Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: Winter Promise Curriculum..again Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 06 2006 at 10:57pm | IP Logged Quote folklaur

Hi,

Awhile ago, I had asked others for input on this curriculum. Well, since I actually ordered it, I thought I would let others know what I have found out so far.

First, let me say, I like it. A lot.

It combines lots and lots of books and reading with hands-on activities, crafts, & ideas, plus suggestions for websites, videos, etc to round out the subject your learning about.

The customer service has been absolutly amazing. Beyond amazing. My order had been held up, and other items I had mentioned that I was only considering getting ( over $100 worth) they included in the box that was late. For free. They just moved from Alaska to Vermont, and I called and told tem they really, really didn't need to do that, that I understood, but they really want their customers to be happy. They even wanted to pray for my daughter who was having kidney issues. They are just nice people!

I haven't started yet, but I have gone over the Teacher's Guides, and they look wonderful.

I will be using their Animal Worlds program with my 2nd grader, and the Quest for the Ancient World with my 10/11th grader.

If anyone wants any updates as we start to get into it more, just let me know
Back to Top View folklaur's Profile Search for other posts by folklaur

amyable
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 07 2006 at 6:31am | IP Logged Quote amyable

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! I just got their catalog in the mail a day or two ago and it looks good.

Back to Top View amyable's Profile Search for other posts by amyable

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 11 2006 at 10:48am | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

I got a catalogue in the mail the other day, too, and ma looking forward to browsing it (we've had company in town and then left for another state ourselves so its been crazy around here).

What are your thoughts on it being a nonCatholic curriculum? Does it look doable? Did you drop any books?

I'm up for a review if you want to do one, Laura.

~Books

mothering ds'93 dd'97 dd'99 dd'02 ds'05 ds'07 and due 9/10
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

Leonie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 11 2006 at 6:25pm | IP Logged Quote Leonie

I'd love to read a reveiw - thank you!

folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 13 2006 at 3:39pm | IP Logged Quote folklaur

Bookswithtea wrote:

What are your thoughts on it being a nonCatholic curriculum? Does it look doable? Did you drop any books?

Hi!

I am going to split this into two reviews, since each of the levels I ordered are quite different.

So -- first, this is about Animal Worlds, which is listed in the catalog as being a Pre-K to 2nd grade program ( though I do know of people using it for 3rd and higher also, however, they are mainly using it as a science supplement.)

Let me start off with the fact that this level is a Science focus level. You don't really touch on history – however, there is more than enough here to be a complete curriculum – especially at this age level. This level is studying animals and their habitats. At the younger level, you will tie in letters (as we go over Zebra, and where the Zebra lives, little ones - like my dd4 - will be making a Z craft, using resources like the Alphabet Art book). Older students will create wildlife habitats and things like that.

All the items and such you need for the crafts are listed at the beginning of the guide, broken down by weeks, and if there is going to be something "different" or unusual, it lets you know. It also tells you, for instance, that you will need 7 empty egg cartons, or 2 shoeboxes throughout the year, so you can be saving them up as you go....)

All the activities that are listed for the week are also notated with things like "easy, light prep, moderate, etc" so you can pick and choose which activities will best fit your children (and the amount of time/ work you want to put into it.)

There are small "cards" in the front of the guide to cut out, to give ideas for narrations, such as "Tell about a place or scene" or "Tell about a Character" – and then more specific idea too -- such as, “what do you think the character will do next – even if you have finished the book” -- This is helpful for my reluctant narrator )

For this level, I don't really have to drop the "Bible" portion, either. It uses two books, "God made everything weird & wacky" and "God made everything strange & slimy" -- which talks about unusual animals and seems pretty neat. The books also include websites to find out more or see pictures, etc.

The level uses DK's Animal Encyclopedia for the spine, and Eric Carle's "Animals, Animals" for the younger set.   Also – you use the “One Small Square” series (Desert, Rainforest, African Savannah, etc.) They are very nice books, and ds7 really likes them.   I think I would keep them even if we sold the rest of the level when we were finished. They are colorful and, well, I just like them

Read alouds include books like “Mr. Popper’s Penguins,” “Ereth’s Birthday,” “Flute’s Journey” and more…I have found nothing I would need to drop so far….

Also, they have the “Make-Your-Own” Animal Notebook pages. It is a simple notebooking resource, and each page is set up the same, where the child can tell about the animal’s habitat, food, something unusual, etc. By the end of the year, they will have their own book that they made all about the animals they studied.

To bring in a little history/social studies (because I just *have* to ) I got the DK “Children Just Like Me” book, and as we study the habitats, I will tie in the countries associated.

The language arts guide for this level (actually all levels) is holed punched on the opposite side – so when you put the guides together in a binder, the whole week is laid out (no flipping to different sections for LA.) I like this simple idea

I am not sure about the LA stuff, as I have never used them before, or taught a 2nd grader before, but I do like the fact that they use books like “A mink, a fink, a skating rink : What is a noun?” to help go over the parts of speech. They also use Spellwell, Wordly Wise, things like that. I will probably use CHC for spelling and grammer simply because I already have them.

The LA guide goes with the Main level guide, so for 2nd grade the readers are things like ‘Hector Springs Loose, The Backward Bird Dog” and others like that. They are right on my reader’s level, and a good fit. The readers are different for 1st grade, a little easier (like “Batbaby Finds a Home.”)

The guides also have extra suggestions – websites to find out more about the animals you are studying, video and CD suggestions, magazine suggestions, additional books you might want to look into, etc...

I am looking forward to using this! I will let you all know how it goes once we fully jump in!

Leonie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 14 2006 at 2:03am | IP Logged Quote Leonie

Thanks for the review. Would love to hear your impressions of the higher level - when you get time.

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: June 14 2006 at 2:37pm | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

It sounds really neat!

folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 06 2006 at 12:33pm | IP Logged Quote folklaur

Okay, I have to update this review a little bit

For the most part, I like the book selections, and we are having fun reading the books. I went through them last night, trying to weed out books to sell, and found I would be keeping most of them. (Not the PreK/K Activity books though. I wish I had realized what they were, as our library has them all. )

However, I have found that the Animal Worlds program doesn't really flow quite like I was wanting. I have to tweak it quite a bit.

The idea is good, and the "extras" in the IG are very nice (the narration cards are so helpful to a reluctant narrator -- but could be found elsewhere, I am sure.)

Just thought I should give an update.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version