Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: A Word for 2014 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 22 2013 at 12:50pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

I know it's early. The older topics generally do this at the New Year. I have been starting with Advent which worked really well for this last year.. since we used the word "Faith" in this "Year of Faith".

If you'd like to see past topics

Word for 2011, 2010 and 2009

I usually start thinking about this at this time because while the first year I picked just a word for myself.. since then I've picked words that I can also put on display for the whole family.. so I start thinking about it as fall decorations start getting put out reminding me that I'll need a new word (or decide to use one we have) for the next year.

And I'm sitting here attempting to do some school planning and all of a sudden it hits me.. this year for our home religion we're going to concentrate on Prayer.. different types of prayer and things.. and had that absolutely brilliant feeling when I realized that our word for this year (starting with Advent) should be PRAY.

So I wanted to share even though I know it's pretty early for others to be considering this.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

knowloveserve
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 22 2013 at 2:42pm | IP Logged Quote knowloveserve

I just put a big sign of a single word above my kitchen sink: SERVIAM.

It's Latin for "I will serve." and its the opposite of what Lucifer had to say about doing Gods will. When I feel overwhelmed or bitter or stressed, I lt my eyes fall on that... and it helps.

Betsy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 22 2013 at 2:54pm | IP Logged Quote Betsy

I am ready to be done with 2013...so I am all for this thread!

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 22 2013 at 6:41pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Jodie You are on the ball

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Aug 23 2013 at 1:27pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Fun! My blink response is....

BIG!

As in BIG LOVE, GROWING LOVE BIGGER, STRIVING FOR BIG GOALS!

Thanks for getting me thinking on this, Jodie

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

juliana147
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 23 2013 at 2:27pm | IP Logged Quote juliana147

Jodie, you are on the ball, I agree! But I really need to look at next year, too, so here goes!

My quick response would be PeaceandJoy! (I'm trying to make it one word, does that count???!!!)

2014 has to be better. I will try to cultivate peace and joy in my home. For me, these two words belong together.

Back to Top View juliana147's Profile Search for other posts by juliana147

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 23 2013 at 2:59pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Well.. I'm not sure about "on the ball", this is just one of those things that seeing the fall decor is a menomic for me to remember that I want a word.. and since I use it as decor.. I let it stew in the back of my mind so that if I see something that catches my eye I'll remember it.. it's actually pretty rare that I come up with something so quickly.. since I'd only remembered it in the last week or so.

Juliana.. sure use 2 words if that's what suits you. looking over the past threads.. people used short phrases or two words like that too.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Erica Sanchez
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 26 2013 at 5:15pm | IP Logged Quote Erica Sanchez

Betsy wrote:
I am ready to be done with 2013...so I am all for this thread!

Agreed!

For us maybe HOME (versus hospital)

Or PEACE (versus gut-wrenching anxiety)

Better stop with that.....

:)

Back to Top View Erica Sanchez's Profile Search for other posts by Erica Sanchez

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Aug 26 2013 at 6:09pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Erica Sanchez wrote:

Or PEACE (versus gut-wrenching anxiety)

Oh, that is what I hope for you...

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Jan 03 2014 at 1:24pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

BUMP!

Happy New Year

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 03 2014 at 2:16pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Well I chose Be, using the word as an active verb, as in be available, be listening, be prayerful, be quiet etc

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Theresa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 03 2014 at 4:57pm | IP Logged Quote Theresa

My word for the year is, wait. As in waiting on the Lord but I've noticed that rest and trust go hand in hand with this word so I guess I have three words.

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 03 2014 at 5:05pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

My word this year is BALANCE.

Happy New Year!!

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Jan 03 2014 at 6:21pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Theresa wrote:
My word for the year is, wait. As in waiting on the Lord but I've noticed that rest and trust go hand in hand with this word so I guess I have three words.

THERESA! Great to see you!!!!

Love,

LLMom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 03 2014 at 6:49pm | IP Logged Quote LLMom

My word is receive. Very difficult for my addicted to productivity self.

Back to Top View LLMom's Profile Search for other posts by LLMom

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 11 2014 at 7:36am | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

I have discovered that my word is LOVE.

That was not the word I was thinking of for the new year, but God has shown me (many times over now!) that this is the word I need meditate on and practice this year, especially showing my love to my children in tangible ways in the day in, day out homeschool life...starting with smiling more!

St. Margaret Teresa Redi's motto was "God is Love".
Short, to the point- and so easy to chant under my breath in stressful situations

Also- love comes up so many times in the bible:
Love is patient, Love is kind
True love drives out fear
Faith, hope and love remain, and the greatest of these is love...
Love God and your neighbor- the two most important commandments

I'm hoping this year to dive into all the definitions of love!

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

4 lads mom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 11 2014 at 2:53pm | IP Logged Quote 4 lads mom

ORGANIZE

I know...that seems sort of weird for a word, but I have never been organized in my life. It takes a lot of work and thought for me to organize, but I am finding I am very capable of setting things up in a reasonable, workable fashion if I have the time. The past week I have made the time to clean out some key areas in our kitchen....and it has opened my eyes to how much more I really need to organize.

For so long, we have been skidding along, surviving. This year, I want us to THRIVE. Maybe thrive is my adjunct word. When we moved into this house 6 1/2 years ago, I was eight+ months pregnant with my fifth, new to the state, and the following several years have been a blur of medical frenzy.

Exhale....now I am ready to tackle some jobs that have repeatedly been pushed to the back burner while we....breathed. So....it is time to clean out, give away, purge, spiffy up, shine....I’m happy to do this, it is a VICTORY of sorts, to have the time to arrange my spice area just to my liking...and then see what a big difference it makes to have a container labeled, “Baking” with my cinnamon and other baking spices in it. Eureka!!!

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Jan 11 2014 at 3:09pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

4 lads mom wrote:
ORGANIZE

I know...that seems sort of weird for a word, but I have never been organized in my life. It takes a lot of work and thought for me to organize, but I am finding I am very capable of setting things up in a reasonable, workable fashion if I have the time. The past week I have made the time to clean out some key areas in our kitchen....and it has opened my eyes to how much more I really need to organize.

For so long, we have been skidding along, surviving. This year, I want us to THRIVE. Maybe thrive is my adjunct word. When we moved into this house 6 1/2 years ago, I was eight+ months pregnant with my fifth, new to the state, and the following several years have been a blur of medical frenzy.

Exhale....now I am ready to tackle some jobs that have repeatedly been pushed to the back burner while we....breathed. So....it is time to clean out, give away, purge, spiffy up, shine....I’m happy to do this, it is a VICTORY of sorts, to have the time to arrange my spice area just to my liking...and then see what a big difference it makes to have a container labeled, “Baking” with my cinnamon and other baking spices in it. Eureka!!!

Love BOTH your words!

And, "Organize" certainly doesn't seem weird to ME!!! You did make me smile though because I've been tidying up my little spice center today so when you mentioned yours, I thought, "YES! I can totally relate!" It always feels a bit like I'm reclaiming frugality and usefulness after I've organized a little space! I know what I have, it's usefully arranged, I've made it pretty and pleasing to look at. And invariably, I found something I didn't remember I had which means I can be a better steward of things we already have! It's just a great, inward feeling, isn't it?! Big smile!

Happy organizing, friend! Big hugs to all the kiddos! Back to my cinnamon and red pepper flakes and my label maker!!!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version