Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: Winter Promise Curriculum? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 01 2006 at 4:25pm | IP Logged Quote folklaur

Hi,

Is anyone using (or has seen IRL) Winter Promise curriculum?

I have read many reviews on it, and think it might be an excellent fit for my younger ones. I was just wondering if anyone has experience with it. It seems to have a relaxed feel to it, but it is so hard to tell sight-unseen!

Thanks,
Back to Top View folklaur's Profile Search for other posts by folklaur

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 01 2006 at 5:46pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

I've seen the website, but it is so expensive I had to leave it at that. It did look very interesting.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Mary Chris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 01 2006 at 6:45pm | IP Logged Quote Mary Chris

I am glad you asked this question as I have been wondering about it myself. I am wondering if you can buy just the plans. The book packages make it cost prohibitive. I think I have a lot of those books sitting on my shelves already.

folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 01 2006 at 7:09pm | IP Logged Quote folklaur

I know that you can buy just the Instruc. Guides. I also have, or can get for less, a lot of the books - so that would be how I would do it.

The website is being updated, and I haven't gotten my catalog yet, so I have no idea what the new/updated programs look like.

We have used Sonlight before, and although I do like it, I just felt like a lot of the books might be too much for my ds emotionally. Academically he would do okay, but since he is so sensitive.....

Katie
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 02 2006 at 2:20am | IP Logged Quote Katie

I'm seriously considering buying it for my two little girls next year, who will be 5 and 6 and a half. We've been FIARing for a long time, and I feel we need a change. I'm also looking at CHC, though.

Not a lot of help, am I?

Just to add that as I am overseas and don't have a library, I would probably end up purchasing the books, too. Many of them are on my wishlist anyway, for example the "one square inch" series (is that what they are calle? Having a memory issue - sorry.). I am waiting for the catalogue to get a better idea before I make a decision, though.

JennyMaine
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 03 2006 at 4:43am | IP Logged Quote JennyMaine

Hi there! I just wanted to chime in, because this is the curriculum I've used this year (American Story I). We love it and will continue on with it next year.

What first caught my eye, in addition to the wonderul readers and read-alouds, were the language arts resources. We've been using products from EPS in our home for a while (Explode the Code, Right into Reading, Just Write, etc.) and they are excellent. They make a difference for my struggling reader.

I had started out with FIAR unit studies, then progressed to a Seton/CHC combo for a time. But I missed real books! We still use Seton for religion, English and an occasionally story from a Faith & Freedom reader. That's it!

I have had to tweak WinterPromise ASI slightly, and I'm sure I'll continue to do so. Of course, I bring in saints stories for the time period, etc. I pull out my copy of Pioneers & Patriots every now and then to be sure we're getting the Catholic perspective on things. I've brought in a couple library books to help do spin control on the way things are presented in the 500 Nations dvds that are a recommended resource for ASI. (example: the Aztecs).

My children are loving the hands-on activities scheduled in the guides. They are retaining information more easily this year, and the curriculum is very easy on mom. The improved attitudes toward lessons that I've seen in my kids is enough to sell me on it!

Let me know if there are any questions I can help with!
Jen

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 03 2006 at 5:49am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

I'd never heard of this curriculum. I'm now looking forward to receiving their catalog in the mail. Thanks for mentioning it, Laura!

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

TracyQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 03 2006 at 8:17am | IP Logged Quote TracyQ

Thanks Jen for your review.

My friend is using this this year, and loves it! I've looked at it online for awhile, and it's on my list of possibilities for two years ('07-'08) with our daughter who will be in 7th grade that year. We're considering it for her then, as we're going to be using The Prairie Primer this coming year for 6th grade.

I also wanted to mention to you, that I have emailed the authors of this curriculum with questions too, and they are SO helpful, and wonderful. I think their website is well done, for a newer curriculum (something that I think is important).

What really struck me while perusing the curriculum (on the site) too, is how amazingly well they fit the Language Arts into the curriculum. It seemed to be done much better to me than any I'd seen in other curriculums.

My only concern is the way the history is presented. That's always my concern, as I'm not confident with my historical knowledge enough to be able to counter any inaccuracies, particularly any perspectives we don't want presented, or want to be careful about. But I do know my dh could help me a lot with that. It's that good that I would consider it anyway, because I love the look of this curriculum, and have been pleased thus far with the hearts of the people that wrote it. They seem to be very helpful, and kind.

Here is the website for anyone who wants to see it:
Winterpromise Curriculum

homeschooling in 15th year in Buffalo, NY
Back to Top View TracyQ's Profile Search for other posts by TracyQ

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 19 2007 at 11:52am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

Can I bring this thread back up and ask if those using it are still happy with it? I'm looking at it for next year, but I would only purchase the guides. I also noticed they have a preschool program and was looking at that. I would appreciate your opinions.
Thanks

Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 19 2007 at 6:58pm | IP Logged Quote folklaur

Hmmmmm.....

Well, honestly, I ended up not too thrilled (after being so hopeful & enthusiastic to start....).

It is...okay. I am happily back using Sonlight, though.

Maybe it is because they are a new company? I often felt like there was little tieing the various reading topics together. It was just so choppy. There didn't seem to be a lot of thought put into the scheduling of the books.
I was having to do a lot of prep work to have it line up better, and make "sense" for us.

However, their activity suggestions, video/internet suggestions, they were great. I think that after a few years, after they work through their "growing pains" so to speak, they could have a really great program. There is a lot of potential there.

However, I still think SL is much, much better overall.

JennyMaine
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 20 2007 at 7:00am | IP Logged Quote JennyMaine

Funny you should bring this up. I've been having a week where I feel like a squirrel in the road in terms of curriculum choices! (sort of like Hammy in Over the Hedge!) I keep looking at CHC, Christian Cottage unit studies and WP. There are things I like about each, but I don't like any of them as a whole, KWIM?

I really love the readers, read-alouds and guides for WP. We enjoyed the weblinks and hands-on activities. It was the la portion that wasn't working for me in the long run. Specifically, it was much too light on grammar in the third and fourth grade levels for my taste. I kept finding myself thinking it was too light, not enough, and we were losing ground in la. We did keep using Seton for those subjects. I keep finding programs that I feel have a lack of balance. . .they are either too overwhelming or too light. Right now, I find the pace of Seton English 5 to be overwhelming. . .some days there are 5-6 pages assigned for one lesson. To me, that should be a week's worth! The scheduling of the workbook doesn't flow. But I digress.

So, I've been praying and thinking about using CHC with WinterPromise for the rest of the year and seeing how that works. I really missed having Catholic content when I tried doing just WP. But I think if I use CHC for spelling, grammar, and religion, along with WP's writing assignments. . .now that would work really well. I also have the Furlong history books sitting here to use when needed as a spine. I'm still tempted to get From Sea to Shining Sea. . .just because I'm a history nut and I want it!

WP is the program my kids have enjoyed most. They really enjoyed the read-alouds. There were no complaints about schoolwork, no tears when we did WP. While I love parts of both Seton and CHC, I really miss the literature aspect. By the time the kids have read through a graded reader, a history lesson, a science text, grammar, etc. . . .who has energry and focus left to read for fun? Mine didn't. With WP I knew they were reading good books and enjoying them.

To sum up (I always get so longwinded!), WP is a keeper for me if I add in some Catholic materials to it. I think CHC is the way to go, because they are easy for the kids to use -- freeing up mom's time to implement a literature-based history. I like the fact that WP is growing and adding new programs each year. I plan on starting the Chess curriculum as an extra for my son. I really would like to do the Adventures in the Sea & Sky program at some point. Right now, we'd be working our way through American Story II.

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Jan 20 2007 at 7:13am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Jen,
If you are going to use CHC for grammar, what are you using? What I mean is, after your kids are beyond Language of God, will you use Lingua Mater? I'm having trouble fitting Lingua Mater with unit studies because Lingua Mater is both grammar and writing. Better put, it's grammar in the context of writing. That means that I'm hesitant to assign unit-related writing because it's just too much. How are you integrating the two?

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

JennyMaine
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 20 2007 at 8:17am | IP Logged Quote JennyMaine

Well, I have to say that I haven't seen Lingua Mater yet. I don't think I would use it, for the exact reason you mentioned. If I do stick with WP, the writing assignments are included in the LA guide (which I will purchase even if I'm not using all the other LA components. Because I only have 2 children and they combine easily at most levels, it is worth it for me to buy the LA guide.) I want the writing assignments to correlate to history and/or science. In other words, to be relevant to what is being studied and not some random writing assignment just for the sake of assigning an assignment!   

When I'm beyond the LOG series, I might do a year or more of hardcore Seton grammar. . .stretching it way out! Or even turn to the old Voyages in English? Or Rod & Staff? Not sure.

I think I struggle because at heart I'm very eclectic, but I like the security and sense of belonging that comes with using one curriculum. When I did the survey in Cathy Duffy's 100 Top Picks book, I came out as mostly a unit study person. We all know how problematic that is, as there aren't very many Catholic unit studies to pick from! So, I feel as though I just can't find my groove. I'm not classical at all; not really scholastic either, and that's virtually all there is to pick from in the Catholic homeschool world. I like some of Charlotte Mason's ideas, but feel much is impractical in my situation. So, I want a 100% Catholic curriculum, but can't find one that fits my style/philosophy. Sigh. I've had this struggle since the beginning and it hasn't been resolved in my mind! KWIM?

I think that I need to accept the fact that I have to follow my little eclectic heart!

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 20 2007 at 9:36am | IP Logged Quote Martha

Elizabeth wrote:

Lingua Mater? I'm having trouble fitting Lingua Mater with unit studies because Lingua Mater is both grammar and writing. Better put, it's grammar in the context of writing. That means that I'm hesitant to assign unit-related writing because it's just too much. How are you integrating the two?

I have Lingua Mater and am planning on using it for my soon to be 7th grader. I also want their writing to be history/science focused. Something "real" vs random. I can't wait to use LM though. I assign history/science writing weekly as we go, so it's not too hard to balance things. If it's a week where there seems to be long-ish writing assignments from LM, then I may ask for a lighter assignment for history/science that week. Or the reverse. At least, that is my "plan". LOL So far it is working with Stories with a View and Seton.

I'm strongly paring down the LA subjects to ONE subject after about 2nd or 3rd grade. (vs spelling, vocab, grammar, writing, and penmanship!) I am still using Seton and CHC's worktexts, but only about 2 lessons a week at most. All the rest are in our writing assignments. I no longer do all the writing assignments as listed in the Seton plans. I substitute with history/science unless it's an assignment for a grade. We still send in the ones for a grade. Given the grades they are getting back, I'd say this is working for us. I can also say my kids are starting to enjoy writing more than they have in a long time and the quality as gone up because of it.

I have the WP Chess and the kids are enjoying it. It is very light, in a good way, which makes it easy to add in the day. However, if your kids are chess fans like mine, they will easily want to do a week or 2 in a day.

I have been drooling over the WP Seas and Skies and the Animals package for over a year now, but have not had the funds or the gumption to leave my comfort zone and give them a try. I can say I'm familiar with many of the books recommended and they are excellent, imho.

Back to Top View Martha's Profile Search for other posts by Martha Visit Martha's Homepage

folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 20 2007 at 12:12pm | IP Logged Quote folklaur

Oh -- I thought I should add --

We used Animal Worlds, for a second grader (ds age 7) and pre-k (dd age 4).

Many of the book choices were great. I love the "One Small Square" series, and the readers were very good choices. I have since sold the IG, but kept all of the readers.

An exception was the 2nd grade add-on books. They are all different books from this series here.     I didn't like them.

The problem was with the scheduling. It was like they just said, "we want to use this book, and we need to finish it in x days, so divide the number of pages by the days and peg it into the schedule." It just didn't....flow....very well.

Another issue was with the pre-school books. They are similar to the wildlife books mentioned above. And the way that letters were introduced didn't make sense or tie into the animals you were studying. I know many moms who re-adjusted so the letters sounds/ habitats/ and animals would all line up. I didn't have the time to do that myself, so I am glad that they did it . But I think the publisher's should have thought of that.

We have the chess set (younger age version.) Light but good. As was siad, we do much more in a sitting than the IG says.

I will pull in books from the others levels, I think. I like the biography books. I think somtimes the books are a little more age appropriate than the ones SL chooses.

I did a little review of AW at this thread when I first received it.

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 20 2007 at 3:05pm | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

I read your review Laura, and it was very helpful. Thanks so much. I am wondering about the pre-school books. Did you actually get the pre-school curriculum, or are these included in the animals curriculum?

Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

Leonie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 20 2007 at 9:47pm | IP Logged Quote Leonie

cactus mouse wrote:
.However, I still think SL is much, much better overall.

That's interesting for me - simply because my 15 year old, who likes goals and structure, will be using the reading list and discussion parts of the old Sonlight Year 8 curriculum - I think its now just called Church History or History of God's Kingdom?

I've used this level in a similar way before, with my third son in 2001, and I really like how SL put things together. We used bits here and there ( very us!) and it still flowed...

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 01 2007 at 10:07pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Well after the discussion here I checked out the website and asked for the catalogue which they very kindly sent.

One frustrating thing about the catalogue is they don't list the authors with the book titles

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version