and a virtual tour.

The book Painters of the Caves presents the story of the Chauvet Caves.

Another picture book about cave art – The Cave Painter of Lascaux but I have not previewed this one.

An interesting trail to follow is a look at the field of archaeology – the study of ancient history and people. Books like Archaeologists Dig for Clues could be a starting point.
    *Discussion question with the children: We can learn things about life in the Stone Age from the paintings they left. What would people in the future learn about us from our art? (use samples of current art or media - magazine pictures, etc. )

Art Project – Make Cave Art (idea from Artistic Pursuits-Grade K-3, Book 1)

1.     Wrinkle piece of brown paper by crunching into ball. Open and flatten. Makes a textured surface similar to a cave.
    2.     Look for shapes or lines that suggest an animal. Draw and animal you know about using rust, black brown, and white chalk pastels.

3.     When finished spray with a fixative.

Recipes
    Based on olive oil, garlic and basil, the cuisine of the Languedoc Roussillon region is typically flavored with herbs of the Provencal garrigue (scrubland) such as thyme, rosemary, bay, savory.

Some possible recipes to try:
    Cassoulet (from this comes our term casserole)
    Aligot - this dish was served to the pilgrims on their way to Santiago de Compostela.

Our Domestic Church

Cay Gibson
    Forum All-Star
    Forum All-Star

Posted: July 14 2006 at 6:14pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Stage 12 ~ July 14

Carcassonne

There is a game --- Carcassonne game based on the famous Roman and Medieval fortifications at Carcassonne.

Here is a picture of the walled-city with wonderful Medieval architecture:

Scroll down this link:
    Carcassonne to get more info. Looks like a city I would love to visit.   

This site offers a virtual tour and history of this medieval city.

The children and I also picked up this book at the library and read:Major Taylor, Champion Cyclist by Lesa Cline-Ransome/ James E. Ransome

From School Library Journal
    Grade 2-4--A picture-book biography of Marshall Taylor, an African American who became a great bicycle racer. Taylor grew up in Indianapolis, taught himself stunts on his bicycle, and won the first race he entered, in 1891, at age 13. He went on to achieve international fame in a segregated sport. (In this country, he was allowed to compete only because he'd been admitted to the League of American Wheelmen before they voted to bar blacks from membership.) He found a greater level of acceptance in France, and the account of his victory over the French champion Edmond Jacquelin provides the book with its climax.

Nice to read about another cyclist other than Lance Armstrong.

mom to 5
    Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
    Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

momwise
    Forum All-Star
    Forum All-Star

Posted: July 16 2006 at 9:54pm | IP Logged Quote momwise

Monday, July 17th:   Rest day

momwise
    Forum All-Star
    Forum All-Star

Posted: July 16 2006 at 10:01pm | IP Logged Quote momwise

Tuesday, July 18: Stage 15—Gap to L'Alpe d'Huez, 187 km.

This legendary stage began in 1952 and was first won by Fausto Coppi (notorious rival of Gino Bartali). L’Alpe d’Huez is a small resort town population 1700, and is one of the highest spots in the French Alps. L’Alpe d’Huez has 21 hairpin turns; one of the most exciting stages in the race.

The city of Gap is situated in the region of Provence-Alpes-Azur, (Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur), and is the capital of the department of the Hautes Alpes

Hautes-Alpes was one of the original 83 départements created during the French Revolution on March 4, 1790. It consists of the southeast of the former province of Dauphiné and the north of Provence.

Hautes-Alpes is located in the Alps mountain range. The average elevation is over 1000 m, and the highest elevation is over 4000 m. The only three real towns are Gap, Briançon, and Embrun.

At least 2 saints are associated with Gap: Sts. Tigides & Remedius were Benedictines and successive bishops in this diocese. No date is given for their work there but it was during the 6th century.

Gap was founded by the Romans on the “Via per Alpem Cottiam,” which linked Turin with the Rhone Valley. It was fortified in the 3rd century and developed a wool and fur trade during the Middle Ages, with increasing traffic through town due to the Popes’ presence in Avignon. Napolean passed through Gap when he returned to reclaim France after his exile on Elba.

Epicurious.com has a mouth watering description of local cuisine:
    Thanks to the colder climes, the food tends to be heavier—butter nudges aside olive oil and cheese is prevalent in Savoie-inspired dishes such as fondue, tartiflette (a creamy baked casserole of potato, cheese, onion, crème fraîche, white wine, and lardons), and potatoes topped with Reblochon. Locals love the deep-fried tourtons, small square fritters filled with spinach, potatoes, prunes, or apples. Ravioles du Champsaur are filled with wild spinach in spring, trout or nettles in summer, foie gras and chestnuts in winter months. The tarte du Champsaur, a thin pastry tart made with raspberry, blueberry, or apricot marmalade that kids beg for after school, is popular year-round. Banon cheese and Sisteron lamb are the most famous spring foodstuffs. In summer, everyone sips aperitifs infused with aromatic plants such as tilleul (lime blossom). In fall, the region turns to gathering apples, almonds, chestnuts, and, in southern locales, grapes. Throughout the winter, you'll find local épeautre, or spelt (served in place of rice), and truffles galore.
    Here is a recipe for Tourtons, which you can try if you’re really good at converting metrics.

This timely recipe comes from The Provence Cookbook by Patricia Wells.
    1 pound zucchini (4 medium), trimmed
    2 teaspoons fine sea salt
    2 large eggs
    1/4 cup fresh bread crumbs
    1/2 cup (2 ounces) freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
    1 teaspoon curry powder (see Note)
    Fresh tomato sauce (optional)
    Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
    Using the coarse grating blade of a food processor, coarsely grate the zucchini. Transfer to a colander, sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of the salt, and let sit to drain for 30 minutes. Rinse the zucchini under cold running water, spread it out in an absorbent dish towel, and press to remove as much liquid as possible.
    Place the eggs in a large bowl and beat lightly with a fork. Add the bread crumbs, cheese, curry powder and final teaspoon of salt. Add the zucchini and stir to thoroughly coat the zucchini with the batter. Place in a 10 1/2-inch round baking dish and even out the top with the back of a spatula.
    Place in the center of the oven and bake until golden, 15 to 20 minutes. Serve with a fresh tomato sauce, if desired.
    Makes 4 servings.

The Haute Alps area is loaded with local cheeses, so if you want to experience the culture I would suggest you try cheese making. Countryside Magazine’s Making Cheese at Home has loads of information about making cheese, along with several simple recipes. This Vinegar Cheese recipe looks simple; scroll down for a yummy sounding way to bread and saute your homemade cheese slices.

French Lavender grows in Provence. Provencal women were once called lavandieres – a play on words, because lavender itself got its name from its original use – "lavar" means to wash. Lavender was used for washing clothes and in its distilled form, as an eau de toilette for washing one’s self.
    These stunning lavender crafts (looks like you'll have to click on "decor") seem pretty pricey but you might get some ideas if you have your own lavender to harvest. Perhaps you could put this Lavandula dentata in your nature notebooks.

If you haven’t already tried the language, here are some free French lessons.

Rebecca
    Forum All-Star
    Forum All-Star

Posted: July 18 2006 at 10:16pm | IP Logged Quote Rebecca

Stage 17, Thursday, July 20th: St. Jean-de-Maurienne to Morzine

The Tour route between St. Jean-de-Maurienne and Morzine is 200.5 kilometers with five climbs. There are monuments of the Tour de France along the route such as the Col des Saisies, the Col des Aravis, the Col de la Colombière, the Côte de Châtillon and Joux-Plane.

Books to Read:
    Antoine Lavoisier and the Revolution in Chemistry by Rebecca B. Marcus. OOP
    Antoine Lavosier, Father of Chemistry
    Lavoisier was an important scientist who was killed during the Reign of Terror.

Maurienne
    At the heart of the Maurienne in the department of Haute Savoie, the town of Saint-Jean-de-Maurienne is situated along the route leading to Italy. It has 9,100 inhabitants.

Saints from Maurienne:
    Local tradition claims as early bishops of Maurienne: St. Emilianus, martyred by the Saracens (736 or 738); St. Odilard, slain by the Saracens (916) together with St. Benedict, Archbishop of Embrun.

Food:

Crozets pasta, cheese fondue, diot sausages in white wine, Savoie biscuits and bilberry tarts are other highly appreciated Maurienne specialties.

The valley is a leading producer of some of the best Alpine cheeses: beaufort, Mont-Cenis tomme, Termignon blue, and hard goat's cheese.

To make cheese fondue:

INGREDIENTS

1 pound cheese from list above, or Swiss, diced
    1 cup dry white wine (use apple cider for the kiddies)
    1 1/2 tablespoons potato flour
    1 pinch ground nutmeg
    2 tablespoons Kirsch (Cherry Brandy/liquer)
    1 loaf French bread, cubed
    1 clove of garlic

DIRECTIONS:
    Rub the inside of the fondue pot (or a casserole/chafing dish) with a clove of garlic. If using a chafing dish, add just enough water to cover the bottom of the pan in order to protect it.
    Dredge the diced cheese in potato flour and set aside.
    Pour wine in the dish and heat.
    When the wine is heated, add the coated cheese. Bring to a slow simmer, stirring with a wire whisk until the cheese is melted and well-blended with the wine.
    Season with grated nutmeg, salt and pepper to taste. When ready to serve, add kirsch.

Makes 6 to 8 servings

Morzine:

Stage 17 of the Tour de France ends in Morzine a town of 3,100 inhabitants. Located in a privileged situation in the Chablais, at the focal point of six wooded valleys.

Morzine is known best for its slate mines, fabulous skiing and charming village. It has kept the appearance of a village from another time: wooden facades, carved balconies and locally mined slate-covered roofs. The Morzine website mentions this about the local cuisine:

“An authentic perfume wafts over the tables in Morzine’s restaurants. Guests sitting up at the tables, fans of traditional cuisine, will find fondues and “braserades” (small table-top barbeques) a must; but there’s also the more rare “Berthoud” (melted cheese), “diots” (traditional sausages) and stuffing, with flavours enhanced by Savoyard, Mondeuse or Gamay wines, which just have to be tasted.”
    Back to Top View Rebecca's Profile Search for other posts by Rebecca

Angie Mc
    Board Moderator
    Board Moderator

Posted: July 22 2006 at 12:53am | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

I am unable to do the Final Stage - Paris. I wish that I had put this together sooner.   I'm so sorry. Between the accident and dh not being home all week until tonight, and... . I'm typing this as our family sits together for the first time to watch the Tour. I told my dh that I was going to go to the computer and pull some things together on Paris...he asked me to sit with him instead . Thank you for understanding. Your work here is very impressive. (This post can be deleted once the matter has been tended to...don't want to clutter up this beautifully organized topic.)

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

Elizabeth
    Founder
    Founder

Real Learning

Posted: July 22 2006 at 6:10am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Hugs to you Angie!   Notice that Rebecca very kindly took my stage. Sometimes, even our best intentions are waylaid by life's interventions. Take good care of yourself and your dear ones, friend.

And Rebecca, Thanks again!

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
    Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

Page of 2 Next >>
      [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
    Printable version Printable version